Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It'd be great if A Byrne gets going early. He really needs a good start to the campaign.
    Very surprised that Deegan didn't get the call! Doris must be flying in training.
    Decent team, hopefully they perform and win.

The amount of caps won by Treacy is low? At 28 years old, I would have expected a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The amount of caps won by Treacy is low? At 28 years old, I would have expected a lot more.

He was a loosehead originally and converted to a hooker, so he lost a chunk of time there. And then he's been in squads with Cronin, Strauss and Bryan Byrne so has had a decent bit of competition.

Didn't know he was a lh. Hope he has a big year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

McCarthy has broken his wrist... ****.

That'll complicate things. Will have to choose between Lowe and Fardy for the next few games
    http://www.the42.ie/nick-mccarthy-leinster-broken-wrist-4204968-Aug2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I suspect there will be only one winner in that head to head.

The gap between Lowe and the next best back is nowhere near as vast as the gap between Fardy and the backup locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

That is terrible news for McCarthy. There was already going to be a fire coming up from behind him with Hugh O'Sullivan. Now that he's going to be out injured, I find it hard not to think his place as 3rd choice is under serious threat.

That said, there's always a silver lining with these things. O'Sullivan has a lot of potential and it will be good to see him collect valuable minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is very, very poor planning. There should be at least one more layer of Irish qual'd cover before this becomes a possibility. Now it has occurred twice in 5 months.

Im assuming we want to hang on to James Lowe for the foreseeable and I'm wondering for how long he is going to tolerate being benched in full fitness for a bit of bad management / gambling?

Are we vulnerable to this because of any other positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wouldn't call it poor planning at all. Lowe was the player we'd tracked long term but Fardy became available and we had to sign him. It was opportunism at its finest. We wouldn't have won the Champions Cup without him. The eligibility rules are a problem and it may come to pass that we can only play Lowe in home games for the next while but so be it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is very, very poor planning. There should be at least one more layer of Irish qual'd cover before this becomes a possibility. Now it has occurred twice in 5 months.

Im assuming we want to hang on to James Lowe for the foreseeable and I'm wondering for how long he is going to tolerate being benched in full fitness for a bit of bad management / gambling?

Are we vulnerable to this because of any other positions?

He has one more season under contract after Fardy will be gone so that won't really be an issue. Pain in the bloody hoop though - its annoying that Leinster have to pick between their two best NIQs to facilitate their worst.

• Advertisement

Lowe is not as vital as Fardy. Fardy is a beast and brings a lot of grit to the pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This situation could so easily have been avoided. We shouldn't have signed Scott Fardy. Appalling management and shocking planning.

That's basically what we're saying here. We should have passed on signing the guy who was one of the key players in winning the double.

Right

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

James Lowe has had complaints with arthritis so for all we know his game time would be managed regardless of selection quotas.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This situation could so easily have been avoided. We shouldn't have signed Scott Fardy. Appalling management and shocking planning.

That's basically what we're saying here. We should have passed on signing the guy who was one of the key players in winning the double.

Right

We shouldn't have signed JGP maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We shouldn't have signed JGP maybe?

At the time we needed someone and the kolpak thing wasn’t an issue in our squad.
    It’s a strange situation that of the 3 we now need the 3rd best probably the most but that’s just as a bench option.
    Ideally we would have signed another 9 this summer but with already having an NIQ there it would have been too much to expect another.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

JGP was most definitely needed at the time.

Cooney had signed with Connacht, Boss and Reddan had retired, McCarthy was only 2nd year academy and Rock was never really an option.

I just thought of a joke so bad I need to put a spoiler tag around it:
    Did you hear about the bar that didn't serve Jameson?

He forgot his I.D.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I just thought of a joke so bad I need to put a spoiler tag around it:
    Did you hear about the bar that didn't serve Jameson?

He forgot his I.D.

Leave and never come back.

Leave and never come back.

He went to the bar while watching a Malone match....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

JGP was most definitely needed at the time.

Cooney had signed with Connacht, Boss and Reddan had retired, McCarthy was only 2nd year academy and Rock was never really an option.

We're still dealing with the fall-out from MOC's complete refusal to plan for the future in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Has anybody got their season tickets yet?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

troyzer wrote: »
    Has anybody got their season tickets yet?

Nope.

dregin wrote: »
    Nope.

Leaving it a bit late aren't they? You need it to get into the Leinster women's game tonight for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The whole Kolpak rule is just so frustrating.

We've need to play our Kiwi scumhalf so one of our Australian/ New Zealand players must miss out.

Both our Kiwi players are uncapped but subject to this rule all the while Joe Tomane (capped for Australia, born and lived in NZ until he was 3) has Islander descent so can play away with no restrictions.

For clarity, I have no problems with Tomane. He seems a great dude and a great player and I am very glad we have him.

Just frustrated. Let them play!

We've need to play our Kiwi scumhalf so one of our Australian/ New Zealand players must miss out.

Both our Kiwi players are uncapped but subject to this rule all the while Joe Tomane (capped for Australia, born and lived in NZ until he was 3) has Islander descent so can play away with no restrictions.

For clarity, I have no problems with Tomane. He seems a great dude and a great player and I am very glad we have him.

Just frustrated. Let them play!

It's not the Kolpak rule you have a problem with, it's the quota rule. I'm not sure who enforces it, is it Rugby Europe? EPCR? World Rugby?

I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We're still dealing with the fall-out from MOC's complete refusal to plan for the future in that regard.

MOC sent Cooney off on loan to get more game time. Planning for the future is exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Des Berry writing in the Indo that McCarthy will be back in action in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit harsh on JGP he comes across as a nice enough guy to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭CowGoesMoo100

Buer wrote: »
    Cardiff Blues team to face Leinster: M Morgan; J Harries, W Halaholo, R Lee-Lo, O Lane; J Evans, L Williams; B Thyer, K Dacey, D Arhip, S Davies, R Thornton, J Turnbull, E Jenkins, N Williams.

Replacements: R Gill, E Lewis, S Andrews, G Earle, O Robinson, T Williams, S Shingler, G Smith.

Which Wales players would be missing there? Anscombe and Navidi are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. They missing anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

MOC sent Cooney off on loan to get more game time. Planning for the future is exactly what he was doing.

Sending him off to Connacht for game time instead of giving him game time at Leinster is the exact reason we lost him to Connacht. How is that planning for the future? He was 24 at the time while Reddan and Boss were 33/34 respectively.

If Cullen sent McCarthy off to Connacht on loan it would be a pretty clear message of the value they place in him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement