Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If Toulouse beat Racing - where will the semi final be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lansdowne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not all of the 38 man Ireland squad are flying out to Portugal today. Some players will stay with their provinces to gain match fitness. Sexton isn't one of those though. There's a possibility we could see Rob Kearney start against Scarlets. SoB could probably do with another game for fitness, but I can't see him being risked.

Ross Byrne will most likely miss Fridays game. Took a head knock yesterday and Cullen says he's doubtful.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-ireland-sexton-training-camp-4450452-Jan2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Noel Reid or Frawley to start against Scarlets...

The ginga' ninja. Has to be.

Byrne.
    Tracy.
    Bent.
    Moloney.
    Kearney.
    Fardy.
    Murphy.
    Deegan.
    JGP.
    Lowe.
    O'Loughlin.
    COB.
    Daly.
    Keenan.

Byrne.
    Dooley.
    Abdaladze.
    Dowling.
    Doris.
    O'Sullivan.
    Reid.
    JOB.

Something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Frawley I would think, Reid to cover from the bench. HOS, Frawley, whichever O Brien is amazing, ROL, Lowe and Kearney by two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    The ginga' ninja. Has to be.

Byrne.
    Tracy.
    Bent.
    Moloney.
    Kearney.
    Fardy.
    Murphy.
    Deegan.
    JGP.
    Lowe.
    O'Loughlin.
    COB.
    Daly.
    Keenan.

Byrne.
    Dooley.
    Abdaladze.
    Dowling.
    Doris.
    O'Sullivan.
    Reid.
    JOB.

Something like this.

Can't have JGP, Fardy and Lowe in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Byrne I’d imagine, they’re poor but are still only one point off Edinburgh and Treviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

stephen_n wrote: »
    Byrne I’d imagine, they’re poor but are still only one point off Edinburgh and Treviso.

Except Byrne is carrying the knock to the head from yesterday and may be out...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

crisco10 wrote: »
    Except Byrne is carrying the knock to the head from yesterday and may be out...

Oh right, forgot that’s what he went off with yesterday.

With only a five day turnaround, I don't think there's enough time for Byrne to complete the RTPP so we'll have to go with Frawley.

Can't have JGP, Fardy and Lowe in the team

Tits, I forgot.

Drop Fardy then, he's been a warrior lately and Lowe needs some gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Ross Byrne will most likely miss Fridays game. Took a head knock yesterday and Cullen says he's doubtful.

I'd be shocked if he played. That was a savage hit he took and he was out of it immediately. Fortunately, the next game after that isn't until mid-February as he could do with a solid break after a collision like that.

He was going alright yesterday but I thought his distribution looked more like it had done a year ago i.e. it was very rigid and telegraphed. He has a habit of completely turning and planting his body before releasing which he had improved on but he was back at it again yesterday. It was a shame because he defended well and kicked very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

How many quarter finals have been won by the away team?

guapos wrote: »
    How many quarter finals have been won by the away team?

20 quarter finals from 88 have been won by the away side. A significant number of those have involved Irish sides with Leinster, Ulster and Munster all having won quarter finals away from home and lost them at home too.

Bit surprising Joe isn't leaving Henshaw and SOB to get more gametime at Leinster. SOB especially, Henshaw looks match fit as usual after a long injury. I have no idea how he does it. Kearney and McGrath to play on Friday.

Adam Byrne is called up with Conway injured, he absolutely deserves it and hope he pushes for inclusion over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The online reaction to Adam Byrne's performance yesterday is a bit disappointing. He did far more good than bad, but most of the focus was on the defensive lapse. His attacking game was excellent. Turned Elliot Daly inside out at one stage. He thoroughly deserves his call up.

Leaves Leisnter very bare in the outside backs though. We may actually need to bring back Lowe for this even though Fardy is needed as well.

• Advertisement

Leaves Leisnter very bare in the outside backs though. We may actually need to bring back Lowe for this even though Fardy is needed as well.

Daly, Kearney x 2 will be our starting back three, I'd imagine.

10/12/23 to be a some combination of Reid, Frawley and COB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he played. That was a savage hit he took and he was out of it immediately. Fortunately, the next game after that isn't until mid-February as he could do with a solid break after a collision like that.

He was going alright yesterday but I thought his distribution looked more like it had done a year ago i.e. it was very rigid and telegraphed. He has a habit of completely turning and planting his body before releasing which he had improved on but he was back at it again yesterday. It was a shame because he defended well and kicked very well too.

Cullen has essentially ruled him out already.

Up you step there now Ciaran. There's a good lad

The online reaction to Adam Byrne's performance yesterday is a bit disappointing. He did far more good than bad, but most of the focus was on the defensive lapse. His attacking game was excellent. Turned Elliot Daly inside out at one stage. He thoroughly deserves his call up.

It is the fickleness of fans that one error can blot the copybook of an entire 80 minutes (or sometimes an entire career)

I've chatted to a few people who have made their bed on Adams performance after he bit in for Wasps try.

It's madness. Even the quietest players are going to have 30 or so involvements in a game. One mistake should not mean the other 29 were meaningless.

Slightly verging off topic, but it really grinds my gears hearing someone say "Luke McGrath (or someone else) was **** - kicked a box kick too long etc." when he had about 100 involvements in the game and 70+ of them were positive with another 15 having no effect and the remainder being negative.

It is the fickleness of fans that one error can blot the copybook of an entire 80 minutes (or sometimes an entire career)

I've chatted to a few people who have made their bed on Adams performance after he bit in for Wasps try.

It's madness. Even the quietest players are going to have 30 or so involvements in a game. One mistake should not mean the other 29 were meaningless.

Slightly verging off topic, but it really grinds my gears hearing someone say "Luke McGrath (or someone else) was **** - kicked a box kick too long etc." when he had about 100 involvements in the game and 70+ of them were positive with another 15 having no effect and the remainder being negative.

I guess the problem is if the error compounds or seems to confirm the concerns we already had.

For example, if it had been other way around, and Byrne was the inside man and it was Ringrose who bit in, no one would be too bothered because we know Ringrose is an excellent defender.

It's like if Sexton misses a kick at goal, you don't worry too much because you know he'll nail the next six. But if Cronin misses a lineout, you're holding your breath for the next few...

But look, it was a split second decision that Byrne got wrong, I wouldn't be too hard on him for it and he's going off to Portugal with Ireland so it doesn't look to be terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Probable team for Friday?

McGrath Tracy Bent
    Molony Kearney
    Murphy Deegan Penny

JGP Reid
    COB ROL
    Lowe Rob Dave

Byrne, Byrne, Abdaladze, Dowling, Doris, HOS, Frawley, Daly

If Conan and/or Leavy could make it back then that would be a big boost, but depending on whether the Welsh lads are available or not that side could still get the job done.

People have been very quiet on Porter's ball watching as well. That was a very, very soft try.

troyzer wrote: »
    People have been very quiet on Porter's ball watching as well. That was a very, very soft try.

As soft as they come.

But that was also the only time in his career he will ever do that.

I'd rather he did it in a game we'd already won in the Pool Stages than in a tight knockout game!

As soft as they come.

But that was also the only time in his career he will ever do that.

I'd rather he did it in a game we'd already won in the Pool Stages than in a tight knockout game!

Agree. I don't hold it against him at all and people shouldn't hold that miss against Byrne either. The problem is you can't judge him fairly without the baggage of his previously poor form defensively.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You always need to look around yourself. There is no situation where that is not true.

When you jump for the ball you have no obligation to look around. You do so at your own risk, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Byrne switched off much like several others did. Two wasps tries came from players switching off which can happens when the game is a non contest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement