Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

errlloyd wrote: »

Here lads, I am not saying it's likely. Just don't think it's 50/1 unlikely.

He's a 21 year old with two professional starts to his name. He's unlikely to get more than another 2 this season. He's third choice at his province (at best) and there are a number of options at other provinces that have plenty of experience, some at test level. Keatley, JJH, Burns, Carty, Bleyendaal and McPhillips are all likely to get more opportunity than him for the rest of the season.

The RWC extended squad is named in about 8 months. I would say 50/1 is actually very scabby. I'd have him at twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Joe said Conan was pretty 'comfortable' after the match. He's getting a scan, but it was described as a 'jolt' to the shoulder. Could mean anything really, but hopefully it's not too bad and he's back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If Conan is out, Ruddock for the Rec and Deegan / Doris for the Aviva.

If Conan is out, Ruddock for the Rec and Deegan / Doris for the Aviva.
    Was thinking that. Mercer is a very good player. Reminds me of Heaslip when he first broke through. We'll need a strong back row who can keep him in check.

I think Bath are going to be a tougher nut to crack than many give them credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Buer wrote: »
    Was thinking that. Mercer is a very good player. Reminds me of Heaslip when he first broke through. We'll need a strong back row who can keep him in check.

I think Bath are going to be a tougher nut to crack than many give them credit for.

Yes and Elliott Stooke is a mountain of a man in the second row for Bath. We will have to look at neutralising him and his carrying to stop their go forward. They are going to be tough to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Congrats to Johnny for Rugby Player of The Year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

So where do we think this leaves Lancaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    So where do we think this leaves Lancaster?

I'm not sure. Initially I thought it'd be announced as a 1-2 combo of Farrell and Lancaster. There's a chance he could still be asked to become part of the setup, but there's also a good chance they'll be happy with just Farrell.

Lancaster's role at Leinster seems to be the exact same as Farrell's with Ireland. He's the 'senior coach' who looks after defence and then Contepomi is our backs coach. Similar to if Farrell is still the defence coach and Easterby remains as the backs coach.

I'd be a little worried about John Fogarty too. Greg Feek's contract only runs to the RWC and he is double jobbing already....it's almost inevitable that he'll be gone after the RWC and the IRFU will be looking for another scrum coach.

With the length of time between now and Schmidt's departure, I'd say we could be looking at something like Lancaster double jobbing next season post-RWC for the 6N and then shifting over to the Irish set up fully from summer 2020. It would give us plenty of time to identify a successor at least with Contepomi probably taking on a more senior role in things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd be a little worried about John Fogarty too. Greg Feek's contract only runs to the RWC and he is double jobbing already....it's almost inevitable that he'll be gone after the RWC and the IRFU will be looking for another scrum coach.

Getting a photo with John Fogarty after every away game in France has become a tradition that he seems aware of. After the Toulouse game he asked us "how many is this now". It's basically the only post game trophy I ever hunt for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm not sure. Initially I thought it'd be announced as a 1-2 combo of Farrell and Lancaster. There's a chance he could still be asked to become part of the setup, but there's also a good chance they'll be happy with just Farrell.

Lancaster's role at Leinster seems to be the exact same as Farrell's with Ireland. He's the 'senior coach' who looks after defence and then Contepomi is our backs coach. Similar to if Farrell is still the defence coach and Easterby remains as the backs coach.
    You're having a good day with the pack. :D :pac:

Easterby is the forwards coach.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You're having a good day with the pack. :D :pac:

Easterby is the forwards coach.

Do you reckon we need an intervention?

@Squidgy. You okay hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Do you reckon we need an intervention?

@Squidgy. You okay hun?

Ah lads get me put down I'm having a mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/irish-rugby/mcorry/stuart-lancaster-reportedly-also-irish-coaching-ticket/

Hmmm, hopefully note the case. Would love to see Stuart stay at Leinster and someone else go in as number 2 at Ireland

PMC83 wrote: »
    http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/irish-rugby/mcorry/stuart-lancaster-reportedly-also-irish-coaching-ticket/

Hmmm, hopefully note the case. Would love to see Stuart stay at Leinster and someone else go in as number 2 at Ireland

Given Philip Browne name checked Lancaster in the event the unthinkable happened, I'd say it's quite likely.

Pundit arena are basing that article on Thornley's piece which doesn't offer any source for the insight - but I think Browne's utterance was probably intentional enough as opposed to being uncharacteristically off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Given Philip Browne name checked Lancaster in the event the unthinkable happened, I'd say it's quite likely.

Pundit arena are basing that article on Thornley's piece which doesn't offer any source for the insight - but I think Browne's utterance was probably intentional enough as opposed to being uncharacteristically off the cuff.

Lancaster has said hes happier to be back coaching hands on and out of the limelight, I wonder has this changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Lancaster has said hes happier to be back coaching hands on and out of the limelight, I wonder has this changed?

He could be out of the limelight if he was attack coach under Farrell

I think it would be better if they went for someone like a Tony Brown for backs/attack, though. Lancaster is of a lot of value to Irish rugby right where he is

The top job in England was a different animal - especially building up to a home world cup. He's on record as saying his additional responsibilities got in the way of his coaching far too much.

There isn't as much of a circus here anyway, but I think his role will be less media oriented and much more hands on. Farrell will do the team announcements and post match interviews. I think removing those two aspects alone and Lancaster would be happy enough.

Taking a gig with Ireland will reduce his travel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Stu would be great with Ireland. Leinster are secondary to the national team. We could always bring in EOS lol.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Stu would be great with Ireland. Leinster are secondary to the national team. We could always bring in EOS lol.

ROG in blue.

The ultimate revenge for Carbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Slightly concerning news about Larmour but he should be alright. Conan's injury and Leavy's continued absence is of greater concern though. And welcome back Barry Daly.
    JORDAN LARMOUR HAS had a minor procedure to correct an issue with his knee, but Leinster say the fullback is due back in training next week ahead of the Champions Cup double-header against Bath.

Meanwhile, Jack Conan has also been ruled out of Leinster’s round 10 visit to Rodney Parade as he awaits further assessment on the AC joint injury he sustained against USA at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday.

There was positive news on Barry Daly as the winger has returned to on-field training as he continues his comeback from a knee injury, but Dan Leavy [neck strain] remains sidelined.

https://www.the42.ie/jordan-larmour-knee-procedure-4360114-Nov2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Indo is reporting that Leinster has begun negotiations with Cullen and co over a contract extension. They're also saying Bath want Lancaster to be their DoR.

Team for Dragons?

1. McGrath
    2. Cronin
    3. Porter
    4. Fardy
    5. Kearney
    6. Ruddock
    7. Penny
    8. Deegan
    9. McGrath
    10. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Frawley
    13. Conor O'Brien
    14. Byrne
    15. Keenan

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Bent
    19. Molony
    20. Doris
    21. O'Sullivan
    22. Reid
    23. Barry Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Team for Dragons?

12. Frawley

I'd quite like to see more of this alright.

durthacht wrote: »
    I'd quite like to see more of this alright.

Yeah. Like, see how he goes at 12 against the Dragons, and then make a call between him and Reid for Bath.

Doesn't look as if O'Loughlin is going to make it back in time

I suppose the other option as regards inside centre would be to back COB or Tom Daly. But they'd have to register them for Europe and de-register someone like Tomane or McFadden probably

I would be very surprised if we didn't go with a significantly stronger side than the team named above. This is our only game before having to go away to a decent Bath side in The Rec. The team hasn't played together for a month, they'll need a little cohesion.

I can see 7 or 8 of the first choice team starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I would be very surprised if we didn't go with a significantly stronger side than the team named above. This is our only game before having to go away to a decent Bath side in The Rec. The team hasn't played together for a month, they'll need a little cohesion.

Especially given a good chunk of them have had last week off

The team I suggested arguably has 7 first choice players in it, if we're only talking players who will be available against Bath

Adam Byrne is probably in line to start if Larmour is out. Ditto Deegan if Conan doesn't make it back. Frawley/Reid could be best available 12 for Bath as well.

Healy, Ringrose and van der Flier had heavy workloads for Ireland, and we'd be up the creek without a paddle if van der Flier got injured before Europe.

I suppose some of Furlong, Ryan and Toner could be involved. Maybe from the bench, but Sexton hardly ever plays away in the league

Is RK injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought they had to be released by the irfu player management/ welfare?
    I doubt Ringrose or Vdf will be available and with Larmour out, it's probably likely Barry Baly gets into the 23
    I don't see too much change from last weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement