Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Clegg wrote: »
    IIRC The Carbery transfer was rubbished when the first stories started cropping up. These stories mist be taken seriously.

McGrath seems to be in a similar position to Jordi. Lost his place in the starting 15 but too good to not start elsewhere. Does grate tho from a Leinster perspective. Other provinces reaping the benefits of another's hard work.

Henshaw. Now hold yer whisht there like a good man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Born in Athlone, Henshaw grew up in the suburb Coosan
    Coosan (Irish: Cuasán) is a suburb just north of Athlone, County Westmeath in Ireland
    Bucaneers RFC, The Bounty, Dubarry Park
    Clonbrusk
    Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    Marist College Athlone, Retreat Rd., Athlone Co. Westmeath N37 RX31
    County Westmeath (/wɛstˈmiːð/; Irish: Contae na hIarmhí or simply An Iarmhí) is a county in Ireland. It is in the province of Leinster and is part of the Midlands Region.
    QED

troyzer wrote: »
    Born in Athlone, Henshaw grew up in the suburb Coosan

Coosan (Irish: Cuasán) is a suburb just north of Athlone, County Westmeath in Ireland

Bucaneers RFC, The Bounty, Dubarry Park
    Clonbrusk
    Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Marist College Athlone, Retreat Rd., Athlone Co. Westmeath N37 RX31

County Westmeath (/wɛstˈmiːð/; Irish: Contae na hIarmhí or simply An Iarmhí) is a county in Ireland. It is in the province of Leinster and is part of the Midlands Region.

QED

What has any of that got to do with the highlighted bit of Clegg's post that I responded to? Are you suggesting Leinster had any role in Henshaw's development?

What has any of that got to do with the highlighted bit of Clegg's post that I responded to? Are you suggesting Leinster had any role in Henshaw's development?

I'm suggesting that Henshaw was just coming back to his province of birth and schooling. Good Leinster lad.

I'm suggesting that Henshaw was just coming back to his province of birth and schooling. Good Leinster lad.

Again, nothing to do with what Clegg posted.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I think I'm just salty and hyper sensitive at the moment.

I need a tub of Ben and Jerrys and a season of the Gilmore Girls on Netflix to get over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yes Henshaw was developed by Connacht as was Cronin. How many of the current Connacht squad were developed in Leinster? Leinster have the best academy and probably the biggest pipeline, stands to reason we are going to lose the most players. But over the last 12 months we will have lost Murphy, Carberry and now possibly McGrath to other provinces. That’s 3 possible starters in less than a year. Not easy for any set of fans to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Also from the article It's McGrath who is pushing for the move as he wants more game time. It doesn't matter where he developed or where he's from. If a lad wants to move and play more rugby he has every right to do so.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yes Henshaw was developed by Connacht as was Cronin. How many of the current Connacht squad were developed in Leinster? Leinster have the best academy and probably the biggest pipeline, stands to reason we are going to lose the most players. But over the last 12 months we will have lost Murphy, Carberry and now possibly McGrath to other provinces. That’s 3 possible starters in less than a year. Not easy for any set of fans to swallow.

Leinster have by far the largest schools system/academy/conveyor belt of talent. You can't hoard players on the bench forever. Good players want to play, not to sit on the bench for years on end. You enjoy the benefits of that system but you have to accept the flip side that you don't own the players, they are free agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I mentioned 2-3 weeks ago that I thought McGrath was a very strong contender to leave Leinster with his age, injuries, loss of Irish/Leinster spot and emergence of Ed Byrne.

It gives me little joy to see it a likely outcome. He will be by far the highest profile move between provinces if it goes through and he is at an age where he should be peaking right now.

The article says they believe there's another season on his existing deal but he last signed a contract in 2016 from what I can see...I don't imagine that was a 4 year deal nor has he reportedly signed any new deal since then. Other online articles say his contract ends in 2019 so I'd believe that to be more likely.

From McGrath's perspective as well as the perspective of Irish rugby, I can see why the deal is being proposed. It makes sense for those involved but Leinster are undoubtedly losing out overall. Ed Byrne's progress and rise through the ranks is going well though which should minimise the loss, if the deal goes through.

Well Ed Byrne's price just went up!

Good move for all concerned I think. Byrne and Dooley will get opportunities to compete for the backup spot during the RWC.

• Advertisement

Leinster are double champions. They have wrapped up a home Pro14 semi-final with weeks to spare and have a home HCC quarter-final coming up where they are favourites.

You won't get much sympathy from the rest of us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

As a Connacht fan we've been there. It happens. Other players step up, the world keeps turning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

Leisnter fans better have enjoyed the double last season, the IRFU will do their very best to prevent such a thing occurring again, by weakening the player pool and depth leinster have developed.

Leisnter fans better have enjoyed the double last season, the IRFU will do their very best to prevent such a thing occurring again, by weakening the player pool and depth leinster have developed.

main-qimg-45e6a254494d86adb6c0e6f5de36d7da-c.jpg

I would say Henshaw was the biggest prior to now. He wasn't a Lion when he moved and he was never a test Lion. McGrath is both of those things and props are like hens teeth at the best of times.

Not taking anything away from Henshaw, it was a big move but It was player led and this appears to have a bit more IRFU push behind it.

No point in dick measuring either way, it's disappointing but the benefits to Irish rugby are obvious.

You deserve to say whatever you like under the end of time after the Keatley/Carr/Hagan/Cronin raid. :)

You deserve to say whatever you like under the end of time after the Keatley/Carr/Hagan/Cronin raid. :)

We avenged some of those in Edinburgh in 2016. Munster's turn will come... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

If it happens, McGrath definitely isn't the last person to go. Healy, Kearney and possibly Cronin will be following him. They want a last big pay day before they retire and Leinster have a thriving academy system that is capable of replacing them long term, Cronin might stay on a bit longer to give Kelleher time to develop but I think with Byrne and Tracy and Kelleher they might be able to get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The Indo article does confirm that he's on a central contract though.

Who was it that doubted me?! Show yourselves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

jonok28 wrote: »
    If it happens, McGrath definitely isn't the last person to go. Healy, Kearney and possibly Cronin will be following him. They want a last big pay day before they retire and Leinster have a thriving academy system that is capable of replacing them long term, Cronin might stay on a bit longer to give Kelleher time to develop but I think with Byrne and Tracy and Kelleher they might be able to get by.

Big difference in those situations though. If a senior player wants to move to make some good money in his final contract after his peak, go for it. They'll leave with the support of most fans, I'd imagine.

McGrath is a slightly different situation. At 29 and a current test Lion, he is high profile and at his peak age. The move is being done to get him game time and benefit his Irish career. I don't really have any issue with it. He deserves to be starting somewhere so all the best to him but I'll be very sorry to see him go. He has been the consumate professional in his time at Leinster showing superb durability and consistency.

I think Cronin's deal runs until the end of next season at which point he'll be 34. I reckon he'll look for a 1 year deal or retire at that point. I don't think he could command the payday that the others could.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jack looking to join the glorious revolution.

Welcome aboard comrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster have by far the largest schools system/academy/conveyor belt of talent. You can't hoard players on the bench forever. Good players want to play, not to sit on the bench for years on end. You enjoy the benefits of that system but you have to accept the flip side that you don't own the players, they are free agents.

I broadly agree, but rugby is a 23 man game, the bench is part of the team a very vital part. We are not talking about players here who are not getting first team rugby or who’s international aspirations are being lessened. Players are free agents they make they’re choices and that’s fine. It’s worked well for Jordi and Joey. Doesn’t mean fans aren’t going to be upset when they go. But there is a certain smugness (jealousy) from other provinces fans that’s probably grating just a tad.
    Leinster are double champions. They have wrapped up a home semi-final with weeks to spare and have a home HCC quarter-final coming up where they are favourites.

You won't get much sympathy from the rest of us! :D

Stick to purple, it suits you better than green :P
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    As a Connacht fan we've been there. It happens. Other players step up, the world keeps turning.

As a matter of interest when was the last time Connacht lost 3 international players in 12 months to other provinces?

It's not as bad as Carbery. He's been in poor form and he'll be 30 during the world cup. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt but it isn't as bad as losing probably your best prospect since Garry Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jonok28 wrote: »

I’d be beyond surprised if Healy was on the way out if Mc Grath is on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's not as bad as Carbery. He's been in poor form and he'll be 30 during the world cup. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt but it isn't as bad as losing probably your best prospect since Garry Ringrose.

Mc Grath May not go to the WC he’s third choice LH currently with 5 probably traveling he could be disappointed.

James Ryan was a better prospect than Joey.

James Ryan was a better prospect than Joey.

Was he? Hindsight is 20/20.

But fair enough if he was. He's certainly the best prospect in the backs that we've had since Ringrose.

Was he? Hindsight is 20/20.

Yes he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Larmour and James Ryan both came with more hype I would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d be beyond surprised if Healy was on the way out if Mc Grath is on the way out.

I don't think it would be crazy for Healy after playing brilliantly for the last 18 months and nearly being forced into retirement to go abroad and cash in for his last contract when Leinster have two young props in Dooley and Byrne waiting to get their chance. It definitely wouldn't be ideal to lose both props but I think the older Leinster players don't have much left to prove and it makes sense for them to cash in abroad after the World Cup like Sean O'Brien. I think if the money is right Healy could stay on with Leinster but I just don't see them matching what the French clubs would probably offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement