Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster won the double without him. For the last few seasons he's been saving himself for test and lions duty. Don't have a problem if he moves to a different club.

No we didn't. He was immense in the wins over Exeter.

He hasn't been saving himself, he's been injured.

Jesus. Shiny New Thing syndrome out of control. No one we have is half the player he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Think Leavy is on his way to becoming the new SOB. He was unstoppable last season. Been very unlucky with injuries this year.

Still though, I'd be gutted if Seanie left. Hope he plays out the rest of his career with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster won the double without him. For the last few seasons he's been saving himself for test and lions duty. Don't have a problem if he moves to a different club.

No we didn't. He was immense in the wins over Exeter.

He hasn't been saving himself, he's been injured.

Jesus. Shiny New Thing syndrome out of control. No one we have is half the player he is.
    I've posted before how I think when he's fit he's the best backrow in Europe. But he's almost never fit. For me Leinster are far better off building without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This surely has to be the next 'poison' moment in a few months time where we'll look back and laugh uncontrollably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

This surely has to be the next 'poison' moment in a few months time where we'll look back and laugh uncontrollably.

Who was it that originally said that about Lowe?

• Advertisement

Since 2013 SoB has averaged less than 7 games per season for Leinster.

I've not once doubted his quality. He's brilliant. But we've seen him so fleetingly what's the point in missing what we barely had?

I've not once doubted his quality. He's brilliant. But we've seen him so fleetingly what's the point in missing what we barely had?

To be honest, it's hard to argue with you on this.

It's indisputable that SOB for the most part has been non-existent.

But getting a world class player, seven games a year for free is not nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »

.ak, and he's gone missing ever since.....

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Doubt it

Sure who’d look after the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah. And during that period we've developed more depth at 7 than any team in Europe has ever had.

Almost, strangely, as if having world class players training with you benefits everyone around them.

Imagine someone seeing no downside in losing that. From a player who is on a central contract! One of the worst takes this season!

• Advertisement

So the the real benefit of SoB for Leinster has been seen on the training ground? He's made these lads better by osmosis? I get the argument that having quality players run against you makes you better. I'm not talking about that though. Purely from an on pitch perspective I said losing him wouldn't be a loss and I'll stick by it. He's a Leinster player that barely plays for Leinster.

I've stressed again and again that I think he's brilliant, but I've zero problem with him leaving. Get rid of the uncertainly. It doesn't mean that I want him to leave. I want all of our greats to stay here their entire careers. But if he's happy to go that's fine too.

11055475_824868530925683_1426978726_n-752x501.jpg

So the the real benefit of SoB for Leinster has been seen on the training ground? He's made these lads better by osmosis? I get the argument that having quality players run against you make should better. I'm not talking about that though. Purely from an on pitch perspective I said losing him wouldn't be a loss and I'll stick by it. He's a Leinster player that barely plays for Leinster.

No You said losing him was no loss. You did not qualify it in any way. So if you want to retract that a little that's fine, but even getting one of the best players in the world 7 games a season on a central contract is an incredible deal.

And no, I did not say he made them better by osmosis. And I did not say it was the real benefit. Complete straw man stuff. Might have been very convenient if I had said that, but I didn't.

So the the real benefit of SoB for Leinster has been seen on the training ground? He's made these lads better by osmosis? I get the argument that having quality players run against you make should better. I'm not talking about that though. Purely from an on pitch perspective I said losing him wouldn't be a loss and I'll stick by it. He's a Leinster player that barely plays for Leinster.

No You said losing him was no loss. You did not qualify it in any way. So if you want to retract that a little that's fine, but even getting one of the best players in the world 7 games a season on a central contract is an incredible deal.

And no, I did not say he made them better by osmosis. And I did not say it was the real benefit. Complete straw man stuff. Might have been very convenient if I had said that, but I didn't.
    I stressed my point enough in subsequent posts that I was talking about his lack of on pitch time as the main reason why I don't think we'll miss him. That's not a retraction. That's the development of a point.

You even quoted a post I made that specifically refences gametime over a 6 year period. You made reference to the help he's been to other Leinster opensides during training. So when quoting you, in the context of this thread, I'm lead to believe that you're then saying he has these huge benefits in training seeing as he's not on the pitch. And this is the straw man?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He was very good in love/hate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If true, good luck to him. He should get a nice paycheck over there.
    I think he's close to the end of his career and he'll be lucky to play a couple of more seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Where are London Irish getting all this cash from? Guess nothing is official til confirmed so would be skeptical til then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wouldn't begrudge him looking to fatten his bank account.
    A change of scenery may do him good.
    Besides, he must be aware that his body can't possibly hold up to the grind and trauma he goes through. London Irish will most likely give him a healthy pay raise and after the horrific run of injuries, he deserves to max out his earnings.

There's an actual figure now, wild speculative rumours are rarely so specific. It will be really hard to see him go, I was hoping he could be a Leinster lifer.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusive-obrien-set-for-big-money-move-to-london-irish
    The latest player to be linked with the club is none other than Leinster and Ireland flanker Sean O’Brien, with RugbyPass understanding that the London-based club are ready to offer O’Brien a three-year deal, with a salary of £450k, as they look to re-establish themselves in the Premiership in 2019/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bloody good luck to him if true, ideal twilight move, he owes Leinster nothing and it'd be brilliant to see him support the rebuilding of the 5th Province.

Bit of a commute to feed the livestock though!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bloody good luck to him if true, ideal twilight move, he owes Leinster nothing and it'd be brilliant to see him support the rebuilding of the 5th Province.

Bit of a commute to feed the livestock though!

He's probably strong enough to put the farm on his back and relocate it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There's an actual figure now, wild speculative rumours are rarely so specific. It will be really hard to see him go, I was hoping he could be a Leinster lifer.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusive-obrien-set-for-big-money-move-to-london-irish

Wild speculative rumours are constantly specific, just never accurate.

Obviously it might happen, but there is no point in putting any stock in rumours at this time of year unless they come from a particularly reliable source, which this isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Friend is Leinster has said the announcement on Sean O’Brien will be made tomorrow, seems like very poor timing to me.

Sudolife wrote: »
    Friend is Leinster has said the announcement on Sean O’Brien will be made tomorrow, seems like very poor timing to me.

An announcement on a Saturday? Doesn't seem likely.

Sudolife wrote: »

You’re friends with Leinster!?

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The SOB thing is a bit of a weird rumour, almost makes me believe it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

He'll finish at around 60 caps for Ireland if he goes since his debut in 2009.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've a feeling it was a mod with a penchant for avocado who's been fairly quiet lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Christ, Brexit's hitting London harder than Venjur led us to believe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement