Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

****s sake molloyjh sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't know if you've intentionally omitted Leavy from your list, but he brings it up to 24 if not released. As you say, he may well be allowed to travel, he definitely stands out a bit from the other players who didn't go to Chicago so that would be something.

We can still field a reasonable team but it's basically a Leinster 'A' lineup.

I’m an optimistic sort! Leavy hasn’t had much game time so I’d hope to see him travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Leinster shouldn't be losing this even with a depleted side. Kings have no scrum to speak of no lineout of value, terrible discipline, 2 players that can cause issues, and a bit of fight at the breakdown.
    If Leinster keep the ball don't kick lose, and grind the king's down it will be a boring yet professional win. Too many teams lose the heads when they travel to SA and get dragged into a game they don't want to play

Leinster shouldn't be losing this even with a depleted side. Kings have no scrum to speak of no lineout of value, terrible discipline, 2 players that can cause issues, and a bit of fight at the breakdown.
    If Leinster keep the ball don't kick lose, and grind the king's down it will be a boring yet professional win. Too many teams lose the heads when they travel to SA and get dragged into a game they don't want to play

To be fair to Kings, they did beat Glasgow a few weeks back. And it wasn't a particularly weak Glasgow team. Our squad won't have had much time together either so will be fairly disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

molloyjh wrote: »
    To be fair to Kings, they did beat Glasgow a few weeks back. And it wasn't a particularly weak Glasgow team. Our squad won't have had much time together either so will be fairly disjointed.

Glasgow went down and threw the ball around and kicked badly with a Scrumhalf at 10. The second they tightened up even a small bit they were the better team but left themselves too much to do.

If Leinster play 10 man rugby and don't kick to Banda they will be better than Glasgow from the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

McFadden out for 4 months with injury and Rob Kearney to be assessed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Apparently Dave K might be available for the weekend so that's a help.

Unbelievably bad luck for McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What’s the story with Barry Dalys injury, when is he due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow went down and threw the ball around and kicked badly with a Scrumhalf at 10. The second they tightened up even a small bit they were the better team but left themselves too much to do.

If Leinster play 10 man rugby and don't kick to Banda they will be better than Glasgow from the beginning

Leinster are going to have a bloke at 10 who hasn't started a match there for us in about 5 years. The Scarlets beat them last weekend with a match day squad featuring about 12 of the guys who were in their European 23. They had to rely on a late yellow card and two tries in the final 8 minutes for a single score win.

I think we should have enough to win if we have Leavy available. Dave Kearney being back would be a massive boost too given how threadbare we are in the backline.

With that said, this is far from the certain win people would have expected a few months back. The Kings have improved a hell of a lot since last season to the point where they're just a relatively poor team now as opposed to the absolute cannon fodder they were.

stephen_n wrote: »
    What’s the story with Barry Dalys injury, when is he due back?

Bit of a Conor Murray job I think, he looked in a really bad way coming off in Cardiff but since then all we've heard is that it's his knee, with no details and no return date.

• Advertisement

Bit of a Conor Murray job I think, he looked in a really bad way coming off in Cardiff but since then all we've heard is that it's his knee, with no details and no return date.

Saw him walking around near Ranelagh last week and he seemed fine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah was wondering because I didn’t remember him coming up on any injury updates. Pity as we could use him now. Though Adam Byrne went quite well last week, which was good to see. If DK is back that will really help out with the FB situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I really don't get this béal bocht, threadbare-in-the-backs spiel. There are good options in every position:

9: Gibson-Park, O'Sullivan
    10: Reid, Harry Byrne
    11: Lowe, Tomane
    12: Conor O'Brien, Tom Daly
    13: O'Loughlin, Jimmy O'Brien
    14: Adam Byrne, David Kearney
    15: Frawley, Kelly

Guys lower down the pecking order are just coming off winning the Celtic Cup. Playing the Kings would be the next step along the pathway for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really don't get this béal bocht, threadbare-in-the-backs spiel. There are good options in every position:

9: Gibson-Park, O'Sullivan
    10: Reid, Harry Byrne
    11: Lowe, Tomane
    12: Conor O'Brien, Tom Daly
    13: O'Loughlin, Jimmy O'Brien
    14: Adam Byrne, David Kearney
    15: Frawley, Kelly

Guys lower down the pecking order are just coming off winning the Celtic Cup. Playing the Kings would be the next step along the pathway for them

WDC with Frawley at 15? Is that his preferred position?

Who are the 24 FF? By my count we'll be missing:

Healy, McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Porter, Toner, Ryan, Ruddock, VDF, SOB, Conan, Connors, Luke McGrath, Sexton, Byrne, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Rob Kearney, Dave Kearney, McFadden, Barry Daly

That's 22. Who am I missing? Obviously we'll be missing 1 of the 3 foreign players too, bringing it up to 23.

Either way that's an insane number of absentees for any team to have to absorb. That we can put out the side we can given that is impressive. But it won't be enough IMO.

Who's Connors?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Who's Connors?
    Will Connors backrow. Promoted from academy for this season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Who's Connors?

Porridge

errlloyd wrote: »

He can play 10, 12 and 15. Dunno which is his favourite, and I haven't seen enough of him in each one to form an opinion as to which he is best in

Also, the idea that Reid/HB at 10 and Frawley/Kelly are good options is a massive stretch. How many of those have played at this level in those positions? Reid is a break glass in case of emergency option at 10 and Frawley is massively inexperienced generally, let alone at FB. Harry Byrne and Jack Kelly have never played at this level before.

The simple fact of the matter is we are threadbare and this will be a tough test for what will be a 3rd strength team predominantly.

Also, the idea that Reid/HB at 10 and Frawley/Kelly are good options is a massive stretch. How many of those have played at this level in those positions? Reid is a break glass in case of emergency option at 10 and Frawley is massively inexperienced generally, let alone at FB. Harry Byrne and Jack Kelly have never played at this level before.

The simple fact of the matter is we are threadbare and this will be a tough test for what will be a 3rd strength team predominantly.

I was going for an even spread of options across the backline positions. You could have Lowe or DK at fullback if you prefer, and Frawley is an option at 10.

11. Lowe, 14. Adam Byrne, 15. Dave Kearney; 23. Tomane is hardly a weak back three.

You'd swear it was wall-to-wall first year academy players and guys who had just been called up from the AIL the way some people are going on

• Advertisement

Lowe was in a Sam's barbers preparing for Movember today. So I guess he's not flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

4 years ago yesterday Slammin Sam signed for Bath. A great day for Leinster rugby as it would turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lowe was in a Sam's barbers preparing for Movember today. So I guess he's not flying.
    How do they correlate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

kmart6 wrote: »
    How do they correlate?

The fall of the House of Lancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Always found that to be a funny one, England were winning before they took him off the pitch.

The fall of the House of Lancaster

The "how do they correlate" question was about the connection between Lowe getting a haircut and being left out of the squad for South Africa.

The answer is; they don't. The squad trained yesterday in Dublin so Lowe being in a barber's doesn't mean anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

The squad haven’t even left yet

Oh right. Mad. Munster left ages ago. I guess maybe they're playing at alititude so want some more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The "how do they correlate" question was about the connection between Lowe getting a haircut and being left out of the squad for South Africa.

The answer is; they don't. The squad trained yesterday in Dublin so Lowe being in a barber's doesn't mean anything.
    Yeah that was my point, people trying to read in to things too much.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hope Lowe has checked his visa requirements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement