Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

How do people see Joe Tomane fitting back in when he's back fit? Should they de-register Conor O'Brien and reinstate Tomane to the European squad?

No Conor O Brien is to the manor born. But it will get interesting over the coming seasons with Turner and Hawkshaw coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Heymans wrote: »
    No Conor O Brien is to the manor born. But it will get interesting over the coming seasons with Turner and Hawkshaw coming through

Tomane has a lot more big game experience than O'Brien - 17 caps for the Wallabies, including a Lions Test series.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can he not take Nick Mccartys place?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    can he not take Nick Mccartys place?

McCarthy was removed when Patterson was registered, I think.

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s funny, lots of people on here call for experimentation, call for building depth. Yet when it actually happens, suddenly it’s a negative thing. To have a look at some fringe players, others have to make way. We have seen a lot of players getting a chance this 6N. It’s called squad development in meaningful games.

I think there is a difference between experimentation 2 - 3 years out from a World cup and 6-7 months from a world cup.

At this point it's hard to know what is still experimentation and what is finalising the optimal combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think there is a difference between experimentation 2 - 3 years out from a World cup and 6-7 months from a world cup.

At this point it's hard to know what is still experimentation and what is finalising the optimal combinations.

I think there is a bit of both, the starting 15 is pretty nailed on if all fit. The bench and wider squad maybe not so much. Of the 31 that travel, there will be at least 4-5 injuries over there. Of the provisional 31 that should travel probably 3-4 more. So we probably need 40 players to pick from. Joe already knows what Cronin brings, probably Porter the same. He definitely knows what Jack McGrath can bring. Over the course of this 6N there must have been about 45 players or more in camp. Getting exposure to high level match preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There's no question that Ryan is in pole position as backup TH now but either way Porter will still travel.

Cronin is facing an uphill battle and IMO he's not competing with other people, he's got other issues to tackle.

It won't take much for McGrath to regain his spot as he has so much proven quality but he needs to get motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hopefully the VdF injury isn't too serious. With Leavy still out and SoB struggling for form we could have a problem at openside for the European QF.

On the plus side, Ringrose is back and was superb today. Ryan was motm and our props were phenomenal in the tight.

Clegg wrote: »
    Hopefully the VdF injury isn't too serious. With Leavy still out and SoB struggling for form we could have a problem at openside for the European QF.

On the plus side, Ringrose is back and was superb today. Ryan was motm and our props were phenomenal in the tight.

I wonder whether Connors will be back anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »

SoB is just struggling for full fitness. Hard to come back from injury and get dropped into an out of form Ireland...

Plus he was the only centre at times carrying the ball with Standargone. Stick him in with Conan and Ruddock and see what damage they can do.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There's no question that Ryan is in pole position as backup TH now but either way Porter will still travel.

Cronin is facing an uphill battle and IMO he's not competing with other people, he's got other issues to tackle.

It won't take much for McGrath to regain his spot as he has so much proven quality but he needs to get motoring.

Really?

I don't see it that way at all.

The way I see it is we've 3 tightheads who are all capable of high level rugby. The advantage of giving them all game time in such an important position especially so close to a RWC is huge.

Porter has played 2 games, Ryan has played 2 and they've pretty much the same amount of minutes and I think it would be a hard sell to say one has done better than the other this tournament so far.

I am disappointed to see McGrath out in the cold though. But Killer has been in very good form. To be fair to him he has been carrying like each one is his last one and it's been very reliable front foot ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Really?

I don't see it that way at all.

The way I see it is we've 3 tightheads who are all capable of high level rugby. The advantage of giving them all game time in such an important position especially so close to a RWC is huge.

Porter has played 2 games, Ryan has played 2 and they've pretty much the same amount of minutes and I think it would be a hard sell to say one has done better than the other this tournament so far.

I am disappointed to see McGrath out in the cold though. But Killer has been in very good form. To be fair to him he has been carrying like each one is his last one and it's been very reliable front foot ball

This^

The idea that Porter could have played all of these games and giving Ryan some scraps in the warmups as adequate preperation is madness.

This is what rotation looks like.

After the match Schmidt said they were hopeful that VdF would be back for the Wales game. Still think with the way he limped off it was a bad enough injury.

But hopefully he'll be fit for the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

With Edinburgh up next, I expect we'll see a very strong team.
    Leavy should be available as should S.O.B.
    Jack McGrath most likely will play, as he's not played much for Ireland.
    I reckon we'll see
    McGrath
    Treacy
    Porter
    Molony
    Kearney
    Ruddock
    SOB
    Deegan
    JGP
    RB
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    ROL
    Daly

Dooley
    Byrne
    Bent
    Dowling
    Leavy
    Luke?
    Frawley
    DK

At least I hope we see a similar type side. I think we can really put up a performance and win away to a tough side.
    The best part of the season is upon us!

Dubinusa wrote: »
    With Edinburgh up next, I expect we'll see a very strong team.
    Leavy should be available as should S.O.B.
    Jack McGrath most likely will play, as he's not played much for Ireland.
    I reckon we'll see
    McGrath
    Treacy
    Porter
    Molony
    Kearney
    Ruddock
    SOB
    Deegan
    JGP
    RB
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    ROL
    Daly

Dooley
    Byrne
    Bent
    Dowling
    Leavy
    Luke?
    Frawley
    DK

At least I hope we see a similar type side. I think we can really put up a performance and win away to a tough side.
    The best part of the season is upon us!

We don’t need to go strong though, yes McGrath and Porter will need gametime but we might not risk JGP. Even Ross Byrne may be rested here. We have a few injuries already from Ireland duty, not much point risking more in a dead rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

stephen_n wrote: »
    We don’t need to go strong though, yes McGrath and Porter will need gametime but we might not risk JGP. Even Ross Byrne may be rested here. We have a few injuries already from Ireland duty, not much point risking more in a dead rubber.

JGP might sit out, especially as Luke will hopefully be fit.

Not much point in resting Byrne though. He hasn't played much rugby over the last 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe not, but Leavy needs match time as does SOB?
    Lowe has not played much and neither has Henshaw.
    I think it's a good warm up for the Ulster match.
    I expect to beat Edinburgh, if some of these lads play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

This is the only match before Ulster, we can't go that weak. Although we can go with a bench that means subbing off our front line internationals early.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Maybe not, but Leavy needs match time as does SOB?
    Lowe has not played much and neither has Henshaw.
    I think it's a good warm up for the Ulster match.
    I expect to beat Edinburgh, if some of these lads play.

Forgot about Henshaw, he probably needs a run out alright, probably RK too if he doesn’t make the Welsh game.

I suppose they will be picking two from the three of Lowe, Gibson-Park and Fardy for Ulster. A lot will depend on whether or not Toner and Luke McGrath are available. Even if McGrath is available, JGP could get in as he's been playing very well this season. But realistically Leinster could put out a very strong team without any of their imports. There are good alternatives for all of Cronin, Bent, Fardy, JGP, Lowe, Henshaw and Tomane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I suppose they will be picking two from the three of Lowe, Gibson-Park and Fardy for Ulster. A lot will depend on whether or not Toner and Luke McGrath are available. Even if McGrath is available, JGP could get in as he's been playing very well this season. But realistically Leinster could put out a very strong team without any of their imports. There are good alternatives for all of Cronin, Bent, Fardy, JGP, Lowe, Henshaw and Tomane.

Toner on podcast and says 5-6 weeks and wont be back for Qtr's

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Toner on podcast and says 5-6 weeks and wont be back for Qtr's

Probably looking at Fardy starting then, although 4. Molony, 5. Ryan; 19. Kearney would be good enough to take Ulster on.

That could mean that Lowe misses out. If that's the case, I'd like to see Rory O'Loughlin start on the left wing, with Conor O'Brien in the 12 jumper.

Ulster are starting to look like a gnarly enough team. They're winning tough fixtures and fixtures they're making tough for themselves but they're playing with a lot of belief and there isn't a heap of them away with camps at any given time.

I reckon Leinsters forwards will have a bit too much over the 80 minutes, but I still think that could be a right dogfight with plenty of Ulster 'away' support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There are good alternatives for all of Cronin, Bent, Fardy, JGP, Lowe, Henshaw and Tomane.

What have you got against these 7?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ulster are starting to look like a gnarly enough team. They're winning tough fixtures and fixtures they're making tough for themselves but they're playing with a lot of belief and there isn't a heap of them away with camps at any given time.

I reckon Leinsters forwards will have a bit too much over the 80 minutes, but I still think that could be a right dogfight with plenty of Ulster 'away' support asylum seekers.

FYP

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What have you got against these 7?

What does anyone have against non-Leinster-produced players when they laud Leinster for having lots of homegrown talent in their ranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What does anyone have against non-Leinster-produced players when they laud Leinster for having lots of homegrown talent in their ranks?

Sean Cronin has played rugby in Leinster for the guts of a decade now

It's a very, very strange mindset that would think some academy lad is more deserving of a Leinster jersey than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But Leinster do have lots of home grown talent

Adding to that especially with a few SH players is no bad thing. They add a lot of value

Fardy and Henshaw are crucial players for Leinster. Some still have reservations over Henshaw's attacking game at 12, but in defence he's levels above all other inside centres. Toner is out for at least another month and he'll be needed in the row to help nullify Iain Henderson.

Molony and CoB have performed well this season and clearly improving as players. But in a European knock out game there's no way I'd choose them over the others.

• Advertisement

Xenophobia is far more important than winning!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement