Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

Could well see Fardy dropping back to the backrow again now for Europe.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Could well see Fardy dropping back to the backrow again now for Europe.

Depends how the injury to Leavy is. Could well see him play 6 and move Ruddock back to 8 because I don’t think Deegan has done enough and Doris is still quite raw.

Really, really missing Nordi right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Faugheen wrote: »
    Depends how the injury to Leavy is. Could well see him play 6 and move Ruddock back to 8 because I don’t think Deegan has done enough and Doris is still quite raw.

Really, really missing Nordi right now.

As much as I love Ruddock I don't think he's an 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Heymans wrote: »
    I was red carded for a week once for saying Jennings was a better player than SeO’Brien. I believe it was either you or Zzippy who did so. Can we not keep up those standards and red card Venjur for saying McFadden and Kearney are better than Byrne and then calling him soft?

Back talk to a mod is treated the same as back talk to a ref, there are sanctions.

Discuss it on pm, not on thread.

Count yourself lucky I'm late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

So now that it's all but been confirmed that Joe is moving on, it also seems inevitable that Lancaster will be moving up.

Where does that leave Leinster? Any obvious replacements?

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Any obvious replacements?

Rugby-All-Blacks-New-Zealand-Rugby-New-Zealand-Rugby-Squad-New-Zealand-Rugby-World-Cup-All-Blacks-Squad-Steve-Hansen-585964.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

So now that it's all but been confirmed that Joe is moving on, it also seems inevitable that Lancaster will be moving up.

Where does that leave Leinster? Any obvious replacements?

It's time that Conor O'Shea came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Squatter wrote: »

Conor O'Shea is a manager, a facilitator of coaches, not a great coach himself. We need head coach to replace Lancaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ROG to come back and coach Ross Byrne, eventually leading to a battle between him and Carbery that ends up with Byrne standing over Carbery screaming in Croke Park

Nah. We know who the replacement is - this is why Contemponi was brought in.

I reckon this has been known a good while, since before Contemponi was announced.

• Advertisement

Any obvious replacements?

Rugby-All-Blacks-New-Zealand-Rugby-New-Zealand-Rugby-Squad-New-Zealand-Rugby-World-Cup-All-Blacks-Squad-Steve-Hansen-585964.jpg

After a successful stint in Leinster including a few European trophies he would then take the Ireland job, beat Schmidt's All Blacks in Chicago and follow it up with a farewell world cup victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ROG to come back and coach Ross Byrne, eventually leading to a battle between him and Carbery that ends up with Byrne standing over Carbery screaming in Croke Park
    And it's little slips like that, that tell you Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped again.

Between all the coach discussions and the schools bias accusations, the rugby forum has more conspiracy theories than the actual conspiracy theory forum these days.

Nah. We know who the replacement is - this is why Contemponi was brought in.

I reckon this has been known a good while, since before Contemponi was announced.

I don't think so. Dr. Phil's family are still in Argentina. He's doing a ROG and probably has every intention of absorbing as much as he can in Leinster before heading home for the top job at Jaguares and eventually Argentina.

Between all the coach discussions and the schools bias accusations, the rugby forum has more conspiracy theories than the actual conspiracy theory forum these days.

That's exactly what someone who was trying to misdirect conspiracy-theorists would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I don't think so. Dr. Phil's family are still in Argentina. He's doing a ROG and probably has every intention of absorbing as much as he can in Leinster before heading home for the top job at Jaguares and eventually Argentina.

Speaking of Argentina ......

https://twitter.com/MHChehade/status/1066447824148144130?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Only coach I'll accept is Tony Brown.

Put him in and we're back to the 05-06 halcyon days. Running rugby, fantastic mullets and no defence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Leo's not going anywhere. The IRFU will follow in the mould of the FaI and reappoint a dual headed ticket of Eddie and Deccie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think the obvious solution if Conan is out of Europe would be to just select Deegan at 8.

6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Deegan; 20. van der Flier is what I'd go for

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

I think the obvious solution if Conan is out of Europe would be to just select Deegan at 8.

6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Deegan; 20. van der Flier is what I'd go for

Funnily enough I’d have another massively inexperienced player in ahead of Deegan in Dorris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm fully aware that I may get properly smacked down for this....

But Ciaran Frawley is currently 50:1 to make Ireland's world cup squad. Now I don't think he's going to be in the top 3 out-halves by September. But I think he has a good chance of being 4th... Then he only needs one injury ahead of him?

errlloyd wrote: »

But Ciaran Frawley is currently 50:1 to make Ireland's world cup squad. Now I don't think he's going to be in the top 3 out-halves by September. But I think he has a good chance of being 4th... Then he only needs one injury ahead of him?

I seriously doubt it. You've Billy Burns up in Ulster getting regular game time at 10, Jack Carty in Connacht and even then Keatley and Hanrahan.

I'd be amazed and shocked if Frawley gets brought as part of the squad considering he has 5 appearances for the senior team, and his minutes will be limited to 6 nations period appearances. He'll still be 3rd choice behind Sexton and Byrne at Leinster.

No way. They'll break the rules and take Ian Madigan before they'll take a ten with limited first team experience, nevermind European or international experience.

And that's ignoring the stable of washouts in Munster or Billy Burns who at least plays top club rugby.

I seriously doubt it. You've Billy Burns up in Ulster getting regular game time at 10, Jack Carty in Connacht and even then Keatley and Hanrahan.

I'd be amazed and shocked if Frawley gets brought as part of the squad considering he has 5 appearances for the senior team, and his minutes will be limited to 6 nations period appearances. He'll still be 3rd choice behind Sexton and Byrne at Leinster.

I'll admit I forgot Burns. But I don't think it'll be Carty, JJ or Keatley. At this stage in 2010 Conor Murray had played 63 minutes of rugby for Munster and didn't start his first game till March. Ireland had Reddan, Boss, O'Leary, Stringer and a handful of others.

Bill Johnston is also at 50:1 - I guess I'll put a fiver on each of them.

Frawley played really well yesterday. Against a team that utterly capitulated.

I'd be holding tight on any RWC talk until he has another few starts and get's through an arm wrestle or two. Until then - pro experience is going to be the driving factor. Keatley would go before Frawley would if the RWC were to start in the next few months.

Frawley played really well yesterday. Against a team that utterly capitulated.

I'd be holding tight on any RWC talk until he has another few starts and get's through an arm wrestle or two. Until then - pro experience is going to be the driving factor. Keatley would go before Frawley would if the RWC were to start in the next few months.

Like this one?

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/report/report-leinster-20-scarlets-13/

EDIT: Damn, he came on at 12 that day. I was tricked by the fact he took over the goal kicking.

Still, I generally agree with you all on here. I just think there is a good chance, he will get some chance, between now and the summer. He's an injury away from Europe right now.

I'll admit I forgot Burns. But I don't think it'll be Carty, JJ or Keatley. At this stage in 2010 Conor Murray had played 63 minutes of rugby for Munster and didn't start his first game till March. Ireland had Reddan, Boss, O'Leary, Stringer and a handful of others.

Bill Johnston is also at 50:1 - I guess I'll put a fiver on each of them.

Yeah but Murray was always flogged as the next big thing.

Noel Reid started at 10 in front of Frawley a couple times this season, for the A team and the seniors. From what I've heard and seen from his A team appearances, he's seen more as a 12/15 than a 10.

Yeah but Murray was always flogged as the next big thing.

Noel Reid started at 10 in front of Frawley a couple times this season, for the A team and the seniors. From what I've heard and seen from his A team appearances, he's seen more as a 12/15 than a 10.

Frawley was injured for most of the Celtic Cup season. When he came back I think he was 10 from 3 of the remaining 4 games including the final. Reid started at 10 ahead of him in the Kings match, but that was a bit of a **** show.

I don't think he's played 12 or 15 this season.

Here lads, I am not saying it's likely. Just don't think it's 50/1 unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Conan's out long term the best backrow we could put out is:

6. Leavy
    7. VdF
    8. Ruddock

We could maybe put Fardy at the blindside, Ruddock at 8 and choose one of VdF or Leavy to play openside. But I think the former lineup is stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clegg wrote: »
    If Conan's out long term the best backrow we could put out is:

6. Leavy
    7. VdF
    8. Ruddock

We could maybe put Fardy at the blindside, Ruddock at 8 and choose one of VdF or Leavy to play openside. But I think the former lineup is stronger.

That's my line up.

Someone said earlier Ruddock isn't an 8. Absolutely agree with that but I think against Bath you have to play Ruddock at 8 ahead of a Deegan who hasn't broken out like most (including me) thought he would, or a Doris who while very talented, is still very, very raw and hasn't played a game anywhere near the level of European rugby. Ruddock had proven time and time again that he could slot in anywhere in the back row at Pro14, European and International level and has delivered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement