Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'd hate to be a 7 in the modern game, a life spent on with surgeons and physios.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd hate to be a 7 in the modern game, a life spent on with surgeons and physios.
    True. So looking back It's remarkable how many caps McCaw has for New Zealand. He played in one of the most physically taxing positions in rugby and was undoubtedly targeted by the opposition for some extra 'treatment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Leavy does seem quite unlucky with injury. I gather this was the case before he made his breakthrough too. Would be nice to see him get a run again injury free

Frawley? Looks badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

That didnt look forward to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Great time to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jaysus, looking at that list of missing players, I just noticed Tomane. Forgot all about him. I think he's going to struggle to get much playing time next year. The likes of Barry Daly and AB, will keep him out of the squad.

Leinster are 21 points ahead of second place with seven games left. Performances will need to improve a lot, but if we win our next couple of games the pool could be clinched with months to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Lads, didn't catch the match - how did Vakh get on? Was a big fan of his from watching the A games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Lads, didn't catch the match - how did Vakh get on? Was a big fan of his from watching the A games.

Mixed the good with the bad. Made a bullocking, highlight-reel run but then slipped off a tackle that led to a Scarlets break and try. Got pushed back in one scrum, but then was rock solid and putting pressure on in the next one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster are 21 points ahead of second place with seven games left. Performances will need to improve a lot, but if we win our next couple of games the pool could be clinched with months to spare.

Edinburgh have a game in hand against the Kings. Should be a handy 5 pointer. Meaning we’ll be 18 points clear at the end of the weekend. We could well have top spot mathematically down up after the Cheetahs game, but possibly not. We need a max of another 17 points in the last 7 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

True. So looking back It's remarkable how many caps McCaw has for New Zealand. He played in one of the most physically taxing positions in rugby and was undoubtedly targeted by the opposition for some extra 'treatment'.

Something that often gets overlooked with Richie is he took the year out towards the end of his career to prolong it a bit longer (for the World Cup I think?). It's something I think players should consider - ridiculous I know to tell Sean O'Brien - 'Hey Sean, take a year out there, don't worry if JvdF or Leavy tear it up in your absence'... but it's such an attritional sport now, especially for the forwards, I wonder could certain injury prone players look at even taking the first half of the season off?

That said we do try and manage our players better than other nations so maybe we're doing our best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

leakyboots wrote: »

Something that often gets overlooked with Richie is he took the year out towards the end of his career to prolong it a bit longer (for the World Cup I think?). It's something I think players should consider - ridiculous I know to tell Sean O'Brien - 'Hey Sean, take a year out there, don't worry if JvdF or Leavy tear it up in your absence'... but it's such an attritional sport now, especially for the forwards, I wonder could certain injury prone players look at even taking the first half of the season off?

That said we do try and manage our players better than other nations so maybe we're doing our best

David Pocock did the same thing.

You could argue he took three years out between his actual year off and then his two years in Japan. Japanese rugby is nowhere near as gruelling as other leagues.

I think he's doing another year there after the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think the coaches see him as ready. It was notable that they kept Bent on the field until the 70th minute despite him being no more than solid and mostly a loosehead these days.

VA was alright in his cameo. The carry to set up the decisive try will be what's remembered by most.

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think the coaches see him as ready. It was notable that they kept Bent on the field until the 70th minute despite him being no more than solid and mostly a loosehead these days.

VA was alright in his cameo. The carry to set up the decisive try will be what's remembered by most.

He's really, really slow. I couldn't believe how slow he was defensively when setting up and shuffling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

troyzer wrote: »
    He's really, really slow. I couldn't believe how slow he was defensively when setting up and shuffling along.

Thought he was very slow to get up and react before the last scarlets try. Then again, I thought the defending as a whole was poor. The line speed wasn’t great and Scarlets had a lot of time on the ball.

Scott Penny was Leinster's top tackler with 23 completed and 1 missed. He's only 19 but he already looks comfortable at professional level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Assuming Fardy is not resigned, Nagle brought back into the squad?
    I never thought he was much use but, watching him play with Ulster has changed my mind.
    Anybody think Dowling is ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Assuming Fardy is not resigned, Nagle brought back into the squad?
    I never thought he was much use but, watching him play with Ulster has changed my mind.
    Anybody think Dowling is ready?

Nagle and Fardy aren’t even close. Nagle is what he always was a decent player he’s not going to win you big games but that’s okay he’s a squad player. Fardy can be the difference in the biggest games.

Nope. Nagle is useless and hasn't contributed to Leinster at all. I don't know if Dowling is ready, but Nagle certainly isn't the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

After trying to watch the Munster match and turning it off I think we all have to admit

It hits Munster hardest when the Leinster players go to Ireland camp

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    After trying to watch the Munster match and turning it off I think we all have to admit

It hits Munster hardest when the Leinster players go to Ireland camp

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Leinster stuck 50 on the Dragons last international window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster stuck 50 on the Dragons last international window

I looked at the match thread and seemingly it was the ref's fault :p:p:p

It is shocking how many poor ref's Munster get

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the Leinster thread. Stop being a dick.

The Kings beating Edinburgh solidifies Leinster's 21 point lead. Top spot is essentially assured now.

We'll need to keep a few games open for the senior players to reintegrate into the side, but I'm looking forward to seeing the academy lads get plenty of gametime.

The Kings beating Edinburgh solidifies Leinster's 21 point lead. Top spot is essentially assured now.

We'll need to keep a few games open for the senior players to reintegrate into the side, but I'm looking forward to seeing the academy lads get plenty of gametime.

So we're 21 points ahead and Edinburgh have a maximum of 30 left? Is that right?

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So we're 21 points ahead and Edinburgh have a maximum of 30 left? Is that right?
    Edinburgh have a max of 35 left.

14 more points, at the absolute most, guarantees Leinster top spot. But that is only if Treviso bonus point every game.

In reality, Leinster will probably have it sewn up in the next 3 or 4 games.

awec wrote: »
    Edinburgh have a max of 35 left.

14 more points, at the absolute most, guarantees Leinster top spot. But that is only if Treviso bonus point every game.

In reality, Leinster will probably have it sewn up in the next 3 or 4 games.

I see. And Treviso and Edinburgh still have to play both each other and Leinster.

Leinster will probably clinch it after that visit to Murrayfield at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The reality is that we should have top spot fully nailed down in the next 3 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    The reality is that we should have top spot fully nailed down in the next 3 games.

Zebre away, Kings and Cheetahs at home is next 3 games. Given how other fixtures fall 2 wins will be enough unless one club wins all 7 remaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement