Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

If Heaslip was born over a 100 years ago in Germany, would he have been part of Hitler's war council?

I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oooooh i like this. Arguing over hypothetical scenarios involving Heaslip presents limitless opportunities.

He is in our top 3 forwards of the pro era, he was still playing at an incredible level (see the France game before that England game), we don't need to argue about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If Heaslip was born over a 100 years ago in Germany, would he have been part of Hitler's war council?

I think so.

Would hitler have gotten into power?

salmocab wrote: »
    Would hitler have gotten into power?

No one would name their kids Jamie anymore...

No one would name their kids Jamie anymore...

He may have won, different fuhrer different result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think so.

The Jews would have done a lot better if he was anyway

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Dubinusa wrote: »
    But would Heaslip have been worth the central contract?
    At his age Conan surely would have been pushing him and Stander may have passed him for the national team.
    Surely age must factor into these contracts. Unless, it is a Sexton type issue, where the gulf is pretty big.

Stander/Conan weren't within an ass' roar of Heaslip when he played his last game for Ireland.

He was a World Rugby Player of the Year nominee just three months before that. One of the best players in the world.

Honestly, so many people embarrass themselves when they talk about Heaslip, especially after that England game when so many couldn't wait to stick the knife into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Faugheen wrote: »
    Stander/Conan weren't within an ass' roar of Heaslip when he played his last game for Ireland.

He was a World Rugby Player of the Year nominee just three months before that. One of the best players in the world.

Honestly, so many people embarrass themselves when they talk about Heaslip, especially after that England game when so many couldn't wait to stick the knife into him.

Not knocking Heaslip at all! Just implying that age could be a factor in central contracts. Similarly, D'arcy has said that his final contract was a lowball offer! So I was just starting that at Heaslips age, isn't the discussion necessary?
    I still hail the Heaslip and in no way claim that Stander is better. But, I think Conan could be as good.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not knocking Heaslip at all! Just implying that age could be a factor in central contracts. Similarly, D'arcy has said that his final contract was a lowball offer! So I was just starting that at Heaslips age, isn't the discussion necessary?
    I still hail the Heaslip and in no way claim that Stander is better. But, I think Conan could be as good.

Heaslip was still one of the best in his position in World Rugby when he was offered his central contract, so clearly she wasn't affecting his ability to play the game.

We'll never know what would have happened with Heaslip but at the time, he absolutely deserved his central contract as he was showing no signs of slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

When will the IRFU put the likes of James Ryan and Stockdale onto central contract ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Jews would have done a lot better if he was anyway

He was born in Jerusalem after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

EH ACTUALLY IT WAS TIBERIAS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gonad wrote: »
    When will the IRFU put the likes of James Ryan and Stockdale onto central contract ?

Stockdale signed an extension until 2020 back in February at Ulster, and Ryan only got his first senior contract last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Looking at Murray kinsellas analysis here, tough viewing for conor oBrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

crisco10 wrote: »
    Looking at Murray kinsellas analysis here, tough viewing for conor oBrian.

He wasn' t great. Thought Adam Byrne might have been in for a roasting after HT but he was excellent second half and really showed some physical play and some great hands in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He wasn' t great. Thought Adam Byrne might have been in for a roasting after HT but he was excellent second half and really showed some physical play and some great hands in contact.

Byrne wandering in field a bit too taking the ball at pace. Good to see

Tonight will probably stand us quite a bit in the long run.

It was the first game that our younger players/backups really had their backs against the wall this season.

Some poor performances, but something to build on. Frawley really shored up the back field when he came on, Fardy of course giving Leocaster a massive headache for the 6N period by reminding us of how class he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tonight will probably stand us quite a bit in the long run.

It was the first game that our younger players/backups really had their backs against the wall this season.

Some poor performances, but something to build on. Frawley really shored up the back field when he came on, Fardy of course giving Leocaster a massive headache for the 6N period by reminding us of how class he is.
    Fardy has to play every game over the Six Nations period. He's simply a class above every forward we'll have available. He was our best forward last season and one of our best this season.

Your mistaking him with a different messiah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What deal is Tomane on does anyone know? 2 year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Two years for Tomane I think. He's fallen well behind Lowe and Larmour for places on the wing and Adam Byrne's fine form is a problem for him too. But I hope he gets a shot at Leinster. He's a quality player who was unfairly dismissed by a lot of "fans" because of a few poor performances early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

A few poor performances does have an effect though.
    Why sit other lads who can perform for a guy who looks lost?
    Seriously, Tomane has been poor, very poor. I wouldn't start him over lads who are performing better. When Ferg comes back, Tomane will probably slide further down the chart.
    He's not a good 12 and he's ok at 13. Just because he's capped by Oz doesn't mean too much anymore. Mr Bean could get capped by Oz these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

A few poor performances does have an effect though.
    Why sit other lads who can perform for a guy who looks lost?
    Seriously, Tomane has been poor, very poor. I wouldn't start him over lads who are performing better. When Ferg comes back, Tomane will probably slide further down the chart.
    He's not a good 12 and he's ok at 13. Just because he's capped by Oz doesn't mean too much anymore. Mr Bean could get capped by Oz these days.

I think the issue is that he's allowed to have a few weak defensive showings before integrating into the system but he was forced into big games like Toulouse before he was ready which made for some ugly tape.

And now I don't know if you can justify taking out a player to give him time to get up to speed.

He's not due back until after the six nations, is he? If everyone else is healthy, I can't see the merit of giving him game time in the crucial final weeks of the season for the sake of his personal development.

This season might already be a write off for him. I do think he can be a solid squad player. Nobody said he was going to be the next Isa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Think Tomane's grand but dunno if he's worth the valuable NIQ spot

Radrada finishes up in Bordeaux same time as Tomane finishes up here...yes please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Think Tomane's grand but dunno if he's worth the valuable NIQ spot

Radrada finishes up in Bordeaux same time as Tomane finishes up here...yes please :D

He has a Kolpak passport.

Remember how James Lowe started and people were saying he looked lost and wasn't performing well......

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Remember how James Lowe started and people were saying he looked lost and wasn't performing well......

People?

Nah it was just .ak .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He was "poison" and "below AIL standard" I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Think the word you’re looking for is “poison”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

People?

Nah it was just .ak .

And he was dead right.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Tomane will improve significantly too. He won't be as good as Lowe but should still be a useful signing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement