Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

This line of thought seems to be based on the idea that a pro/semi-pro AIL is a new idea. It's not; it was tried, it failed.

When was it tried. If NZ can manage a Mitre 10 then surely we can manufacture something similar. We need more depth in player pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »
    When was it tried. If NZ can manage a Mitre 10 then surely we can manufacture something similar. We need more depth in player pool.

It works in New Zealand because rugby is the number one sport. The Mitre 10 cup is like our All Ireland football championship.

You can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Stainalert

This line of thought seems to be based on the idea that a pro/semi-pro AIL is a new idea. It's not; it was tried, it failed.

There has never officially been a semi-pro AIL. The AIL originally was a very successful breeding ground for future professional players & Internationals some of whom are still playing for Ireland today.

Unfortunately the AIL has been largely ignored by the IRFU with minimal publicity until very recently where the IRFU have sought to reinvigorate the competition and have it more closely aligned with the professional teams. Whilst original IRFU proposals were flawed and rejected (rightly by clubs) there is lots of behind the scenes the talk going on in relation to the AIL and how it can change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Haven't you seen field of dreams? Build it and they will come - I believe some investment in stadia and contracts to put it on TV would allow those players to be paid some money for playing and actually be semi acceptable at what they do. If France/England/New Zealand (Mitre 10) can do it why can't we?

100% agree with you and with the AIL clubs a lot of the basic building blocks are already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What sort of team can we cobble together for Friday

Dooley Tracy bent Molony Kearney Fardy Murphy Deegan

JGP Reid DK COB ROL Byrne Larmour

Bench will be first 8 STH to arrive

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Would they not bring Lowe back into the mix? He's been off for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The dream is still very much alive! :D

troyzer wrote: »
    Would they not bring Lowe back into the mix? He's been off for a month.

Lowe is doing the OLSC Q&A 30 min after game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Lowe is doing the OLSC Q&A 30 min after game.

I saw that. But it's plenty of time to get showered etc.

I still think he will play.

Sure the internationals have all sorts of Q&As in the corporate boxes after games in the Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stainalert wrote: »
    There has never officially been a semi-pro AIL. The AIL originally was a very successful breeding ground for future professional players & Internationals some of whom are still playing for Ireland today.

Unfortunately the AIL has been largely ignored by the IRFU with minimal publicity until very recently where the IRFU have sought to reinvigorate the competition and have it more closely aligned with the professional teams. Whilst original IRFU proposals were flawed and rejected (rightly by clubs) there is lots of behind the scenes the talk going on in relation to the AIL and how it can change for the better.

There was very much a semi-pro AIL in the 1990’s and a lot of clubs have never recovered fully financially from it. The damage is still being felt by most clubs. I would personally feel that experiment had a direct impact on the demise of junior rugby in this country. Instead of drawing people towards the game it disenfranchised members of the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Byrne Twins, Frawley, T Daly, Keleher if Tracy is with Ireland this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quite interesting that they are starting a pro league over there. I think you will find America being the new Connacht to Leinster players that don't make the grade. Does anyone think there might be merit in following suit with either 1/2 extra pro teams in Ireland or looking at working with Eir sports and the IRFU to get the AIL up to semi pro standards with better investment in Stadia TV etc.?
    It will be for plenty in all provinces who cant make the grade here.
    There isnt room for more pro teams in Ireland and nothing for them to play in. Investment in stadiums for AIL clubs would be a waste as you would be better spending money on player retention and then improving coaching/playing standards.
    Nobody goes to AIL matches as it is, Eir are hardly going to put it on the box.
    Attendance at games doesnt mean tv coverage shouldnt exist.
    So there's not enough TV money by and large. If our populus was bigger would there be potential for better TV contracts or is it only interest and playing numbers that dictate the willingness to fork out for televising a season? I know we are a pauper of a nation but the sport has to be more popular now than at any other time. Investment in the deepening of player quality by making a League semi pro would be the way to go. I know money doesn't grow on trees but the IRFU have to be making a heafty profit at the moment. Courses and camps for young players isn't the only way to invest - having an attractive League to play in will give those young players incentives to play beyond U18's into adulthood. I sometimes wonder if the IRFU are getting it right with their initiatives and wonder about getting those in higher levels out of there to allow some young blood in and shake it up a little.
    The league is attractive enough for plenty to keep them playing but problem for many is bridging gap to adult rugby from youths/schools. 20s can be great for small number of clubs but otherwise is poor. Links for many from school isnt great and its very hard to retain players after 18/19 years of age in clubs if they have been in a rugby school and have no connection to a club.
    I'm heading to an AIL game on Saturday before the USA game, I'll be shocked if there's more than 20 people watching.

You can't offer that to Eir and expect a sizable offer, enough to make a semi pro league viable.

At best, Eir MIGHT be willing to show the big games or highlights for free for a year or two to gauge interest.
    Ive been to hundreds of AIL games and never seen that few.
    The top divisions get significant enough crowds and tv coverage would/should help increase that. A regular highlights package would be better at first.
    Because it is. You can't artificially grow interest by throwing money at it. Most of the AIL teams already have brilliant facilities, step inside the Lansdowne/Wanderers or Wesley club house and you'll see that. Even the smaller Dublin clubs like Clondalkin have good facilities.

If interest in rugby leads to an increase in AIL following, then the IRFU can start looking more closely at it. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to offer it to Eir for free and see if they're willing to slip a highlights package into their Pro14 coverage.
    I wouldnt say most AIL teams have brilliant facilities. But what do you deem as brilliant. Lansdowne/Wanderers/Wesley all have grounds on provincial/national stadiums/former stadiums. Slight bit different to most clubs.
    We dont really have similar and funding it would be a waste when money better spent on keeping more people playing than paying the few already playing and may be getting money to play already
    Stainalert wrote: »

League was breeding ground for future pros and still is but with provinces playing more and having academies its role has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd say they'll try to fit Lowe in so he gets to play in front of his parents, who are over visiting him

so...

9. O'Sullivan, 21. McCarthy (no JGP)

or

4. Molony, 5. Kearney; 19. Dowling/Dunne (no Fardy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Is Doris injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I would guess something along the lines of

1. Dooley
    2. Tracy
    3. Bent
    4. Molony
    5. Kearney
    6. Doris
    7. Murphy
    8. Deegan
    9. JGP
    10. Reid
    11. Lowe
    12. O’Brien
    13. Daly
    14. A Byrne
    15. D Kearney

16. B Byrne
    17. E Byrne
    18. Abdaladze
    19. Dowling
    20. Penny
    21. O’Sullivan
    22. H Byrne
    23. Frawley

If Fardy plays then Lowe might drop out with maybe Larmour coming in at FB and Kearney moving to the wing. I think JGP needs to play this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Can people stop suggesting Murphy or Doris be selected at openside please. I find it offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ZadeMeen123

Scott Penny to start on Friday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Angellover45

Interesting to see Liam Turner, David Hawkshaw and Michael Milne training with the senior squad this week, wondering if they will get a run this weekend, seem to be exciting prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Interesting to see Liam Turner, David Hawkshaw and Michael Milne training with the senior squad this week, wondering if they will get a run this weekend, seem to be exciting prospects

Heard Turner was recovering from a shoulder injury. I don't think he will feature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 LostArt03

they won't get a run this weekend bar playing AIL.

given how many players are missing, they've brought in the extended academy to train with whoever is around this week.

Scott Penny will get a run though.

Can people stop suggesting Murphy or Doris be selected at openside please. I find it offensive.

Not exactly swimming with options there though

I'd personally like to see Scott Penny there but we currently have 3 injured 7s and 1 on Ireland duty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Doris for openside, would be good to see how he converts.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Of the three most excited to see Milne. Is he playing loosehead still?

Of the three most excited to see Milne. Is he playing loosehead still?

no, has been playing tighthead since the end of celtic cup and has struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Penny thrown in at the deep end. Big test for Keenan and Frawley too.

15. Hugo Keenan (2)
    14. Adam Byrne (41)
    13. Conor O’Brien (5)
    12. Noel Reid (105)
    11. James Lowe (19)
    10. Ciarán Frawley (4)
    9. Nick McCarthy (31)
    1. Peter Dooley (52)
    2. James Tracy (75)
    3. Michael Bent (110)
    4. Ross Molony (69)
    5. Scott Fardy (29) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (12)
    7. Scott Penny (0)
    8. Caelan Doris (4)

16. Bryan Byrne (30)
    17. Ed Byrne (28)
    18. Vakh Abdaladze (3)
    19. Mick Kearney (40)
    20. Max Deegan (27)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (3)
    22. Jimmy O’Brien (0)
    23. Jack Kelly (0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'd just like to distance myself from this LostArt03 imposter

Pack should be able to steer us home. Should be hoping for a decent set piece and tight game.

Ospreys could rip that backline to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Deegan can't be happy with that, his form has been patchy to say the least though

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Deegan can't be happy with that, his form has been patchy to say the least though

can't complain based on his most recent performance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement