Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Have people completely lost the ability to filter what they read?

This place is an absolute sh1tshow not because of the stupid comments but because of people taking up arms against them.

You're the problem, not them.

It's been a full moon for the last week. It'll be calmer when that passes. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Let's get back to the original argument of whether Cloete and TOD at his best are/were better players. The All Blacks thing came up because someone used that to show Josh's pedigree but I said I question whether he can do it behind a retreating team.

The comparisons with McCaw are ridiculous. VDF is very good but I think from many Leinster and Irishfans overrated just like I think we overhype Ireland and Leinster teams.

Let's put an end to it here and hope Josh Bulks up a bit in the future and proves me wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (30)
    14. Dave Kearney (128)
    13. Garry Ringrose (57)
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (51)
    11. James Lowe (22)
    10. Johnny Sexton (155) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (104)
    1. Cian Healy (199)
    2. James Tracy (79)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (93)
    4. Scott Fardy (32)
    5. James Ryan (23)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (152)
    7. Josh van der Flier (68)
    8. Jack Conan (82)

16. Bryan Byrne (33)
    17. Peter Dooley (55)
    18. Michael Bent (113)
    19. Ross Molony (74)
    20. Max Deegan (30)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (4)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (7)
    23. Noel Reid (109)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Full strength.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Full strength.

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

elliot_st wrote: »
    Full strength.

Nope.

Other than full back and hooker and taking inuries into account, that's the full team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Full strength.

Leavy should be at 6, Rhys Ruddock has had a few poor performances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

troyzer wrote: »
    Other than full back and hooker and taking inuries into account, that's the full team.

Toner also, plus you'd expect Porter, Leavy and R Byrne on the bench

Not full strength but close enough

no its not.

Toner, Porter, Cronin, Leavy, Park, Ross Byrne, Rob Kearney, Adam Byrne.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    MOTM on his test debut (in Dublin). Before he'd even played Super Rugby.

I think VDF is a good player but I do think he is overrated by some Irish and Leinster fans. I'd take Leavy over him. However a certain poster here is so irritating that I am nearly compelled to argue that VDF is a hybrid of Jones, McCaw, Kronfeld, Smith and Pocock. And is already better than all of them.

Combined.

• Advertisement

Well the starting XV anyway. By full strength, I mean that there's no step down.

Toner might be ahead of Fardy but starting Fardy hardly means we're understrength. Same with Ruddock/Leavy.

There's a bit more of a drop off on the bench but all in all, there's not much out of place in the starting team other than Kearney and Cronin.

Well the starting XV anyway. By full strength, I mean that there's no step down.

Toner might be ahead of Fardy but starting Fardy hardly means we're understrength. Same with Ruddock/Leavy.

There's a bit more of a drop off on the bench but all in all, there's not much out of place in the starting team other than Kearney and Cronin.

Would you make any changes to the bench?

Would you make any changes to the bench?

A lot. It's a weak bench.

Porter, Cronin, Leavy and Toner would be much better.

But let's be honest, I don't think anyone was expecting that strong a XV. I'm shocked Sexton is playing. So I'll take a weak bench.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leavy should be at 6, Rhys Ruddock has had a few poor performances

A few? Two I can think off...

Leavy hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season in fairness. He hasn't had a good run of it due to injuries but if you look at the last game Ruddock and Porter were the ones leading the pack back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Surprised to see DK get the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Surprised to see DK get the start

He had a good game against Connacht and has been good pretty much anytime he's played, I'm just surprised he's actually fit two games in a row.

Adam Byrne probably wasn't considered given he'd played the last couple of games but he still has a lot of ground to make up if he's going to be considered for a full strength team.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Adam runs with a lot more power but Dave sets the ball back better.
    Does Adam cover any other positions?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

antietam1 wrote: »

While Byrne was the better of the two last week, I think DK's performance flew very much under the radar. Nearly every time he got the ball he made yards in absolutely zero space, while also buying time for the support to get to him.

He had a very good game on Saturday in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Byrne has played full back a couple of times but I don't think any of them have been at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Faugheen wrote: »
    antietam1 wrote: »

While Byrne was the better of the two last week, I think DK's performance flew very much under the radar. Nearly every time he got the ball he made yards in absolutely zero space, while also buying time for the support to get to him.

He had a very good game on Saturday in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Byrne has played full back a couple of times but I don't think any of them have been at senior level.
    Byrne also played outside centre on his Ireland debut.

Obviously it's not his best position, but he can theoretically play there in a major injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Surprisingly strong side.i think it's a missed opportunity for Porter to get a big start.
    Ruddock came on strong in the 2nd half last week, although he has looked sluggish recently.
    ROL is the one lad that needs a big game. He was poor last week and with Europe coming up, he needs to up his game.
    I assume Sexton will be rested next week. Frawley, if called into play, will be playing in the biggest match of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'm a big fan of VdF and think he has the potential to be one of Ireland's best 7s, but the McCaw comments are hilarious and completely over the top.

He's nowhere close to that level, he wouldn't even make a Lion's squad at the moment never mind being compared to one of the all time greats.

VdF doesn’t make a Lions squad at the moment? Bar Underhill I’d say he’s the form 7 in Britain & Ireland this season.

On another note, bar the Wales game in the 6n (where injury forced him to start) what’s the biggest game Porter has started? I know Furlong is a machine, but he seems to never start games.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

VdF doesn’t make a Lions squad at the moment? Bar Underhill I’d say he’s the form 7 in Britain & Ireland this season.

On another note, bar the Wales game in the 6n (where injury forced him to start) what’s the biggest game Porter has started? I know Furlong is a machine, but he seems to never start games.

Porter has scrummaging issues which are not fully resolved

Clegg wrote: »
    Byrne also played outside centre on his Ireland debut.

Obviously it's not his best position, but he can theoretically play there in a major injury crisis.

Byrne has never played for Ireland? Which Byrne are you talking about that has played outside Centre for Ireland ?

Byrne has never played for Ireland? Which Byrne are you talking about that has played outside Centre for Ireland ?

Adam Byrne has played for Ireland.

elliot_st wrote: »
    Adam Byrne has played for Ireland.

Has he? Against who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Has he? Against who?

Argentina.

Has he? Against who?

Argentina 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A14-AF230-2-BF4-42-CB-95-F2-04522-A58-BAD7.jpg

Please stop feeding trolls and more importantly please stop QUOTING them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Short but interesting article with Niall Morris

https://www.the42.ie/niall-morris-interview-december-2018-4377195-Dec2018/

Fairly ****e that he can't run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Having plenty of fun in the match thread. But being serious, Leinster's discipline has been appalling. We usually pride ourselves on conceding as few penalties as possible. And despite a few misgivings I have about the ref, ie not penalising Munster for things he did Leinster, we have nobody but ourselves to blame for most likely losing.

We let the occasion get to us in a way we didn't last season. I think the same thing happened against Toulouse. We look to be missing a calming influence on the pitch. We're playing to the occasion rather than the opposition. Munster haven't been anything special and if we kept our heads like in the first 10 minutes we could march up to their line. Very frustrating to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement