Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stephen_n wrote: »
    Whoosh

Damn it, point stands though I would think it’s more a loose agreement than a hard fast set of rules

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No I don’t think there are hard and fast rules, especially as we have seen Fardy start in the backrow. I’d say it’s a stated preference by the IRFU though and one that comes with the weight of future signings attached.

Sexton a doubt for tomorrow, who goes to the bench Reid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

As I said - I don't know what the rule is, nor what it extends to - I just know for a fact from two always reliable sources that the IRFU put the kibosh on Fardy in the backrow last season in the pro14.

I don't doubt that you have two reliable sources in the IRFU, and for all we know, it could be Leo Cullen and David Nucifora, but it's inaccurate to say they put the kibosh on Fardy in the back row in the Pro 14, because Leinster literally put him in the back row in the Pro 14 with a bunch of other back row players available. I think Buer is basically correct here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'd give Frawley a go. He deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Frawley is in the euro squad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Vuna in on the wing and Van Rooyen at loosehead for Bath. Everything else the same as. Mercer and Burns miss out again.

Hopefully last week's effort will be heavy on their legs. A BP for us tomorrow is critical if we want to pinch a top 2 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kearney out for Leinster. ROL, A Bryne, and Conan start.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Kearney out for Leinster. ROL, A Bryne, and Conan start.

Well, we certainly have the team to go at them out wide anyway. Can't help but think we'll be missing Kearney if the conditions are as bad as forecast.

Happy to see Adam Byrne get a run, his form of late has been really good. The fact that Cokanasiga is out will certainly help him. I wouldn't fancy an 18 stone winger facing him again.....instead he has the 17 stone Cooper Vuna!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

15 Larmour
    14 A Byrne
    13 Ringrose
    12 O'Loughlin
    11 Lowe
    10 Sexton (C)
    9 McGrath
    8 Conan
    7 Van Der Flier
    6 Leavy
    5 Ryan
    4 Toner
    3 Furlong
    2 Cronin
    1 Healy

Tracy, E Byrne, Porter, Molony, Ruddock, Gibson-Park, R Byrne, Reid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

15 Larmour
    14 A Byrne
    13 Ringrose
    12 O'Loughlin
    11 Lowe
    10 Sexton (C)
    9 McGrath
    8 Conan
    7 Van Der Flier
    6 Leavy
    5 Ryan
    4 Toner
    3 Furlong
    2 Cronin
    1 Healy

So no Fardy - pity, but I suppose JGP is really required. TG Sexton is OK.

15 Larmour
    14 A Byrne
    13 Ringrose
    12 O'Loughlin
    11 Lowe
    10 Sexton (C)
    9 McGrath
    8 Conan
    7 Van Der Flier
    6 Leavy
    5 Ryan
    4 Toner
    3 Furlong
    2 Cronin
    1 Healy

thats a hell of a lot of speed outside of 10 !!!

hopefully we get some clear weather around match time.

if swirling wind, expect major bombs down on the Bath wingers

sydthebeat wrote: »

I wouldn't consider Lowe or Adam Byrne particularly fast tbh! Larmour is lethal over 40m, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Ringrose or Byrne over 100m.

Good team, am half thinking Sexton will make way before kick off.

I wouldn't consider Lowe or Adam Byrne particularly fast tbh! Larmour is lethal over 40m, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Ringrose or Byrne over 100m.

Good team, am half thinking Sexton will make way before kick off.

they may not be the fastest wingers in the world, but they certainly are among the fastest players in the leinster squad... and while i think Byrne has lost a yard of speed during his injury lay off, his speed back then was lethal.. its not that long ago he was tearing saints a new one in the H cup.

but all through that back line we have top level and consistent speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

hopefully we get some clear weather around match time.

if swirling wind, expect major bombs down on the Bath wingers

And on Larmour and Byrne. Neither are exactly mountain goats.

I'd have said Byrne is probably our single best fielder of an attacking ball?

Not sure what you mean???

They're no 'bambi on ice' in bad weather?

they may not be the fastest wingers in the world, but they certainly are among the fastest players in the leinster squad... and while i think Byrne has lost a yard of speed during his injury lay off, his speed back then was lethal.. its not that long ago he was tearing saints a new one in the H cup.

but all through that back line we have top level and consistent speed

I'm not sure Adam Byrne has ever been lightning quick. At one point I thought he was, but I watched him doing an individual warm up in the RDS early last season, he wasn't playing but was working with one of the physio's. He was doing timed drills over 60m and I was struck by his lack of acceleration, he's a big unit and terrific in the air - but I'm not sure he's all that quick or at the least I'm not sure how well his speed translates to the specific requirements of rugby.

What I do like however about our back three is the variety. Lowe can bosh, has terrific hands and runs nice lines. Larmour is very quick, has an exceptional step and also positions himself well on attack. Byrne offers a significant aerial threat and can be a handful to defend when he has a bit of space to get going.

At the very least I'd say there is a nice balance to our back three - albeit I'd rather Kearney replace Byrne (they are somewhat similar in their attacking game) and Larmour drifted to the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Buer wrote: »
    I'd have said Byrne is probably our single best fielder of an attacking ball?

Defensively though?

Maybe uncharitable and based on nothing other than my gut perception, i always feel nervous with AB under a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

I'm not sure Adam Byrne has ever been lightning quick. At one point I thought he was, but I watched him doing an individual warm up in the RDS early last season, he wasn't playing but was working with one of the physio's. He was doing timed drills over 60m and I was struck by his lack of acceleration, he's a big unit and terrific in the air - but I'm not sure he's all that quick or at the least I'm not sure how well his speed translates to the specific requirements of rugby.

What I do like however about our back three is the variety. Lowe can bosh, has terrific hands and runs nice lines. Larmour is very quick, has an exceptional step and also positions himself well on attack. Byrne offers a significant aerial threat and can be a handful to defend when he has a bit of space to get going.

At the very least I'd say there is a nice balance to our back three - albeit I'd rather Kearney replace Byrne (they are somewhat similar in their attacking game) and Larmour drifted to the wing.

And let us not forget how soft Adam Byrne is......

• Advertisement

Defensively though?

Maybe uncharitable and based on nothing other than my gut perception, i always feel nervous with AB under a ball.

His fielding is excellent, it's on the ground that his defensive frailties come in.

Byrne isn't quick to accelerate but is very fast when he gets up steam.

Think we might see a good few bombs going up from both teams.

Heymans wrote: »
    And let us not forget how soft Adam Byrne is......

Yes, and let's hope Bath don't stick their forwards out on the wing to target him. We were saved a try last week when Bath got wide of us with two passes because they had a hooker and a prop as the last two men!

I'd like nothing more than to see Adam Byrne use his size, Lowe won us a critical turnover on 70 minutes last week with a massive hit and resulting spill. Byrne should be able to produce moments like that but doesn't.

Sexton favoured the garryowen last week and Kearney was aggressive in contact when opposition gathered but Byrne has on many occasions stood off in those situations. He needs to get his hands dirty tomorrow if we use the ball the same way.

Speaking of Kearney, the lack of explanation in the media thus far is a little unusual, I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not feeling too confident! Windy swirling conditions and I presume some garryowen's raining down on our back 3.
    Larmour will be targeted as will Lowe, who botched a couple badly last week.
    Not too concerned about the back row as Conan starts. He can get us some go forward ball and control the back of the scrum.
    Very disappointing that Fardy misses out. Bath are a side he's perfect to play against.
    Leo must have plenty of faith in A Byrne for this fixture. I am surprised he didn't draft DK in. You would think he wants his best tacklers in the squad and Kearney is better in defense than AB.
    Hopefully, Sexton is fit enough to control proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Speaking of Kearney, the lack of explanation in the media thus far is a little unusual, I'd have thought?

Definitely, very surprised to not see him on the team sheet. Was there any suggestion at all pre team announcement that he might not make it for this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Dave or Rob?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He's busy getting the washing sorted before the bad weather this weekend.

Dave or Rob?

Mick!

Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Yes, and let's hope Bath don't stick their forwards out on the wing to target him. We were saved a try last week when Bath got wide of us with two passes because they had a hooker and a prop as the last two men!

I'd like nothing more than to see Adam Byrne use his size, Lowe won us a critical turnover on 70 minutes last week with a massive hit and resulting spill. Byrne should be able to produce moments like that but doesn't.

Sexton favoured the garryowen last week and Kearney was aggressive in contact when opposition gathered but Byrne has on many occasions stood off in those situations. He needs to get his hands dirty tomorrow if we use the ball the same way.

Adam won't get defensively found out by some forward out on the wing - generally if anything it is defensive reads and quick fire calls on whether to come in and hit the man with ball or whether to stay out wide.

Once he gets his defensive reads safe and soundly under control his attacking game and game under the high ball will allow him to flourish.

All he needs is to be given proper guidance from the men inside him and hopefully those reads will play out in his favour. I have no doubt that he will get stuck in and get his hands dirty and leave nothing behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »
    Adam won't get defensively found out by some forward out on the wing - generally if anything it is defensive reads and quick fire calls on whether to come in and hit the man with ball or whether to stay out wide.

Once he gets his defensive reads safe and soundly under control his attacking game and game under the high ball will allow him to flourish.

All he needs is to be given proper guidance from the men inside him and hopefully those reads will play out in his favour. I have no doubt that he will get stuck in and get his hands dirty and leave nothing behind.

INTERESTING!

VERY INTERESTING!

The plot of our long going feud thickens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement