Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, please stop engaging.

Anyway, Kelleher would be a very odd signing. I know we're slightly short in the back three at the moment but we've still managed to put out decent enough wingers in every game to date despite the multiple injuries.

Would anyone start Kelleher ahead of McFadden, Byrne, DK, Daly, Larmour or Lowe? I wouldn't. He's good going forward but his defence is very poor. His effort for the Ulster try last weekend was cartoonish. I don't think I've ever seen a player let a high ball land on their head before.

If it does happen to be a potential deal, then I can only imagine that we're losing someone from the above list. I don't think the move would make any sense from his own perspective either. He's getting game time in Connacht and has improved, in fairness. He's going to get far less in Leinster and that will see his development stagnate. It will be Fionn Carr all over again (with less tries).

Kelleher would be a very unusual signing and if true it means the door is being shown to at least one back 3 player.

Dave Kearney is out out of contract and 30 years old end of this season. He'd get a decent chuck in England I'd say.

While Ferg has shown last season some of the best form of his career. The irrefutable thing is he will be 33 next year and has problematic hamstrings. Might be a succession plan

I can only assume Barry Daly and/or Dave Kearney is leaving if Cian Kelleher returns. I doubt it's a case of Connacht moving on, he's been a regular this season and played 12 Pro14 games last season.

I think Daly could well find himself first choice next season. If I were Leo or Stuart he'd be one of the first names to keep

He's proven he can perform to European standard, has bags of pace and strength and is probably on absolute pennies

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Daly could well find himself first choice next season. If I were Leo or Stuart he'd be one of the first names to keep

He's proven he can perform to European standard, has bags of pace and strength and is probably on absolute pennies

He'll be in the mix but I would think the plan currently would be Larmour to 15 and Tomane on the wing. I assume we're working off the idea that RK moves on otherwise it's the same as this season.

The injury has really screwed him over. Hopefully he takes up where he left off and makes a big statement to be involved in the European games. Adam Byrne is starting to look a bit like his old self of late, though. It's a shame DK is injured again as he has looked sharp when he has played this season. His performance against Connacht completely flew under the radar. He was very combative and made big yards in contact. It was the typical DK performance, he barely put a foot wrong without doing anything eye catching.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Kelleher would be a very unusual signing and if true it means the door is being shown to at least one back 3 player.

Dave Kearney is out out of contract and 30 years old end of this season. He'd get a decent chuck in England I'd say.

While Ferg has shown last season some of the best form of his career. The irrefutable thing is he will be 33 next year and has problematic hamstrings. Might be a succession plan

I think it could be Rob on the way out, He mentioned in December that he doesn't know where he will be playing after the World Cup and he will be 33 in March. I think Leinster know they have Larmour moving forward and might be willing to part ways with Kearney as they have decent players coming through the academy as well as a number of squad players currently who can cover at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    If we are going to be down some depth on the wing come next season, I wonder would they consider giving either of the O'Brien's a run out there to get them some additional game time at senior level. I know Conor O'Brien has played there at AIL level and for Ireland at U20. Given his GAA background, we could have an interesting weapon there in a Horgan-esque type winger

Tommy O'Brien is a winger, played there for the U20s and was decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kind of a shame we aren't seeing more of Jack Kelly who had bags of potential.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Kind of a shame we aren't seeing more of Jack Kelly who had bags of potential.

If Rob moves on I think he and Michael Silvester get brought up from the Academy and bled in slowly.

jonok28 wrote: »
    If Rob moves on I think he and Michael Silvester get brought up from the Academy and bled in slowly.

Kelly's in his last year of the Academy, he only has a few months left so the decision would have to be made well before then.

Kelly's in his last year of the Academy, he only has a few months left so the decision would have to be made well before then.

I think the decision probably already has been made about a few expiring contracts future ( Sean O'Brien, Cian Healy and Rob Kearney), I also wouldn't be shocked if Jack Kelly went to Connacht or Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whilst Kelly hasn't set the world alight, I'd temper that with the fact that he went into the academy at 18 years old and only turned 21 in the autumn. There's still plenty of time for him to develop into a good, senior player. Given the amount of time afforded to him at A level, I hope the Leinster coaches have seen something worth hanging onto.

• Advertisement

Tommy O'Brien is a winger, played there for the U20s and was decent.

Tommy O'Brien has played on the wing but is mostly viewed as a centre. Very physical and combative and I think being eyed up as a 12

DwDy_NsX4AEG-e1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

DwDy_NsX4AEG-e1.jpg

Much weaker than I thought. Hope the starters aren't too disjointed next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's not a good team

Dowling set for debut.

Great to see Daly back. Hope he has a stormer.

Very very young team. While I am delighted that the young guys are getting a run, I thought for a sell out fixture they might put a few bigger names out.

Having said that, I can understand there are injuries and Toulouse coming to town

AdamD wrote: »
    That's not a good team

Yes it is.

DwDZ9UaXgAADHQO.jpg:large

Leinster team isn't the strongest, but I can't see us losing to that Ulster team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is Ross Byrne coming back from an injury or is he just falling behind Frawley?

Either way, that's a weak/inexperienced team that will need some big displays from the senior guys in it.

Luckily, Ulster are playing ball and have picked an ever weaker side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

DwDZ9UaXgAADHQO.jpg:large

Leinster team isn't the strongest, but I can't see us losing to that Ulster team.

Would be very impressed if we win this game but Ulster are favourites imo

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Either way, that's a weak/inexperienced team that will need some big displays from the senior guys in it.

Leo said last week that the plan was to replace Sexton specifically to give Frawley minutes, so I imagine it's the same here and they want to give him the opportunity to start. Maybe Byrne is carrying a knock too but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, Jimmy O'Brien seems well behind Conor O'Brien in the centre so he must be pretty worried about having his contract renewed.

• Advertisement

Would be very impressed if we win this game but Ulster are favourites imo

Ulster aren't close to being favourites, that's very much a completely second string Ulster side, and a lot weaker/less experienced than the Leinster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

durthacht wrote: »

Leo said last week that the plan was to replace Sexton specifically to give Frawley minutes, so I imagine it's the same here and they want to give him the opportunity to start. Maybe Byrne is carrying a knock too but I haven't seen it mentioned.

Also, Jimmy O'Brien seems well behind Conor O'Brien in the centre so he must be pretty worried about having his contract renewed.

This^

Everyone from Schmidt down wants to see Frawley given serious minutes at 10. It's been the most pleasant surprise of the season so far. He looks really, really sharp.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sometimes you’d almost wonder if there is communication between Ulster and Leinster during the week about how strong a team they are each going to select.

durthacht wrote: »

Jimmy already has his contract renewed apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Regardless of Frawley's obvious potential, Leinster really need a competent 3rd choice OH - in particular given that Sexton and to a lesser extent Byrne are involved in Irish setup. Good forward planning.

Sangre wrote: »
    Regardless of Frawley's obvious potential, Leinster really need a competent 3rd choice OH - in particular given that Sexton and to a lesser extent Byrne are involved in Irish setup. Good forward planning.

This is almost the perfect game for Frawley.

It's a sold out RDS and an interpro. But against a weakened opposition so he can still thrive.

I've been very impressed with Frawley this season so far. He seems a very confidant young man with a very impressive skill set

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

awec wrote: »
    Sometimes you’d almost wonder if there is communication between Ulster and Leinster during the week about how strong a team they are each going to select.

Was just thinking this. If either team put out near full strength teams against the starting XV that they are facing, the game would be theirs for the taking.

I guess the flipside is that it 'should' be competitve.

Strange seeing only one of the Kolpak three. Also happy to see Frawley get game time. With the 6N coming up, Byrne could get a call up to the squad on form so Frawley needs that exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's not a strong Ulster side at all. Neither is the Leinster one, but with home advantage we should win.

I would've preferred a stronger Leinster side named. I don't think we've played well when all the senior players have come back in after a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Frawley has a serious boot on him. His kicks seem to be very powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ulster aren't close to being favourites, that's very much a completely second string Ulster side, and a lot weaker/less experienced than the Leinster side.

Leinster gone from - 18 to - 23 after teams named

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement