Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bent has started a rake of games this year. He'd be second choice at every other province.

On a value-for-money basis, one of our best ever signings.

100%, I'm amazed he's happy with being a high quality third choice.

He'd be getting time in Europe with any other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Raid Connacht? ;)

What are the academy options?

Jack Aungier is the only TH in the academy at the moment. We've actually only one LH (Milne) too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

Jack Aungier is the only TH in the academy at the moment. We've actually only one LH (Milne) too.

no need for more given 4 senior looseheads and tightheads on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon we'll see more of Dowling, once the conference is wrapped up.
    With Fardy's status uncertain, the other options will need to be looked at.
    I hope Fardy is retained for another year and it should not be a problem since Munster were allowed to sign a 9, while having 4 on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dubinusa wrote: »
    since Munster were allowed to sign a 9, while having 4 on the books.

And were gifted Carbery with 4 other out-halfs there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I reckon we'll see more of Dowling, once the conference is wrapped up.
    With Fardy's status uncertain, the other options will need to be looked at.
    I hope Fardy is retained for another year and it should not be a problem since Munster were allowed to sign a 9, while having 4 on the books.

If he isn't retained, we're in for a very interesting few months in the market with him departing and JGP becoming IQ. With the RWC cycle coming to an end, there will be a plenty of players looking for a move to a side like Leinster.

It will be interesting to see what sort of player we sign (or are allowed to) given that we have Irish internationals in pretty much every position on the field. I can see us seeking out a hooker with Cronin being 33 and neither Tracy nor Byrne looking like top quality options in the long term.

Whilst it would be odd if Fardy was to depart and we looked for another lock, I wouldn't rule it out either on the basis that it was a project signing such as a young SA in the same mould as Roux when we brought him in.

The other likely position would be another back three player. With Kearney suggesting he might move on, McFadden nearing retirement and Reid rumoured to be in talks with Leicester, we'll be very bare in the backs when the test players are unavailable.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    And were gifted Carbery with 4 other out-halfs there too

Aside from the whole game time at 10 situation, the IRFU are going to far more accommodating if they think a signing is the difference between a province being a good side and real contenders. Guys like Carbery and Mathewson are guys who are game changers for Munster. They make the team significantly stronger and will bring the team and other players along. That's without mentioning the added revenue that would be generated from Munster being successful.

Unfortunately for Leinster, they've already demonstrated that they can manage quite well without Fardy given they've left him out of their European games this season. Aside from the argument that it's a RWC year and we'll be stretched, I don't see the IRFU agreeing for us to retain a 35 year old NIE lock when we have several Irish options in the squad. In fact, with Dowling (who has mostly played at flanker for the A team) coming on at lock last night, I wouldn't be surprised if Cullen is already preparing for life without.

Cullen would be foolish to not prepare for life without him, although it's encouraging his name hasn't came up in any rumours so far.

lots of contract news to come hopefully positive from a Leinster point of view.

at least 3 senior players are already gone for next season in Nagle, McCarthy and Daly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Speaking of contracts, the likes of VDF, Leavy, Ryan, Furlong, McGrath, Porter, Larmour etc must be on fairly tame contracts compared to their current status. It will be interesting to see how renewal of all these contracts is handled when they come around, because there is a chance that a serious chunk of cash will end up being sunk into one province.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    The other likely position would be another back three player. With Kearney suggesting he might move on, McFadden nearing retirement and Reid rumoured to be in talks with Leicester, we'll be very bare in the backs when the test players are unavailable.

Indo rumour last week about Cian Kelleher coming back

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Speaking of contracts, the likes of VDF, Leavy, Ryan, Furlong, McGrath, Porter, Larmour etc must be on fairly tame contracts compared to their current status. It will be interesting to see how renewal of all these contracts is handled when they come around, because there is a chance that a serious chunk of cash will end up being sunk into one province.

McGrath and Furlong are on big money and only recently resigned.

Porter and VDF are only on the first year of their most recent contract.

Ryan signed his senior contract two years ago so I imagine he might be due an extension soon. He'll probably go straight on a central contract. Lock him down.

Not sure what the craic is with Leavy, think he signed a contract two years ago so probably also due a pay day.

I would think that Furlong is already on the central pay train. Luke McGrath will get a bump but will be on a Leinster contract. Jack is already on a central, I'd be certain.

Some of the above are going to have to take significantly lower than they'd get elsewhere whether they're on a Leinster or central deal. But the IRFU will happily point to Marty Moore who chased the money to the detriment of his career. Larmour and Porter will be lowballed. They've played very little rugby in their careers and the IRFU aren't going to be cracking open the wallet.

The one exception there is James Ryan. I can see him getting a very handsome contract well beyond what other Irish players of his experience and international involvement get. He's going to be treated in the same manner guys like BOD, POC, Heaslip were when it comes to negotiations i.e. they'll make sure it makes complete sense for him to stay.

James Ryan will get a similar style deal to what Itoje got. The IRFU will do whatever they can to keep him.

I can't see Porter getting a bumper contract, he's firmly second choice at his province and at international level. They won't be overstretching for him at all.

I think regardless of his performances and medals, Porter will struggle to get big money from the IRFU/Leinster simply because he doesn't play enough rugby. He barely starts a game even when Furlong isn't about. Last night was his second start for Leinster this season which seems crazy.

I do think he's going to end up on a very big money deal in a couple of years though whether it's in Ireland or elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah Furlong is on a central contract, Jack McGrath is not but must be on a big wage anyway. All the others will definitely be looking for big bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Do the IRFU care one iota about how centralised funds are dispersed between provinces?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Do the IRFU care one iota about how centralised funds are dispersed between provinces?
    I would imagine they would want to avoid one province eating up all the budget.

Though mainly I think they'd want value for money, which means getting appearances from their big money players.

Neil3030 wrote: »

In a way yeah I would imagine it'd be something taken into consideration, but the whole point of centralised contracts is to try lock down key players to the Irish team. It's not so much a supplementary budget for the provinces to draw from with approval, but more so doing it in their own interests for the national team.

In a way yeah I would imagine it'd be something taken into consideration, but the whole point of centralised contracts is to try lock down key players to the Irish team. It's not so much a supplementary budget for the provinces to draw from with approval, but more so doing it in their own interests for the national team.
    I'm not really talking about central deal players, more the guys who Leinster pay from "their" budget.

They seem to have really cut down on the central deals. From a Leinster POV, I expect Ryan to be the only person to get one. Even Ringrose didn't get one when he renewed this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ringrose not getting one is a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Was Payne still centrally contracted when Ringrose re signed?

Well jaysus, I stand corrected.

Having this framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was always under the impression that Leinster were ok on funds, but just never really needed it. Either the bulk of homegrown lads weren't requiring top scale wages, or IRFU restrictions blocked moves for expensive foreign players.

case885 wrote: »
    Was Payne still centrally contracted when Ringrose re signed?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How many of the 115 are starts?

64 starts so 56% of his appearances.

Little birdy told me Sexton is out for the weekend.

and so it begins.

I sincerely hope you're wrong. Toulouse are on fire lately and there are already too many key backs unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My underdog senses are tingling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

elliot_st wrote: »
    Cullen would be foolish to not prepare for life without him, although it's encouraging his name hasn't came up in any rumours so far.

lots of contract news to come hopefully positive from a Leinster point of view.

at least 3 senior players are already gone for next season in Nagle, McCarthy and Daly.

You're assuming the Academy players at lock are up to the grade. What if they don't hit European standard in the next 2/3 seasons? Then we are left threadbare in that area with noone to cover when Ryan and Toner are off with Ireland duty.

To say Cullen should prepare for life without Fardy is only acceptable if the incumbents are good enough to fill in - otherwise he should look to replace Fardy withh another high class lock from abroad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement