Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

In ideal circumstances the Larmour, Lowe, Kearney back three would get plenty of game time. It's a mix of solidity at the back with huge counterattacking threat out wide. But you're right that there are plenty of options.

If Adam Byrne can regain the form that got him capped for Ireland we'll be in a much better position. Hes a huge aerial threat and has the speed and strength to break the defensive line frequently. Barry Daly is an excellent finisher also. I'm not holding out much hope for Dave Kearney however. He's fallen too far behind younger options.

I'd like to see Tomane get a go as well obviously. Multiple caps for Oz on the wing. But preseason matches would suggest he's being used as a 12. Probably get the Fardy treatment where he'll switch positions when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd like to see Tomane get a go as well obviously. Multiple caps for Oz on the wing. But preseason matches would suggest he's being used as a 12. Probably get the Fardy treatment where he'll switch positions when necessary.

Tomane's position will likely depend on our situation at 10 and if Daly can stay fit this season.

With Sexton/Byrne potentially involved with the international setup, we're going to be short at 10 unless young Byrne miraculously steps up, we could be looking at Reid for backup 10.

Tomane will end the season with appearances at 11, 12, 13 and 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In ideal circumstances the Larmour, Lowe, Kearney back three would get plenty of game time. It's a mix of solidity at the back with huge counterattacking threat out wide. But you're right that there are plenty of options.

If Adam Byrne can regain the form that got him capped for Ireland we'll be in a much better position. Hes a huge aerial threat and has the speed and strength to break the defensive line frequently. Barry Daly is an excellent finisher also. I'm not holding out much hope for Dave Kearney however. He's fallen too far behind younger options.

I have high hopes Dave Kearney comes back this season, its based on nothing and probably because I like him as a player.....its a pity he has fallen off due to injury

A certain boardsie spotted @ 38s into this video...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Tomane's position will likely depend on our situation at 10 and if Daly can stay fit this season.

With Sexton/Byrne potentially involved with the international setup, we're going to be short at 10 unless young Byrne miraculously steps up, we could be looking at Reid for backup 10.

Reid as backup 10, he will be our starting 10 for at least the first 3 games, with Frawley our for the next four weeks. We will possibly only have Byrne/Sexton for a month to 6 weeks after that. Hopefully Frawley gets fit and stays fit in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

stephen_n wrote: »
    Reid as backup 10, he will be our starting 10 for at least the first 3 games, with Frawley our for the next four weeks. We will possibly only have Byrne/Sexton for a month to 6 weeks after that. Hopefully Frawley gets fit and stays fit in the interim.

I’d say that Byrne will be available to start in the first few games. He didn’t play at all in Australia and iirc a number of internationals who had been on the USA/Japan tour last year were available for the first game season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Kevski wrote: »
    I’d say that Byrne will be available to start in the first few games. He didn’t play at all in Australia and iirc a number of internationals who had been on the USA/Japan tour last year were available for the first game season.

You'd really hope so. Like, if they moved Carbery out to give him game time, it would be mad to then deny Byrne game time for very little reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

A certain boardsie spotted @ 38s into this video...

Former Former sports a sort of mullet, huh?!

Kevski wrote: »

Hopefully that’s the case then this season. Would be a lot more confident having Byrne there for the opening games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Heineken Cup selection is really first choice selection and for that I'd like to see Tomane Larmour and Lowe sarting in the back 3. Rob gives us solidity but I think he'll face a real challenge from Larmour for selection this season with more of a counter attacking threat from the back. Below that Daly McFadden and DK would be my selections to be rotated for Pro14 games although I think DK has a lot of playing to do to prove himself against some of the younger players who might get a few runs this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »
    Heineken Cup selection is really first choice selection and for that I'd like to see Tomane Larmour and Lowe sarting in the back 3. Rob gives us solidity but I think he'll face a real challenge from Larmour for selection this season with more of a counter attacking threat from the back. Below that Daly McFadden and DK would be my selections to be rotated for Pro14 games although I think DK has a lot of playing to do to prove himself against some of the younger players who might get a few runs this season.

Schmidt adores Kearney, he's not going to be happy letting him rust on a bench. It doesn't make sense for the Ireland 15 to be in a situation like that.

There is simply no way that Larmour is going to overtake Kearney this year, not going to happen. The only way Kearney isn’t our starting 15 for major games will be if he’s injured. He’s as nailed on as Sexton.

That may be the case in terms of keeping Kearney playing in a world Cup year but I think Larmour is the longer term replacement of Kearney when the time comes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run out there this year as well as Lowe but we have to start planning for the future and testing these players in a potentially problem position is the best way of having backup if any injuries do arise.

What interests me most is who is going to be preferred on the wings between Tomane Lowe and Larmour.

Heymans wrote: »
    That may be the case in terms of keeping Kearney playing in a world Cup year but I think Larmour is the longer term replacement of Kearney when the time comes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run out there this year as well as Lowe but we have to start planning for the future and testing these players in a potentially problem position is the best way of having backup if any injuries do arise.

The future can wait. The world cup is the priority and Kearney will be wearing 15. The squad is pretty much locked in. He'd be 34 starting the Six Nations after the world cup so there's every chance this world cup will be the last time we see him in green.

In any case, he'll be managed well to make sure he's fit but there's no question of him losing the starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say the likes of Kearney/Sexton could well be in single digits for Pro 14 appearances, so still a question about who starts there for a few games.

Most people care about Europe though, and they'll be playing there I'm sure.

troyzer wrote: »
    The future can wait. The world cup is the priority and Kearney will be wearing 15. The squad is pretty much locked in. He'd be 34 starting the Six Nations after the world cup so there's every chance this world cup will be the last time we see him in green.

In any case, he'll be managed well to make sure he's fit but there's no question of him losing the starting spot.

Joe will probably stick with Kearney but I think we as fans should be looking for the best lineup and Kearney isn't that. Solid - yes but offers nothing going forward.

Funnily enough I think Tomane will be the super sub on the bench for Heineken matches but would like to see him utulised on the wing when he does come on.

Heineken Cup and Grand Slam winning Rob Kearney isn't in Leinster's best line up.

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We actually managed a fairly impressive amount of time before the same old Kearney silliness returned this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We actually managed a fairly impressive amount of time before the same old Kearney silliness returned this time!

I nearly bit.

I really did :pac:

• Advertisement

Over the years we've had too many people making serious posts about dropping Kearney.

Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Over the years we've had too many people making serious posts about dropping Kearney.

Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.

The boy who cried Kearney

Oh man this season can’t start quick enough :o

I understood the calls for replacing Kearney with Payne. But not for markedly inferior players like ToH or Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hardly call Zebo markedly inferior to Payne..

We've been talking a lot about damaging it would be for Murray or Sexton to go down in the world cup but we'd be fairly shafted if Kearney went as well.

ROG is better than Sexton

ROG is better than Sexton

Get back to Munster. We'll have Carbery back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

The irony of a user named Heymans complaining about a fullback being dependable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Who would we expect to see see against Cardiff next week? I’d guess something like

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Tracy
    3. Bent
    4. Fardy
    5. Molony
    6. Ruddock
    7. Murphy
    8. Deegan
    9. McGrath
    10. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Tomane