Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

An interesting point, invented completely off the top of your head.

I've since deleted the comment as any mentions of that player on any thread in the rugby forum may receive an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So sports should be exempt from employment law?

That's an interesting point to argue.

Zebo was contracted to Munster. Playing for a national team is subjective upon the national body. There is no obligation to select a player. He was paid by his employer and picked to play for Munster until his contract expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Zebo was contracted to Munster. Playing for a national team is subjective upon the national body. There is no obligation to select a player. He was paid by his employer and picked to play for Munster until his contract expired.

I recommend that you delete your post as any discussion of this topic will receive infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm pretty sure someone on the forum tried to make the employment law argument way back when Zebo made his decision to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ah bollocks.

That's Lowe out against Ulster then, there's no way he'll get a run out. We'll need Fardy and JGP.

Leinster are being battered recently with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well players are contractors, not permanent employees so there's that.

There's no breach of employment law here, and certainly no breach of contract.

Provincial players aren't directly contracted by the IRFU either. They're contracted to the province, which are subsidiaries and the IRFU just bankrolls and signs off.

If a player was excluded by a province, and not on a central contract, then yes they would certainly have a case. But other than that, no. There's no entitlement to play for the international team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So it looks like the SOB rumour is true. I wish the guy well - he has dogged with injuries, and has hardly played for Leinster in recent years, so maybe the move will be the making of him. Leinster can take that hit, and it should help us to hold on to our young back row players. I'm just really surprised he is going to London Irish - he won't be playing Champions Cup rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The IRFU's limit on NIQ players would be an issue long before selection for the national team would be were the employment law angle to have any merit. It doesn't though.

Seems like a pretty **** move for LI all in all. It is a lot of money for a player who has shown no ability to stay fit for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

vienne86 wrote: »
    So it looks like the SOB rumour is true. I wish the guy well - he has dogged with injuries, and has hardly played for Leinster in recent years, so maybe the move will be the making of him. Leinster can take that hit, and it should help us to hold on to our young back row players. I'm just really surprised he is going to London Irish - he won't be playing Champions Cup rugby.

A year out of Heino Cup and test rugby could be just the salve he needs to get a few more years of a career. Great things are starting to happen at Irish, I guess the idea is to be playing Champions Cup the next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A year out of Heino Cup and test rugby could be just the salve he needs to get a few more years of a career. Great things are starting to happen at Irish, I guess the idea is to be playing Champions Cup the next year.

A year out from HCup rugby will see him being 33 going into his potentially a shot at more of it. Anyway, great things were supposedly happening at Bristol when they were in the Championship and look at them now. It will be a long shot he ever plays HCup rugby again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

vienne86 wrote: »

Best of luck to him, he's entitled to maximize his earnings given he probably doesnt have that long left in the game.
    I dont honestly think the Champions Cup is viewed in the same light over there as here for whatever reasons. Their priority presumably will be to stay up initially and their domestic league will be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

rm75 wrote: »
    Best of luck to him, he's entitled to maximize his earnings given he probably doesnt have that long left in the game.
    I dont honestly think the Champions Cup is viewed in the same light over there as here for whatever reasons. Their priority presumably will be to stay up initially and their domestic league will be the priority.

Oh dear, an Irish provincial player faced with the prospect of the dreaded relegation.

I think he might melt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

rm75 wrote: »

Champions Cup is viewed highly in the UK. However, a club like the Not-Nots will be looking to stay up in the division for 2-3 seasons before they even think about European rugby (challenge or otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think post rwc his salary would have been cut anyway.
    Leinster would not pay him anything close to what's been rumored from L.I.
    Also, P.J has been linked to L.I.
    Seanie is trying to maximize his earnings, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I've since deleted the comment as any mentions of that player on any thread in the rugby forum may receive an infraction.

Might also prevent an infarction.........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I can't speak highly enough of sob, to come from where he came from with all the apparent disadvantages of not coming from a wealthy or schools rugby background , to be one of the best players in the world consistently for over a decade is inspiring ****. He has proven again that any kid with talent and enough grit and determination can do it with a little help from their friends and family.

It was a privilege to watch him, I hope he sets himself up for life financially.

I can't speak highly enough of sob, to come from where he came from with all the apparent disadvantages of not coming from a wealthy or schools rugby background , to be one of the best players in the world consistently for over a decade is inspiring ****. He has proven again that any kid with talent and enough grit and determination can do it with a little help from their friends and family.

It was a privilege to watch him, I hope he sets himself up for life financially.

Nah, it's elitist and we should be cheering on England who definitely aren't stacked with private school players.

So.... Reid may be off and SOB also. Lots of talent gone out the door recently, with little coming in!
    Fardy has got to be retained! I don't think we can sign an niq as good right now.
    I reckon Nagle may be brought back if Fardy is released. Although, Dowling may get promoted.
    Lots of questions arising for the squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

SOB is SOB, but let's be honest, he hasn't been a forefront player for Leinster for a good year or two. Reid has been a very good servant, but again, not critical or even 'important' to Leinster prospects. Leinster can happily live without either.

Maybe, but after last season's retirees and getting only Tomane, who has been terrible, then losing 2 more lads. We're losing 8 guys and have bought in 2. Kelleher and Tomane!
    Strauss, Nacewa obviously being the main losses.
    Jordi Murphy wouldn't be a bad player to have around also!!!
    We're getting far less in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The conveyor belt helps.

Fardy stays, we're happy days at second row. Front row, we're grand. Back row, not even funny how grand we are, even losing SOB and Nordi.
    Ok at the two halves. Centres, first choice is top notch, maybe need a reliable backup or two. Wings, we're fine, 15 again fine.

And that's if nothing changes, and Reid, SOB leave. We'll still be solid.

Let's not pretend that the IRFU aren't going to let Leinster sign someone if they want, given the transfers in the last year or two. We're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I remember the relief I felt when SOB signed his last four year deal with Leinster, amidst strong rumors he was going to Toulon. Fast forward to the present day, and not only will we cope with his departure but we've arguably been operating without him for well over a year. Best of luck to him, and a testament to Leinster's continuing development that we can carry on without him.

I reckon COB will get a contract. JOB too hopefully. As far as Kelly, I don't know. He may be let go.
    I hope they promote Penny. The lad is class.
    I haven't seen much of Dowling, but I recall him from the u20's.
    He was decent and could be a good player. Maybe not an international, but another Molony! That would do nicely.
    Hugo Keenan would be worth a punt also imo.
    Next week, we have to win and get the bonus points.
    I think we'll have Jack McGrath back and Leavy should be healthier. Ross Byrne will also be available and having Barry Daly back is great.
    I hope we bust a cricket score on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Looking at our depth for next season and omitting SOB and Reid:

LH: Healy, McGrath, Byrne, Dooley
    HK: Cronin, Tracey, Byrne
    TH: Furlong, Porter, Bent, Abdaladze
    LK: Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Molony, Kearney, Dowling
    BS: Ruddock, Connors, Murphy
    N8: Conan, Deegan, Doris

SH: McGrath, JGP, HOS, Patterson
    OH: Sexton, Byrne, Frawley
    IC: Henshaw, Tomane, COB
    OC: Ringrose, ROL
    WG: Lowe, Byrne, Daly, Dave, McFadden, JOB, Kelleher
    FB: Rob, Larmour, Keenan

Depending on who comes out of the Academy next season on top of the above we don’t really have too many gaps that we need to fill. If you consider the kind of side that we’re likely to field during the RWC:

Byrne Tracy Bent
    Molony Fardy
    Deegan Doris Leavy

JGP Byrne
    COB ROL
    Lowe Dave Byrne

Byrne, Dooley, Abdaladze, Kearney, Connors, HOS, Frawley, Daly

We need Abdaladze to step up given Bents age and we might need to look at our FB options given Robs age and possible retirement. Other that that we’re grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If you look at squad it SOB to leave or Penny would go, SOB plays how many games for Leinster and another bad injury and he might have to retire

Penny is at start of career which looks promising, from an business point of view it makes sense to let SOB go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone think McFaddenmight be next to go? He is getting on and recent injury record isnot great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Maybe, but after last season's retirees and getting only Tomane, who has been terrible, then losing 2 more lads. We're losing 8 guys and have bought in 2. Kelleher and Tomane!.

Thats not how it works. We have brought in Doris, O'Sullivan, Penny, O'Brien, Dowling, Dunne, Kelly, O'Sullivan and Patterson. All with senior time. Last years academy guys get more time. We are never going to be a club that signs 8 players. We are going to sign one or two, grow five or six and sell off the surplus.

I don't think there's any chance we keep Dooley. He'll be wearing white next season.

Losing SOB hurts in that it just feels wrong. An end of an era. But he can still finish like Isa holding the trophy in Newcastle and if that happens, I don't mind him riding off into the sunset.

As long as he doesn't play in the RDS for the Irish. That would be gut wrenching.

It's hard to know if Penny is going to be a superstar. He's been excellent so far but he's ultimately very small and his toughest games have been Pro14 games against other seconds and academy players. If I'm not mistaken, has he played a proper senior fixture yet against a first team? He might be great but he's very short for a loosehead. Some of the greats like Pocock are also short but Pocock is fairly unique.

I think we're in fairly good shape for next season. There are a few concerns at depth in certain positions.

Hooker is going to be an issue going forward, Cronin isn't going to be around much longer and there's a huge drop off to Tracy and Byrne. They're both adequate and can do a job in the Pro14 but they're hardly European elite level.

Lock is a concern if Fardy goes. We have the best starting lock pairing in the world but historically there's not much after that. I think Moloney and Kearney have both grown this season though so maybe it'll be fine.

Hugh O'Sullivan needs to kick on or we're going to start looking thin at 9. JGP has been terrific this season and it's not impossible that we lose two 9s to Ireland. I'd be very worried in that case.

Centre is grand now with COB coming along and hopefully Tomane comes back strong. Bit long in the tooth at wing with Kearney and McFadden and not much going on at the academy. This might be a concern, hopefully Kelleher goes well.

Fullback is the only other worry. This is probably Kearney's last season in Leinster and we still don't have a nailed on replacement. Larmour needs more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dooley is already signed up for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

molloyjh wrote: »
    If you consider the kind of side that we’re likely to field during the RWC:

Byrne Tracy Bent
    Molony Fardy
    Deegan Doris Leavy

JGP Byrne
    COB ROL
    Lowe Dave Byrne

Byrne, Dooley, Abdaladze, Kearney, Connors, HOS, Frawley, Daly

We need Abdaladze to step up given Bents age and we might need to look at our FB options given Robs age and possible retirement. Other that that we’re grand.

You don't think Leavy will make the World Cup squad? I thought he was player of the tournament in the 2018 Six Nations. Can't see him being left behind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement