Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I was referring to post #3,148

Yeah but you paraphrased, you monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Still a decent 23 despite Leinster missing another full squad worth of player to Ireland duty. Was hoping some of the non-capped players who travelled with the squad would get a place in the 23, but an away game in a 3rd string selection probably isn't the best time to start them.

15. Dave Kearney (125)
    14. Adam Byrne (40)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (47)
    12. Conor O’Brien (4)
    11. Joe Tomane (8)
    10. Noel Reid (104)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (57)
    1. Ed Byrne (27)
    2. James Tracy (74)
    3. Michael Bent (109)
    4. Ross Molony (68)
    5. Scott Fardy (28) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (11)
    7. Dan Leavy (57)
    8. Max Deegan (26)

16. Bryan Byrne (29)
    17. Peter Dooley (51)
    18. Vakh Abdaladze (2)
    19. Mick Kearney (39)
    20. Caelan Doris (3)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (2)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (3)
    23. Tom Daly (10)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Decent team all in all

Kelleher, Penny and Jimmy all left out. Disappointing but not overly surprised.

Would be extremely happy with a win here but not overly surprised if we lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Decent team all in all

Hopefully they'll get a chance in a slightly less green team. Probably a bit much to throw them in this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Decent team all in all

I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen Kelleher yet, thought he'd have played some senior rugby by now.

• Advertisement

I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen Kelleher yet, thought he'd have played some senior rugby by now.

The other 3 senior hookers have all been fit and are performing pretty well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Leinster are 14 point favourites for this. That's a bit mad.

It's a decent team, looking forward to it. Very strong pack, backline a bit all over the shop but might click.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

When you look at the amount of caps (40) that A Byrne has , its nuts. Feels like he ha more and has been around longer.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    When you look at the amount of caps (40) that A Byrne has , its nuts. Feels like he ha more and has been around longer.

His first cap did come almost 6 years ago now ha

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I would love to see some new talent come through the academy in the second row. Don't get me wrong I  love Ryan, Toner,  and Fardy and to a lesser extent  Moloney but would love to see someone come in and replace Nagle and Mick Kearney. Would even love to see Leinster bring in someone like Ultan Dillane to bolster their options. His contract is up at the seasons end with Connacht and he would give Leinster serious depth moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

jonok28 wrote: »
    I would love to see some new talent come through the academy in the second row. Don't get me wrong I  love Ryan, Toner,  and Fardy and to a lesser extent  Moloney but would love to see someone come in and replace Nagle and Mick Kearney. Would even love to see Leinster bring in someone like Ultan Dillane to bolster their options. His contract is up at the seasons end with Connacht and he would give Leinster serious depth moving forward.

I don't really think we need another second row tbh. Obviously Fardy will leave soon and the world cup will be tricky, but our two starting second rows are class, and Dev in particular has produced serious minutes with a very positive injury profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's a few 2nd rows in the academy. Dowling, Baird and Dunne. I would hope they all develop and become top flight players.
    Hopefully we get a look at one of them this year.
    Josh Murphy can cover 2nd row also.
    Dillane would be brilliant, but I can't see him leaving Connacht. He's more likely to go to Munster as he's from Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'd love to see an academy player come through - let's go for a Connacht player... Yup that makes sense

Dunne most likely to make the grade from the Academy. Quite highly rated. Very impressive physical attributes

errlloyd wrote: »

I don't really think we need another second row tbh. Obviously Fardy will leave soon and the world cup will be tricky, but our two starting second rows are class, and Dev in particular has produced serious minutes with a very positive injury profile.
    I'm a big big fan of Dev, I just think currently other than James Ryan the position is in flux moving forward. Dev is 32 and hopefully he can play at a top level for a few more years, Fardy is still immense but like you said he is not a long term solution and other than Moloney I'm not enamored at all by the depth Leinster have at the position. I would love to see some top young prospects coming through  the academy and pushing on over the coming years, that would be the ideal scenario but I think adding to the talent pool with someone like Dillane is the best of both worlds. You create serious depth at the position and the drop off isn't that significant during the international tests.

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm a big big fan of Dev, I just think currently other than James Ryan the position is in flux moving forward. Dev is 32 and hopefully he can play at a top level for a few more years, Fardy is still immense but like you said he is not a long term solution and other than Moloney I'm not enamored at all by the depth Leinster have at the position. I would love to see some top young prospects coming through  the academy and pushing on over the coming years, that would be the ideal scenario but I think adding to the talent pool with someone like Dillane is the best of both worlds. You create serious depth at the position and the drop off isn't that significant during the international tests.

I'd love to see an academy player come through - let's go for a Connacht player... Yup that makes sense
    I really hope that its an academy player that comes through and fills the future void but I don't see any problem in Leinster signing a Connacht player, the amount of players we have sent to each of the provinces over the last decade has been large. Yes we have signed players like Henshaw from Connacht in the past but if you can bring in an Irish international in Dillane to add to the ranks I can't see how that is a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Oh lordy :D

I really hope that its an academy player that comes through and fills the future void but I don't see any problem in Leinster signing a Connacht player, the amount of players we have sent to each of the provinces over the last decade has been large. Yes we have signed players like Henshaw from Connacht in the past but if you can bring in an Irish international in Dillane to add to the ranks I can't see how that is a bad move.

Other provinces don't sign guaranteed when fit starters internally capped players from Leinster (Jordi Murphy wasn't a guaranteed starter)

It's not good for Irish rugby to have a player like Dillane warming the bench at Leinster over starting for Connacht.
    You're doing an apples and oranges comparison

Other provinces don't sign guaranteed when fit starters internally capped players from Leinster (Jordi Murphy wasn't a guaranteed starter)

It's not good for Irish rugby to have a player like Dillane warming the bench at Leinster over starting for Connacht.
    You're doing an apples and oranges comparison
    I would argue that  Jordi Murphy  was a starter last season for Leinster and played an important role for Ireland and that Carbery is second choice for Ireland was getting some decent playing time with Leinster at 10 and 15. I will agree that it does not benefit Irish Rugby to have someone of Dillane's talent on the bench. I will reiterate that I want above all else is an Academy player to come into the mix and add to the Leinster squad, that is priority one in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Leave Dillane in Connacht unless he's unhappy there. Let the academy boys come through and try and make an impact. James Ryan started in the academy in 2016 and look at him now. Baird and Dunne probably won't be Ryan good that quick but they'll be able to do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I thought he was a Munster player? :pac:

LostArt wrote: »
    I thought he was a Munster player? :pac:

He *Ahem* never got an academy place...

But yeah Kerry born but because he wasn't a "leader" type at that age he was offered a sub academy place not academy. So Carolan whonknew him from Ireland U20s went to him and said your worth more that, come to Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just give us Dillane ffs, don't be dicks about it like.

I thought they were disbanding Connacht anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He *Ahem* never got an academy place...

But yeah Kerry born but because he wasn't a "leader" type at that age he was offered a sub academy place not academy. So Carolan whonknew him from Ireland U20s went to him and said your worth more that, come to Connacht

Dillane needs to move, if he continued with his early progress he would be a starter in the Ireland team, he is hardly even in the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Connaught*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Sure Galway is in Leinster. Ask the GAA, they'll tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Realistically, why would Dillane even want to move to Leinster? If he has ambitions of getting back into the Irish setup then sitting behind Toner, Ryan and Fardy in the pecking order isn’t going to help with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Kevski wrote: »
    Realistically, why would Dillane even want to move to Leinster? If he has ambitions of getting back into the Irish setup then sitting behind Toner, Ryan and Fardy in the pecking order isn’t going to help with that.

Burritos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement