Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    And Brad Thorn. He was a pretty good lock if my memory serves me correctly. In fact, I don't think he was even 6'5".

There are always going to be exceptions.

Itoje is a generational athlete. A really unbelievable specimen.

Same with Brad Thorn. You don't play until you're 40 without being made of different stuff.

I don't think it's as simple as "if you're below this height you wont make it"

But I do think it is a case of "if you're below this height and haven't played this position before and are 23 this year - you probably wont make it"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Always found it interesting how much stock people put in these reported weights given they’re up and down constantly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/why-not-have-a-look-mitchell-calls-on-giteau-law-rethink/news-story/a94c9dbd17c11625e3a14ee67494d327?&nk=26f93fefb97d1fa63e800ee5f097c9bf-1549535238

Drew Mitchell calling on Cheika to rethink the 60 cap rule for overseas players with the Aussies, and Fardy was name dropped.

Would be a pain in the arse if we re-signed him and he gets a call up during the international windows, although it'd be more than deserved for his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He would have a lot to offer and the introduction of the Giteau rule helped Australia get to the 2015 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It would kill me as I think Fardy is excellent but if he’s going to the WC then it would be wrong to give him the year extension.
    I doubt Australia will change the rule now though.

• Advertisement

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/why-not-have-a-look-mitchell-calls-on-giteau-law-rethink/news-story/a94c9dbd17c11625e3a14ee67494d327?&nk=26f93fefb97d1fa63e800ee5f097c9bf-1549535238

Drew Mitchell calling on Cheika to rethink the 60 cap rule for overseas players with the Aussies, and Fardy was name dropped.

Would be a pain in the arse if we re-signed him and he gets a call up during the international windows, although it'd be more than deserved for his form.

This was like the game of cat and mouse with Douglas last RWC where Australia said they were going to pick him and Leinster said they were happy to release him for the tournament and looked forward to having him back upon it's conclusion and it was all very weird until Australia just signed him again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be very surprised if they changed the rule and, if they did, I'd be even more surprised if that selected Fardy.

His last game for Australia was in November 2016. They declined to select him for Australia for the 2017 RC or their June tests in favour of others and looking ahead. He clearly wasn't viewed as a critical player for them at that point so I don't think playing in Europe (where he's not first choice) is going to change that regardless of how well he has performed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Fardy seems comfortable in Ireland so think he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Any indication of when Joe tomane is back? looking forward to seeing more of him despite the few shakey games he had before getting injured. Think once he settles in again and gets his defense in check he could be a really valuable addition to the squad.

Any indication of when Joe tomane is back? looking forward to seeing more of him despite the few shakey games he had before getting injured. Think once he settles in again and gets his defense in check he could be a really valuable addition to the squad.

He got a 5 monther in early November. Had surgery and all on his hamstring

Puts him back in for late March/ early April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

He got a 5 monther in early November. Had surgery and all on his hamstring

Puts him back in for late March/ early April

He could be making an appearance sooner than that. He's back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Twitter account saying Sean o brien to London Irish post World Cup, not the most reliable source but still

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Twitter account saying Sean o brien to London Irish post World Cup, not the most reliable source but still

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1093554738916929536?s=19

Burkie1203 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1093554738916929536?s=19

Have they been right before? It doesn't make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd suspect we'll start hearing a lot more rumours over the next couple months about a load of players, central contracts are up after the RWC so loads of agents will be drip feeding and putting out feelers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Currently london irish are linked with:

adam coleman, paddy jackson, steve mafi and sean o brien... having already signed curtis rona and nick phipps

les kiss and deccie seem to be doing some great business before the premiership door shuts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

troyzer wrote: »
    Have they been right before? It doesn't make much sense to me.

No rugby reason to do make that move. Would purely be for the €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No loss.

Just on this.

He's said before that his goal would be finish up after the 2021 Lions tour. He's clearly not going to make the 2023 world cup.

But would he be eligible for the Lions if he's in London? Do they ever pick exiles for lack of a better phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would be gutting to see him go but I’d imagine if it’s true he’s looking st a two year contract to finish out his career with a bit of a pay day. Oddly Leinster would miss him less than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Clegg wrote: »
    No loss.

I'm going to save this one for later in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just on this.

He's said before that his goal would be finish up after the 2021 Lions tour. He's clearly not going to make the 2023 world cup.

But would he be eligible for the Lions if he's in London? Do they ever pick exiles for lack of a better phrase?
    Yes. Has there not been several who would be like him in last few squads?
    Shane Williams was only going to commentate on last tour and was picked for a game....

Just on this.

Yes. Has there not been several who would be like him in last few squads?
    Shane Williams was only going to commentate on last tour and was picked for a game....

If that's the case then the move might make sense.

Says goodbye to Ireland after winning a World cup. Takes a big money, two year deal in England to restore the Irish to greatness.

And then sails into a South African sunset.

That might be his plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No loss.

Tell me this is a joke that whooshed over my head

No loss.

I'm trying to find out if it's an elaborate pun.

No loss.

Leinster won the double without him. For the last few seasons he's been saving himself for test and lions duty. Don't have a problem if he moves to a different club.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster won the double without him. For the last few seasons he's been saving himself for test and lions duty. Don't have a problem if he moves to a different club.

:|

I don't know where to begin, For starters he is employed by the IRFU, the pinnacle for a player in that organisation is test level rugby and it is the effective environment for a player to make an impact for their employer.

SoB has played 40 times for Leinster in the last 6 years. That's a dreadful record. Given the strength in depth we have at 7 I don't have a problem with him leaving the province. We'll just have to do without him. What we've essentially been doing for years anyway.

• Advertisement

There is one more subtle point, he is on a central contract with the IRFU. So he is very little cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement