Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Really hope his contract is extended. Having the ability to play him whenever necessary next season when the 3 into 2 rule is no longer an issue would be brilliant.

I think he will be kept for maybe two more seasons. I think the academy lads aren't quite ready yet and having Fardy there for another two seasons would give Leinster the chance to bleed the young lads in slowly but surely and not put too much pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd like for him to be retained next year but I don't see it happening and couldn't complain if the IRFU blocked it.

We have locks in the squad now who are stepping up and looking good. Guys like Molony and Kearney are now reaching ages where they need to be playing to a higher level if they're going to reach their potential. Fardy will be 35, will never provide an option to the Irish squad and he would almost certainly only be allowed sign for one more year.

Oisin Dowling looks likely to be promoted to the senior squad next year. He may have another year in the academy but if he gets more game time over the 6N, I can see him making the move onto a development deal within the senior panel. At 22, he's not going to benefit too much from another season in the academy and looked comfortable in his brief showing against Ulster. I'd be happy to see more of him before the end of the season

Fardy extremely talented and versatile. He has obviously bought in to Leinster and contributes off the field as well as on given his role this season. For that reason, I'd be happy to see him contribute for a year in Belfast if it was an option. They have a far greater need for someone of that ilk to be in their pack right now and he would provide a great option for guys like Treadwell to work alongside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jonok28 wrote: »
    I think he will be kept for maybe two more seasons. I think the academy lads aren't quite ready yet and having Fardy there for another two seasons would give Leinster the chance to bleed the young lads in slowly but surely and not put too much pressure on them.

Dont think IRFU will sanction a 2 year deal. 1 year extension or nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Kane Douglas was signed to a Super Rugby franchise when picked for the RWC15 squad despite the last team he played for prior to the World Cup was overseas (coincidentally - also Leinster)

If he signs with one of the Aussie Super rugby teams at the end of this season he wont realistically get to play Super Rugby his year but would definitely be eligible for Australia.

That's what I was thinking. In the NFL when they have a legendary player who maybe gave 10 seasons at a club before finishing up a year or two later somewhere else, they'll often sign them on a one day, $1 contract so they can technically retire with the club they built their career on.

I wonder if that's possible for Fardy. The Brumbies just sign him back for a three month, nominal contract so he can play warm up games and get to the world cup with no intention of playing him in the 2020 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rule is over a certain age then 1 year. A few players have left because of that rule....

Getting old now so I can't remember names but the Scottish guy after the 2011 win comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think there's a good chance of Fardy re-signing as Arno Botha was extended in Munster. Both Munster and Leinster will be losing back five forwards to the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Rule is over a certain age then 1 year. A few players have left because of that rule....

Getting old now so I can't remember names but the Scottish guy after the 2011 win comes to mind

How very dare you...Nathan Hines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Dont think IRFU will sanction a 2 year deal. 1 year extension or nothing at all

His age might only land him a one year deal but I think Leinster might argue how important Fardy is when the Internationals are away, his ability to play in the second row and in the back row is very valuable and he doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

I think there's a good chance of Fardy re-signing as Arno Botha was extended in Munster. Both Munster and Leinster will be losing back five forwards to the World Cup.

They will but even if Leinster lose Ryan, Toner, Leavy, Ruddock, VDF and SOB to the RWC they will still have Conan, Penny, Murphy, Doris, Deegan, Connors, Molony and Kearney with potentially Dowling to come into the senior squad too.

And I don't expect them to lose all 4 of those back row forwards I named either; one of them will probably be left at home.

The Botha signing for Munster is odd, to be honest. They'll lose POM, Stander and Beirne to the RWC which leaves them with 8 guys to cover the back row and lock (not including DOC2 who is set to depart). There's also Coombes and Sean O'Connor who are due to be promoted from the academy, potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Via Sinead Kissane:

Dw83p5NWkAAMplS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Dev, SOB and Henshaw all possibly involved this weekend. No update on Jack McGrath. Wonder what the story is there. Could be looking at:

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Conan VDF

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Lowe Larmour Byrne

Tracy, Byrne, Porter, Molony, SOB, HOS, Reid, Dave

molloyjh wrote: »
    No update on Jack McGrath. Wonder what the story is there.

Nor was he listed as being injured last week. Could be another Heaslip/Murray scenario, so I will instantly assume he's out for the season/facing retirement.

No update on Jack McGrath. Wonder what the story is there.

Nor was he listed as being injured last week. Could be another Heaslip/Murray scenario, so I will instantly assume he's out for the season/facing retirement.

Leavy is the same. It must have been a selection decision to leave him out of the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Given he played a game and wasn't listed as injured last week or this week I suspect Ed Byrne was just picked ahead of him last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jack was doing the pre-match warm up at the weekend and seemed to be the 24th man. So if he isn’t selected this weekend I’m completely behind you in terms of panic and pessimism.

So Dev, SOB and Henshaw all possibly involved this weekend. No update on Jack McGrath. Wonder what the story is there. Could be looking at:

Healy Cronin Furlong
    Toner Ryan
    Ruddock Conan VDF

JGP Byrne
    Henshaw Ringrose
    Lowe Larmour Byrne

Tracy, Byrne, Porter, Molony, SOB, HOS, Reid, Dave

The reason Henshaw's come back date was revised was because he re-injured himself with Leinster, the IRFU weren't too happy so they may not allow him back this weekend either.

scott1974 wrote: »
    The reason Henshaw's come back date was revised was because he re-injured himself with Leinster, the IRFU weren't too happy so they may not allow him back this weekend either.

Where did you get that from?

troyzer wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?

Someone in the know..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No return date listed for McCarthy, going to be a good opportunity for HOS over the next 8 weeks.

Given that Jack McGrath was the 24th man last weekend, we can only assume he’s not injured. Though he did look quite unfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good news on Luke. Still it's bad timing.
    He was playing really well.
    I reckon Henshaw will bench this week and probably start v Scarlets.
    Jack McGrath will get into the 23 and possibly start v Scarlets.
    Both of them are short on game time. I think they both will miss out on the the 1st 6nations match?
    I know RK starts if health this weekend, but I would like to see Larmour get the nod.
    Not to sure about the full points this week, I think getting the win is more important.
    Wasps will be seething after the 1st encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    I would say they'd have a 75% fit Marmion in ahead of Cooney who wasn't helped by missing last week with a supposed back injury.

I think Cooney is a good distance off significant Irish involvement.

"Supposed" back injury? As opposed to an actual back injury?

It was reported as "back spasms before the game" - are you suggesting something else?

Agree on Marmion, think the fact he was preferred ahead of McGrath/Cooney for NZ despite needing ankle surgery shows how he is rated by Joe.

Given he played a game and wasn't listed as injured last week or this week I suspect Ed Byrne was just picked ahead of him last week.

I really, really doubt it. Like, Ed Byrne is a good player but he's not in the same galaxy as Jack McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I really, really doubt it. Like, Ed Byrne is a good player but he's not in the same galaxy as Jack McGrath.

Jack definitely has more to his game.

But he had one 50 minute run out against an Ulster side that offered about as much competition as a wet paper bag and that was all he had in 6 weeks.

Byrne has been ticking away with plenty of game time all season and was probably more match fit for the biggest game of the season where 1-23 really needed to be able to give it everything

Jack definitely has more to his game.

But he had one 50 minute run out against an Ulster side that offered about as much competition as a wet paper bag and that was all he had in 6 weeks.

Byrne has been ticking away with plenty of game time all season and was probably more match fit for the biggest game of the season where 1-23 really needed to be able to give it everything

He said on House of Rugby that he was gassed after the first ten minutes of Ulster and just about managed to get through the game.

The Monday after, Lancaster said he wasn't training just to manage him back in.

It's possible that McGrath was thrown out against Ulster before he was really ready and they decided to give him an extra two weeks of training back to full fitness before playing him again.

Zzippy wrote: »
    "Supposed" back injury? As opposed to an actual back injury?

It was reported as "back spasms before the game" - are you suggesting something else?

Agree on Marmion, think the fact he was preferred ahead of McGrath/Cooney for NZ despite needing ankle surgery shows how he is rated by Joe.

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing Cooney to not play.

Or I just hadn't seen any official confirmation of the injury yet so was just assuming it was the back injury but wasn't certain.

Hopefully , Jack McGrath is fit for the 6nations.
    I think Ed Byrne has been good for us, but having McGrath come in this weekend would be huge.

I wonder if Ringrose will be rested and Henshaw slots in at 12 and ROL to 13?

I suppose DK will not start as Lowe is back. I can't see Adam Byrne being replaced either. I reckon Larmour will most likely bench this week, if the handsome one is fit.

I just watched both matches against Toulouse!
    The interception was a killer, but I think we didn't use our possession or territory all that well?

We were very patient this past weekend. No panic and stuck to the gameplan.
    Over there, I thought we were caught on a day where we didn't sync!

We should have won that away match. Now getting to Newcastle is more difficult if we don't have a home sf.

Does anyone have a listing of the squads contract status.
    On the Munster thread there's a semi regular update of the players contracts and length of the contract.
    It's got to be contract time atm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Does anyone have a listing of the squads contract status.
    On the Munster thread there's a semi regular update of the players contracts and length of the contract.
    It's got to be contract time atm?

That's just because Thomond had a lot of spare time and compiled one ages ago that he's been updating ever since every time there's renewals announced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement