Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

If Tallaght Stadium is increased to 10,000 odd capacity and Dalymount Park gets renovated do you think there is any merit in having games played there?
    Not really. Still too small.
    Might be nice to move Leinster A out of Donnybrook.
    Would be very good to move A side out of Donnybrook but would be better to see A sides playing more in provincial venues. Bring Leinster across province

• Registered Users Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Might be nice to move Leinster A out of Donnybrook.

Given the money spent redeveloping Donnybrook only ten years ago, they won't move the As out of there. Also its ten minutes from Leinster HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I would suspect that part of the naming rights for Donnybrook will include guaranteed games for the leinster As

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

Would be very good to move A side out of Donnybrook but would be better to see A sides playing more in provincial venues. Bring Leinster across province

Last season Leinsters lowest attendance was 10,000. I presume that was against Zebre or Kings. Could they not have those games in Tallaght Stadium.

What are the other stadiums in Leinster that could be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Last season Leinsters lowest attendance was 10,000. I presume that was against Zebre or Kings. Could they not have those games in Tallaght Stadium.

Well first you'd have to explain the value in paying the FAI to hire their stadium for a single game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't think you could even fit half of Leinster season ticket holders' in Tallaght stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

We have more than 10,000 season ticket holders alone. It’s impossible for Leinster to play in a stadium that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

troyzer wrote: »
    Well first you'd have to explain the value in paying the FAI to hire their stadium for a single game.

The FAI wouldn't be paid anything. Only stadiums they have stakes in are Lansdowne Road and Drogheda.

Stadiums probably too small, with a 4th stand it's just over 10,000, fill in the corners and you've maybe got just over 12,000. Unless you maybe took some of the weaker teams out of the season ticket package and moved those games there, then if you sold out at 12,000 to 13,000 you might see some profitability in it but it's a lot of ifs.

I don't think you could even fit half of Leinster season ticket holders' in Tallaght stadium

Well you could quite easily the RDS isn't that big.

D14Rugby wrote: »

There are 13,000 season ticket holders.

Tallaght's listed capacity is less than half of that. Even if you shoehorn in a few extra temporary stands you probably still wouldn't get there. You certainly wouldn't be able to get it to a point where you could start selling extra tickets.

• Advertisement

Gerry Thornley is reporting that McGrath has done a knee ligament.

That could be curtains for his season. Really unfortunate, he's probably not going to make the plane to Japan now.

The RDS is 3x bigger than Tallaght Stadium at least.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1030387544725352450

And from the Tallaght Stadium wiki page:
    Temporary seating has been constructed at the stadium three times—once for a club friendly against Real Madrid which gave the ground a temporary capacity of 10,900[5] again before the 2009 FAI Cup Final, giving the ground a temporary capacity of 8,500[6] and for Rovers' games in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League group stage.

I can't imagine they'd get much more than that 10,900 which means that they'd be doing really well just to get the season ticket holders in.

The whole point of playing in a different stadium is to either get fans in who struggle to make it to the home stadium as is the case with Munster and Musgrave or to try and attract new fans.

Tallaght is only a few KMs from the RDS so it's not the first reason. And while I can see the value in holding a match in a much more working class area not known for being a rugby stronghold, they won't be able to sell any tickets for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Does anyone know how Munster manage the Cork game? Is it excluded from the season ticket?

This is what that 2009 FAI cup final looked like by the way. Don't know how you'd get an extra few thousand in.

1280px-FAI_Cup_Final.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There has to be more seats than season tickets, I would have thought that was obvious. There also has to be room to sell some tickets, there is no point in moving to another ground for a game if they can’t take advantage of the novelty for a new area.
    There is also a contract in place with the RDS that means they can’t move.
    I think but aren’t positive that the pitch in Dalymount is to be synthetic so that wouldn’t be a runner anyway for any games at any level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This is what that 2009 FAI cup final looked like by the way. Don't know how you'd get an extra few thousand in.

1280px-FAI_Cup_Final.jpg

There is a new permanent stand under construction at the far end from that pic at the moment.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    There is a new permanent stand under construction at the far end from that pic at the moment.

What's that due to bring the capacity up to?

There have been Ireland A and Leinster pre season games there before apparently.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I've been to multiple games there this year (have a friend who plays there in another sport) and that stand appears to be going up extremely slowly!

The permanent capacity after they add that stand will still only be 8k or so, and it's not particularly great at holding a full house

(Just to be clear the stand at the end in that picture was a temporary stand, they'd need to add that back in as well and even with that they wouldn't be able to fit in 80% of season ticket holders)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Does anyone know how Munster manage the Cork game? Is it excluded from the season ticket?

Believe they split their season tickets into 3 packages, European Cup, Thomond, and Independent Park.

Believe they split their season tickets into 3 packages, European Cup, Thomond, and Independent Park.

Yeah, just looking at it now.

Bit pricey aren't they?

• Advertisement

Suspected knee ligament injury for Luke McGrath according to Thornley in the Times.
    The extent of Luke McGrath’s injury will be confirmed by Leinster this week but the scrumhalf is understood to have sustained a knee ligament injury which is liable to rule him out of Leinster’s final pool game against Wasps next Sunday and at least the start of the Six Nations.
    If this is the case we won't see him until the World Cup and it cruelly put's his chances of travelling to Japan in real jeopardy.

Suspected knee ligament injury for Luke McGrath according to Thornley in the Times.

If this is the case we won't see him until the World Cup and it cruelly put's his chances of travelling to Japan in real jeopardy.

Yeah, was just saying that. Will Connors did his back in August and we haven't heard a peep out of him.

I honestly think that's it for McGrath. He'll be out for the entire Six Nations and possibly the rest of the Leinster season as well. He'd need a lights out world cup warm up campaign to make it.

He was always going to be third choice scrumhalf competing with Cooney who is more versatile. And that's assuming Joe even takes three scrumhalves which is no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Not necessarily - if it is his cruciate ligament - yeah, he's probably done.

But a medial ligament injury is much more minor and might only see him out for a few weeks.

Not necessarily - if it is his cruciate ligament - yeah, he's probably done.

But a medial ligament injury is much more minor and might only see him out for a few weeks.

You're right of course. I had a partial MCL tear a few years ago and I was training again less than two months later.

Having said that, I wasn't lying there crippled on the pitch when it happened and I was just about able to walk off on my own. McGrath looked worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

3 packages but think it's TP, IP and Europe, TP and Europe and IP and Europe. Don't think it's possible to just buy tickets to Pro 14 games in 1 venue say. Only the 4 games usually in Cork and 6/7 in Limerick so bundled with Europe matches afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There are 12,500 season ticket holders, so unless a ground has at least a 15,000 capacity there is absolutely no conversation to be had. Not to mention existing contracts with the RDS. Pre season or A games are the only ones that can be moved.

When is Nick McCarthy due back?

stephen_n wrote: »
    There are 12,500 season ticket holders, so unless a ground has at least a 15,000 capacity there is absolutely no conversation to be had. Not to mention existing contracts with the RDS. Pre season or A games are the only ones that can be moved.

It was a 12 week injury at the time so probably the end of February/start of March.

The RDS is 3x bigger than Tallaght Stadium at least.

It's just not at all
    There are 13,000 season ticket holders.

Tallaght's listed capacity is less than half of that. Even if you shoehorn in a few extra temporary stands you probably still wouldn't get there. You certainly wouldn't be able to get it to a point where you could start selling extra tickets.

Tallaght's capacity is 8,000 and last time I checked that's greater than half of 13,000. These aren't hard things to check lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »

He should be back at some point during the 6N. He was given a 12 week estimate in the press release back in early December. That should give some decent opportunities to Hugh O'Sullivan.

JGP to lead the charge but I'd be eager to afford HOS/PP some game time to allow them some experience as well as protect JGP from any potential injuries himself.

• Advertisement

It's just not at all

Tallaght's capacity is 8,000 and last time I checked that's greater than half of 13,000. These aren't hard things to check lads.

Tallaght's capacity is 6,000 as it stands right now with permanent seating. The RDS is over 18,000 with permanent and temporary (which is permanent for all of Leinster's intents and purposes).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement