Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    Dooley is already signed up for next season.

Carbery was signed up for this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Synode wrote: »
    You don't think Leavy will make the World Cup squad? I thought he was player of the tournament in the 2018 Six Nations. Can't see him being left behind

He’ll probably go based on injuries but with only likely 5 back rows traveling he could miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There's no comparison between Carbery's situation and Dooley's. Leinster would have to voluntarily release Dooley with no pressure from above.

There's no comparison between Carbery's situation and Dooley's. Leinster would have to voluntarily release Dooley with no pressure from above.

I can see pressure from above happening. Dooley is a quality loosehead and simply isn't getting enough minutes. It would certainly make sense from an IRFU perspective to move him to Ulster who are desperately scouring the planet for an Irish qualified loosehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

troyzer wrote: »
    I can see pressure from above happening. Dooley is a quality loosehead and simply isn't getting enough minutes. It would certainly make sense from an IRFU perspective to move him to Ulster who are desperately scouring the planet for an Irish qualified loosehead.

We’re all very quick to say what should happen but it’s very possible in fact it’s likely that Ulster have been in touch already. It’s also possible that Dooley has no interest and it’s already been shot down from his end.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

We’re all very quick to say what should happen but it’s very possible in fact it’s likely that Ulster have been in touch already. It’s also possible that Dooley has no interest and it’s already been shot down from his end.

Of course and it could be for him that he sees this as a waiting game. Healy might be part of the post world cup exodus and McGrath hasn't been the same since the Lions tour.

He might fancy himself as the backup loosehead come this September and then it's all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Forgot about Kelleher so have added him in. Ferg and Dave could both be gone in the near future but I reckon they’ll both still be around next season anyway.

As for Leavy making the RWC, he might do. But not all of Ruddock, VDF, Leavy and Conan will unless we’ve a few injuries.

Why do Ulster need to look for an Irish qualified loosehead? They have the space for a NIQ prop next season.

Dooley would be no better than EOS who has been excellent this season and is younger.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty sure we've already asked Dooley before. He said no, so next step is hopefully a NIQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Keenan can play either wing! I think he's going to be retained.
    Ferg is getting older, he's going to be 33! He may go elsewhere for a payday!
    Penny has been very good. Not sure what his ceiling will be, but he is looking good.
    Losing Fardy would be criminal! He's just phenomenal!
    Dowling has gotten a little exposure, so they may think he's ready.
    Will Connors will be also available, so there's plenty of options for the back row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    Looking at our depth for next season and omitting SOB and Reid:

LH: Healy, McGrath, Byrne, Dooley
    HK: Cronin, Tracey, Byrne
    TH: Furlong, Porter, Bent, Abdaladze
    LK: Toner, Ryan, Fardy, Molony, Kearney, Dowling
    BS: Ruddock, Connors, Murphy
    N8: Conan, Deegan, Doris

SH: McGrath, JGP, HOS, Patterson
    OH: Sexton, Byrne, Frawley
    IC: Henshaw, Tomane, COB
    OC: Ringrose, ROL
    WG: Lowe, Byrne, Daly, Dave, McFadden, JOB, Kelleher
    FB: Rob, Larmour, Keenan

Depending on who comes out of the Academy next season on top of the above we don’t really have too many gaps that we need to fill. If you consider the kind of side that we’re likely to field during the RWC:

Byrne Tracy Bent
    Molony Fardy
    Deegan Doris Leavy

JGP Byrne
    COB ROL
    Lowe Dave Byrne

Byrne, Dooley, Abdaladze, Kearney, Connors, HOS, Frawley, Daly

We need Abdaladze to step up given Bents age and we might need to look at our FB options given Robs age and possible retirement. Other that that we’re grand.

Hearing that one front rower is leaving in May and Leinster are looking at one NIQ signing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Unless Dooley has become Irish second choice in his position while simultaneously being played out of position by Leinster then there is no chance of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If the goal is to dominate Europe we definitely have to sign at least one niq international Marquee player post world cup. There isn't much between racing,saracens and leinster as is, post world cup many internationals will retire and fill the French and English teams.

If the goal is to dominate Europe we definitely have to sign at least one niq international Marquee player post world cup. There isn't much between racing,saracens and leinster as is, post world cup many internationals will retire and fill the French and English teams.

There's no point picking up an NIQ for the sake of it. They have to be the right fit.

I wouldn't mind a top class hooker but I doubt the likes of Marx would be in our price range even if he was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Is there a possibility / likelihood of Fardy being called into the Aussie world cup squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster shouldn't have a problem attracting a decent NIE player. The money is there and the setup is by all accounts fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Ryan Baird will soon force his way into contention had a bad year with injury but he looks to be the real deal and will be James Ryans lomg term partner at second row. Chairlie Ryan as well will be pushing Dowling & Mick Kearney

Ronan Kelleher also making great strides and definetley part of the senior set up next year also his brother Cian back to Leinster as well. With worl cup would expect to see most of them in a senior shirt early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I wouldn't mind a top class hooker but I doubt the likes of Marx would be in our price range even if he was available.

I don't think there's any chance we'll be looking to sign a hooker next season. Cronin has a couple of seasons left in him at least and we'll have Tracy and Byrne behind him who are ok. There's a lot of hope around Ronan Kelleher and he hasn't even made his debut yet.

We're well covered up front overall. If we do go into the market for a NIQ signing post World Cup (which I'm not convinced we will), we will almost certainly go for a back. Personally, I'd be looking at a top quality 15 if I could get one.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Serbian wrote: »
    I don't think there's any chance we'll be looking to sign a hooker next season. Cronin has a couple of seasons left in him at least and we'll have Tracy and Byrne behind him who are ok. There's a lot of hope around Ronan Kelleher and he hasn't even made his debut yet.

We're well covered up front overall. If we do go into the market for a NIQ signing post World Cup (which I'm not convinced we will), we will almost certainly go for a back. Personally, I'd be looking at a top quality 15 if I could get one.

We've already got two NIQ back three players. No chance we'll be allowed make another one.

Serbian wrote: »

Barrett-Sabbatical_zpsrkk9cjum.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Ryan Baird will soon force his way into contention had a bad year with injury but he looks to be the real deal and will be James Ryans lomg term partner at second row. Chairlie Ryan as well will be pushing Dowling & Mick Kearney

Ronan Kelleher also making great strides and definetley part of the senior set up next year also his brother Cian back to Leinster as well. With worl cup would expect to see most of them in a senior shirt early next year

I'd say the academy can replace the vast majority of exits we are going to have within the next 18 months. I think Healy, Cronin, O'Brien, Kearney and Fardy will all be gone in that period of time. We have a number of young lads already pushing O'Brien out so we are set there.

The young lads such as Baird, Dowling and Dunne all have a chance to be good players so major investment isn't needed in the second row currently.

I think if Healy was to go, Leinster still have McGrath, Dooley, Byrne and Jack Aungier who looks promising.

Jordan Larmour is odds on to land the 15 jersey but could also be kept on the wing, Cian Kelleher and one or two academy lads have a chance to push for the 15 Jersey if that was to happen. Would be worth investment if Larmour stays on the wing.

Kelleher, Tracy and Byrne have a chance to take over from Cronin but this is the main place I think Leinster need to invest once Cronin is gone, They need someone who has International and Champions Cup experience. No one comes to mind at the moment.

All in all we are in a strong place, I think the vast majority of the money salary space from all the players leaving will be used to pay the young stars long term with money put aside for one or two major signings whenever needed.

jonok28 wrote: »
    I'd say the academy can replace the vast majority of exits we are going to have within the next 18 months. I think Healy, Cronin, O'Brien, Kearney and Fardy will all be gone in that period of time. We have a number of young lads already pushing O'Brien out so we are set there.

The young lads such as Baird, Dowling and Dunne all have a chance to be good players so major investment isn't needed in the second row currently.

I think if Healy was to go, Leinster still have McGrath, Dooley, Byrne and Jack Aungier who looks promising.

Jordan Larmour is odds on to land the 15 jersey but could also be kept on the wing, Cian Kelleher and one or two academy lads have a chance to push for the 15 Jersey if that was to happen. Would be worth investment if Larmour stays on the wing.

Kelleher, Tracy and Byrne have a chance to take over from Cronin but this is the main place I think Leinster need to invest once Cronin is gone, They need someone who has International and Champions Cup experience. No one comes to mind at the moment.

All in all we are in a strong place, I think the vast majority of the money salary space from all the players leaving will be used to pay the young stars long term with money put aside for one or two major signings whenever needed.

Toner's contract is up in June 2020. Can't imagine he'll be getting another one, he'll be 34.

Looks like you agree on Cronin. I'm hoping that Kelleher will be the man to go to going forward but he's never been capped and Cronin is getting up there now. It would be class to sign a marquee player like Marx even just for a sabbatical year.

Toner's contract is up in June 2020. Can't imagine he'll be getting another one.

Toner turns 34 in June 2020 also. Of course he'll be offered another contract.

Toner turns 34 in June 2020 also. Of course he'll be offered another contract.

We'll see what happens injury wise but I can't imagine Leinster fielding a competitive offer versus what Toulon might offer him for a year or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭scrummieman

We'll see what happens injury wise but I can't imagine Leinster fielding a competitive offer versus what Toulon might offer him for a year or two.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Cool story.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Doesn't strike me as a very "Toulon" player. Could see him doing well at Exeter, he's their type of player, or could see a club with Irish links like Bristol or LI going in big for him (if they're still playing Premiership).

Cool story.

it was a ridiculous comment, that merited that reply.

Doesn't strike me as a very "Toulon" player. Could see him doing well at Exeter, he's their type of player, or could see a club with Irish links like Bristol or LI going in big for him (if they're still playing Premiership).

I'm just using Toulon as an example. They have form on offering older locks big money moves. POC was going to be on just under €1m a year.

• Advertisement

30+ year olds in leinster squad at start of next season:

Scott Fardy(35) - out of contract at the end of the season.
    Jonathan Sexton(34) - central contract until 2021.
    Devin Toner(33) - central contract until 2020.
    Rob Kearney(33) - out of contract after RWC.
    Michael Bent(33) - signed a contract last season.
    Fergus McFadden(33) - signed a contract last season.
    Sean Cronin(33) - signed a contract last season.
    Sean O'Brien(32) - rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season.
    Cian Healy(31) - out of contract after RWC.
    Dave Kearney(30) - signed a contract last season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement