Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

stephen_n wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I don’t think we can drop Ruddock for Fardy, Fardy can only play 6 in case of emergency no?

My understanding is that in the league the IRFU won't sanction Leinster to play Fardy at 6. I'm not sure if this extends to absolute emergency situations.

In Europe I don't think the IRFU has any say whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We're going to be looking to get the ball the hell away from that breakdown and move it quickly (even with the weather). With that in mind, I'd say we'll go with a repeat of the pack that was originally due to face Wasps which had Leavy and VDF on either side of Conan in the back row. Ruddock to move to the bench although I wouldn't be completely against something slightly left field like putting Deegan and Ruddock both on the bench.

Deegan has shown himself to be extremely useful in the loose when the game opens up in the closing stages. He could be very handy if we're chasing a try. Molony to drop out of the 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

troyzer wrote: »
    Nordi left after his contract expired. That had nothing to do with the IRFU. Carbery was on all Joe though.

Nordi left because Heaslip was in front of him and a load more players.

After he signed it was announced that Heaslip woudl retire but he was gone at that stage

Something very similar happened with Conway. He signed for Munster and then Shaggy had to retire. He ended up first choice winger then for rest of the season and won two trophies but he was already signed......still the only 2 trophies he has:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

My understanding is that in the league the IRFU won't sanction Leinster to play Fardy at 6. I'm not sure if this extends to absolute emergency situations.

Well I’m sure the IRFU have a say, but maybe there’s an agreement over Europe. Still not sure they’d select Fardy ahead of Ruddock at 6. Were they ever both in contention last year, I can’t remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

This is nonsense surely?

Fardy replaced Ruddock at 6 in both the Pro 14 semi-final and final last season. He started at 6 against Scarlets in the home league game, and probably featured there a bunch of other times throughout the season that I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They have no input on that level. Taute was signed as a 15 to get around this. Isa was signed as a 10.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They do have an input.

Leinster got into bother last season for playing Fardy in the back row and the IRFU blocked Leinster from picking Fardy in the back row for the league final (he ended up on the bench instead).

awec wrote: »
    They do have an input.

Leinster got into bother last season for playing Fardy in the back row and the IRFU blocked Leinster from picking Fardy in the back row for the league final (he ended up on the bench instead).

He started the Champions Cup quarter and semi at 6, with Conan on the bench for the semi.

And Leo at the time of his signing stated that the IRFU said there was no positional restrictions for Fardy
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/cullen-reveals-irfu-have-not-placed-any-positional-restrictions-on-fardy-and-offers-update-on-pursuit-of-kiwi-wing-35499415.html

He started the Champions Cup quarter and semi at 6, with Conan on the bench for the semi.

And Leo at the time of his signing stated that the IRFU said there was no positional restrictions for Fardy
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/cullen-reveals-irfu-have-not-placed-any-positional-restrictions-on-fardy-and-offers-update-on-pursuit-of-kiwi-wing-35499415.html
    Europe is different.

That statement is from almost 2 years ago.

Europe is different.

Yeah but on the Pro14 final, Nordi was benched as well out of nowhere so I don't think it's as outright as 'the IRFU said Fardy couldn't start in the backrow'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I imagine it’s more an agreement not to play him in the back row unless it’s necessary and depending on the match itself. So being stuck for a back row against dragons say would be different to being stuck for one in a knock out game or a final.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Would be surprised if Fardy comes into the back-row.

Think the calls for him to come in sound like panic. Ruddock and Leavy didn't have the best of days but surely they deserve the opportunity to redeem themselves before bringing in Fardy?

I don't like this dropping players because they had one below-par game lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Really bad weather promised for Saturday. Could turn the game into a lottery; certainly won't be a night for throwing it around.

Europe is different.

Do you have a source for the claim that Leinster were blocked from picking Fardy outside of the second row?

Any public info I can find states the opposite. It also doesn’t really make sense to me that Europe and Pro 14 would be treated differently, especially considering he started at 6 in both Europe and the Pro 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Serbian wrote: »
    Do you have a source for the claim that Leinster were blocked from picking Fardy outside of the second row?

Any public info I can find states the opposite. It also doesn’t really make sense to me that Europe and Pro 14 would be treated differently, especially considering he started at 6 in both Europe and the Pro 14.

I’m pretty sure he’s never started at 6 in the PRO14. He actually started at 5 in the game against Scarlets in the RDS that you mentioned earlier.

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah but on the Pro14 final, Nordi was benched as well out of nowhere so I don't think it's as outright as 'the IRFU said Fardy couldn't start in the backrow'.

Didn't Conan start ahead of Murphy, with Fardy on the bench?

Didn't Conan start ahead of Murphy, with Fardy on the bench?
    Yes, Fardy was benched for the final.

Kevski wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure he’s never started at 6 in the PRO14. He actually started at 5 in the game against Scarlets in the RDS that you mentioned earlier.

Sorry, I was looking at the Champions Cup game. He did start at 6 vs Glasgow away however so he has definitely started at 6 in the league.

I do.

Oh yeah?

• Advertisement

Europe has always been treated differently, provinces are given pretty much free reign to pick a team that will win.

Sorry, I was looking at the Champions Cup game. He did start at 6 vs Glasgow away however so he has definitely started at 6 in the league.

Think he started at 5 in that game too! :pac:

I can’t remember exactly what happened but Mick Kearney came on for Leavy after about half an hour and Fardy went into the back row in Leavy’s place. So he didn’t start there but did finish there!

Kevski wrote: »
    Think he started at 5 in that game too! :pac:

I can’t remember exactly what happened but Mick Kearney came on for Leavy after about half an hour and Fardy went into the back row in Leavy’s place. So he didn’t start there but did finish there!

Hrm, Ultimate Rugby has him down as starting 6 anyway, could be wrong.

jmpXySi.jpg

Edit: seems like he did start 6, corroborated by Leinster’s site: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/25878/

Europe has always been treated differently, provinces are given pretty much free reign to pick a team that will win.

I’m just interested to see where this idea came from really. I would have thought it’s more likely he rarely started 6 in the league because we’re not restricted by a number of players in the squad (and nearly always face a much inferior standard of opposition realistically) so always have academy cover if there’s an issue, rather than it being anything mandated by the IRFU.

Hrm, Ultimate Rugby has him down as starting 6 anyway, could be wrong.

jmpXySi.jpg

Edit: seems like he did start 6, corroborated by Leinster’s site: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/25878/

I stand corrected! Seems like he started at 6 but only played half an hour there because Kearney went off and Leavy came on for him. Basically I had it all the wrong way around :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So, in conclusion, it appears a province can select what they want if they feel it necessary regardless of the competition. Above we had Fardy starting at flanker despite Leavy, Jordi Murphy and Josh Murphy all being included in the 23.

The IRFU/Schmidt/Nucifora can make requests, I'm sure and certainly influence the situation but if Leinster deem it suitable/necessary to play Fardy at blindside in a match, it would appear they can certainly do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah but they asked Ulster to play Payne at 13 so none of this can be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah but they asked Ulster to play Payne at 13 so none of this can be true

Provincial coaches will presumably play ball with the national team for requests. I would think there’s not a rule but some agreements in place.

Buer wrote: »
    So, in conclusion, it appears a province can select what they want if they feel it necessary regardless of the competition. Above we had Fardy starting at flanker despite Leavy, Jordi Murphy and Josh Murphy all being included in the 23.

The IRFU/Schmidt/Nucifora can make requests, I'm sure and certainly influence the situation but if Leinster deem it suitable/necessary to play Fardy at blindside in a match, it would appear they can certainly do so.

As I said - I don't know what the rule is, nor what it extends to - I just know for a fact from two always reliable sources that the IRFU put the kibosh on Fardy in the backrow last season in the pro14. I don't know if this was because they wanted to see someone else at 6 or just in general not wanting him outside the second row - but I'm confident that they did intervene and it was against the intentions of Leinster at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

salmocab wrote: »
    Provincial coaches will presumably play ball with the national team for requests. I would think there’s not a rule but some agreements in place.

Whoosh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement