Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

troyzer wrote: »
    Tallaght's capacity is 6,000 as it stands right now with permanent seating. The RDS is over 18,000 with permanent and temporary (which is permanent for all of Leinster's intents and purposes).

It's 8,000 the website may say 6 but that's ****e for being updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

D14Rugby wrote: »
    It's 8,000 the website may say 6 but that's ****e for being updated.

Has there been any permanent capacity added since the stadium was built?

You've been told many times there's a brand ****ing new stand at one end.

I've been told many times that it's not finished yet and is being built very slowly.

I've been told many times that it's not finished yet and is being built very slowly.

• Advertisement

And I've told you it's finished. And it went up pretty damn fast. Start to finish April to October everything finished. That's pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/22040/tallaght-stadium-set-for-fourth-stand/

And I've told you it's finished. And it went up pretty damn fast. Start to finish April to October everything finished. That's pretty fast.

Alright, I'll take your word for it but there's obviously a contradiction between you and other posters.

So it's 8,000 then and presumably this fourth stand gets built and you're up to 10,000.

You have very little room for extra capacity then and you're still 2,500 (at least) short of accommodating even the season ticket holders. Another successful season for Leinster will probably see even more season ticket holders.

So, how would this work with a stadium that isn't big enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

leinster aren't allowed sell much more season tickets than they currently have because the rds doesn't have the room to give an allocation to visiting supporters.

Hosting any games in Tallaght where the season ticket holders couldn't be accomodation is fantasy stuff.

I can see an argument for A team or preseason but not the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

There’s literally no point in playing games outside of the RDS as things stand.

Leinster have over 12,000 season ticket holders. That’s a minimum of 12,000 tickets sold for every game - why would they want to play in a stadium where capacity doesn’t meet demand?

On top of this, Leinster pay to rent the RDS. Why would they want to pay rent on another venue on top of that?

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that prem teams get a few weeks off after this weekend?

I reckon Wasps will throw the kitchen sink at us this weekend. Last round of a pool stage that has gone badly for them. Reigning champions coming to town needing points having humiliated Wasps the opening weekend.

All the ingredients are there for a real grudge match. No reason for Dai Young to put out a diluted squad.

I'm also not sure it's a good thing that Leinster will know whether top 2 is going to be possible in advance. If Racing or Sarries drop points then we'll have a huge impetus to go hell for Leather. If they are out of reach regardless of us getting 5 then it's going to take from our pool of motivation.

Still can't see beyond 4 points for Leinster but hope they finish the pool campaign on a high.

Am I right in saying that prem teams get a few weeks off after this weekend?

I reckon Wasps will throw the kitchen sink at us this weekend. Last round of a pool stage that has gone badly for them. Reigning champions coming to town needing points having humiliated Wasps the opening weekend.

All the ingredients are there for a real grudge match. No reason for Dai Young to put out a diluted squad.

I'm also not sure it's a good thing that Leinster will know whether top 2 is going to be possible in advance. If Racing or Sarries drop points then we'll have a huge impetus to go hell for Leather. If they are out of reach regardless of us getting 5 then it's going to take from our pool of motivation.

Still can't see beyond 4 points for Leinster but hope they finish the pool campaign on a high.

They have Leinster, two weeks off, Worcester, two weeks off, Bristol and then back to normal.

I imagine Dai for his own sake will want a big performance. I can see a grudge match. Which is fortunate for me because I'm the ****ing idiot who's getting to Coventry at around 07:30 for a 15:15 kick off in freezing weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think Wasps are going to throw much at us. They rested Daly for the match at the weekend. He'll probably be back and I expect their line up to be strong on paper but I also expect it to be a combination of England players minding themselves and the likes of Sopoaga and WLR phoning it in.

I think it will be competitive for the first half but Wasps will fall away as the lack of interest and commitment takes over. If we have one or two lads back, we'll also have a very strong bench to bring on and lift the pace significantly.

I reckon it will all be academic come Sunday anyway and Leinster will simply need the win to secure 3rd seed with Racing and Saracens already secure in the top spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wasps can field whoever they want, they just aren't very good. It'll be a 5 pointer regardless.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leinster - 21 already ......

sydthebeat wrote: »
    leinster - 21 already ......

That's just ridiculous.

Then again, we said the same thing about the bookies for Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    He should be back at some point during the 6N. He was given a 12 week estimate in the press release back in early December. That should give some decent opportunities to Hugh O'Sullivan.

JGP to lead the charge but I'd be eager to afford HOS/PP some game time to allow them some experience as well as protect JGP from any potential injuries himself.

It’s the injury bit that would worry me. If it’s cruciate and not medial for Luke, that’s going to leave us very exposed if JGP gets a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's just ridiculous.

Then again, we said the same thing about the bookies for Toulouse.

I think that seems about right, 30-7 to Leinster or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Awful for Luke McGrath.
    That could be his world cup dream gone.
    Not good for Leinster either. McCarthy will get a run now.
    The depth at 9 will be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

I'm sure Munster will be happy to send Alby Mathewson our way seen as Consey is back to full health!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd rather see HOS get more game time than McCarthy to be honest. He never really showed much promise, and he's out of here next season. Obviously it's a big step up, and he's very much untested at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say JGP will be used a bit sparingly in the pro 14 now, we have enough of a cushion that 3 or 4 wins almost certainly have us top the group. A win next week and it will be all about Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

PMC83 wrote: »
    I'm sure Munster will be happy to send Alby Mathewson our way seen as Consey is back to full health!

It wouldn't shock me if the IRFU did ask Munster to send a scrum half to Leinster, James Hart or Duncan Williams would make sense til the end of the season, especially with Leinster gifting Carbery to them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jonok28 wrote: »
    It wouldn't shock me if the IRFU did ask Munster to send a scrum half to Leinster, James Hart or Duncan Williams would make sense til the end of the season, especially with Leinster gifting Carbery to them.

andy ellis will be at a loose end soon ;)

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s the injury bit that would worry me. If it’s cruciate and not medial for Luke, that’s going to leave us very exposed if JGP gets a knock.

We'll have to wait and see. Anyone who watched the 6N opener last season will recall Ben Youngs being trapped awkwardly and going down screaming holding his knee. I thought he was looking at 9 months out of the game. He was back in not much more than 9 weeks and played the final month of the season for Leicester.

I can only hope it's similar for McGrath and he'll be involved by the end of March although I accept that's probably not looking very likely right now.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Not good for Leinster either. McCarthy will get a run now.
    The depth at 9 will be tested.

To be honest, I'm not sure I want McCarthy to get much of a run. I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face so, if McCarthy is the best option for the bench in Europe, we'll need to get him up to speed and so be it.

But I wouldn't mind using this game opportunity to allow HOS get another 100 minutes of senior rugby minimum under his belt during the 6N and show what he can do. McCarthy is injured, won't be back for another bit and won't be here next season. Development minutes should be apportioned accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Unless McGrath is gone for the season there is no way we would take one of them.

Biggest game for Leinster given our grip on the Pro14 is next week v Wasps where we have HOS and JGP fit.

The next biggest game is the quarter finals 10 weeks away. Plenty of time for Luke to get his knee right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Unless McGrath is gone for the season there is no way we would take one of them.

Biggest game for Leinster given our grip on the Pro14 is next week v Wasps where we have HOS and JGP fit.

The next biggest game is the quarter finals 10 weeks away. Plenty of time for Luke to get his knee right!!

By the sounds of things McGrath could be done for the season. If JGP was to take a knock at any point this season there is no way in hell they would feel comfortable with HOS and Nick McCarthy at the wheel coming into the later rounds of the Pro 14 or Champions Cup. Munster have 5 scrum halves at their disposal. Adding one on a short term loan would not cripple Munster, Munster would obviously not part ways with Murray or Alby but Neil Cronin, James Hart or Duncan Williams could be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It would be rather amusing if Leinster needed a loan of a scrum half after all that was said around the time of Carbery going to Munster/Ulster.

• Advertisement

By the sounds of things McGrath could be done for the season. If JGP was to take a knock at any point this season there is no way in hell they would feel comfortable with HOS and Nick McCarthy at the wheel coming into the later rounds of the Pro 14 or Champions Cup. Munster have 5 scrum halves at their disposal. Adding one on a short term loan would not cripple Munster, Munster would obviously not part ways with Murray or Alby but Neil Cronin, James Hart or Duncan Williams could be available.

If JGP is injured, Leinster will be looking for someone with a lot more proven pedigree than Williams, Hart or Cronin. As someone mentioned elsewhere, I think they'd be approaching someone like Andy Ellis for a 3 month contract given the Japanese season would be over (assuming he isn't eating and drinking all around him during the off season).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement