Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Does anyone have a listing of the squads contract status.
    On the Munster thread there's a semi regular update of the players contracts and length of the contract.
    It's got to be contract time atm?

They only do that to see who is leaving that season to be replaced by Leinster players!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Does anyone have a listing of the squads contract status.
    On the Munster thread there's a semi regular update of the players contracts and length of the contract.
    It's got to be contract time atm?

Mildlyinterested over on Leinster fans forum has pretty good info on current squad status and academy status

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewforum.php?f=2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So the knock on impact of the omissions from the Irish squad means that Leinster will now have a strong side available for the Scarlets on the 25th.

We wouldn't have expected to have guys like Leavy and Byrne available both of which have been problem positions for Leinster this season due to call ups previously.

Looking at something along the lines of Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Kearney, Murphy, Leavy, Deegan/Doris, JGP, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, ROL, Byrne, Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buer wrote: »
    So the knock on impact of the omissions from the Irish squad means that Leinster will now have a strong side available for the Scarlets on the 25th.

We wouldn't have expected to have guys like Leavy and Byrne available both of which have been problem positions for Leinster this season due to call ups previously.

Looking at something along the lines of Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Molony, Kearney, Murphy, Leavy, Deegan/Doris, JGP, Byrne, Lowe, Reid, ROL, Byrne, Kearney.

I thought the reason Leavy wasn't included was injury so he might not be available. Surely Fardy would feature too to give some added experience to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

b.gud wrote: »
    I thought the reason Leavy wasn't included was injury so he might not be available. Surely Fardy would feature too to give some added experience to the team

Can only have 2 foreign players. Fardy might play but you'll need to drop Lowe or JGP and it won't be JGP.

Leavy is currently injured but, as far as I'm aware, it's nothing serious so may be available. More hope on my end.

• Advertisement

Ross Byrne being omitted and Joey Carbery and a few other former Leinster players getting the nod is going to have more lads looking to other provinces for opportunities I reckon.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ross Byrne being omitted and Joey Carbery and a few other former Leinster players getting the nod is going to have more lads looking to other provinces for opportunities I reckon.

agreed

i dont think is a huge surprise that the first choice 10s at three different provinces have been called up.... and give billy some more time he could be another good option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Can only have 2 foreign players. Fardy might play but you'll need to drop Lowe or JGP and it won't be JGP.

Leavy is currently injured but, as far as I'm aware, it's nothing serious so may be available. More hope on my end.

Does that rule apply to the Pro14 as well? I thought it was an EPCR only rule

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We'll struggle to keep Byrne at this rate, with Sexton continuing on after the world cup and being him omitted from the Ireland squad. Could easily get more money abroad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

b.gud wrote: »
    Does that rule apply to the Pro14 as well? I thought it was an EPCR only rule

it applies everywhere

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    We'll struggle to keep Byrne at this rate, with Sexton continuing on after the world cup and being him omitted from the Ireland squad. Could easily get more money abroad.

His personal circumstances will dictate his appetite to depart just as much as his future Ireland ambitions.

I'd say he is absolutely filthy to be honest.

I said it earlier in the season, Sexton has a turn of pace as does Carbery that Byrne simply does not have. Carty similarly is a threat ball in hand.

Byrne may need to hit O'Gara levels of game management to force the issue.

I'm very surprised all the same - but I'm not going to second guess Joe.

Ross Byrne is going to have to do some rationalisation and deal with the disappointment. I'm very sympathetic and he's been brilliant for Leinster all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Could well be JGP we have a big cushion in that conference and hopefully and a quarter final in 2 months that is really all that matters after this weekend.

Come on now, Sexton has already said he will be winding down to the Lions and then retiring. So Byrne will be playing more and more at 10 than ever before.

He is only 23, at that stage he will be 25 and in his prime. He will be the starting 10 for Leinster with some exceptional players around him.

It is one squad for 2 games. Some of the stuff is gas. Joe needs to look at all options. Simple at that. It would be amiss of him not to look at Carty.

I have watched Carty a few times, He is ok but nothing special. The first time he played against Leinster he was muck. The second time he might have played well for a while but still lost. Hardly a great tick in the box

The rest of the time he is playing Pro14 and that other trophy in Europe I can't even remember the name of. The Amblin one. Hardly the top of Europe.

Byrne just played against one of the form European teams and closed out a bonus point win. Would Carty be fit to do the same? I doubt it.

The big goal is the WC squad. Not the prelimary squad for the 2 games in 6 nations. Byrne was not going to see time anyway unless of an injury. If Sexton or Carberry pick up a knock he will be in squad the next day

Also I bet he is spending most of his time with squad anyway between Lesinter training.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We'll struggle to keep Byrne at this rate, with Sexton continuing on after the world cup and being him omitted from the Ireland squad.

I can't see Byrne being this short-sighted. Is he going to throw his international career away like that?
    Could easily get more money abroad.

I think salaries abroad are grossly over-estimated. I don't think he would do much better tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

His personal circumstances will dictate his appetite to depart just as much as his future Ireland ambitions.

I'd say he is absolutely filthy to be honest.

I said it earlier in the season, Sexton has a turn of pace as does Carbery that Byrne simply does not have. Carty similarly is a threat ball in hand.

Byrne may need to hit O'Gara levels of game management to force the issue.

I'm very surprised all the same - but I'm not going to second guess Joe.

Ross Byrne is going to have to do some rationalisation and deal with the disappointment. I'm very sympathetic and he's been brilliant for Leinster all season.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I've noticed Byrne adding that to his repertoire lately with mixed results. He has the time and the opportunities to bring that part of his game on and I'm sure he'll apply himself to it as he has with the rest of his game. Carty's weakness was his kicking game and he's made a marked improvement this season. He's always had the attacking game with ball in hand, so it's no surprise really that he's been picked.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I've noticed Byrne adding that to his repertoire lately with mixed results. He has the time and the opportunities to bring that part of his game on and I'm sure he'll apply himself to it as he has with the rest of his game. Carty's weakness was his kicking game and he's made a marked improvement this season. He's always had the attacking game with ball in hand, so it's no surprise really that he's been picked.

I commented in the Ireland thread that with McGrath being injured for the tournament, Blade / Marmion are in the frame and Carty has a relationship with both. All these things play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not at all, Byrne won't command big money from abroad, in fact the difference would be barely noticeable.

He's very much unproven as an out and out starter at the highest level, with very little international experience.

He's definitely got one eye on the future, he's picking up significant game time and will continue to do so, as the longer Sexton stays around the less time he'll play provincially. He's earmarked to take over the starting 10 role at one of if not the strongest club side in Europe.

I commented in the Ireland thread that with McGrath being injured for the tournament, Blade / Marmion are in the frame and Carty has a relationship with both. All these things play a part.
    Yeah, I saw that too. It's quite a reasonable assumption, but you have to give Csrty credit too for his improvements this season. Blade's always been a player I've felt could be an international, so I have to bring a degree of smugness to the debate. ;)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that too. It's quite a reasonable assumption, but you have to give Csrty credit too for his improvements this season. Blade's always been a player I've felt could be an international, so I have to bring a degree of smugness to the debate. ;)

I'd take nothing at all away from Carty. He's just gotten a spot in the squad of the second best team in World Rugby. It's never been harder to play for Ireland and here he is less than 12 months from the World Cup - I'm delighted for him and his family.

But from a Leinster perspective the real question is what did Ross Byrne do wrong (if anything) or what is he lacking.

Neither Carty, Carbery nor Sexton have beards - could be a factor.

I'd take nothing at all away from Carty. He's just gotten a spot in the squad of the second best team in World Rugby. It's never been harder to play for Ireland and here he is less than 12 months from the World Cup - I'm delighted for him and his family.

But from a Leinster perspective the real question is what did Ross Byrne do wrong (if anything) or what is he lacking.

Neither Carty, Carbery nor Sexton have beards - could be a factor.
    Interesting. Is this Jack Conan's problem too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Come on now, Sexton has already said he will be winding down to the Lions and then retiring. So Byrne will be playing more and more at 10 than ever before.

He is only 23, at that stage he will be 25 and in his prime. He will be the starting 10 for Leinster with some exceptional players around him.

It is one squad for 2 games. Some of the stuff is gas. Joe needs to look at all options. Simple at that. It would be amiss of him not to look at Carty.

I have watched Carty a few times, He is ok but nothing special. The first time he played against Leinster he was muck. The second time he might have played well for a while but still lost. Hardly a great tick in the box

The rest of the time he is playing Pro14 and that other trophy in Europe I can't even remember the name of. The Amblin one. Hardly the top of Europe.

Byrne just played against one of the form European teams and closed out a bonus point win. Would Carty be fit to do the same? I doubt it.

The big goal is the WC squad. Not the prelimary squad for the 2 games in 6 nations. Byrne was not going to see time anyway unless of an injury. If Sexton or Carberry pick up a knock he will be in squad the next day

Also I bet he is spending most of his time with squad anyway between Lesinter training.....
    To clarify this isn't simply because of today. It was something I had thought of when Sexton signed on, have we got Byrne signed up?
    Not at all, Byrne won't command big money from abroad, in fact the difference would be barely noticeable.

He's very much unproven as an out and out starter at the highest level, with very little international experience.

He's definitely got one eye on the future, he's picking up significant game time and will continue to do so, as the longer Sexton stays around the less time he'll play provincially. He's earmarked to take over the starting 10 role at one of if not the strongest club side in Europe.

That's not really the point though. Hes better than most out halfs in France and England.

Maybe its an overreaction. I do think this is a very surprising move though. Schmidt doesn't often choose a guy who wasn't in the squad over some who was due to being in slightly better form, if the other is fit and playing well. Its unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

To clarify this isn't simply because of today. It was something I had thought of when Sexton signed on, have we got Byrne signed up?

That's not really the point though. Hes better than most out halfs in France and England.

Maybe its an overreaction. I do think this is a very surprising move though. Schmidt doesn't often choose a guy who wasn't in the squad over some who was due to being in slightly better form, if the other is fit and playing well. Its unusual.

Schmidt selects who he thinks is best for the squad, regardless of province or previous selections. He always has done and always will. It’s a judgement call that as things stand Carty is a better option than Byrne. That could change over the course of the tournament or it may not. I wouldn’t be too worried about it, especially as it benefits Leinster. Think it’s safe to say at this stage Joe knows what he’s doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Schmidt has watched Byrne for years at this stage and knows what he brings to the table. His style mightn’t suit Schmidt.

He has picked him for squads before, but I always thought he was slow to give him game time.
    No harm in bringing in another inform OH.

Ross Byrne?

Running through the AP table:
    Saracens: Owen Farrell
    Exeter: Steenson
    Quins: Marcus Smith/Catrakilis
    Glaws: Cipriani
    Sale: AJ Macginty
    Wasps: Sopoaga/Gopperth
    Leicester: Ford
    Bath: F Burns/Priestland
    Saints: Biggar
    Bristol: Madigan
    Worcester: I don't know actually
    Newcastle: Flood

I would put Ross Byrne towards the bottom of that list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I was just scrolling through the Wasps Facebook page and I noticed they deleted every single post about the Leinster game in October except for a short video of them warming up and another post telling fans that the Wasps supporters club was setting up in Searsons.

I remember at the time how unbelievably toxic some of the comments were. Seems pretty draconian to start silencing your fans

Ross Byrne?

Flood?
    Burns?
    Priestland?

To name a few he is better than. I won’t mention Gopperth because he is a 12 now

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Flood?
    Burns?
    Priestland?

To name a few he is better than. I won’t mention Gopperth because he is a 12 now

It's very debatable (Priestland especially), but even if you're right, that's only two clubs where he's better than the incumbents.

I'm sorry but even as a Leinster fan, he is being WILDLY over-rated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They're some seriously blue tinted glasses if you think Ross Byrne is better than most outhalfs in France and England.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a decent player and certainly has potential to grow into the Leinster starter after Sexton calls it a day, but he's far from the finished article.

There's a lot of faux outrage on Byrne's behalf at him not being selected. I'm sure Joe has been in touch and told him exactly why and what he needs to work on. He's only picked up one cap. It's important to remember as well that there's a good chance neither him or Carty will be going to the RWC and Joe picking 2 outhalfs and 3 scrum halves instead of the opposite way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What do people think Byrne would have done if he was in the squad? He wouldn't have even made the bench. Delighted to have him with Leinster throughout the period, especially with McGrath's injury because its crucial we get some half back performances to keep the dirt trackers on the right... eh... dirt track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Ross Byrne?

Weir is the Worcester out half. Guessing since you didn't know that you haven't watched much premiership this season. Byrne certainly isn't at the bottom of that list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement