Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I believe the kid was called George Morgan, he’d be around 18 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Serbian wrote: »

He started 10 in junior cup in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Serbian wrote: »

He started 10 in junior cup in 2016

So he's not going to play professional rugby.

Ah well, just curious to know what happened to him.

He was just elected school captain according to the most recent newsletter, whatever that means.

It's not in the sport section. Do private schools just have captains?

So weird, you'd be glassed in my school for being "captain".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I'm going to assume all the mods are offline or something and as such not seeing what everyone else is

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I'm going to assume all the mods are offline or something and as such not seeing what everyone else is

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

aloooof wrote: »
    I really just meant this in jest (and I don't want to go over old ground) but is it that arbitrary? I'm trying to think of other similar cases and whether they resulted in a yellow or red. To me it seems like the Baloucoune incident is almost the exception that proves the rule?

Ashley Johnson on Dave Kearney
    Willie Le Roux on TOH

Both YC, both later got bans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

troyzer wrote: »
    What do you mean?

The deleted posts about a certain school I’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ashley Johnson on Dave Kearney
    Willie Le Roux on TOH

Both YC, both later got bans

Just coming back to this, I wonder if anyone saw the incident with Mike Brown from last weekend? Wasps scrum half near the sideline sent up a high box kick. Brown came to collect. Was under it and then took a few steps of a run up to launch himself and gather in the air. Josh Bassett was chasing for Wasps. He never got off the ground. Threw an arm up in the air and bundled sideways into the airborne Brown. Brown caught the ball but came down on his head.

It was a less dramatic, less high impact incident than Conway/Lowe but the outcome and particulars were very, very similar. Referee waved play on. No penalty, card or citing (that I am aware of) came of it. Brown came out this week in the media angrily commenting on the lack of protection afforded to him and asking where the response was from the referee who claimed he didn't see it (although it was replayed multiple times, the touch judge was a few metres away and a TMO was available).

I entirely endorse the red card and suspension for Lowe. But the continuing lack of consistency is ridiculous. With the availability of citations and a TMO, there is absolutely no reason for decisions not having some degree of consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Buer wrote:
    I entirely endorse the red card and suspension for Lowe. But the continuing lack of consistency is ridiculous. With the availability of citations and a TMO, there is absolutely no reason for decisions not having some degree of consistency.

Appointing referees who didn't play for one of the teams might be a good start.

The two week ban for Lowe was the minimum they could give without admitting the ref was wrong.

Lowe (and Leinster) should get brownie points for playing along and not pointing out that the offence he was actually charged with (tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp a player in the air) didn't happen.

They took one for the system.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First Up wrote: »

The two week ban for Lowe was the minimum they could give without admitting the ref was wrong.

Lowe (and Leinster) should get brownie points for playing along and not pointing out that the offence he was actually charged with (tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp a player in the air) didn't happen.

rubbish.

only ill-informed or ignorant spectators could argue that that red card was not warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bang, bang, bang, going to keep beating that drum no matter what.

You were wrong, just accept it and move on.

sydthebeat wrote:
    only ill-informed or ignorant spectators could argue that that red card was not warranted.

OK, so which of the actions specified in the rule did he make?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Indo says Cian Kelleher is coming back to Leinster on a 2 year deal. Good player, but wouldn't make our best 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    The Indo says Cian Kelleher is coming back to Leinster on a 2 year deal. Good player, but wouldn't make our best 23.

Would be a waste of a signing to be honest. He's shown some good stuff in attack, but his defence is still a weak point. Can't really see much of a gap between Byrne/Daly and himself that would be worth re-signing him. Unless it's a case that Connacht are talking about not renewing his contract and we're getting him cheap.

stephen_n wrote:
    You were wrong, just accept it and move on.

On the contrary, the two week ban shows that the red card was harsh and other refs (especially ones not affiliated to one of the teams) could take a different view - as per the example quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

OK, so which of the actions specified in the rule did he make?
    Lowe was subsequently cited under Law 9.17, which states that “a player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground.”

While I think it's probably a fruitless endeavour engaging with you, I do want to see your logic.

It's there in bold. Lowe clearly charges and/ or pushes Conway.

You don't have to like it. But there is a rule there. Lowe broke it. It's done and now we can move on until the papers bring it up at the next interpro :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

On the contrary, the two week ban shows that the red card was harsh and other refs (especially ones not affiliated to one of the teams) could take a different view - as per the example quoted.

Logic probably not your strong point there, fella.

Do you really think Murphy being an ex Munster player had anything to do with it?

You realise who you are referring to is a person and it's their reputation and integrity you're bringing into question.

Not only bringing it into question. You're questioning it based on a decision they got correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Do you really think Murphy being an ex Munster player had anything to do with it?

You realise who you are referring to is a person and it's their reputation and integrity you're bringing into question.

Not only bringing it into question. You're questioning it based on a decision they got correct :pac:

dont-feed-troll.jpg

• Advertisement

dont-feed-troll.jpg

While I think it's probably a fruitless endeavour engaging with you, I do want to see your logic.

Even trolls have logic. I merely want to see what it is :pac:

No, I think it was a mistake to put a Cork based, Munster affiliated and former Munster player in as referee into that situation. His first instinct was yellow but he succumbed to the pressure of the situation and the baying crowd.

I strongly suspect a "plea bargain" was agreed in advance of yesterday. Leinster looked at the options (Lowe probably not in the 23 for Toulouse anyway) and decided to play along.

No, I think it was a mistake to put a Cork based, Munster affiliated and former Munster player in as referee into that situation. His first instinct was yellow but he succumbed to the pressure of the situation and the baying crowd.

I strongly suspect a "plea bargain" was agreed in advance of yesterday. Leinster looked at the options (Lowe probably not in the 23 for Toulouse anyway) and decided to play along.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Jesus Christ, please stop engaging.

Anyway, Kelleher would be a very odd signing. I know we're slightly short in the back three at the moment but we've still managed to put out decent enough wingers in every game to date despite the multiple injuries.

Would anyone start Kelleher ahead of McFadden, Byrne, DK, Daly, Larmour or Lowe? I wouldn't. He's good going forward but his defence is very poor. His effort for the Ulster try last weekend was cartoonish. I don't think I've ever seen a player let a high ball land on their head before.

If it does happen to be a potential deal, then I can only imagine that we're losing someone from the above list. I don't think the move would make any sense from his own perspective either. He's getting game time in Connacht and has improved, in fairness. He's going to get far less in Leinster and that will see his development stagnate. It will be Fionn Carr all over again (with less tries).

I'll take that as a concession.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can only assume Barry Daly and/or Dave Kearney is leaving if Cian Kelleher returns. I doubt it's a case of Connacht moving on, he's been a regular this season and played 12 Pro14 games last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can only assume Barry Daly and/or Dave Kearney is leaving if Cian Kelleher returns. I doubt it's a case of Connacht moving on, he's been a regular this season and played 12 Pro14 games last season.

He wouldn't be leaving but there has to be a doubt over Dave Kearney's ability to continue. He's been permanently injured for about three years now. Likewise McFadden turns 33 in the summer and has had two bad hamstring injuries in the last seven months, plus Rob Kearney is only contracted until November. We could find ourselves very short in the back three next year.

Wouldn't be hugely enthused about Kelleher returning tbh, I don't think he's much more than squad depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'll take that as a concession.

You can take it any way you like but if you post on this topic again you will be banned. You've had a red card for trolling, that will be upgraded to a ban if you continue. Move on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He wouldn't be leaving but there has to be a doubt over Dave Kearney's ability to continue. He's been permanently injured for about three years now. Likewise McFadden turns 33 in the summer and has had two bad hamstring injuries in the last seven months, plus Rob Kearney is only contracted until November. We could find ourselves very short in the back three next year.

Wouldn't be hugely enthused about Kelleher returning tbh.
    The potential Kelleher signing could be about succession planning. Leinster have a few outside backs the wrong side of 30 and with poor injury records. Dave K is a bit younger but has major fitness issues too. Makes sense to get a younger player in who actually has some experience at pro level.

• Advertisement

If we are going to be down some depth on the wing come next season, I wonder would they consider giving either of the O'Brien's a run out there to get them some additional game time at senior level. I know Conor O'Brien has played there at AIL level and for Ireland at U20. Given his GAA background, we could have an interesting weapon there in a Horgan-esque type winger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement