Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

That article originally said that the move was confirmed by the player, but they seem to have updated it to say that Connacht have confirmed it. As of writing this message there has been no official confirmation from Connacht that Kelleher is moving. I'm not saying that it's not happening but I'd imagine that Connacht/Leinster will confirm the move via one of their official channels before telling the algorithm RTE uses to auto generate articles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Re-signing Kelleher is a good move for Leinster. It further lowers the age profile of the back 3 which is necessary. The Kearney's and McFadden are great players but getting on a bit now and are very injury prone.

He's also quite experienced in comparison to our younger academy backs. We'll need that experience if we have a few departures in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just on Tomane, if you look at his and Lowes first couple months, you get the feeling that the Leinster isn't one that you can just slot a player outside of our ecosystem in and watch them flourish straight away.

I certainly wouldn't be writing him off until he has a decent preseason behind him and some more time learning the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conor O'Brien has been added to Leinster's European Cup squad and Tomane de-registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

b.gud wrote: »
    That article originally said that the move was confirmed by the player, but they seem to have updated it to say that Connacht have confirmed it. As of writing this message there has been no official confirmation from Connacht that Kelleher is moving. I'm not saying that it's not happening but I'd imagine that Connacht/Leinster will confirm the move via one of their official channels before telling the algorithm RTE uses to auto generate articles

Well, it's probably more likely that someone in RTE rang up, asked for comment and had the news confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Well, it's probably more likely that someone in RTE rang up, asked for comment and had the news confirmed.

I doubt they'd confirm it to RTE before they announce it.

b.gud wrote: »
    I doubt they'd confirm it to RTE before they announce it.

I doubt RTE would lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

https://www.the42.ie/cian-kelleher-leinster-4428694-Jan2019/
    Connacht have confirmed to The42 that they will lose the services of the 24-year-old winger at the end of the current campaign, in news first reported by The Irish Independent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 BorkLaser93

Kelleher is a terrible defender. Has been at fault for at least one try conceded every time I've watched him for Connacht, not great under a high ball and isn't blessed with blistering speed either. His strike-rate is average enough aswell for a team that like moving the ball and have an excellent centre pairing. He won't start big European games for Leinster whereas he'd be playing in them for Connacht if they qualify. Bizarre move imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whatever about the other things, Kelleher has a very good strike rate and is quite quick but, more importantly, is elusive and agile with the ball in hand. For context, he has a better strike rate for Connacht than someone like Adam Byrne does for Leinster who plays for the best team in the league and has capped players around him even when the first choice guys are away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 BorkLaser93

Buer wrote: »
    Whatever about the other things, Kelleher has a very good strike rate and is quite quick but, more importantly, is elusive and agile with the ball in hand. For context, he has a better strike rate for Connacht than someone like Adam Byrne does for Leinster who plays for the best team in the league and has capped players around him even when the first choice guys are away.
    For what it's worth...I don't rate Byrne either. Both fellas are absolute turnstiles in defence. When operating for the European champions that isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Are we looking at Fionn Carr part 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For what it's worth...I don't rate Byrne either. Both fellas are absolute turnstiles in defence. When operating for the European champions that isn't good enough.

You can't have test level players in every spot in your squad. It's not feasible. Guys like Byrne aren't top class but they're capable and can fill in when others are away or injured as he has done on multiple occasions. He's never going to be a regular member of the Irish squad or possibly even the first choice Leinster team but, as far as 4th choice wingers or thereabouts go, you're not going to find better.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Kelleher is a terrible defender. Has been at fault for at least one try conceded every time I've watched him for Connacht, not great under a high ball and isn't blessed with blistering speed either. His strike-rate is average enough aswell for a team that like moving the ball and have an excellent centre pairing. He won't start big European games for Leinster whereas he'd be playing in them for Connacht if they qualify. Bizarre move imo.

I'm surprised he's been taken back also. I guess they see his move as him having initiative to move and get gametime elsewhere to improve his development. The question begs does he have the raw materials to be first choice for Leinster as you alluded his defence and attack are both middling to bad.

I personally don't see him as the answer to Leinsters problems and certainly don't se him getting European action but he could be a filler for international windows. Do you see any of the Academy being good enough to make the next step up in the wing/FB position?

Byrne had one bad outing in defence in a semi against the Scarlett's where he let stef Evans run a mock. He has had a bad reputation for defending ever since even though it was one game. What is your solution to the wing/FB issue if Kearney does decide to leave after the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Heymans wrote: »
    I'm surprised he's been taken back also. I guess they see his move as him having initiative to move and get gametime elsewhere to improve his development. The question begs does he have the raw materials to be first choice for Leinster as you alluded his defence and attack are both middling to bad.

I personally don't see him as the answer to Leinsters problems and certainly don't se him getting European action but he could be a filler for international windows. Do you see any of the Academy being good enough to make the next step up in the wing/FB position?

Of course he isn't the answer, he is a squad player, they probably noticed they left themselves thin depth wise during the November series and probably just wanted to add a player who can cover whilst the Internationals are away. He is a low risk high reward signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can anyone who regularly watches Connacht confirm that hes actually crap in the air or are we just going off his howler vs Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AdamD wrote: »
    Can anyone who regularly watches Connacht confirm that hes actually crap in the air or are we just going off his howler vs Ulster?

I seem to remember a few other mistakes, I think he's just not that confident in the air but that's a work-on. Think he was unlucky against Ulster, I think the ball was in the glare of the floodlight as it came towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

AdamD wrote: »

He did nearly the exact same against Sale.
    Let the ball hit his head and conceded a try.

His tackling has improved this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m fairly meh about Kelleher he’s just a squad player but what I will say is maybe coming back to a better team and coaching could kick him onwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Byrne had one bad outing in defence in a semi against the Scarlett's where he let stef Evans run a mock. He has had a bad reputation for defending ever since even though it was one game. What is your solution to the wing/FB issue if Kearney does decide to leave after the World Cup?

Ah Byrne was consistently poor defensively, especially with his positioning. There were games where fellow players had to point him into position as he was in danger of causing simple overlaps.

Not sure how he's been going since he got a recent run, haven't seen much of Leinster but it seems like he's improved a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

leakyboots wrote: »

Ah Byrne was consistently poor defensively, especially with his positioning. There were games where fellow players had to point him into position as he was in danger of causing simple overlaps.

Not sure how he's been going since he got a recent run, haven't seen much of Leinster but it seems like he's improved a bit?

He definitely has, he's seemed to finally have copped onto the fact that he's absolutely enormous and he shouldn't be afraid of hitting wingers that are 10kg lighter than him.

He's built like an openside and up until recently he winced his way into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I still think Adam Byrne stands around the breakdown a bit, not knowing what to do. He could either be looking to get hands on the ball quick, clearing out with his bulk, or making himself available to take a pass, but ends up standing pillar...

His tackling and presence and string running have definitely improved though.

MattD wrote: »
    I still think Adam Byrne stands around the breakdown a bit, not knowing what to do. He could either be looking to get hands on the ball quick, clearing out with his bulk, or making himself available to take a pass, but ends up standing pillar...

His tackling and presence and string running have definitely improved though.

He's never going to be a starter for Ireland but if he has a strong all around game with his only flaw being his passive nature at the breakdown I could probably live with that.

I imagine he'll look to start somewhere else though.

troyzer wrote: »
    He definitely has, he's seemed to finally have copped onto the fact that he's absolutely enormous and he shouldn't be afraid of hitting wingers that are 10kg lighter than him.

He's built like an openside and up until recently he winced his way into contact.

I'd say that's unfair to say he winced into contact. He certainly goes full tilt into 50-50 balls in the air and his tackling and ruck hitting has improved. I wouldn't say he's the type of player who relishes contact but I don't agree with people who would say he winces at it!

troyzer wrote: »

I'd say that's unfair to say he winced into contact. He certainly goes full tilt into 50-50 balls in the air and his tackling and ruck hitting has improved. I wouldn't say he's the type of player who relishes contact but I don't agree with people who would say he winces at it!

Agree on his high ball competing. Which is why it was so bizarre that he'd often look like the smaller man going into contact with much lighter players.

It's just a confidence issue and I think it's successfully been coached out of him for the most part.

The jury is very much out on Byrne.

He was an absolute liability in defence, both in positioning and technique. He looks to have improved but needs to show it in more big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The jury is very much out on Byrne.

He was an absolute liability in defence, both in positioning and technique. He looks to have improved but needs to show it in more big games.

Kolbe would be a serious test of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

When in Joe Tomane back from injury?

• Advertisement

When in Joe Tomane back from injury?

April I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement