Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Weir is the Worcester out half. Guessing since you didn't know that you haven't watched much premiership this season. Byrne certainly isn't at the bottom of that list.

No. I don't watch much Premiership.

That does not make Ross Byrne a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Who's going on Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's very debatable (Priestland especially), but even if you're right, that's only two clubs where he's better than the incumbents.

I'm sorry but even as a Leinster fan, he is being WILDLY over-rated here.

Ok I will go down the list then, all I done the first time was picked the obvious ones

Saracens: Owen Farrell is better
    Exeter: Steenson - over the hill and not even starting most games I seen. They had a young lad play the final last season.
    Quins: Marcus Smith/Catrakilis - Seen a few times Smith, Byrne is better
    Glaws: Cipriani is better but he is a liability at times.
    Sale: AJ Macginty - Byrne is better
    Wasps: Sopoaga/Gopperth - Gopperth is 12, the bit I have seen of Sopoaga he is not better than Byrne. Only have seen him play for Wasps
    Leicester: Ford - Ford would be better but not much in it
    Bath: F Burns/Priestland - both worse.
    Saints: Biggar is better
    Bristol: Madigan - Madigan is a fav of mine :-)
    Worcester: I don't know actually - Better
    Newcastle: Flood - better

Toulouse would love to sign Byrne if they could get their hands on him, they have everything but a decent 10.

If he was available tomorrow moning you would have a queue for him.

It was the same when Madigan was with Leinster, nobody would want him etc etc etc, can't manage a game.....he leaves and is flying with Bristol....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

No. I don't watch much Premiership.

That does not make Ross Byrne a better player.

Well it makes your opinion somewhat invalid because you're saying something based off what exactly? Reputation? How can you say x player is better than y when you don't watch player x play rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Byrne not selected for one camp.

Internet already discussing the merits of him emigrating.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Byrne not selected for one camp.

Internet already discussing the merits of him emigrating.

I was eating some lasagne earlier on and the sheer idiocy and hysteria of me thinking Byrne was snubbed hit me like a train.

In Joe we trust

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone been to the Ricoh before? I am going with a bunch of family and ordered 6 adult tickets and 1 youth (18-21) ticket. My godmothers soon who was meant to be coming can't go and she's bringing a middle aged friend. Makes me the youngest at 27. Wondering are turnstiles fully automated etc and something I can just chance my arm with, or do I need to buy another ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Byrne's exclusion from the Ireland squad makes things a sight easier for Leinster now. He'll definitely be available for the Scarlets and Zebre games. Probably Kings too. We're losing 16 players to international duty so Byrne will be one of the more experienced players into squad. We'll need that.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    he leaves and is flying with Bristol....

I don't have time to debate the merits of the rest of your post, but you've said the above twice recently and neither time has it been particularly accurate.

Bristol are bottom of the Prem. By all accounts the premiership looks to be the weakest league in Europe with only 1 team likely to progress to the last 8 in Europe. Their best win this season was against Leicester who had someone sent off after 10 minutes or so.

Madigan is playing well enough but Bristol have imploded loads of times this season. He's still a really talented rugby player and decent but not brilliant out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I don't have time to debate the merits of the rest of your post, but you've said the above twice recently and neither time has it been particularly accurate.

Bristol are bottom of the Prem. By all accounts the premiership looks to be the weakest league in Europe with only 1 team likely to progress to the last 8 in Europe. Their best win this season was against Leicester who had someone sent off after 10 minutes or so.

Madigan is playing well enough but Bristol have imploded loads of times this season. He's still a really talented rugby player and decent but not brilliant out half.

Worecstor and Newcastle.
    Bristol have an awsome 1st team but no squad.

• Advertisement

Do I not post at the same time that Madigan is a favorite of mine?

Bristol are 10th, a good few points off the bottom spot which is held by Newcastle and they look to be gone already

The few times I have seen Madigan he has played well, Bristol are a very new team with a huge influx of players.

The plan for this season would be to stay in league and then move upwards next year, by all accounts they are doing exactly that. They are on 24 points and 5th on 29 points, one win and they are in 5th

Not too shabby at all, do you disagree?

Bristol are 3rd bottom not bottom. They're actually 7 points clear of bottom.
    And Leicester had a player sent off after 25 minutes, quite a difference to 10 minutes.
    Guess you could say what you've said above isn't particularly accurate, quite ironic really.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do I not post at the same time that Madigan is a favorite of mine?

Bristol are 10th, a good few points off the bottom spot which is held by Newcastle and they look to be gone already

The few times I have seen Madigan he has played well, Bristol are a very new team with a huge influx of players.

The plan for this season would be to stay in league and then move upwards next year, by all accounts they are doing exactly that. They are on 24 points and 5th on 29 points, one win and they are in 5th

Not too shabby at all, do you disagree?

I don't agree. The premiership is absolute rabble and the only two decent teams in the competition are out of sight already.

I've watched a few of Bristol's games in full and the best thing I can say is that Madigan appears to be enjoying his rugby a lot, but he still has the same problems with his game that he had at Leinster. I'm also a big fan and would love to see him playing at the other end of the table, but right now they are 3rd from bottom in a poor league.

I fully accept that they are a bit of a new project, I've no doubt they will get better but they may also look for a more consistent outhalf when they do.

Bristol are 3rd bottom not bottom. They're actually 7 points clear of bottom.
    And Leicester had a player sent off after 25 minutes, quite a difference to 10 minutes.
    Guess you could say what you've said above isn't particularly accurate, quite ironic really.

If it came across from my post that I was suggesting that Bristol are last in the Prem then apologies, I meant bottom in the sense that they are at the bottom end of the table.

And I don't recall the game in forensic detail - I thought the red was earlier. Either way having checked the score at the time was 10 - 7 and Bristol gradually pulled away after the red card.

I'm satisfied with the relative accuracy of my post.

I don't agree. The premiership is absolute rabble and the only two decent teams in the competition are out of sight already.

I've watched a few of Bristol's games in full and the best thing I can say is that Madigan appears to be enjoying his rugby a lot, but he still has the same problems with his game that he had at Leinster. I'm also a big fan and would love to see him playing at the other end of the table, but right now they are 3rd from bottom in a poor league.

I fully accept that they are a bit of a new project, I've no doubt they will get better but they may also look for a more consistent outhalf when they do.

A bit of new project? They only got their name as start of season.

First season in Premiership. It’s moe than a bit

Not sure how anyone would call the Premiership a rabble, it is the same as Top14, some of the clubs don’t give a s**t about Europe....they try, anything goes wrong and they let it off

Most of the fans are more interested in their own league. Racing and Toulouse, Saracens in England seem to be the only ones with any interest in Europe. Exeter maybe but rob Baxter on podcast saying about turnaround for Munster and salary cap. So maybe not too interested

Far from a rabble I would call it

If it came across from my post that I was suggesting that Bristol are last in the Prem then apologies, I meant bottom in the sense that they are at the bottom end of the table.

And I don't recall the game in forensic detail - I thought the red was earlier. Either way having checked the score at the time was 10 - 7 and Bristol gradually pulled away after the red card.

I'm satisfied with the relative accuracy of my post.

"Bristol are bottom of the Prem."

In what world does that not mean they're last in the league?

"Bristol are bottom of the Prem."

In what world does that not mean they're last in the league?

I'm not going to argue semantics with you, they are one of the bottom teams in a decidedly poor league.

I'm not going to argue semantics with you, they are one of the bottom teams in a decidedly poor league.

How is the league poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

On Ross Byrne, he's only 23!!!! He's played 60 times!!!
    He's at a better position than Sexton was at 23!!
    His game management is superb, his tackling is good and he's been attacking the line more recently.
    He most likely will get better!!

Jack Carty is playing great. End of. He's probably the form 10 right now. He fully deserves his inclusion and I hope to see him capped. He's been better than Carbery too!

16 players gone and we still have serious depth. We will hopefully wrap up the conference fairly soon.

Madigan is a decent outhalf with certain critical flaws that meant his test career never kicked on. In any other country, he would have been kept on but Leinster's priority is to develop test level outhalves and not to settle for good squad players unless they're inexpensive. They are ruthless and it's what ultimately gave Byrne his opportunity.

Madigan didn't go all that well in Bordeaux and was signed by a team which had just been relegated from the Premiership. Hardly a marquee team.

Bristol are relatively poor and Venjur is right. While they may not be literally bottom of the table, they are a long term championship team which has recently broken into the premiership in an up and down, rinse and repeat fashion. They are bottom feeders in a league which has two top teams, a few average ones and then nothing but ****e.

I haven't watched much premiership rugby this year but if Madigan was all that, Bristol would be doing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Guys you're all talking absolute ****e.

They're called the Bristol Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

troyzer wrote: »
    Madigan is a decent outhalf with certain critical flaws that meant his test career never kicked on. In any other country, he would have been kept on but Leinster's priority is to develop test level outhalves and not to settle for good squad players unless they're inexpensive. They are ruthless and it's what ultimately gave Byrne his opportunity.

Madigan didn't go all that well in Bordeaux and was signed by a team which had just been relegated from the Premiership. Hardly a marquee team.

Bristol are relatively poor and Venjur is right. While they may not be literally bottom of the table, they are a long term championship team which has recently broken into the premiership in an up and down, rinse and repeat fashion. They are bottom feeders in a league which has two top teams, a few average ones and then nothing but ****e.

I haven't watched much premiership rugby this year but if Madigan was all that, Bristol would be doing better.

If Madigan was all that, he would be at least consistently 1st choice also, and even for allowing an injury or two earlier in the season, he has not always been that. Bristol do some to favour a younger 10 at times. (his name escapes me right now).

Re Byrne, I think if he wanted to leave now, because he missed out on 6n squad, it would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As others have said, Sexton's career at Leinster is running its course (:-( ) - Byrne is already getting more minutes than most in the squad and has done for the past 2 seasons (inc. being picked ahead of Carbery last year), and given Sexton's injury profile/management, he has started high profile games too (Munster semifinal, Toulouse last week, Montpellier last yr...).

And he has all the creature comforts of playing in his home city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Surely no sane person would swap Madigan for Byrne at Leinster.

I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There’s a lot of insane people out there

Joe Schmidt probably would

Guys you're all talking absolute ****e.

They're called the Bristol Bears

FINALLY someone has the balls to call them out on their shyte. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Joe Schmidt probably would

Then why isn't he playing in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

After SOB was named in the initial 6N squad do we expect to see him this weekend?

He’s obviously in need of game time, and with the Irish squad going to Portugal next week it’s unlikely that he’ll be able to get that against Scarlets.

• Advertisement

After SOB was named in the initial 6N squad do we expect to see him this weekend?

He’s obviously in need of game time, and with the Irish squad going to Portugal next week it’s unlikely that he’ll be able to get that against Scarlets.

I would be shocked if he wasn't at least wearing the 20 jersey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement