Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cathal Marsh made an appearance on the latest episode of Baz and Andrew's house of rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Cathal Marsh made an appearance on the latest episode of Baz and Andrew's house of rugby

How is he getting on? I probably won't listen to the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

troyzer wrote: »

Seemed quite happy with how things are going, he’s heading over to the USA this week to link up with the squad. Spoke a bit about Sexton’s mentoring, and his friendship with Luke McGrath. Was very positive about the change in scenery, he didn’t rule out playing for the US further down the line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Seemed quite happy with how things are going, he’s heading over to the USA this week to link up with the squad. Spoke a bit about Sexton’s mentoring, and his friendship with Luke McGrath. Was very positive about the change in scenery, he didn’t rule out playing for the US further down the line.

He'd be 31 before he is eligible so doesn't seem that likely.

He said he would have liked to stay in Ireland, but he had no real contact from any of the provinces this time round but did mention that coming out of the academy he had an offer from Connacht, and that before his last contract he had been in talks with Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Podge_irl wrote: »

Dunno, what they need are players that grew up with rugby. I think the vast majority would have taken it up in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Probably not.

But not a bad goal to have anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Might be of interest to some, wouldn't think James Lowe needed much encouragement to get involved

https://ie.movember.com/team/2325012

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Something weird is happening with posts. Some (possibly phantom) 'pages' not loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    Something weird is happening with posts. Some (possibly phantom) 'pages' not loading.

Database errors occurring since last week, obviously the datacentre upgrade last night has exacerbated the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah he said it was unlikely with the new residency rules but he didn’t shut it down. Thought it was a fairly pointless question from the lads myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It was a good interview. I think I remember the guys from NY doing one of the podcast last year and mentioned about bringing over Irish players

Seems to be a few Irish over and involved in training etc

I would guess longer term he would probably try and stay over and get into coaching, he kind of indicated and then pulled back :-) Probably realized he would dig a huge hole for himself if he said he was going over to help the new management team....

great to see him getting a chance. Hope it works out for him

I actually did listen to the interview in the end, he's a good lad.

Do you think it's true that it was his decision to leave in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Quite interesting that they are starting a pro league over there. I think you will find America being the new Connacht to Leinster players that don't make the grade. Does anyone think there might be merit in following suit with either 1/2 extra pro teams in Ireland or looking at working with Eir sports and the IRFU to get the AIL up to semi pro standards with better investment in Stadia TV etc.?

Heymans wrote: »
    Quite interesting that they are starting a pro league over there. I think you will find America being the new Connacht to Leinster players that don't make the grade. Does anyone think there might be merit in following suit with either 1/2 extra pro teams in Ireland or looking at working with Eir sports and the IRFU to get the AIL up to semi pro standards with better investment in Stadia TV etc.?

Nobody goes to AIL matches as it is, Eir are hardly going to put it on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If you genuinely see yourself as not being in the running as a 19 year old, America would also hold out a chance of International honours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I actually did listen to the interview in the end, he's a good lad.

Do you think it's true that it was his decision to leave in the end?

I'd say there was a contract there for Marsh.

Marsh would have been on pennies really and is Pro14 standard. Always useful to have a 10 like that. If he was happy to play AIL/ A rugby with the odd senior appearance I think Leinster would have given him another year.

Keep in mind even if we still did have Joey, himself and Johnny would be missing for huge parts with Ross gone here and there too. Nice piece of mind that we'd have a competent 10 whose not costing us too much waiting in the wings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd say there was a contract there for Marsh.

Marsh would have been on pennies really and is Pro14 standard. Always useful to have a 10 like that. If he was happy to play AIL/ A rugby with the odd senior appearance I think Leinster would have given him another year.

Keep in mind even if we still did have Joey, himself and Johnny would be missing for huge parts with Ross gone here and there too. Nice piece of mind that we'd have a competent 10 whose not costing us too much waiting in the wings

Pretty sure I saw an interview with him not so long ago when he said that Leo had sat him down and told him that there wasn't a contract for him for this season. That was around Christmas time IIRC and so would have been prior to the Carbery move.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong on that one. This is the article I was thinking of, and it's phrased in a way that looks like it was Marsh's decision.

https://www.the42.ie/cathal-marsh-new-york-leinster-4269246-Oct2018/
    “I had come to terms with leaving probably before Christmas time,” he says. “It wasn’t that tough a conversation to have with Leo [Cullen] really. He sort of asked me after Christmas where my head was at and, at that stage, Ross, Joey and Johnny were well established and I couldn’t really see things changing

Nobody goes to AIL matches as it is, Eir are hardly going to put it on the box.

Haven't you seen field of dreams? Build it and they will come - I believe some investment in stadia and contracts to put it on TV would allow those players to be paid some money for playing and actually be semi acceptable at what they do. If France/England/New Zealand (Mitre 10) can do it why can't we?

Haven't you seen field of dreams? Build it and they will come - I believe some investment in stadia and contracts to put it on TV would allow those players to be paid some money for playing and actually be semi acceptable at what they do. If France/England can do it why can't we?

Playing numbers and financial backing are the two main points to start with.

When a club goes semi-pro, it's not just the players who have to get paid. It's the coaching staff, the groundsmen, the people who previously volunteered in the club. It requires significant financial backing, and then you have to have the recurring income to sustain these costs.

It's not a case of just giving the players some money for playing.

• Advertisement

Playing numbers and financial backing are the two main points to start with.

When a club goes semi-pro, it's not just the players who have to get paid. It's the coaching staff, the groundsmen, the people who previously volunteered in the club. It requires significant financial backing, and then you have to have the recurring income to sustain these costs.

It's not a case of just giving the players some money for playing.

So there's not enough TV money by and large. If our populus was bigger would there be potential for better TV contracts or is it only interest and playing numbers that dictate the willingness to fork out for televising a season? I know we are a pauper of a nation but the sport has to be more popular now than at any other time. Investment in the deepening of player quality by making a League semi pro would be the way to go. I know money doesn't grow on trees but the IRFU have to be making a heafty profit at the moment. Courses and camps for young players isn't the only way to invest - having an attractive League to play in will give those young players incentives to play beyond U18's into adulthood. I sometimes wonder if the IRFU are getting it right with their initiatives and wonder about getting those in higher levels out of there to allow some young blood in and shake it up a little.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If France/England/New Zealand (Mitre 10) can do it why can't we?

Population/Population/its NZ

I'm heading to an AIL game on Saturday before the USA game, I'll be shocked if there's more than 20 people watching.

You can't offer that to Eir and expect a sizable offer, enough to make a semi pro league viable.

At best, Eir MIGHT be willing to show the big games or highlights for free for a year or two to gauge interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Soccer is infinitely more popular than rugby in Ireland, both as a spectator and participant sport, and the League of Ireland has been dying a slow and painful death for 30 years. A professional AIL would be a disaster because no-one wants it.

We need to be glad we have a thriving model for pro rugby with the four provinces. We don't have the player base or public interest to support anything else and any money diverted to such a scheme would be quickly written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm heading to an AIL game on Saturday before the USA game, I'll be shocked if there's more than 20 people watching.

You can't offer that to Eir and expect a sizable offer, enough to make a semi pro league viable.

At best, Eir MIGHT be willing to show the big games or highlights for free for a year or two to gauge interest.
    I'm assuming you're exaggerating for effect. There'd be a lot more than that at most AIL games. Certainly the last few I watched had upwards of 100 spectators there. And I know that's not much, but it's a lot better than 20.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're exaggerating for effect. There'd be a lot more than that at most AIL games. Certainly the last few I watched had upwards of 100 spectators there. And I know that's not much, but it's a lot better than 20.

I'm exaggerating a bit of course. But I think we're due rain on Saturday so it might not be too far off.

Soccer is infinitely more popular than rugby in Ireland, both as a spectator and participant sport, and the League of Ireland has been dying a slow and painful death for 30 years. A professional AIL would be a disaster because no-one wants it.

We need to be glad we have a thriving model for pro rugby with the four provinces. We don't have the player base or public interest to support anything else and any money diverted to such a scheme would be quickly written off.

Stagnancy - you see sitting on our laurels and being happy with what we have isn't going to keep us competitive. 4 teams is too little a playing pool to select out of to compete with the biggest/best. I know some people will say by expanding you can form a bubble but i geniunely believe there to be room for expansion on what we already have. The problem with it is that the 4 provinces are geagraphically and historically finite and people will say there is no room for expansion on that basis being traditionalists. Of course we could form another Pro team or try and bring the standard in AIL up by some investment. The problem is people will see that as dead money and write it off before its even tried.

Stagnancy - you see sitting on our laurels and being happy with what we have isn't going to keep us competitive. 4 teams is too little a playing pool to select out of to compete with the biggest/best. I know some people will say by expanding you can form a bubble but i geniunely believe there to be room for expansion on what we already have. The problem with it is that the 4 provinces are geagraphically and historically finite and people will say there is no room for expansion on that basis being traditionalists. Of course we could form another Pro team or try and bring the standard in AIL up by some investment. The problem is people will see that as dead money and write it off before its even tried.

Because it is. You can't artificially grow interest by throwing money at it. Most of the AIL teams already have brilliant facilities, step inside the Lansdowne/Wanderers or Wesley club house and you'll see that. Even the smaller Dublin clubs like Clondalkin have good facilities.

If interest in rugby leads to an increase in AIL following, then the IRFU can start looking more closely at it. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to offer it to Eir for free and see if they're willing to slip a highlights package into their Pro14 coverage.

I'd say 80% of people in Ireland outside of people who play/played with a club don't know that the AIL even exists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This line of thought seems to be based on the idea that a pro/semi-pro AIL is a new idea. It's not; it was tried, it failed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement