Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster issued an injury update ahead of this weeks opening Pro 14 fixture:

Joe Tomane had a foot injury but has recovered.
    Noel Reid injured his quad earlier in pre-season and will return to training this week.
    Garry Ringrose has recovered from his injury suffered in the Australia tour. He'll be back training this week too.

VdF is progressing well from his knee injury and Leinster hope he'll take some part in training this week.
    SoB and Leavy are "recuperating well" from their injuries but no date has been set for a return.

Ciaran Frawley injured his wrist in the Newcastle game and will miss the next few weeks.
    Will Connors damaged his ACL against Newcastle and is out for "an extended period of time".

Ross Byrne has returned to training and should be available for selection.

Hopefully that's not a 6 month for Connors.

I am a bit concerned about Leavys injury and the vagueness of it all. I thought it was a bang on the sternum initially? And now it has turned into a 3-4 month injury? I know we weren't going to see him until week 4-5 anyway but still

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ross Byrne!

Somehow we're looking short on 7s..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good to hear Byrne is available.

I wonder if they looked at Frawley's injury and agreed that he can come back slightly earlier, or if this was always the plan. I'd say he'll be only happy to get a run of games before Europe to try and establish some form before the AIs.

AdamD wrote: »
    Ross Byrne!

Somehow we're looking short on 7s..

Without sounding dramatic.... we have none (unless you count Scott Penny who just did his Leaving Cert)

All of our options at 7 are injured currently.

Ruddock will likely be lining out in that shirt for a good run of games if he is fit.

I know he is more a 6 but to be fair, Leinster have used the "6.5" model for opensides a good bit in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If Carbery is unavailable for Munster, Byrne will be only delighted to get a run of games as soon as possible. The news that Conor Murray is out for the next month or two is only going to hinder Carbery's progress too.

Good news for Leinster though. Makes a big difference to how we can approach the next couple of matches.

Hopefully we'll see something along the lines of:

Dooley, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Doris, Ruddock, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Tomane, ROL, Daly, DK.

More than happy to see guys like Josh Murphy or Adam Byrne in there also.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

SOB injured again? When did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

awec wrote: »

I thought he was healthy by now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Still recovering from the shoulder surgery in April I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He was never fit as far as I know. He had shoulder surgery towards the end of last season, I don't think he has completed his rehab on that yet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Forgot about that. SOB is lucky he isn't a horse.

• Advertisement

Ah I'd say SOB's last hurrah will be Japan and everything is building towards that. Surely they'll be very careful with reintroducing him, it's not like there's any point rushing him back early this season unless they genuinely believe he could play against the kiwis in November.

Don't get me wrong it'd be nice for the kiwis to be able to share the field with a player of SOB's quality for once, but we have to get our priorities straight.

Don't get me wrong it'd be nice for the kiwis to be able to share the field with a player of SOB's quality for once, but we have to get our priorities straight.

Might happen in Japan if the AB's make the final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Might happen in Japan if the AB's make the final.

That's a mighty big IF on their part. Don't reckon they'll break out of the pool! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Good to hear Byrne is available.

I wonder if they looked at Frawley's injury and agreed that he can come back slightly earlier, or if this was always the plan. I'd say he'll be only happy to get a run of games before Europe to try and establish some form before the AIs.

I saw an interview with him last week where he said he really wanted to play as he hasn't played since the semi.

I imagine this was the plan and they might give him a few weeks off when Frawley recovers.

durthacht wrote: »
    I saw an interview with him last week where he said he really wanted to play as he hasn't played since the semi.

I imagine this was the plan and they might give him a few weeks off when Frawley recovers.

He made a good point which I hadn't considered about not playing much rugby.

Obviously the training on tour is still incredibly tough. Joe wouldn't have it any other way. But surely Byrne is fit.

And he's right. He needs to play. If he plays the first 3 games and gets a rest, he is still having minutes managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

He made a good point which I hadn't considered about not playing much rugby.

Obviously the training on tour is still incredibly tough. Joe wouldn't have it any other way. But surely Byrne is fit.

And he's right. He needs to play. If he plays the first 3 games and gets a rest, he is still having minutes managed.

Tour training tends to be more mentally tough with limited contact sessions. Same with Leinster under Joe where training was always said to be really tough but Tuesday was the only full contact day most weeks if I recall correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In wonder will Leinster look for a signing now that Connors is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We went from having the strongest depth at 10 and 7 at the start of last season to being completely barebones the start of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Is there some reason why Leinster aren't applying for a medical joker?

The current situation at 10 certainly would qualify as desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is there some reason why Leinster aren't applying for a medical joker?

The current situation at 10 certainly would qualify as desperate.

Because Byrne and Sexton are fit?

We can go into the Cardiff game with Reid as cover, be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Because Byrne and Sexton are fit?

We can go into the Cardiff game with Reid as cover, be grand.

Reid is currently injured, as is Frawley, and Johnny will be very carefully managed this season.

I'm just wondering is it a wise policy seeing as the irfu are actually very willing to give these out when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We went from having the strongest depth at 10 and 7 at the start of last season to being completely barebones the start of this season.
    Tbh Leinster do have ridiculous depth at 7. Very few sides can boast the quality of player Leinster have in so many positions. It's just very unfortunate all three test class opensides are injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Clegg wrote: »
    Tbh Leinster do have ridiculous depth at 7. Very few sides can boast the quality of player Leinster have in so many positions. It's just very unfortunate all three test class opensides are injured.

Yea but one is perma-crocked and we’ll lose at least one more for half the year to Ireland, so we’re one big injury away from this being the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45322132

Wasps could be without playmaker Jimmy Gopperth for up to nine months after anterior cruciate ligament surgery. The 35-year-old, who can play fly-half or inside centre, who was injured in a pre-season friendly against Connacht, will be out for six to nine months.

Bad luck for Gopperth and Wasps; those pre-season friendlies can be dangerous animals. I assume that Sopoaga will have arrived before they play us in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Turnipman wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45322132

Wasps could be without playmaker Jimmy Gopperth for up to nine months after anterior cruciate ligament surgery. The 35-year-old, who can play fly-half or inside centre, who was injured in a pre-season friendly against Connacht, will be out for six to nine months.

Bad luck for Gopperth and Wasps; those pre-season friendlies can be dangerous animals. I assume that Sopoaga will have arrived before they play us in Europe.

Yep, Sopoaga and Shields are due to arrive this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Confirmed Reid and Frawley are out. The former is back in training this week, the latter is out for a number of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

errlloyd wrote: »
    Confirmed Reid and Frawley are out. The former is back in training this week, the latter is out for a number of weeks.

Where did you see that?

errlloyd wrote: »

Does that say Reid is out though? the42 yesterday said that they're confident he'll come through training and be available.

• Advertisement

Does that say Reid is out though? the42 yesterday said that they're confident he'll come through training and be available.

To be fair, the language isn't the easiest. It says he has come through rehab (past tesnse) but he will return to training this week (future tense).

If that was any other team in the world, I'd conclude he's fully fit and about to go back to training. But it's Leinster....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement