Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Does penny leap frog connors in the pecking order at 7? Could one of the 7s be converted to a 6/7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Does penny leap frog connors in the pecking order at 7? Could one of the 7s be converted to a 6/7 ?

He did his ACL back in August so it's difficult to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Neither Penny or Connors are big enough to play 6. It’s impossible to say that Penny has gone ahead of Connors, till they are both fit at the same time and the three players ahead of them aren’t available. Had Connors been fit last Friday, I doubt very much that Penny would have played though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    Neither Penny or Connors are big enough to play 6. It’s impossible to say that Penny has gone ahead of Connors, till they are both fit at the same time and the three players ahead of them aren’t available. Had Connors been fit last Friday, I doubt very much that Penny would have played though.

6' 4" ... 102 kg will connors isnt big enough to play 6 ??

an inch taller than Peter O Mahony...
    4" taller than michael hooper and 1 kg heavier.....
    and at 22 he has ample time to add to his physique

i really dont think its his size that will hold him back from playing blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Connors must have been wearing his heels the day they took those measurements. He never looked 6'4" on the pitch at all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Connors must have been wearing his heels the day they took those measurements. He never looked 6'4" on the pitch at all.

Maybe he kept his scrum cap on.

Im going by ultimate rugby specs

1049978.jpg

Old image, but he looks to be the same height as Deegan, who's listed at 6'4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »
    6' 4" ... 102 kg will connors isnt big enough to play 6 ??

an inch taller than Peter O Mahony...
    4" taller than michael hooper and 1 kg heavier.....
    and at 22 he has ample time to add to his physique

i really dont think its his size that will hold him back from playing blindside.

I find those stats very hard to believe after seeing him in the flesh.

Though Leinster have him listed at that size too, so yes he is big enough to play 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Forgot about connors injury, still seems to be more hype around penny than there was with connors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Forgot about connors injury, still seems to be more hype around penny than there was with connors

I think much of that is recent, coming from his form in the Celtic Cup. He scored a rake of tries (8 in 7 games I think) and generally looked to be a step above that level. All I had heard about him prior to the Celtic Cup was that he was a stocky lad for his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Connors was awesome for the u20s. Looked like a good quick 7 with soft hands. I think he was also used as a line out jumper too?
    Anyway, hyping youngsters is great and all, but they don't always turn out to be very good . Dardis is the biggest example, thought he would have cast handsome Rob off into the abyss, a Las he went belly up.
    That being said, penny looks an exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Connors was awesome for the u20s. Looked like a good quick 7 with soft hands. I think he was also used as a line out jumper too?
    Anyway, hyping youngsters is great and all, but they don't always turn out to be very good . Dardis is the biggest example, thought he would have cast handsome Rob off into the abyss, a Las he went belly up.
    That being said, penny looks an exciting prospect.
    Yes we hype too many kids up based on schools/underage/under 20s but then we disregard some far too much as well. Dardis didnt meet the hype but will still do well through 7s and is captain of them as they attempt make world series/Olympics....
    which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's like the Tiny Toon Adventures

Yes we hype too many kids up based on schools/underage/under 20s but then we disregard some far too much as well. Dardis didnt meet the hype but will still do well through 7s and is captain of them as they attempt make world series/Olympics....
    which is very good.

Dardis is an outstanding 7s players. Definitely wouldn't consider him a 'flop' or anything like that, he just went a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dardis is an outstanding 7s players. Definitely wouldn't consider him a 'flop' or anything like that, he just went a different direction.

He absolutely didn’t meet the hype however. Tony Ward talking ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wouldnt call him a flop by any means. He went a different direction but didnt meet all the hype either. Some in media, Ward and few others way they went on about him playing schools f... cup you would have thought it was without question he would have got 50 caps for the national team

He absolutely didn’t meet the hype however. Tony Ward talking ****e

Ah yeah but can you imagine our starting 15 if we listened to Tony Ward?

Just don't think it's fair to say he "went belly up" when he's still playing rugby to a high standard, albeit 7s and not 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ah yeah but can you imagine our starting 15 if we listened to Tony Ward?

10. Tony Ward

Anybody read the article on Josh Murphy? The lad has a bright future. I think it's in the indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Anybody read the article on Josh Murphy? The lad has a bright future. I think it's in the indo.

He has a bright future in the Indo, you think.

• Advertisement

No. As a doctor. It was in the 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Very impressive bloke and extraordinary how he can combine being a full time top level athlete with being a medical student.

I feel sorry enough for myself having just one job.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nasty injury list for them to be coping with but it's starting to clear. Fortunately for Leinster, I see the double header as coming a fraction too soon for them.

I don't see how Joseph could be involved in the game in The Rec after 8 months out. He's in full training though so could well feature from the bench. Faletau has come back from injury superbly in the past but I would see him as featuring in Dublin at best where hopefully Leinster will have some of their own players back.

Freddie Burns also copped an injury for them and will probably miss this weekend but likely to be back for Leinster. If they had Burns and Priestland out, they'd be in real difficulty.

Hopefully, Leinster's own injury issues clear up rapidly. Looking decidedly short in the back row and midfield right now with ROL, Leavy, SOB, Conan, Tomane and Henshaw all being absent of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The complete lack of the phrase 'a week to soon' shows the rampant unprofessionalism at the heart of Premiership Rugby. I'd expect nothing more from Bruce Craig.

Amateurs!

Nasty injury list for them to be coping with but it's starting to clear. Fortunately for Leinster, I see the double header as coming a fraction too soon for them.

I don't see how Joseph could be involved in the game in The Rec after 8 months out. Faletau has come back from injury superbly in the past but I would see him as featuring in Dublin at best where hopefully Leinster will have some of their own players back.

Hopefully, Leinster's own injury issues clear up rapidly. Looking decidedly short in the back row and midfield right now with ROL, Leavy, SOB, Conan, Tomane and Henshaw all being absent of late.

I think the rapid inclusion of some of those due back in December will probably only happen if Bath win at home. If Leinster win away in the first game I doubt they'll rush anyone back for the second fixture.

We're not as bad in the back row when you consider Fardy can slot in at 6. The IRFU apparently didn't allow him play there in the pro14 but didn't stand in the way for Europe so I'd expect the same to apply this year.

Leavy VDF Ruddock could be our back row for the away game. Alternatively could see Fardy VDF Ruddock if Leavy is still injured. The inclusion of Fardy takes the edge off, but I think I'd like to see one of the younger guys come through for this game.

Could well see Doris, Deegan or Josh Murphy come onto the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

That's a smooth looking website. Pity Leinster can't have one as functional and used as often for updates

Granny15 wrote: »
    That's a smooth looking website. Pity Leinster can't have one as functional and used as often for updates

Good website. Average team.

Think I prefer the way Leinster do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

No. As a doctor. It was in the 42.

Woooosh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement