Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

troyzer wrote: »
    Toner's contract is up in June 2020. Can't imagine he'll be getting another one, he'll be 34.

Looks like you agree on Cronin. I'm hoping that Kelleher will be the man to go to going forward but he's never been capped and Cronin is getting up there now. It would be class to sign a marquee player like Marx even just for a sabbatical year.

Marx would be the dream signing but the French and English teams will outbid us and Leinster never seem to get into a bidding war with anyone. I think they just bring in a very experienced Hooker to come in to teach up the young hookers for a year or two and then retires allowing the likes of Kelleher to become a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jonok28 wrote: »
    I think if Healy was to go, Leinster still have McGrath, Dooley, Byrne and Jack Aungier who looks promising.

Aungier plays tighthead, not loosehead. Milne is the next academy prospect at LH.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Aungier plays tighthead, not loosehead. Milne is the next academy prospect at LH.

You're right, apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭scrummieman

Depth chart at lock next season?

Devin Toner(33) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2017, missing start of season due to WC.
    Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
    Ross Molony(25) - Signed contract in 2018
    James Ryan(23) - Signed contract in 2017, missing start of season due to WC.
    Oisin Dowling(22) - Academy Yr 3
    Jack Dunne(20) - Academy Yr 2
    Ryan Baird(20) - Academy Yr 2
    Charlie Ryan(20) - Academy Yr 1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Our tighthead situation will be interesting next season with Furlong and Porter both gone for long stretches. I can see us investing time in Abdaladze and even giving Aungier a debut. I imagine Bent was only on a one year deal. It makes sense to give him another year anyway as we look to develop and will need cover during the RWC at the very least.

I do wonder very much about Jack McGrath though whose contract is up this year. His star has dimmed somewhat in the last 6 months and he hasn't hit the heights since the Lions tour. He found himself outside the Leinster team for Toulouse and wasn't brought to Portugal before being dropped for Ireland. With the amount of time being given to the likes of Ed Byrne of late, I have an uneasy feeling that he's considering his options elsewhere. This is his last chance to sign a big money contract elsewhere given his age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It's hard to know if Penny is going to be a superstar. He's been excellent so far but he's ultimately very small and his toughest games have been Pro14 games against other seconds and academy players. If I'm not mistaken, has he played a proper senior fixture yet against a first team? He might be great but he's very short for a loosehead. Some of the greats like Pocock are also short but Pocock is fairly unique.

I mean, he's 19. Whatever about playing Senior Rugby against a first choice teams, that's a massive stretch for someone whose still eligible for Under 20s rugby.

James Ryan was bigged up for big things at 19, and has very much delivered since then, but even he wasn't selected for Senior Rugby at that age.

As for his size, he's short and light. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You make reference to Pocock, but he's not unique, Hooper is pretty much the same size.

Warburton wasn't exactly a giant either. He was a generous 6'2" and always in and around 103-105kgs

Not saying Penny is going to be a superstar FWIW. But his peformances to date for Leinster, Leinster A and Under 20s certainly are massive indicators to it

Buer wrote: »
    Our tighthead situation will be interesting next season with Furlong and Porter both gone for long stretches. I can see us investing time in Abdaladze and even giving Aungier a debut. I imagine Bent was only on a one year deal. It makes sense to give him another year anyway as we look to develop and will need cover during the RWC at the very least.

I do wonder very much about Jack McGrath though whose contract is up this year. His star has dimmed somewhat in the last 6 months and he hasn't hit the heights since the Lions tour. He found himself outside the Leinster team for Toulouse and wasn't brought to Portugal before being dropped for Ireland. With the amount of time being given to the likes of Ed Byrne of late, I have an uneasy feeling that he's considering his options elsewhere. This is his last chance to sign a big money contract elsewhere given his age.

McGrath recently married, unclear how much of a factor that may be. I'd be surprised if he left, unless IRFU take the piss with his contract offer.

I mean, he's 19. Whatever about playing Senior Rugby against a first choice teams, that's a massive stretch for someone whose still eligible for Under 20s rugby.

James Ryan was bigged up for big things at 19, and has very much delivered since then, but even he wasn't selected for Senior Rugby at that age.

As for his size, he's short and light. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You make reference to Pocock, but he's not unique, Hooper is pretty much the same size.

Warburton wasn't exactly a giant either. He was a generous 6'2" and always in and around 103-105kgs

Not saying Penny is going to be a superstar FWIW. But his peformances to date for Leinster, Leinster A and Under 20s certainly are massive indicators to it

1. James Ryan never had size concerns.
    2. Leinster didn't have an injury crisis requiring him to play at 19.
    3. Penny will likely be a very good player, injury allowing but don't think he has potential to be a SOB/Leavy level backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Depth chart at lock next season?

Devin Toner(33) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2017, missing start of season due to WC.
    Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
    Ross Molony(25) - Signed contract in 2018
    James Ryan(23) - Signed contract in 2017, missing start of season due to WC.
    Oisin Dowling(22) - Academy Yr 3
    Jack Dunne(20) - Academy Yr 2
    Ryan Baird(20) - Academy Yr 2
    Charlie Ryan(20) - Academy Yr 1

James Ryan is our fourth best lock? This is surely a joke. Or am I misreading your depth chart?

Has McGrath been released back to Leinster or what's the craic?

I suppose you're right, never really thought of Hooper.

Maybe he is big enough. There's just that psychological, sub six foot barrier.

James Ryan is our fourth best lock? This is surely a joke. Or am I misreading your depth chart?

its ordered by age.

• Advertisement

its ordered by age.

Why is it called a depth chart then?

Depth charts are ordered from best to worst. :confused:

Why is it called a depth chart then?

Depth charts are ordered from best to worst. :confused:

a depth chart can be ordered in various ways.

If you have a problem with mine, do your own.

a depth chart can be ordered in various ways.

If you have a problem with mine, do your own.

Here's my list of locks in alphabetical order:

Moloney.
    Ryan.
    Kearney.
    Toner.
    Baird.
    Dunne.
    Ryan.
    Dowling.

McGrath recently married, unclear how much of a factor that may be. I'd be surprised if he left, unless IRFU take the piss with his contract offer.

Given he's not in the Irish 23, I would imagine it will almost certainly be a direct negotiation with Leinster.

Given he's not in the Irish 23, I would imagine it will almost certainly be a direct negotiation with Leinster.

IRFU have final say at the end of the day.

Not a lot of positives to be taken from the Leinster injury update. From the tone of the comments, I don't think Ringrose or Leavy will be available for the Italian game nor Toner available until the end of the season. I suppose we could be optimistic in relation to Ringrose given the lack of detail but I don't see him being risked in that fixture if he's not 100% with something as niggly as a hamstring and he's still recovering.
    “Dev, obviously unlucky with his injury – I actually can’t think of when Dev’s been injured before. To lose him, from an Ireland set up, is huge.

“The operation has been successful, as far as I understand, so he’ll begin a slow, progressive rehab. Hopefully, he’ll be fit towards the end of the season and contribute towards Leinster’s push at the end.”

Garry Ringrose picked up a slight hamstring injury in the Ireland v England game and will continue his recuperation this week with Leinster Rugby before reporting back to the IRFU medical team next week.

Dan Leavy will continue to rehab his calf issue this week.

On the positive side, McFadden is now back in full training and Tomane is going to be back on the pitch training in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster Facebook confirms SOB off to London Irish after the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know he owes us nothing etc, and I know he probably got offered peanuts in reality. But I'd still be a little forlorn if SOB has a miracle injury free three seasons at LI (as much as I'd be happy for him).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Full release
    ​Leinster Rugby can this afternoon confirm that Seán O’Brien has agreed to join London Irish after the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The 31 year old back row, who turns 32 this Thursday, is one of Leinster’s most decorated players, having come through the Leinster Academy system and having played 122 times for Leinster since his debut in September 2008 against the Cardiff Blues. He has scored 20 tries.

In his time at Leinster he was part of the PRO12 winning squads in 2008, 2013 and 2014 as well as the Guinness PRO14 win last season.

He has four Heineken Champions Cup medals, starting in the Heineken Cup Finals of 2011 and 2012, and also a Challenge Cup medal in 2013.

Off the back of these impressive performances in the blue of Leinster, he was named European Player of the Year in 2011.

The Tullow native made his Ireland debut in the RDS Arena in November 2009 against Fiji and has to date won 54 Ireland caps scoring six tries in total. He was a member of the Ireland 2015 Six Nations winning squad.

O’Brien has also been on two British & Irish Lions tours, winning 11 caps.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie this morning, Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen said, “Seán has been a key driver of Leinster Rugby’s success over the last ten years and played a pivotal role in our four Heineken Cup-winning seasons.

“He has not only been a world class player on the field, but has also made an incredible impact in growing the game all over the province. He has also been a model professional and a shining example to our young and Academy players.

“As a teammate, Seán was the sort of competitor you always wanted beside you. He is the kind of player who gives you the confidence that anything is possible – nothing fazes him and he always led from the front.

“Everyone at Leinster wishes only the very best for Seánie in his future as he embarks on a new challenge. We will all miss him greatly, but his legacy here will live on as he has influenced so many of us in such a positive way.

“For now, we hope to finish this season strongly and, after his disappointment of missing out on a number of big games last season through injury, we hope Seán can play a major part in Leinster’s push for silverware in two competitions this season.”

For his part O’Brien said, “This is one of the hardest decisions that I have ever had to make. I have played all my rugby in Ireland.

“With Tullow, with Leinster and with Ireland and to move from the place I call home and that I love so much, was not easy.

“That being said, I feel that the time has come to explore other opportunities, to challenge myself at a new environment, in a new city, with a new club and against different players and teams on a weekly basis. London Irish and what they are about is a club that I feel I can grow with and also contribute to and I feel that they have a set up and an ethos that will make me feel at home.

“For me and the time I have left here in Ireland, I want to stay fit and healthy and finish out the season with a strong Six Nations with Ireland and then turn my attention to Leinster and hopefully a seat on the plane to Japan.

“Thanks to my family, friends and my girlfriend Sarah for their unbelievable support in making this decision and of course the fans for all the support I’ve received over the past 13 years. I am looking forward to representing Leinster and Ireland as best as I can over the next nine months.”

kmart6 wrote: »
    Full release
    ​Leinster Rugby can this afternoon confirm that Seán O’Brien has agreed to join London Irish after the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The 31 year old back row, who turns 32 this Thursday, is one of Leinster’s most decorated players, having come through the Leinster Academy system and having played 122 times for Leinster since his debut in September 2008 against the Cardiff Blues. He has scored 20 tries.

In his time at Leinster he was part of the PRO12 winning squads in 2008, 2013 and 2014 as well as the Guinness PRO14 win last season.

He has four Heineken Champions Cup medals, starting in the Heineken Cup Finals of 2011 and 2012, and also a Challenge Cup medal in 2013.

Off the back of these impressive performances in the blue of Leinster, he was named European Player of the Year in 2011.

The Tullow native made his Ireland debut in the RDS Arena in November 2009 against Fiji and has to date won 54 Ireland caps scoring six tries in total. He was a member of the Ireland 2015 Six Nations winning squad.

O’Brien has also been on two British & Irish Lions tours, winning 11 caps.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie this morning, Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen said, “Seán has been a key driver of Leinster Rugby’s success over the last ten years and played a pivotal role in our four Heineken Cup-winning seasons.

“He has not only been a world class player on the field, but has also made an incredible impact in growing the game all over the province. He has also been a model professional and a shining example to our young and Academy players.

“As a teammate, Seán was the sort of competitor you always wanted beside you. He is the kind of player who gives you the confidence that anything is possible – nothing fazes him and he always led from the front.

“Everyone at Leinster wishes only the very best for Seánie in his future as he embarks on a new challenge. We will all miss him greatly, but his legacy here will live on as he has influenced so many of us in such a positive way.

“For now, we hope to finish this season strongly and, after his disappointment of missing out on a number of big games last season through injury, we hope Seán can play a major part in Leinster’s push for silverware in two competitions this season.”

For his part O’Brien said, “This is one of the hardest decisions that I have ever had to make. I have played all my rugby in Ireland.

“With Tullow, with Leinster and with Ireland and to move from the place I call home and that I love so much, was not easy.

“That being said, I feel that the time has come to explore other opportunities, to challenge myself at a new environment, in a new city, with a new club and against different players and teams on a weekly basis. London Irish and what they are about is a club that I feel I can grow with and also contribute to and I feel that they have a set up and an ethos that will make me feel at home.

“For me and the time I have left here in Ireland, I want to stay fit and healthy and finish out the season with a strong Six Nations with Ireland and then turn my attention to Leinster and hopefully a seat on the plane to Japan.

“Thanks to my family, friends and my girlfriend Sarah for their unbelievable support in making this decision and of course the fans for all the support I’ve received over the past 13 years. I am looking forward to representing Leinster and Ireland as best as I can over the next nine months.”

I'm not crying. You're crying.

Shut up.

• Advertisement

On a technicality what happens if SOB misses the WC? If he’s injured or possibly not picked for the initial squad due to a knock, he’s still a Leinster player until the WC is over so could we get a sneaky game or two out of him next season. I realize it’s unlikely just thinking ‘what if’

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

New city? Is Reading a city now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Going forward, I 'd like to see RK retained for next season.
    I imagine he's got offers to play overseas, but another year to help Larmour/ Keenan out would be grand.
    McGrath surely must be retained, if Healy was to leave.
    I would like to keep them both, maybe one of them will go up to Ulster.
    Penny is of a similar size to VDF! He's going to be grand.
    Cronin, will most likely get a payday in the premiership?
    Bristol were interested last season. I don't see Leinster get into a bidding war for him.
    Toner will stay, simply because he's going to be in the international squad for the next 2 years.
    He's just gotten married and started a family. I hope he stays.
    Ferg is surplus at this stage. I think the Kelleher signing along with Tomane means that he will leave.
    Really, both of them are not as good, but age must be a factor, as well as injury.
    Tommy O Brien will be exposed to the set up relatively soon and I think he can be a good player.
    Dowling is getting a run recently, so the coaching staff must believe he's near ready to play a role. I expect he's going to get a contract this year.
    I reckon that we will look for a hooker overseas. Kelleher hasn't had a sniff yet and we only have 3 on the books.
    Best of luck to the Tullow tank!!! Fantastic player. I hope he wins the premiership with P.J next season.
    He is when healthy world class. No doubt!!!
    Unfortunately, he's rarely healthy. I think Leinster are right not to resign him.
    So we have lost:
    Heaslip, Jordi, Strauss, isa, Joey, SOB, over the past 2 years!!
    That's the makings of a top quality squad.
    P.S. I am weeping atm. SOB, I love you, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

dregin wrote: »

I don't know if it's been granted a royal charter but I've been there and Reading is significantly bigger than Cork, Limerick or Galway.

Are they cities?

(PMs all Munster and Connacht fans in anticipation)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dregin wrote: »

It is not, but LI are moving back to London next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Anyhoo

I'm gutted. He's a massive loss. Whatever benefit we might get from him moving on will be felt in three or four years, but it weakens us significantly for next season and probably the next one.

Absolute legend. Genuinely one of the best Irish players of the pro era. Such a shame that the last couple of years have been wrecked.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It is not, but LI are moving back to London next year.

Where they moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Where they moving to?

Brentford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

salmocab wrote: »
    Where they moving to?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/46440769

Ground Sharing with Brentford FC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Suspectman123

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Going forward, I 'd like to see RK retained for next season.
    I imagine he's got offers to play overseas, but another year to help Larmour/ Keenan out would be grand.
    McGrath surely must be retained, if Healy was to leave.
    I would like to keep them both, maybe one of them will go up to Ulster.
    Penny is of a similar size to VDF! He's going to be grand.
    Cronin, will most likely get a payday in the premiership?
    Bristol were interested last season. I don't see Leinster get into a bidding war for him.
    Toner will stay, simply because he's going to be in the international squad for the next 2 years.
    He's just gotten married and started a family. I hope he stays.
    Ferg is surplus at this stage. I think the Kelleher signing along with Tomane means that he will leave.
    Really, both of them are not as good, but age must be a factor, as well as injury.
    Tommy O Brien will be exposed to the set up relatively soon and I think he can be a good player.
    Dowling is getting a run recently, so the coaching staff must believe he's near ready to play a role. I expect he's going to get a contract this year.
    I reckon that we will look for a hooker overseas. Kelleher hasn't had a sniff yet and we only have 3 on the books.
    Best of luck to the Tullow tank!!! Fantastic player. I hope he wins the premiership with P.J next season.
    He is when healthy world class. No doubt!!!
    Unfortunately, he's rarely healthy. I think Leinster are right not to resign him.
    So we have lost:
    Heaslip, Jordi, Strauss, isa, Joey, SOB, over the past 2 years!!
    That's the makings of a top quality squad.
    P.S. I am weeping atm. SOB, I love you, man.

Kearney most likely will get extended to end of 19/20 if he keeps up form but can’t see anything long term
    Cronin, is signed up to end of 2020 from what I’ve seen, in great form and clearly Leinster number 1 so I can’t see them letting him leave without a fight as not much behind him
    Can’t see Ferg being kept on, injury profile and age
    Tomane needs to be shifted on
    Toner likely get another year until 2021 as he’s great injury profile and second rows go that bit longer
    Sad to see SOB going but it makes sense...love seeing his clips from 3/4 years ago, the guy was a animal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement