Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Sudolife wrote: »
    Friend is Leinster has said the announcement on Sean O’Brien will be made tomorrow, seems like very poor timing to me.

The day he is due to start a 6 nations game?

Not a chance it's being announced tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

awec wrote: »
    The SOB thing is a bit of a weird rumour, almost makes me believe it more.

It's absolutely not the kind of move London Irish should be making. They should be using the cash to build a solid squad instead of marquee signings. You're right, though. People with too much money don't usually give a **** about the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dregin wrote: »
    It's absolutely not the kind of move London Irish should be making. They should be using the cash to build a solid squad instead of marquee signings. You're right, though. People with too much money don't usually give a **** about the long term.

Yes and no, they'll need those marquee signings and big names going into the Premiership next year as there's a tendency for teams to get in and fall straight back down to the bottom without them.

Very few of the Premiership clubs ever look long term, it's always immediate results first.

Yes and no, they'll need those marquee signings and big names going into the Premiership next year as there's a tendency for teams to get in and fall straight back down to the bottom without them.

Very few of the Premiership clubs ever look long term, it's always immediate results first.

Sorry for stating the bleedin obvious, but 1 player does not a team make. Unless of course they're going to make Marquee signings across all positions. Lunatics.

Sorry for stating the bleedin obvious, but 1 player does not a team make. Unless of course they're going to make Marquee signings across all positions. Lunatics.

Yeah SOB isn't the only one linked with them recently. Over the past couple weeks there has to be at least 10 marquee players linked to LI. They're pulling a Bristol it seems.

• Advertisement

I don't think a marquee player like SOB is *just* about team improvement though.

There's the arses on seats factor that comes into it also.

If the Not-Nots are looking to tap into more of the Diaspora over there, someone like SOB would be a real asset for that. A big Irish name like that might tip the scales of someone in 2 minds about going to see a game etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

SOB is contracted til after RWC anyways? Might make a bit more sense so. It could also be an agent putting it out there to try negotiate better contract post RWC..

Eod100 wrote: »
    SOB is contracted til after RWC anyways? Might make a bit more sense so. It could also be an agent putting it out there to try negotiate better contract post RWC..

Would he get a decent contract though?

I can't see the IRFU or more likely Leinster offering him half of what he is on

Would he get a decent contract though?

I can't see the IRFU or more likely Leinster offering him half of what he is on

Wouldn't expect them to match LI's supposed wage. He's probably on similar now but post RWC is different story. If it helps top up his new contract by few bob, could be worth a try. I hope if does go he gets to play and it's not another POC situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's confirmed that SoB will leave for London Irish after the world cup.

https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london-irish-ireland-4483555-Feb2019/?utm_source=shortlink

• Advertisement

The42 reporting it as fact. To be confirmed next week. Odd timing all the same. Why not wait til after 6N? https://www.the42.ie/sean-obrien-london-irish-ireland-4483555-Feb2019/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Goodnight, sweet prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The42 understands O’Brien’s future move will not have any impact on his status as part of Joe Schmidt’s Ireland squad through until the World Cup.

Right, who's getting the popcorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »

I just said to a mate on whatsapp "The internet is going to ****ing implode when he continues to get picked"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Worst thing the media ever did was hype Zebo up to a ridiculous level.

Buer wrote: »

Was Zebo on a central contract? Guess also bit different in a RWC year.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I just said to a mate on whatsapp "The internet is going to ****ing implode when he continues to get picked"

I can't wait for Sexton to get dragged into it and turn it into the IRFU favouring Leinster.

While it wont be enough to placate people online who just want a whinge....

I think the SOB and Zebo situations are completely different.

Zebo agreed to leave as a 27 year old in his prime likely turning down a significant (but still less than Racing) wage increase.

SOB is a battered and bruised 32 year old who would be going straight onto a reduced contract where it is unlikely the IRFU or Leinster battled too hard to keep him

Seanies target was always the RWC at a minimum. Zebo up sticks and left bang smack in the middle of the RWC cycle

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In fairness it absolutely is hypocritical and contravenes these supposed rules if he does continue to get picked.

In fairness it absolutely is hypocritical and contravenes these supposed rules if he does continue to get picked.

IRFU central contract model is largely based around the RWC cycle.

SOB will finish after it, which he has been building towards. And there is a likely succession plan for after - whether or not he was playing in Ireland.

Zebo left in the middle of a RWC cycle. With plenty of time to have a succession plan prior to the RWC thus negating the need for his services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

When a players on a central contract aren't they being paid to play for Ireland first and foremost, and province second? So the IRFU can claim they are getting what they paid for

Where as a provincial contract is to make yourself available to play for Ireland*

*Semantics I know

Also Paul O'Connell stayed till after a World Cup, Bests contract as of right now is to the end of the world cup should he be dropped if he announces his retirement??

When a players on a central contract aren't they being paid to play for Ireland first and foremost, and province second? So the IRFU can claim they are getting what they paid for

Where as a provincial contract is to make yourself available to play for Ireland*

*Semantics I know

Also Paul O'Connell stayed till after a World Cup, Bests contract as of right now is to the end of the world cup should he be dropped if he announces his retirement??

Yep, that O'Connell deal was announced in June (and was certainly finalised quite a bit before that)

Yet he played until the RWC.

Can't bloody wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How so? He will have played for Leinster up until the World Cup, same as all the other Leinster players in the squad. None of them will train with or play with Leinster till after the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

*Semantics I know

This might not be Semantics. If I recall correctly players on provincial deals get paid an appearance bonus when they get Ireland caps. Players on central deals don't. So effectively the IRFU save money by picking SOB over say Leavy. Whereas with Zebo they had to pay him per appearance. I think it could be in the tune of a few grand a game.

But I could also be completely wrong about how this works. I just remember people moaning back in the day that the IRFU only picked centrally contracted players for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

should he be dropped if he announces his retirement??

I think the point is that many feel no one should be dropped for consideration regardless of future intentions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Is it though? POC wasn't jettisoned when he announced he was abandoning Munster for Toulon and he who shall not be named was never a Joe regular

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think people can try spin and talk about central deals or whatever, but at the end of the day if a player announces he is leaving and continues to get picked then it is absolutely one rule for one and another rule for another.

Either the IRFU pick players who sign contracts elsewhere or they do not. They made their position pretty clear on Zebo only last year, not really sure why it should be any different for O'Brien. POC was ages ago like Sexton, so not really relevant.

The optics are certainly not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So it begins.

Come on awec. You're better than this.

• Advertisement

IRFU central contract model is largely based around the RWC cycle.

SOB will finish after it, which he has been building towards. And there is a likely succession plan for after - whether or not he was playing in Ireland.

Zebo left in the middle of a RWC cycle. With plenty of time to have a succession plan prior to the RWC thus negating the need for his services

This is the difference. SOB will be in Ireland until RWC. Zebo was going to be in France and so Schmidt had to plan that he was gone as wouldn't have same access even if he was in the running to get selected. And with Stockdale getting experience fair to say it was successful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement