Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He’s staying...from what I heard, not 100% but pretty reliable
    Had offers but loves the set up apparently

His wife and baby are here right? Probably helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He’s staying...from what I heard, not 100% but pretty reliable
    Had offers but loves the set up apparently

Hearing IRFU are keen on Jack McGrath to follow Jordi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Down the drain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wouldn't be a surprise. Ulster are turning things around and they will be a viable side in the near future.
    His experience would be massive for EOS and the young props.
    I think Ulster are turning the corner and with the mix of experience and youth, they will be a cracking side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd say they've been keen on that for years tbh...

But why now I wonder?

They've both been first and second choice for Ireland when fit for the last 5 and a half seasons all the while sharing duties at Leinster too.

The flip side of the coin is Healy is the wrong side of 30, McGrath is almost 30 and while they (especially McGrath) could go for another 4 seasons, you're left with the scenario where their backups would be aging with no meaningful senior game time.

Ed Byrne is 26 this year - and I think he has top European/ International standard potential

Pete Dooley is 25 this year - I think he is probably up to it in Europe/ tier 2 standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I mentioned recently that I was somewhat suspicious about McGrath's contract status. A lot of things lining up for him to depart....contract status, age, decreased involvement with Ireland etc.

But McGrath leaving would be hard to stomach, more so than Jordi Murphy. McGrath has been involved with Ireland consistently including starting several tier one tests in 2018. He's a far higher profile player with 3 Lions test caps. If it came to pass, it would be, by a distance, the highest profile move between provinces of the professional era and something of a seminal moment in inter-provincial movement.

I don't see him being eager to make that move, though. Perhaps if it's pushed to him with the RWC in mind and his future along with a nice chunk of change. But if he was going to leave Leinster, I'd have thought a move to England would be the more likely destination for him and I've no doubt he would have some handsome offers on the table too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a surprise. Ulster are turning things around and they will be a viable side in the near future.
    His experience would be massive for EOS and the young props.
    I think Ulster are turning the corner and with the mix of experience and youth, they will be a cracking side.

I'm a bit surprised, Eric O'Sullivan looks like a really good loose head who could actually push for an spot in the Ireland squad post World Cup, so shipping Jack up North to take his spot doesn't make alot of sense to me. Also why would Leinster leave themselves thin when its expected that Healy is to field offers from England and France after the World Cup?

• Administrators Posts: 53,810 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jonok28 wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised, Eric O'Sullivan looks like a really good loose head who could actually push for an spot in the Ireland squad post World Cup, so shipping Jack up North to take his spot doesn't make alot of sense to me. Also why would Leinster leave themselves thin when its expected that Healy is to field offers from England and France after the World Cup?
    OSullivan is really young for a prop.

But this McGrath move? Can’t see it. Would be by far the most surprising move between provinces ever.

awec wrote: »

But this McGrath move? Can’t see it. Would be by far the most surprising move between provinces ever.

He is very young but I think the exposure he has gotten for Ulster has really pushed his development forward and would be surprised if they did anything to stunt his growth. I think alot of younger players should be bled in for Ireland right after the world cup to prepare them for 2023 World Cup.

Even with McGrath there, EOS would get plenty of game time. He has benched for half of his Pro14 appearances this season. EOS wouldn't be the one to miss out on game time. He'd share with McGrath and get to work alongside him every day which would be to his benefit.

It would be the likes of Warwick that would miss out and be bumped down to squad filler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jonok28 wrote: »

A move like that would do absolute wonders for a young prop like Eric O'Sullivan, having a mentor with plenty of international and B&I Lions experience. Props share gametime due to the intensity of the position, so O'Sullivan would still be getting plenty of minutes.

It would be disastrous on two fronts.

It would weaken Leinster's front row options substantially but worse again, you would have to stop complaining about the IRFU. Can you imagine! ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,810 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be disastrous on two fronts.

It would weaken Leinster's front row options substantially but worse again, you would have to stop complaining about the IRFU. Can you imagine! ;)

The IRFU haven’t done anything to overly upset me in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

And you find that very upsetting don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In quite a while translates as this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

stephen_n wrote: »
    In quite a while translates as this season?

Today. Most specially the last 7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Today. Most specially the last 7 minutes.
    IRFU don't move McGrath to Ulster....Outrage begins........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't see how McGrath move would make a difference to this RWC cycle unless he moves straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Isn't it more likely that Healy will leave after RWC and McGrath will become first choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Healy is renovating his house in Dublin, don’t think he has any ideas on leaving Leinster. He probably flirt with offers from abroad to add a bit in to his pay slip But doubt he’d leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Healy is renovating his house in Dublin, don’t think he has any ideas on leaving Leinster. He probably flirt with offers from abroad to add a bit in to his pay slip But doubt he’d leave

The house will still be there after the 2 or 3 years he might spend abroad though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wegians89 wrote: »

Sign a big contract in France/England and he can sell the kip and buy himself a bigger/better version :P

When I first seen the SOB story I said no chance as who would look after the cows but look what happened

Healy could do 2 years away, rock back in after the Lions tour and potentially play in next WC for Ireland

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sign a big contract in France/England and he can sell the kip and buy himself a bigger/better version :P

When I first seen the SOB story I said no chance as who would look after the cows but look what happened

Healy could do 2 years away, rock back in after the Lions tour and potentially play in next WC for Ireland

I've heard on two separate occasions that Healy wants a pay bump and wants a three year contract and Leinster and the IRFU aren't willing to give him either, they are meant to be offering 2 years. I think he has atleast 3 more top level years infront of him.

He's 32 at the end of his contract. I'm sure he wants a pay bump but I'm also sure he knows full well his salary is only going in one direction with the IRFU at that age. If he even wants to maintain his current salary level, he'll need to leave Ireland.

Also not a hope of him getting a 3 year deal either given his age and injury record in recent years, I would imagine.

Buer wrote: »
    He's 32 at the end of his contract. I'm sure he wants a pay bump but I'm also sure he knows full well his salary is only going in one direction with the IRFU at that age. If he even wants to maintain his current salary level, he'll need to leave Ireland.

Also not a hope of him getting a 3 year deal either given his age and injury record in recent years, I would imagine.

I think that's why Healy is going to move on, he could get that 3 years and pay bump in France or England. I think Rob Kearney and maybe even Sean Cronin go the same path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Healy should move to Munster. After all doesn't he have a knife business? Make a lot of extra money through that in Limerick.

Jesus lads ye are talking half the squad out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Team to face Zebre?

1. Jack McGrath
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Oisín Dowling
    7. Rhys Ruddock
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Ciarán Frawley

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Mick Kearney
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Hugh O'Sullivan
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Dave Kearney

Team to face Zebre?

1. Jack McGrath
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Oisín Dowling
    7. Rhys Ruddock
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Ciarán Frawley

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Mick Kearney
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Hugh O'Sullivan
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Dave Kearney

I’ve a feeling JGP will be held back, he’s currently possibly the most important player we need to not get injured.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve a feeling JGP will be held back, he’s currently possibly the most important player we need to not get injured.

we're hardly going to go away to italy with 2 academy scrum halves.....

we have JPG for precisely these situations... LMG could be back in 3 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement