Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Good website. Average team.

Think I prefer the way Leinster do it ;)

They are quite a good team and although I think Leinster will beat them they could cause us some problems at the rec. Remember with our loss to Toulouse these are 2 must win games if we want to retain the title. But the away fixture could cause us problems and people will be calling us average in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bath are 8th in the premiership and finished 6th in a 12 team league last season. They aren't that good. Of course you must be weary of any away fixture, but if Leinster are zero'd in there shouldn't be any undue problems.

Penny obviously impressed Cullen as he gets another start. Not sure about that backline at all. Very callow. But the kids went well last week so it's right to give them another go.

15. Hugo Keenan (3)
    14. Adam Byrne (42)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (1)
    12. Conor O’Brien (6)
    11. Dave Kearney (126)
    10. Ross Byrne (56)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (58)
    1. Ed Byrne (29)
    2. James Tracy (76)
    3. Michael Bent (111)
    4. Ross Molony (70)
    5. Scott Fardy (30) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (13)
    7. Scott Penny (1)
    8. Caelan Doris (5)

16. Bryan Byrne (31)
    17. Peter Dooley (53)
    18. Andrew Porter (38)
    19. Mick Kearney (41)
    20. Max Deegan (28)
    21. Paddy Patterson (0)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (5)
    23. Tom Daly (11)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Expected a slightly stronger squad tbh. Reid playing 12 next week then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Doris-Deegan pecking order confirmed.

Great to see the youngsters get another run, harsh on Frawley I suppose.

Did O'Sullivan get injured last week too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Very surprised at that team. Thought we'd introduce some of the heavies back earlier to settle before Bath.

Having said that we've a big December with Europe and interpros.

Of every player in the Leinster setup currently, Patterson was the last name I'd expect to see on the team sheet.

Presumably that injury to McCarthy is keeping him out. But what happened O'Sullivan?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,680 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dragons are a poor side, but I'll think they'll put up much more of a challenge than Ospreys did last weekend.

I think the halfback pairing will help settle things, and there's a lot of experience in that tight five despite being second/third choice aside from Fardy.

Dragons are a poor side, but I'll think they'll put up much more of a challenge than Ospreys did last weekend.

I think the halfback pairing will help settle things, and there's a lot of experience in that tight five despite being second/third choice aside from Fardy.

While Ospreys were poor, our front 5 did some severe damage to them and they never got a foothold.

It's the same front 5 again and it will be more of the same. Dragons are stubborn but defensively passive. Keep the ball and win the collisions with the tight 5 and it will be a lot of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

It would have been nice to see Frawley at 12 with COB at 13 if that's supposed to be his best position and would have slightly lessened the inexperience in the centre.

Ulster have their internationals who played against the US back this weekend.

So Leinster 100% have an eye on the next few weeks and are resting the big fellas. Hopefully that doesn't bite us tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Is Hugh O'Sullivan injured?

troyzer wrote: »

Wasn't part of the injury update the other day so not too sure.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster gone from -18 to -10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wasn't part of the injury update the other day so not too sure.

Is it strange that they're capping a first year academy guy when there are two guys in front?

If we struggle in this game then Frawley is better than Byrne, therefore Frawley is also superior to 2013 Madigan and 2016 Jackson

Ulster have their internationals who played against the US back this weekend.

So Leinster 100% have an eye on the next few weeks and are resting the big fellas. Hopefully that doesn't bite us tomorrow
    Leinster have a 10 point lead in the pool. I suppose if there's any game to rest players for its this one.

We are 10 points clear at the top of the table and Dragons have been poor. We've a bit of a golden opportunity to develop more talent in the coming months and it's timely because half our squad will be gone for the first two months of next season.

Is it strange that they're capping a first year academy guy when there are two guys in front?

Well McCarthy is out injured, so it's really just O'Sullivan he's being picked over as I'm sure Luke is being rested with the rest of the internationals. I'm sure there's reasoning behind Patterson, he's been playing quite well for the As by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

If we struggle in this game then Frawley is better than Byrne, therefore Frawley is also superior to 2013 Madigan and 2016 Jackson

In that case, do we think that Ireland would have beaten Argentina in 2015, would he have thrown that pass against Toulon in the semi final against Toulon and would Ireland have won the series in SA?

Bath side for the Sale game. Not quite full strength but they've put a lot of first team players in there. I believe they were hoping Jonathan Joseph would be ready for this game. Since he isn't I can't see him taking any part in either game against Leinster.

15. Ruaridh McConnochie

14. Semesa Rokoduguni

13. Jackson Willison

12. Max Wright

11. Joe Cokanasiga

10. Freddie Burns

9. Kahn Fotuali’i

1. Nathan Catt

2. Jack Walker

3. Henry Thomas

4. Elliott Stooke

5. Charlie Ewels (c)

6. Francois Louw

7. Sam Underhill

8. Zach Mercer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Clegg wrote: »
    Penny obviously impressed Cullen as he gets another start. Not sure about that backline at all. Very callow. But the kids went well last week so it's right to give them another go.

15. Hugo Keenan (3)
    14. Adam Byrne (42)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (1)
    12. Conor O’Brien (6)
    11. Dave Kearney (126)
    10. Ross Byrne (56)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (58)
    1. Ed Byrne (29)
    2. James Tracy (76)
    3. Michael Bent (111)
    4. Ross Molony (70)
    5. Scott Fardy (30) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (13)
    7. Scott Penny (1)
    8. Caelan Doris (5)

16. Bryan Byrne (31)
    17. Peter Dooley (53)
    18. Andrew Porter (38)
    19. Mick Kearney (41)
    20. Max Deegan (28)
    21. Paddy Patterson (0)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (5)
    23. Tom Daly (11)

Delighted with this selection. Great to see youngsters being blooded. Some surprising selections, happy to see Dorris over Deegan and happy to see Patterson get a run. All I've seen of O'Sullivan has been a little underwhelming. It's mad to think porter already has more caps than the Byrne twins but I would have liked to see Bryan get a start. Been the total professional in every appearance I have seen of him in blue

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Kevski wrote: »
    In that case, do we think that Ireland would have beaten Argentina in 2015, would he have thrown that pass against Toulon in the semi final against Toulon and would Ireland have won the series in SA?

Yes
    No
    Yes

And, that would mean that Ireland would be ranked No. 1, and Leinster would have another star on their jersey. 😉

McCarthy could be out for a few weeks with whatever he has done.

In which case it's probably better to have 3 fully fit scrumhalves for the next few weeks with Europe and interpros coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

atticu wrote: »
    Yes
    No
    Yes

And, that would mean that Ireland would be ranked No. 1, and Leinster would have another star on their jersey. 😉

That star could mean that MOC stayed on and Leo/Lancaster never came in so I think I’m ok with how things turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Byrne got very little game time in the last two months, he needs more time on the pitch. Right call ahead of Europe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thats some back row bath have !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thats some back row bath have !!

With Faletau injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This might be the strongest weak team leinster have ever named

This might be the strongest weak team leinster have ever named

It's a far cry from the days of Mick McGrath and Darragh Fanning under MOC alright.

I don't think there's a single player in that squad who you would call a "Pro14 backup".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If Leinster were fully fit where would this starting 15 rank in terms of average position in a depth chart that only allows one position per player.

Keenan (3rd - Larmour, Kearney)
    DK (3rd - Tomane, Daly)
    T'OB (3rd - ROL, Ringrose)
    C'OB (3rd - Reid, Henshaw)
    A Byrne (3rd - Lowe, McFadden)
    R Bynre (2nd - Sexton)
    JGP (2nd - McGrath)

E Byrne (4th - Healy, McGrath, Dooley)
    Tracy (2nd - Cronin)
    Bent (3rd - Porter Furlong)
    Molony (2nd - Ryan)
    Fardy (2nd - Toner)
    Murphy (3rd - SOB, Ruddock)
    Penny (3rd - Leavy, VDF)
    Doris (2nd - Conan)

So on average, I reckon they're 2.666 down. Have we ever started a "deeper" team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement