Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They shouldn't have put the hat and glasses on him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Synode wrote: »

That's the whole point, De Valera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Synode wrote: »

Yeah....

Don't think he got it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

So Leinster could end up facing Ulster in the quarter final and Munster in the semi final, interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

mystic86 wrote: »
    So Leinster could end up facing Ulster in the quarter final and Munster in the semi final, interesting!

Munster are likely to be QF4. Will play winner of QF1 in SF.

Leinster won't be in QF1 barring a few shocks next weekend

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Not according to the epc website:

"The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
    Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4"

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Not according to the epc website:

"The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4"

What happened to seeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

troyzer wrote: »

Seeding determines home advantage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seeding went with rejiging the competition didn't it?

Seeding went with rejiging the competition didn't it?

No. The whole point is if you're a top two seed, you get home field advantage throughout.

I would have thought that they'd keep the seeds after the quarter final as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Arent they still in different brackets? Unless I'm missing something .
    Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
    Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
    Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
    Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

Eod100 wrote: »
    Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
    Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
    Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
    Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

That's completely unjust though.

It leads to a scenario where the top seed could play 4th in the semi whereas the 3rd seed could play 7th.

How is that even remotely fair?

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They should just do a draw for the semis to be honest, with home advantage decided by the seedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It leads to a scenario where the top seed could play 4th in the semi whereas the 3rd seed could play 7th.

Not all pools are created equally. Seeding is not the magical silver bullet and it shouldn’t be over-rewarded.

awec wrote: »
    They should just do a draw for the semis to be honest, with home advantage decided by the seedings.

Or just reseed every round.

There's no perfect way of doing it but creating a situation where the top seed in the competition can get the tougher team in the semi hardly seems fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I know that but the slogan would have been enough. You can barely even tell its Toner with them

There's no perfect way of doing it but creating a situation where the top seed in the competition can get the tougher team in the semi hardly seems fair.
    The seeding is based on pool performance, so being top seed is influenced a lot by the luck of the draw.

Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
    Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
    Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
    Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

Yes, but Saracens and Racing both likely to finish higher than Leinster

The seeding is based on pool performance, so being top seed is influenced a lot by the luck of the draw.

Right, but you can still only beat what's in front of you.

I dunno, seems like there's still a bit of tweaking that can be done.

That's my understanding of the rules. Whether it's fair is probably another debate but think 1st already gets advantage of playing 8th at home in qf, and will get home semi.

• Advertisement

They should trial a model where the quarter finals are also a draw, with the top 4 teams being seeded so they can't draw each other and are guaranteed a home game.

Then another draw for the semi final.

It seems fairer, and would resolve some of the inequalities you have from the pools.

The downside being that there's no difference between being 1st seed or 4th seed, or 5th or 8th so I guess the argument might be it causes some dead rubber games in the final weekend of pool games.

They should trial a model where the quarter finals are also a draw, with the top 4 teams being seeded so they can't draw each other and are guaranteed a home game.

Then another draw for the semi final.

It seems fairer, and would resolve some of the inequalities you have from the pools.

The downside being that there's no difference between being 1st seed or 4th seed, or 5th or 8th so I guess the argument might be it causes some dead rubber games in the final weekend of pool games.

The NFL has a tie breaker based on strength of schedule where it takes into account the records of the teams you played against.

I wonder if that could work.

The NFL has a tie breaker based on strength of schedule where it takes into account the records of the teams you played against.

I think the Champions Cup has enough head wrecking permutations with the bonus point system that any more variables like this would just cause mass confusion.

I think the Champions Cup has enough head wrecking permutations with the bonus point system that any more variables like this would just cause mass confusion.

Yeah maybe. There are no bonus points or anything like that in the NFL as well so it's much simpler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not really. You play 13 different teams in the NFL and they all play 13 different teams as well. The strength of schedule makes some sense there, but in a round robin group it doesn't really apply.

Yes, but Saracens and Racing both likely to finish higher than Leinster

Yeah Leinster likely 2nd or 3rd. Munster 4th or 5th. Either way not paired together in semi

Yeah Leinster likely 2nd or 3rd. Munster 4th or 5th. Either way not paired together in semi

Sorry. I read the order of the QFs wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

If Tallaght Stadium is increased to 10,000 odd capacity and Dalymount Park gets renovated do you think there is any merit in having games played there?

If Tallaght Stadium is increased to 10,000 odd capacity and Dalymount Park gets renovated do you think there is any merit in having games played there?

Not really.

And I say that as someone who could cycle to Tallaght stadium from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Might be nice to move Leinster A out of Donnybrook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement