Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

thebaz wrote: »
    course it should , its professional rugby , not lower level junior rugby - and its a derby (just read some of the nasty petty comments - I wont go ther.

But why does it matter?
    He’s a professional referee who was in no way biased to the game?
    Mention it, but it didn’t have any actual baring in anything in the match.
    I thought he has a fine game, wasn’t helped by some players.
    (I’m not looking for a reaction either it’s a legitimate question)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

bennyl10 wrote: »

I believe you are - now good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

But why does it matter?
    He’s a professional referee who was in no way biased to the game?
    Mention it, but it didn’t have any actual baring in anything in the match.
    I thought he has a fine game, wasn’t helped by some players.

These are the two biggest games of the season in Pro14. They have one of the best ref's in the World assigned to the League. Would it not make sense when the Rugby world is watching they roll out their best ref?

Why even open the conversation? why even risk it. Pro14 just seem to continue to make stupid decision to show they are still fairly amature compared to the French/English leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

overall I dont think he managed the game well ; but I have a bigger issue with those that decided to put a munsterman in charge of a munster/leinster derby

Ok please give examples of what he got wrong in your opinion?

I thought he called the two penalties Carberry kicked either side of halftime wrong. He could have binned Murray for the high tackle. He could also just as easily and deservingly binned Fardy and Sexton. Overall I think he got most calls right and did very well in an ill tempered game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

surely a neutral refereeing a munster/leinster game would have eased the situation - very strange - sure, not all referees fault/ same not all Johnnys leadership fault - I like Johnnys leadership, grew up witnessing Munster bullying Leinster, so sometimes we needed a little bit of needle, and that has helped make us the competive team of today.
    Maybe a neutral referee could have eased the situation. Johnny Sextons leadership of team and for performance is fine but he isnt the best person to be captain and having to deal with the referee.
    Nobody has said that he or others shouldnt have needle/bit of bite brought to the game but having an attitude like JS had at times last night dealing with officials just brings needless hassle and attention on your side from officials
    overall I dont think he managed the game well ; but I have a bigger issue with those that decided to put a munsterman in charge of a munster/leinster derby
    Care to show where he didnt manage the game well? I dont think a munster man in charge of the game was an issue and the league organisers and referee management team wouldnt have put a referee in situation like that if they didnt see it as being good for the ref, players and the game itself.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Dont have issue with the ref last night but I think to stop any of the stuff they should have had a neutral. Last year it was Nigel so not sure why they couldn't have got in a similar ref. These two match's every season are the biggest fixtures in the league(outside playoffs). Thet get the biggest attendance and are known to be a bit feisty. So why not put the best ref out for it?

The rest of the season is reserve teams sent to Ireland to play Leinster/Munster so stick in whichever ref they want for those games.
    Who would you see as similar ref to Nigel? You need to spread officials around some games as well. Cant always have same refs doing the same few top games in the league.
    How is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bennyl10 wrote:
    He wasn’t in any way biased though? Like fair enough If he was given penalties for nothing, but he had no choice in what he pulled

The first half ran 20 minutes over because he wouldn't use his own judgement. Deferring to the TMO for every second decision undermined his authority; Sexton wasn't the only one exasperated with him.

Furlong was a yellow; Healy wasn't and Lowe was barely a penalty. All those decisions were swayed by the crowd.
    bennyl10 wrote:
    He was a professional in every sense last night and tired to get the game flow a little bit he had no choice in the end.
    He looked amateurish to me.
    bennyl10 wrote:
    Where’s he from shouldnt even be being mentioned. He was simply the referee.

Who was out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

First Up wrote: »
    The first half ran 20 minutes over because he wouldn't use his own judgement. Deferring to the TMO for every second decision undermined his authority; Sexton wasn't the only one exasperated with him.

Furlong was a yellow; Healy wasn't and Lowe was barely a penalty. All those decisions were swayed by the crowd.

Lowe barely a penalty? Sorry you're just completely wrong. Red all day and it's not even questionable.

First Up wrote: »
    bennyl10 wrote:
    He wasn’t in any way biased though? Like fair enough If he was given penalties for nothing, but he had no choice in what he pulled

bennyl10 wrote:
    He was a professional in every sense last night and tired to get the game flow a little bit he had no choice in the end.
    bennyl10 wrote:
    Where’s he from shouldnt even be being mentioned. He was simply the referee.

Healy wasn’t a yellow in itself but it was, due to a warning a repeated high tackles.

Lowe is red card, day in day out, in every single game. It’s the easiest red card the referee is ever gonna have to give.

Using a TMO for acts of foul play? Every ref does it.
    Most games don’t have that many incidents of possible foul play in 80 minutes, let alone in 40!

AdamD wrote:
    Lowe barely a penalty? Sorry you're just completely wrong. Red all day and it's not even questionable.

We'll see.

Then we won’t get anywhere.
    Fair enough

He gave the same decisions every other ref would have given

But it’s because he’s from cork.

• Advertisement

Care to show where he didnt manage the game well? I dont think a munster man in charge of the game was an issue and the league organisers and referee management team wouldnt have put a referee in situation like that if they didnt see it as being good for the ref, players and the game itself.

overall I think he refereed the first half poorly , seamed swayed a little on decisions by crowd, for second half he refereed ok . The sepifics have been outlined elsewhere.
    If you guys can't see the benefit of a neutral referee , so be it - lets have Irish referees for Ireland/England.

overall I think he refereed the first half poorly , seamed swayed a little on decisions by crowd, for second half he refereed ok . The sepifics have been outlined elsewhere.
    If you guys can't see the benefit of a neutral referee , so be it - lets have Irish referees for Ireland/England.

He made most of he is career for Connacht and Leicester
    He was as neutral as JP or Rolland are

He wasnt in any way biased in any call.

Specifics?
    Care to show specifics on where he was poor?
    Did he miss things. Yes because in any game with any official/team of officials things will be missed.
    The ref cant always be non irish for provincial derbies particularly around this time of year and there is only pro referees from Munster and Leinster apart from Dave Wilkinson.

The ref cant always be non irish for provincial derbies particularly around this time of year and there is only pro referees from Munster and Leinster apart from Dave Wilkinson.

for a sellout professional derby rugby game, you would think they could get a neutral ref ?

going round in circles, you guys think it is ok to have a home referee for such a big game , 20 years ago it might have been in the old amatreur days (even then I'm not so sure

for a sellout professional derby rugby game, you would think they could get a neutral ref ?

going round in circles, you guys think it is ok to have a home referee for such a big game, 20 years ago it might have been in the old amatreur days (even then I'm not so sure
    why skip the rest of the post?... :rolleyes:
    Not going around in circles at all. He didnt do anything wrong in the game to warrant any questions about suitability to be refereeing the game

why skip the rest of the post?... :rolleyes:
    Not going around in circles at all. He didnt do anything wrong in the game to warrant any questions about suitability to be refereeing the game

cause I dont want to spend another 24 hours arguing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

going round in circles, you guys think it is ok to have a home referee for such a big game , 20 years ago it might have been in the old amatreur days (even then I'm not so sure

Like Owens reffing Cardiff and Scarlets? This has always been the way at Christmas.

As for the suggestion he was swayed by the crowd, if that was the case Furlong would have got a red card.

I really can’t see how anyone can suggest any bias in how that game was reffed. It’s not based on anything that happened in the game, that’s why you or nobody else can point out any instances where it was.

cause I dont want to spend another 24 hours arguing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So cant find specifics in the game where he was poor then?
    What decisions did he get swayed by the crowd for example?

So cant find specifics in the game where he was poor then?
    What decisions did he get swayed by the crowd for example?

i made a generalisation that he refereed the first half poorly - Thats my interpretation - you disagree - I respect that - can you for once respect my opinion - thats all - its my opinion - no big deal

i made a generalisation that he refereed the first half poorly - Thats my interpretation - you disagree - I respect that - can you for once respect my opinion - thats all - its my opinion - no big deal
    Yes its your opinion but if your opinion is that the first half was reffed poorly then surely you can give examples of what was reffed poorly?
    Im not disrespecting you by asking that.

• Advertisement

Yes its your opinion but if your opinion is that the first half was reffed poorly then surely you can give examples of what was reffed poorly?

Specifics? Care to show specifics on where he was poor? Did he miss things. Yes because in any game with any official/team of officials things will be missed. The ref cant always be non irish for provincial derbies particularly around this time of year and there is only pro referees from Munster and Leinster apart from Dave Wilkinson.

A Cork ref doing a Munster home match; what could possibly go wrong.

It deserved a proper neutral ref like Owens or Barnes who doesn't have to explain himself to everyone he meets on the street for the next month.

But if it had to be from one of the competing provinces, fairness and balance dictates he should be from the visitors.

the Healy card seamed harsh -

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Can this not go to the match thread which is already a complete cluster**** without taking this thread down too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Really looking forward to Toulouse/Leinster match in RDS now. If only I had a Leinster jersey to wear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just looking at the fixtures list and we really have broken the leagues back

Ulster (h)
    Lanelli (h) (week before 6N)
    Zebre (a)
    Kings (h)
    Cheetahs (h)
    Edinburgh (a) (week after 6N)
    Treviso (h)
    Glasgow (h)
    Ulster (a)

16 pts ahead of second with 9 games left and 6 at home

CatFromHue wrote: »

Ulster (h)
    Zebre (a)
    Kings (h)
    Cheetahs (h)
    Treviso (h)
    Glasgow (h)
    Ulster (a)

Unless we implode completely we were always going to win the conference, regardless of yesterday’s result. Scarlets decline and Ulsters rebuilding had all but guaranteed that. The second half of the season is going to be all about balance and resting the internationals so they are fighting fit in May.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Ulster (h)
    Zebre (a)
    Kings (h)
    Cheetahs (h)
    Treviso (h)
    Glasgow (h)
    Ulster (a)

Time to win it with the kids

The senior lads made a real balls of it

stephen_n wrote: »
    Unless we implode completely we were always going to win the conference, regardless of yesterday’s result. Scarlets decline and Ulsters rebuilding had all but guaranteed that. The second half of the season is going to be all about balance and resting the internationals so they are fighting fit in May.

To be honest for majority of squad the second half of season is retaining the 6 nations..,.after Toulouse get a hammering

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    These are the two biggest games of the season in Pro14. They have one of the best ref's in the World assigned to the League. Would it not make sense when the Rugby world is watching they roll out their best ref?

No more than players, refs also need exposure to big games to become the best refs they can be. Simply assigning Nigel to ref all the big games doesn't help the league in the long run. In any case, he had a perfectly decent game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement