Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster won’t be replacing Sexton, Byrne is a very good young 10 and Frawley all going well will be back up. If one of them ends up not being there in 2 years then we may get a bit of cover in but that’s it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Weather looks atrocious for Saturday. Hope it changes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

troyzer wrote: »
    I didn't mean to suggest that better players are being blocked. What I meant was that players with more potential are having their development stunted because a current player who is slightly better but with limited upside is in the way.
    Reid isn’t stunting their development, COB has got game time this season in Pro14 games, he’s not ready for Europe yet, Reid is. If he was good enough to displace Reid he would have by now. Potential is a funny thing, Reid had loads of potential, but his level ended at solid pro, which is probably where COB and Tom Daly will end up at too.
    You're of course correct but that doesn't fly here. Experience uber alles.

Shiny new toy, shiny new toy la la la, same old song every time. Can’t wait till next year when you’re complaining COB and Frawley are blocking some young lads progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What do they do with Henshaw? Does he get a central contract? He's played so little for Leinster and is injured frequently.
    Should Ringrose get a central contract? I believe he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    What do they do with Henshaw? Does he get a central contract? He's played so little for Leinster and is injured frequently.
    Should Ringrose get a central contract? I believe he should.

Henshaw already has a central contract, Ringrose deserves one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »

Is he? Between Ireland, the Lions and Leinster, he has started 43 games in his two seasons since departing Connacht. In those two seasons, he started 16 of 17 Champions Cup games.

He has shipped a couple of bad knocks but has always come back more quickly. They've been very unlucky injuries too. A torn pectoral for the Lions, a dislocated shoulder against Italy when a defender fell on him as he grounded a try and now a hamstring injury during a warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    Is he? Between Ireland, the Lions and Leinster, he has started 43 games in his two seasons since departing Connacht. In those two seasons, he started 16 of 17 Champions Cup games.

He has shipped a couple of bad knocks but has always come back more quickly. They've been very unlucky injuries too. A torn pectoral for the Lions, a dislocated shoulder against Italy when a defender fell on him as he grounded a try and now a hamstring injury during a warm up.

He has played a lot of top level games since his move.

But it still does look weird to see that he only has 31 games in 3 seasons for Leinster ha.

He played 13 in his first year, 11 last year and 5 (so far) this year.

Those numbers for Ireland starters would want to be closer to 20 in blue. Most front liners except Sexton player 17-20 games for Leinster a season when they stay fit.

Rob Kearney has played 27 games for Leinster in the same period as Henshaw. And has been similarly injury disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

He has played a lot of top level games since his move.

But it still does look weird to see that he only has 31 games in 3 seasons for Leinster ha.

He played 13 in his first year, 11 last year and 5 (so far) this year.

Those numbers for Ireland starters would want to be closer to 20 in blue. Most front liners except Sexton player 17-20 games for Leinster a season when they stay fit.

Rob Kearney has played 27 games for Leinster in the same period as Henshaw. And has been similarly injury disrupted.

Furlong, Ryan, Leavy, Conan, Van Der Flier, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour, Ringrose and Henshaw are the building blocks for Leinster's long term future, Henshaws contribution for club and country cannot be underestimated, yes he has been on the end of some bad injury spells but he is still a young player and I am certain he still has a very long career for club and country ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

jonok28 wrote: »
    Malcolm Marx and Izzy Folau please (Joking obviously)

I'd rather Marx and Semi Radrada...maybe Faf too :D

• Advertisement

I'd rather Marx and Semi Radrada...maybe Faf too :D

Might as well see if Rettalick is available also haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Retallick would be a good replacement for when Ryan needs a rest.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    Retallick would be a good replacement for when Ryan needs a rest.

would the drop off in quality be worth it though?? :p

Looking like the weather conditions are going to suit Bath on Saturday, not looking good for getting the bonus point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

What do we think the team for the weekend will be?

My preferred 15 would have Fardy playing and Lowe on the wing therefore with McCarthy injured you;d have to bench HOS or PP with a view to giving them their first European exposure. I know they are green and there can be the argument made for starting Ruddock and leaving Fardy out but I think PP is good enough if he was called upon for 30 mins or more if needed.

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Fardy
    7. Leavy
    8. Conan
    9. McGrath
    10. Sexton/Byrne if he is unfit
    11. Lowe
    12. ROL get us closer to the gainline in contact than Reid can.
    13. Rongrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

16. Tracy
    17. Bent
    18. Porter
    19. Ruddock
    20. Van Der Flier
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. Byrne
    23. Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Looking like the weather conditions are going to suit Bath on Saturday, not looking good for getting the bonus point win.

Not looking too promising at all, the forecast has worsened significantly in the past couple of days. Significant rain and gusty weather on the day. It's going to be a day for the purists again.

With that said, we've had 80 minutes against them already and should be more clued in on getting on top of them this week. If we come out of the traps firing, I think the BP is still well on the cards.

scrum penalties, kicks to corner, maul over tries.......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    scrum penalties, kicks to corner, maul over tries.......

You're reliant on getting supremacy up front which after last week I'm not sure we'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Heymans wrote: »
    You're reliant on getting supremacy up front which after last week I'm not sure we'll do.

I would chalk last week down to rustiness.
    Leinster have the best pack in Europe and can absolutely play a set-piece and maul game and expect to get a BP at home.

Bath played out of their skins last week and were at home. Leinster were not near their best and were away from home.

I sense a thrashing coming on Saturday.

better pitch and better ref at breakdown are two things outside of our control which will work for us.

after that i expect us to be a hell of a lot better up front this Saturday.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    better pitch and better ref at breakdown are two things outside of our control which will work for us.

after that i expect us to be a hell of a lot better up front this Saturday.

I think people are overestimating our position Vs. European opposition. We're not as good as we were last season (probably down to 3/4 players leaving and also we think every game will be a thrashing. It won't.)

We are capable yet not unsurpassed in the front 5 and are European beaters in the backrow. We are world standard at flyhalf but lack depth at centre.

I'm not sure we will thrash anyone this weekend and these 2 games will have been an eye opener for many Leinster fans as to where we sit this season.

Any thought on the team for this weekend?

I think people are overestimating our position Vs. European opposition. We're not as good as we were last season (probably down to 3/4 players leaving and also we think every game will be a thrashing. It won't.)

We are capable yet not unsurpassed in the front 5 and are European beaters in the backrow. We are world standard at flyhalf but lack depth at centre.

I'm not sure we will thrash anyone this weekend and these 2 games will have been an eye opener for many Leinster fans as to where we sit this season.

Any thought on the team for this weekend?

i think people are simply reflecting a few facts:

1. we are all the bookies favourites to win the competition
    2. we are the current reigning champions
    3. we consistently field a team full of regular internationals (which very very few teams can do)
    4. we do not flog our players and usually reserve the best of them for European games.

while i certainly do not expect to trash every team we meet.... no one could have foreseen the opening days result v wasps. We are top of the tree for a reason.

as far as this game goes, the weather will be a big leveller and this bath team are much stronger upfront then they are out wide, so how they will play is already clear. However i believe the stodginess of the pitch last week, and the lassiz faire approach reynal had to the breakdown will not be repeated this weekend, and that will be to leinster advantage. i still expect that bath back row to poach a few balls, but nothing to the degree of the last game. We generally are good at ball retention, however we were poor at that aspect of the game last week, not in the least due to the two reasons ive just mentioned.... plus ruddock and leavy had as poor games as ive seen from them in a long time. (still great to get an away win though)

6 of those 8 bath turnovers were within their own half, and that really sucks the life out of the attacking team... even halving that rate equates to significant pressure increase by us.

Bath are +24 and im all over that like a rash by the way.

However, can we get a BP win here? i think we certainly can if we target certain areas and focus our game in a certain way to achieve that.

in regards to the team:

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. VDF
    8. Conan
    9. McGrath
    10. Sexton/Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Reid
    13. Ringrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

16. Tracy
    17. Bent
    18. Porter
    19. Molony / Kearney
    20. Doris
    21. JGP
    22. Byrne / Frawley
    23. ROL

Have to pick Fardy this weekend.

He previously nullified PRIME JACKALER Tadhg Beirne single handedly in both European semi final and pro 14 final last year.

Have to pick Fardy this weekend.

He previously nullified PRIME JACKALER Tadhg Beirne single handedly in both European semi final and pro 14 final last year.

That will come at the cost of Lowe then because we need JGP on the bench to replace McGrath. I think we have enough talent in the pack to do without Fardy, I don't think we have enough talent on the wing currently to do without Lowe.

I think the only team selection this week which has a chance to surprise is Bath's.

They are not quite out and three wins could see them through - but it's really unlikely at this point given they travel to Leinster this weekend and Toulouse in round 5.

Don't think it matters much either way, last week was a huge effort and I can't see a replication of it in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What do we think the team for the weekend will be?

My preferred 15 would have Fardy playing and Lowe on the wing therefore with McCarthy injured you;d have to bench HOS or PP with a view to giving them their first European exposure. I know they are green and there can be the argument made for starting Ruddock and leaving Fardy out but I think PP is good enough if he was called upon for 30 mins or more if needed.

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Fardy
    7. Leavy
    8. Conan
    9. McGrath
    10. Sexton/Byrne if he is unfit
    11. Lowe
    12. ROL get us closer to the gainline in contact than Reid can.
    13. Rongrose
    14. Larmour
    15. Kearney

16. Tracy
    17. Bent
    18. Porter
    19. Ruddock
    20. Van Der Flier
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. Byrne
    23. Reid

Patterson isn't in the European squad. O'Sullivan is but I really don't think we will be seeing him. Lowe is the odd one out with Dave Kearney or Adam Byrne the likely inclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I rather like the title for the latest Leinster season ticket email

Leinster V Bath - Raise your flags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Expect a big reaction from our backrow this weekend, got thoroughly out played by the Louw and Underhill, though Ruddock was the most exposed in that game and was poor around the pitch, however did quite well in the lineout,

I'd go with Leavy, Fardy, Conan and VDF on the bench and Ruddock dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As champions there is a target on our backs. Everyone wants to beat us.
    Bath are a big physical side and in crap conditions can stay with us.
    Moving that pack all across the field and wearing them down would be the way to go imo.
    I would look for space early and chip into it and behind the defence. The fitness of Bath is not at our level imo and changing our attack this week into forcing them to chase back could be the answer.
    If the weather is as bad as last week, I think it will be a similar game as last week.
    I think we will win but not with the bonus.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I don’t think we can drop Ruddock for Fardy, Fardy can only play 6 in case of emergency no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement