Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

Scott Penny and Harry Byrne trained with Leinster today.

AS did Oisin Dowling, Mick Kearney, Luke McGrath, Joe Tomane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great news.
    Gives the young bucks another year to develop and have a great mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I see Reid was sitting out training today and I'm not sure I've seen Frawley train in the past week in photos.

Could HB be due his first cap this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Excellent! We'll be very glad of him next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Joe Tomane on the Leinster Instagram story training taking place kicks.

Forgot he kicked from the tee actually, could be good backup considering Sexton has been taking quite a few knocks lately

• Advertisement

There are times in my life when I'm feeling a bit vulnerable and I just need to be held by my wife. Or Scott Fardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

There are times in my life when I'm feeling a bit vulnerable and I just need to be held by my wife. Or Scott Fardy.

Let fix that

There are times in my life when I'm feeling a bit vulnerable and I just need to be held by Scott Fardy, or my wife

Buer wrote: »
    I see Reid was sitting out training today and I'm not sure I've seen Frawley train in the past week in photos.

Could HB be due his first cap this weekend?

Frawley trained today.

1656833.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm a bit sad about it to be honest though. He's been such a great servant to Leinster and particularly in developing the kids that I really wanted him to be recalled back to Super Rugby and go to a final world cup. He deserves it.

That door is shut now obviously.

Is he barred tho? I thought Cheika was cleared to include overseas players in his WC squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Is he barred tho? I thought Cheika was cleared to include overseas players in his WC squad?

I doubt Leinster would have signed him without a gentleman's agreement. If Fardy was called up, he'd be gone the entire rugby championship and world cup. So he'd miss the Leinster pre-season plus another two months or so.

• Advertisement

As posted previously, Fardy was dropped by Australia before he left for Leinster. He's not a critical player for them and may not have been in their RWC squad even if he was still in Australia.

As posted previously, Fardy was dropped by Australia before he left for Leinster. He's not a critical player for them and may not have been in their RWC squad even if he was still in Australia.

His form has skyrocketed since he came to Leinster and he's exactly what Australia need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Whether he'd be called up is doubtful but I'd be disgusted if refusing a call up was a condition to his new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whether he'd be called up is doubtful but I'd be disgusted if refusing a call up was a condition to his new contract.

It wasn’t in Kirchners contract

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And against the laws, for whatever that matters.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Yeah, absolutely, but it was suggested above there could be a 'gentleman's agreement'.

troyzer wrote: »
    His form has skyrocketed since he came to Leinster and he's exactly what Australia need.

His form was grand before he left Australia and he isn't even in Leinster's first choice 23 this season for most big matches. We're looking at it through blue tinted glasses. Why would Australia select a 35 year old playing on the other side of the world who isn't first choice for his team and had been dropped already before departure?

Fardy was dropped due to Cheika wanting to look at younger players in the squad at that point. He brought in Ned Hannigan who is the like for like replacement i.e. a lock/flanker and still in the Australian team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think if its a gentlemen agreement, fair enough. Fardy knows full well hes for one more year to help plug a massive hole that will be left during the wc, it would be bad form to naff off for a few months of the year

PMC83 wrote: »
    I think if its a gentlemen agreement, fair enough. Fardy knows full well hes for one more year to help plug a massive hole that will be left during the wc, it would be bad form to naff off for a few months of the year

Yeah, this is all I was suggesting.

It’s not against the laws, as we saw with Shields’ contract. You can voluntarily sign a contract that opts you out of Regulation 9 call-ups. Unless the laws changed this year?

• Advertisement

It’s not against the laws, as we saw with Shields’ contract. You can voluntarily sign a contract that opts you out of Regulation 9 call-ups. Unless the laws changed this year?

Shields was different, IIRC he could opt out because he intended to play for another country for which he was already eligible.

Anyway, I'm sure it's all above board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Only if you qualify for that country's team though right? Fardy isn't eligible for Ireland so it doesn't apply.

Possible 23 man squad for Cheetahs game?

1. Ed Byrne(25)
    2. Ronan Kelleher(21)
    3. Andrew Porter(23)
    4. Ross Molony(24)
    5. Scott Fardy(34)
    6. Josh Murphy(24)
    7. Max Deegan(22)
    8. Caelan Doris(20)
    9. Hugh O'Sullivan(21)
    10. Ciaran Frawley(21)
    11. James Lowe(26)
    12. Conor O'Brien(23)
    13. Rory O'Loughlin(25)
    14. Adam Byrne(24)
    15. Barry Daly(26)
    16. Bryan Byrne(25)
    17. Peter Dooley(24)
    18. Vakh Abdaladze(23)
    19. Oisin Dowling(21)
    20. Scott Penny(19)
    21. Patrick Patterson(20)
    22. Noel Reid(28)
    23. Fergus McFadden(32)

Only if you qualify for that country's team though right? Fardy isn't eligible for Ireland so it doesn't apply.

Ah yes, you’re right. Shields was eligible for NZ

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He brought in Ned Hannigan who is the like for like replacement i.e. a lock/flanker and still in the Australian team.

Ned hannigan will never be like for like with Scott fardy, but I know what you mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Australia are sticking to their 60 cap floor for foreign based players, so that rules Fardy out.
    https://www.planetrugby.com/news/australia-not-changing-60-cap-rule/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Australia are sticking to their 60 cap floor for foreign based players, so that rules Fardy out.
    https://www.planetrugby.com/news/australia-not-changing-60-cap-rule/

Hard on Fardy but good for Leinster....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The impression I get is that Fardy is quite happy here. He says he wants to compete for more trophies and I guess that is refreshing coming from Super Rugby where he won basically nothing.

Just curious, he lived in Japan for 3 years before starting his pro career in Australia. It's probably fortunate he wasn't capped!

errlloyd wrote: »
    The impression I get is that Fardy is quite happy here. He says he wants to compete for more trophies and I guess that is refreshing coming from Super Rugby where he won basically nothing.

Just curious, he lived in Japan for 3 years before starting his pro career in Australia. It's probably fortunate he wasn't capped!

Had a baby here and his family are here. Plus we’re all such bloody legends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fardy strikes me as someone likely to go into coaching, he may have a medium term plan working with some good coaches. There’s probably better opportunities after he finishes up playing in the northern hemisphere. I’d not be shocked to see him play next year and then pick up a coaching gig somewhere without shipping the family back south.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement