Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

thebaz wrote: »
    has leavy ever played 8 ?? is he tall eneogh ??

Yes, he has played there a couple of times for us but only when we had no other options. I recall one of them was a late switch when the named starter pulled out on the day.

Checked. Three games in total all in the 2016/17 season against Treviso, Scarlets and Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ps i know in this year of perfection , Leo and team know best , but curious

Height isn't really a metric for an 8, but he's listed at 6'3 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

There is basically no part of playing 8 which requires you to be tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Height isn't really a metric for an 8, but he's listed at 6'3 anyways.

i would have thought he was around 6 1 - hard to know is he better open or blindside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

ps i know in this year of perfection , Leo and team know best , but curious

Jack only has 2cm on Dan.

But also both aren't really lineout options and rarely take them and are not lifted a huge amount defensively I don't think it's a problem

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Bath in some trouble. Freddie Burns didn't pass his fitness test. With Priestland out already, James Wilson starts at 10. Zach Mercer also misses out after a knock last week which is a big loss. Louw starts at 8 (oddly similar to us being forced to start Leavy there).

If our front five can get well on top, we should really be winning this with a little room to spare.

How are we forced to start Leavy at 8? I would have thought Conan should start at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Backline looks interesting. Back 3 will be a force to be reckoned with.

Centres are an area of worry - I think Reid while he has the rugby brain might just not have the physique to cope with Roberts running down that channel all day. I hope we don't cough up cheap points here and my feeling is that Ringrose will play close in and communicate well to help out Reid down there tomorrow.

Halfbacks - sound. Backrow - I wonder if Leavy shouldn't be playing 6 instead of 8 and Rhys to 8. Interesting but I think we will lack go forward ball off the base if Leavy doesnt draw the man and pass it out of contact as his only option off the base. Likely to get clobbered physically by a big Bath pack.

Delighted for Ed Byrne - its bee na long time coming and he thoroughly deserves it being a consumate professional with his brother every day of the week. Think this might be a glimpse into the future of Leinster front row.

As Buer said I think the game will be won by the front 5 who have a tough assignment but doable after 60th minute.

How are we forced to start Leavy at 8? I would have thought Conan should start at 8

I would imagine it's fairly clear that there are still doubts over Conan's fitness. If he's fit, he's our best option at 8 by a country mile.

Granny15 wrote: »
    Backline looks interesting. Back 3 will be a force to be reckoned with.

Centres are an area of worry - I think Reid while he has the rugby brain might just not have the physique to cope with Roberts running down that channel all day. I hope we don't cough up cheap points here and my feeling is that Ringrose will play close in and communicate well to help out Reid down there tomorrow.

Halfbacks - sound. Backrow - I wonder if Leavy shouldn't be playing 6 instead of 8 and Rhys to 8. Interesting but I think we will lack go forward ball off the base if Leavy doesnt draw the man and pass it out of contact as his only option off the base. Likely to get clobbered physically by a big Bath pack.

Delighted for Ed Byrne - its bee na long time coming and he thoroughly deserves it being a consumate professional with his brother every day of the week. Think this might be a glimpse into the future of Leinster front row.

As Buer said I think the game will be won by the front 5 who have a tough assignment but doable after 60th minute.

I don't even think Reid does have a Rugby brain. I thought he was fairly poor against Ospreys. Very slow to make decision and often got caught without making one. Not really sure what he offers.

I'd prefer to have Fardy on the bench and have Nick McCarthy as backup 9. He's had a decent showing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't even think Reid does have a Rugby brain. I thought he was fairly poor against Ospreys. Very slow to make decision and often got caught without making one. Not really sure what he offers.

I'd prefer to have Fardy on the bench and have Nick McCarthy as backup 9. He's had a decent showing recently.

Nick is injured right?

• Advertisement

I'm getting everything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

I'd have to say I agree with that and would go one further and wonder why he stayed playing when he doesn't have the physique for the Pro game. It's embarassing to watch sometimes. I think generally he switches off after being dominated physically or at least becoming a turnstyle to the opposition attack. Hopefully he does better than I'm giving him credit for.

Granny15 wrote: »
    I'd have to say I agree with that and would go one further and wonder why he stayed playing when he doesn't have the physique for the Pro game. It's embarassing to watch sometimes. I think generally he switches off after being dominated physically or at least becoming a turnstyle to the opposition attack. Hopefully he does better than I'm giving him credit for.

Is this a real comment?

He's been picked by several different coaches and offered contracts by people much more in the know than yourself. That's why he is still a pro.

People need to chill out a bit on Reid.

He's not Sonny Bill. But he is a very dependable player and does the job expected of him.

People who question all this really need to cop the **** on because he has over 100 caps for Leinster. You don't get that by accident or by being ****.

He is dependable without being overly spectacular and for some reason people just can't accept that and feel the need just just give a lazy generic "yeah well he can't defend" comment at every chance.

And his defense is quite over stated tbh. Show me recent examples of defensive howlers that cost the team badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Reid started at 12 and scored the 4th try in Glasgow last season. He might struggle with Roberts, but then a lot of people do. He's not as bad as some are making out, and embarrassing is totally OTT. Against Ospreys he got rounded a couple of times early on, learned from it and was pretty solid thereafter. Getting caught between decisions can be as much down to defensive pressure or the man outside not being in the right place as it can be down to indecision.

Anyway, we are a better side from 1-10 without doubt in my mind. That's where the game will be won. Having Lowe, Ringrose and Larmour outside of that should be more than enough to ensure we get what we need from this one. Leinster by two scores or more for me.

Also.

While we're on "Reid can't defend"

He has an 80% tackle success rate for 2018.

Leinster as a team around around 85-90% for 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Reid is a decent player, I don't know where people get the idea that he's useless from. He's not on the levels of Ringrose or Henshaw, but he can do a job, and is a good 2nd play maker.

He's also a very, very good runner of the ball. I'd expect him to go past Roberts at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm getting everything wrong

Including McCarthy having a decent showing recently, he was awful at every aspect of a scrumhalves game before getting injured in the Ospreys game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Buer wrote: »
    I would imagine it's fairly clear that there are still doubts over Conan's fitness. If he's fit, he's our best option at 8 by a country mile.

Surely if there’s a doubt over Conan you start him rather than having him come on and break down? Otherwise he probably shouldn’t be traveling?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Reid started at 12 and scored the 4th try in Glasgow last season. He might struggle with Roberts, but then a lot of people do. He's not as bad as some are making out, and embarrassing is totally OTT. Against Ospreys he got rounded a couple of times early on, learned from it and was pretty solid thereafter. Getting caught between decisions can be as much down to defensive pressure or the man outside not being in the right place as it can be down to indecision.

Anyway, we are a better side from 1-10 without doubt in my mind. That's where the game will be won. Having Lowe, Ringrose and Larmour outside of that should be more than enough to ensure we get what we need from this one. Leinster by two scores or more for me.

Big players running straight at him are not an issue for Reid, it's his positioning that can be suspect or defensive reads. Do you remember Montpelier sending Nadalo down his channel three times last year in the RDS and he just went low and chopped him down each time.

• Advertisement

Noel Reid should be shot out of a cannon into the sun

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »
    Big players running straight at him are not an issue for Reid, it's his positioning that can be suspect or defensive reads. Do you remember Montpelier sending Nadalo down his channel three times last year in the RDS and he just went low and chopped him down each time.

I agree with this. Reid gets an awful raw deal among some Leinster fans here.

I think people expect him to be Robbie Henshaw, which he isn't, but he's a good squad player who can come in and put in a solid shift. That's his role in this team and while he's had some suspect performances, overall he's been an important part of the wider squad.

The Jamie Roberts concerns are a lazy argument to be fair. Roberts could make any top class centre look average.

Leavy at 8 is interesting as it means our best three back-rowers are playing together. That's not a slight on Conan because I think he's a better 8 but if that back-row as a unit put in a performance reflective of their indivudual abilities, then there will be some interesting weeks ahead in terms of selection.

I'd say with that backrow we will definitely be targeting their breakdown. Not really sure what to make of Leavy playing 8 ahead of Ruddock, will be very interesting to see how he goes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe it's a week too early for Conan? Strange that Leavy is at 8, but he's so good a player I think he'll be fine.
    I hope Larmour is fully fit after his medical procedure.
    I think the condition of the pitch will dictate how we play and if it's a slog I think we have plenty of cover to win.

I think that not having McGrath behind Healy is a worry.
    That's an area we usually are superior and Ed Byrne has a real chance to stake a claim. I hope he's capable.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »
    I'd say with that backrow we will definitely be targeting their breakdown. Not really sure what to make of Leavy playing 8 ahead of Ruddock, will be very interesting to see how he goes though.

I think it's a case that Ruddock is going so well at 6 that it would be a bit riskier to take him out of there? If you remember against Wasps Rhys wasn't even in the squad, then had to come in after Leavy got injured and dominated.

I don't know to be honest. I think I'd be happier with Leavy at 8 instead of Ruddock though.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think it's a case that Ruddock is going so well at 6 that it would be a bit riskier to take him out of there? If you remember against Wasps Rhys wasn't even in the squad, then had to come in after Leavy got injured and dominated.

I don't know to be honest. I think I'd be happier with Leavy at 8 instead of Ruddock though.

I can't remember any of the games that Leavy played 8 for us, so have no real frame of reference for how he plays there. One way or another I'm sure the coaches have confidence in him, so will be interesting to see how he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I wonder if Joe is whispering in Leo's ear, trying to see if he's a viable world cup option at 8.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Surely if there’s a doubt over Conan you start him rather than having him come on and break down? Otherwise he probably shouldn’t be traveling?

There's certainly merit in that approach although I've seen coaches take either approach.

I would suggest he shouldn't be travelling if there's any concern over him and I'd be curious as to who the spare forward is. I imagine it's Doris or Deegan as cover for Conan.

I say this because there's not a snowball's chance in hell that we started Leavy ahead of a fit Conan at No. 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭randomname2005

troyzer wrote: »
    I wonder if Joe is whispering in Leo's ear, trying to see if he's a viable world cup option at 8.

If that is the case you would hope it would be tried in a less important game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

If that is the case you would hope it would be tried in a less important game.

Why? He's not an academy player, he's not going to make huge mistakes.

He's a professional, worst case scenario he just struggles and is off. But it's not like he would be a liability, leaving huge gaps in defense and coughing up the ball. He's still Dan Leavy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement