Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭sellit90000

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    They lost 64-7 to Munster or something too. That shows that the young guys need developing. Just throwing them all out on the park together isn't development.

who is advocating leinster put out a lot of unproven academy players against an interpro rival?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Leinster season ticket holders have today been email re 6 Nation ticket ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

who is advocating leinster put out a lot of unproven academy players against an interpro rival?

I never said that's what is happening either. Just there is a way to develop players and having experienced players mixed among them is a proven way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Ulster team that beat Leicester:

M Lowry; C Gilroy, W Addison; S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Burns, J Cooney; A Warwick, R Best (c), R Kane, A O'Connor, I Henderson, M Coetzee, J Murphy, N Timoney

Take Lowry out of that side and the average age is, well, average. Kernohan got three minutes off the bench, McBurney got six, long after the contest was over. Curtis got one minute.

If people think that it proves you can win big games with loads of young fellas, no, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ehhh, no he hasn't.

Byrne had much more pedigree and experience at outhalf than Frawley has now.

Frawley was viewed as a future 12 or possibly 15 for much of last season.

He has 4 senior appearances at 10 and has shown about as much promise as Byrne did at 4 senior appearances

• Advertisement

He has 4 senior appearances at 10 and has shown about as much promise as Byrne did at 4 senior appearances

All his senior appearances have not been at 10.

At the same age Byrne was a much bigger prospect at outhalf.

Frawley can't beat out Noel Reid FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The short and the long of it is that there were claims made here that people were basically losing their minds over the fact that we fast running down the depth chart. I don't think that was the case at all. Some of us are just concerned at the idea of having to rely on a squad consisting primarily of a number of 3rd or 4th choice players and what the impact of losing over 20 players would have on the overall squad selection. Anyone who thinks that isn't a fair concern to have is away with the fairies. It is of course a valid concern. It seems to be getting turned into something it's not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

molloyjh wrote: »
    The short and the long of it is that there were claims made here that people were basically losing their minds over the fact that we fast running down the depth chart. I don't think that was the case at all. Some of us are just concerned at the idea of having to rely on a squad consisting primarily of a number of 3rd or 4th choice players and what the impact of losing over 20 players would have on the overall squad selection. Anyone who thinks that isn't a fair concern to have is away with the fairies. It is of course a valid concern. It seems to be getting turned into something it's not though.

I was making a more general comment on a prevailing mindset on here. When Henshaw got injured last year there were people saying a medical joker was an absolute must. It was the same when there was an injury to an outhalf. Carbery against Fiji, was it? Some were saying running out and getting short-term cover was the way to go.

Losing a lot of players around international windows is Leinster's lot. The dramatics from some every time it happens are tiresome. If losing Tomane and having to pick Keenan is the difference between Leinster winning or losing at home to the Ospreys, the Kings and the Cheetahs then there are bigger problems to worry about

I was making a more general comment on a prevailing mindset on here. When Henshaw got injured last year there were people saying a medical joker was an absolute must. It was the same when there was an injury to an outhalf. Carbery against Fiji, was it? Some were saying running out and getting short-term cover was the way to go.

Losing a lot of players around international windows is Leinster's lot. The dramatics from some every time it happens are tiresome. If losing Tomane and having to pick Keenan is the difference between Leinster winning or losing at home to the Ospreys, the Kings and the Cheetahs then there are bigger problems to worry about

well when henshaw was injured, Leinster relied on Nacewa.

can't do that this year, but hopefully Robbie will be back for europe.

People aren't worried about losing Tomane. He's average enough and wouldn't make a fully-fit Leinster 23. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

People are worried about the fact that Tomane is the 25th senior player who will be absent against the Ospreys. Some of the guys who will come in are up to the standard, others are not. That's the concern.

I'd rather win with good players than lose with rubbish ones. That's my prevailing mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

All his senior appearances have not been at 10.

At the same age Byrne was a much bigger prospect at outhalf.

Frawley can't beat out Noel Reid FFS.

Can always rely on Mildly to create a new account and nitpick :rolleyes:

I said Frawley doesn't seem to have the same promising traits at 10.

But in the 4 (or less...) appearances, he has absolutely shown the same that Byrne has.

I don't give a rats about prospect or reputation in the context of this discussion. Byrne after 4 senior appearances showed a work in progress with some good nuts and bolts. Similar to a certain Skerries fella whose played a bit of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

People aren't worried about losing Tomane. He's average enough and wouldn't make a fully-fit Leinster 23. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

People are worried about the fact that Tomane is the 25th senior player who will be absent against the Ospreys. Some of the guys who will come in are up to the standard, others are not. That's the concern.

I'd rather win with good players than lose with rubbish ones. That's my prevailing mindset.

Spose, but I don't see the point in going on about it. What are they going to do, bring in short-term signings every season during the international windows?

Leinster might have to take a backwards step in isolated instances, but it works out well in the long run. The good players who are missed when they're away got their break when internationals were away a few years ago.

Any solution involving short-term signing is impractical in my view, unless you're maybe missing your top three guy in one position for an extended period or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ospreys are not very deep as evidenced by the beating that Munster gave them.
    Keenan could do the job on the wing imo. I would like to see how he goes anyway.
    I think Dowling got a run for the A's, so we might get a look at him also.
    For the most part, the young lads performed really good in the Celtic cup. I wouldn't worry to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Ospreys are not very deep as evidenced by the beating that Munster gave them.
    Keenan could do the job on the wing imo. I would like to see how he goes anyway.
    I think Dowling got a run for the A's, so we might get a look at him also.
    For the most part, the young lads performed really good in the Celtic cup. I wouldn't worry to much.

Keenan leaving 7s rumour

The irony of the dramatics about supposed dramatics.....I may not recall correctly, but I'm not sure that the same people talking about the depth chart today are the same people who were calling for short term signings last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »
    The irony of the dramatics about supposed dramatics.....I may not recall correctly, but I'm not sure that the same people talking about the depth chart today are the same people who were calling for short term signings last season.

Butbutbutbut der foriners r takin der jerbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hmmm my bit of scouting in the general rugby thread the other day may come in handy sooner than I thought - any chance of a medical joker? Dr Phil could certainly put in a good word

Been wondering where he went. Looked animal when he was breaking thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Friend of mine got a knock-off version of the current Leinster jersey. Says the quality is really good, but you can tell it's fake because the four stars aren't misaligned. Fair play to the Chinese, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Friend of mine got a knock-off version of the current Leinster jersey. Says the quality is really good, but you can tell it's fake because the four stars aren't misaligned. Fair play to the Chinese, a great bunch of lads.

Yep I was looking over in the online jersey thread and the stars were perfect, although they’ll probably fall off after the first wash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Seriously....seen the same stuff on Munster thread

Absolute joke people "supporting" a club with knock off sh*t.....

Plenty of offers around to get jersey cheaper than the latest and greatest....

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »
    Yep I was looking over in the online jersey thread and the stars were perfect, although they’ll probably fall off after the first wash!

The stars and crest on this one are stitched on! Looks great.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I actually agree, the only reason I’d go knock-off is because this looks better. I could buy both and only wear the fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Shefwedfan wrote: »

OT maybe, but do the club directly benefit from jersey sales or do they just get a lump sum from Adidas when they sign the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    OT maybe, but do the club directly benefit from jersey sales or do they just get a lump sum from Adidas when they sign the deal.

Both generally. Manufacturer pays them a sponsorship deal with a yearly lump sum to go with them, and then they get a split of the profits from each sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »

They get a lump sum but in fairness that amount will be based on how many jerseys are likely sold from the manufacturer so knock offs in high volume may affect the next contract.
    Personally I couldn’t give a toss what people buy, I’ve stopped buying gear apart from maybe a beanie hat occasionally as it’s got too expensive for what generally seems like poorer gear and only available from one shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

how.gareth wrote: »

Where might someone find this thread? I may be blind, I don’t see a thread for jerseys in the Rugby forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster now say Tomane will be out for 5 months. Awful for him and a blow for Leinster.

Five months, from such an innocuous incident. Better news for ROL anyway, won't be out long-term.

Best team for the Ospreys??

Dooley Tracy Bent
    Kearney Molony
    Murphy Deegan Doris
    JGP Reid
    Lowe Daly COB Byrne
    Kearney

Byrne, Byrne, Vakh, Dowling, Penny, McCarthy, Frawley, Keenan

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster now say Tomane will be out for 5 months. Awful for him and a blow for Leinster.

That's pretty much the rest of the season, it really didn't look that bad.
    ROL is expected back sooner, as it's not as bad first feared.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »

That's terrible news for him especially. It's basically his season over if he's not due back until April sometime. He might get 2 or 3 more games at best. He really needed the game time to grow into the side a bit more.

Ferg should be back sometime in February or early March. Thankfully we are only away to Zebre and then home to both Kings and Cheetahs in the 6Ns window so we should be able to manage those. We should also have a few bodies back for Dragons away. So really the Ospreys game tomorrow week is the only real concern I'd have at this stage. We're away to Edinburgh the week after the 6Ns so might be a bit short there too, but I wouldn't be overly bothered with a loss away to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement