Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonad wrote: »
    Finally figured out who James Ryan looks like

This has bugged me for a long time

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/brooklynnine-nine/images/0/0b/Bill_Hader.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171101153058

You can be the one to tell him.

And he doesn't really.

The draw is still on...

Do we kick the 3 to deny them the LBP?

kmart6 wrote: »
    What's the most yellows in a Pro14 game?

46, in a Scottish festive derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mad game. Leinster all over the place. "Interesting" says Tommy Bowe. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That was hard watching.

Nine points clear at the top of the table though.

Thought JGP was decent, kept some degree of control. Dave K was good too. The front row absolutely minced them and Dooley and B Byrne continued that when they came on.

A good result, now let's never speak of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster can't be happy with this second half.

They shouldn’t be too happy with the first half either, got very lucky today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

mangobob wrote: »
    I have no idea what to expect in the second half. We could just as likely run up a cricket score as we do to concede a few silly tries and end up with a tight finish.

So it was latter.

I cant remember a time when we got a bonus point win with a worse performance. We played a team that had 5 yellow cards and 13 men at one stage and we still only won by 6 points. Yes we had a shadow side but that was lamentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Performance was very iffy but we were missing over 20 players. A bonus point win away in South Africa is an excellent results in those circumstances. Puts Leinster in control of their pool. Four points ahead of 2nd place but with a game in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

mangobob wrote: »
    We played a team that had 5 yellow cards

Are we not all agreed it was 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Are we not all agreed it was 4?

Sorry. There were so many I lost count :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Clegg wrote: »
    Four points ahead of 2nd place but with a game in hand.

What game in hand? Everyone in Group B has played 8, only teams who have only played 7 are in Group A and they're all playing today.

Leinster are 8 points ahead of Ulster in Group B and 1 point ahead of Glasgow overall.

Performance was very iffy but we were missing over 20 players. A bonus point win away in South Africa is an excellent results in those circumstances. Puts Leinster in control of their pool. Four points ahead of 2nd place but with a game in hand.
    Four points ahead of 2nd place but with a game in hand.

What game in hand? Everyone in Group B has played 8, only teams who have only played 7 are in Group A and they're all playing today.

Leinster are 8 points ahead of Ulster in Group B and 1 point ahead of Glasgow overall.
    Pro 14 table hadn't updated when I read it after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We were missing 23 going into it and lost another 3 or 4 to injury during plus had combinations that hadn’t played together this season with a 3rd choice 12 playing at 10. We got maximum points from the game. I think we can be happy with that and move on to Ospreys in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

molloyjh wrote: »
    We were missing 23 going into it and lost another 3 or 4 to injury during plus had combinations that hadn’t played together this season with a 3rd choice 12 playing at 10. We got maximum points from the game. I think we can be happy with that and move on to Ospreys in a few weeks.

23? I thought it was 22

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

23? I thought it was 22

Well that changes things completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

23? I thought it was 22

You’re so cheeky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

23? I thought it was 22

You’re so cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fairly brutal game to watch. Some serious defensive lapses by a number of players leading directly to tries. Deegan continues to have a shocking case of second season syndrome. He doesn't look near to the player that was looking likely to threaten the first choice 23 in the next 1-2 years.

Reid was actually pretty decent for a lad who is a centre playing 10. Passed well and threatened the gain line repeatedly with his running. Can't ask much more of him given his lack of time in the jersey. Some of the fringe forwards went very well too such as Bent and Byrne. Fardy and Leavy looked a class above without ever really killing themselves.

ROL is unlucky. He was going well when he went off. Disrupted us badly in midfield although Daly went well enough and looked comfortable.

Dave Kearney was a class apart in the back line. Found space, hit hard, made one superb full length covering tackle. Very good timing for Leinster if he's back with some of the absences in the back three now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Buer wrote: »
    Fairly brutal game to watch. Some serious defensive lapses by a number of players leading directly to tries. Deegan continues to have a shocking case of second season syndrome. He doesn't look near to the player that was looking likely to threaten the first choice 23 in the next 1-2 years.

Reid was actually pretty decent for a lad who is a centre playing 10. Passed well and threatened the gain line repeatedly with his running. Can't ask much more of him given his lack of time in the jersey. Some of the fringe forwards went very well too such as Bent and Byrne. Fardy and Leavy looked a class above without ever really killing themselves.

ROL is unlucky. He was going well when he went off. Disrupted us badly in midfield although Daly went well enough and looked comfortable.

Dave Kearney was a class apart in the back line. Found space, hit hard, made one superb full length covering tackle. Very good timing for Leinster if he's back with some of the absences in the back three now.

The second half was enjoyable enough. The first half was comically poor from both teams. Kings decided they only needed 13 men on the field to score a try against Leinster, and turned out that they were right.
    Reid has played a lot of rugby at 10, so the basics should be there. Within the space of 5 minutes, he missed touch with a penalty, and put a restart out on the full. Ran up several blind alleys. His defence was actually decent, but Leinster needs Frawley or A.N.Other to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The second half was enjoyable enough. The first half was comically poor from both teams. Kings decided they only needed 13 men on the field to score a try against Leinster, and turned out that they were right.
    Reid has played a lot of rugby at 10, so the basics should be there. Within the space of 5 minutes, he missed touch with a penalty, and put a restart out on the full. Ran up several blind alleys. His defence was actually decent, but Leinster needs Frawley or A.N.Other to step up.

God if I see Noel Reid dummy and step from ten one more time I'll cry.

CJay1 wrote: »
    Well that changes things completely.

It was 22 missing to Ireland or injury + 1 of the 3 foreign players (i.e. Lowe). Hence the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Heymans wrote: »
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Leinster are fine in the second row. Between the main 3 guys and Moloney/Kearney/Nagle there’s more than enough to be going with through this and probably next season.

There are 3/4 very good talents coming through. Dowling and Baird in particular look very exciting.

TBH I think Jonok is on a wind up. He either doesn't know about the 3 (2 average and 1 excellentBaird) second rows coming through the academy or he is purposely trying to do down those academy players. If he doesn't know about them then we cant really take his assertion that we bring in another second row seriously. If he does know about the 3 academy prospects then he is purposely trying to put them down by saying bring in someone else. These are very good players and prospects all of them.
    I'm not dismissing any of the academy players at all,  Baird, Dowling and Dunne are well heralded and especially Baird has a big future and yet again I reiterate my focus would be on bleeding in the young lads in the academy rather than bringing in players from the outside but maybe selfishly I'm a big fan of what Dillane can bring to the table in terms of his ball carrying skills, athleticism and power. I'm very well aware than we have a glut of talent at the moment with Ryan, Dev, Fardy and even have servicable back ups in Nagle Kearney and Moloney and even have some serious talent coming through the academy. hopefully by the time Fardy's contract is finished we have at least one of the academy lads come in and do a job.

With Deysel, Diack and now Henry leaving the Ulster set up I await a 'loan' deal for one of our younger backrows to be mooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

With Deysel, Diack and now Henry leaving the Ulster set up I await a 'loan' deal for one of our younger backrows to be mooted.

Ulster need to look much further south for a new player. They need a longer term signing.

Might be no harm tbh. Guys need gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Might be no harm tbh. Guys need gametime

Who? We had Penney traveling this week as cover. Between Ireland and injuries we are hardly overstocked at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If it wasn't a world cup year I would agree that sending a player up north for a loan would be a good thing.

But we're going to be missing players with camps etc, and injuries will also play a part. 3 or 4 of Conan/Ruddock/Leavy/VdF/SOB will be named as part of the squads, with others potentially being in the wider squad. We then have Deegan, Doris, Connors and Josh Murphy as cover. With the likes of Penney potentially being called up.

Ulster have several backrows in the Academy. Whether they're ready to step up or not is a different question, but I don't think we should start to be seen as a pool of resources for the other provinces to deplete when they're down on numbers.

• Advertisement

Ulster need something more than an Academy kid from Leinster at this stage. Quite where that will come from I'm not sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement