Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Any STHs heading to the 'Meet the Coaches Q&A' tomorrow? Should be a bit of craic but no idea what to expect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Any STHs heading to the 'Meet the Coaches Q&A' tomorrow? Should be a bit of craic but no idea what to expect.

Yep, the last one was very good - Stuart Lancaster was very interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I see it has been confirmed that the semi against Racing will definitely be in their own stadium. Was that known before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I see it has been confirmed that the semi against Racing will definitely be in their own stadium. Was that known before?

It was confirmed that EPCR would consider home venues, and I think they specifically named U Arena as one that would be considered.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The home country but not home stadium rule is a bit weird anyway, cause some clubs (like Leinster) have pretty much got two home stadiums so it's of no consequence for them. It's a hard rule to properly enforce fairly.

• Advertisement

It was confirmed that EPCR would consider home venues, and I think they specifically named U Arena as one that would be considered.

Ok, well hey have confirmed U Arena as the definite venue now. Will be awfully tough if we get there.
    awec wrote: »
    The home country but not home stadium rule is a bit weird anyway, cause some clubs (like Leinster) have pretty much got two home stadiums so it's of no consequence for them. It's a hard rule to properly enforce fairly.

That rule hasn't existed for a few years anyway.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ok, well hey have confirmed U Arena as the definite venue now. Will be awfully tough if we get there.

I think Toulouse have a pretty good shot at winning there in the QF so it may not even arise.

I think Toulouse have a pretty good shot at winning there in the QF so it may not even arise.

Yeah, definitely plausible and something we should be hoping for. Mind you, I think Leinster are well capable of winning there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Definitely think Russell could be got at in a tight SF. I'd fancy our chances away in Paris, though it would be a very close game.

Vakh, Barry Daly and Joe Tomane added to Euro squad. No details on who is being dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Vakh, Barry Daly and Joe Tomane added to Euro squad. No details on who is being dropped.

You can register three additional players (one must be a front row) for the knockout stages without de-registering anyone .

Kevski wrote: »
    You can register three additional players (one must be a front row) for the knockout stages without de-registering anyone .

Ah yes, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

If Robbie doesn't make it in time for the quarters do we go ROL Ringrose or COB Ringrose?

ROL has had some excellent showings there but COB is the closest like for like in terms of carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

If Robbie doesn't make it in time for the quarters do we go ROL Ringrose or COB Ringrose?

ROL has had some excellent showings there but COB is the closest like for like in terms of carrying.

Interesting one. ROL should also be considered for a role on the left wing in my opinion, although that hasn't really been happening lately at all.

Cullen really has presented Lancaster with a bit of a problem with his Tomane signing. They have to be seen to be picking him, as he's a big name player. But, realistically, there are better options at 12 (Henshaw, O'Loughlin, O'Brien, Reid) and on the left wing (Lowe, O'Loughlin, Daly, Kearney). Lancaster certainly won't be thanking Cullen for the extra headache as he gears up for a push at the double again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Interesting one. ROL should also be considered for a role on the left wing in my opinion, although that hasn't really been happening lately at all.

Cullen really has presented Lancaster with a bit of a problem with his Tomane signing. They have to be seen to be picking him, as he's a big name player. But, realistically, there are better options at 12 (Henshaw, O'Loughlin, O'Brien, Reid) and on the left wing (Lowe, O'Loughlin, Daly, Kearney). Lancaster certainly won't be thanking Cullen for the extra headache as he gears up for a push at the double again.

No they don't? That silly. Cullen/Lancaster will have no hesitation in picking the best team - import or otherwise. Its not like Leinster have a history of signing big players and then not picking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yes.

Lancaster will be fuming about trying to select an 18 times capped Wallaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Clegg wrote: »
    Yes.

Lancaster will be fuming about trying to select an 18 times capped Wallaby.

I’d say he’s snapping about it alright. I hear lots of coaches don’t like having to choose between quality players.

Just reading on Facebook that Cullen has a two year extension to his contract and Lancaster has been retained although no info on that. Good news

Leo Cullen has signed a new two year deal and Lancaster has signed on as well for two years.

Absolutely fantastic news.

Am here myself at OLSC event where it was announced.

Cullen and Lancaster have been phenomenally successful appointments for Leinster. The senior side has won everything and they've also been so good in giving Leinster's young players a shot. You can tell how well coached the younger guys are when they drop into the 23 and don't look out of place.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Cullen and Lancaster have been phenomenally successful appointments for Leinster. The senior side has won everything and they've also been so good in giving Leinster's young players a shot. You can tell how well coached the younger guys are when they drop into the 23 and don't look out of place.

I think it's mostly down to Lancaster. Cullen was very conservative in his first year. I think Adam Byrne only got 3 starts that season, and that type of thing. Jordi Murphy parachuted back in for Europe even though van der Flier had been performing brilliantly in the League. Ringrose only given a start in Europe once they were already out. Who in their right mind thinks 12. Fitzgerald, 13 Te'o is a balanced centre partnership??

There's been a bit of luck along the way too. If Tomane hadn't got injured, Conor O'Brien would have been left holding tackle bags and twiddling his thumbs in the stands and we'd have had people giving it the old "if he's not good enough to get past Tomane, then he's not good enough for Leinster" line.

Sangre wrote: »
    No they don't? That silly. Cullen/Lancaster will have no hesitation in picking the best team - import or otherwise. Its not like Leinster have a history of signing big players and then not picking them.

Ho do you explain Tomane over O'Loughlin for European games earlier this season? I think it's quite obvious that pr man Cullen thought/thinks exotic Tri-Nations player Tomane is more marketable than O'Loughlin. It's all about making Leinster bigger as a brand. It's difficult to see how that selection was based on rugby playing merit.

Can’t believe who’s pushing the foreign coach over the indigenous one.

Personally I think Leinster’s current success is grounded in very good coaching from a range of people with a shrewd operator at the top who’s ego isn’t dinted or threatened by bringing in the best he can to help him. This for me makes Leo a top coach.

salmocab wrote: »
    Can’t believe who’s pushing the foreign coach over the indigenous one.

Personally I think Leinster’s current success is grounded in very good coaching from a range of people with a shrewd operator at the top who’s ego isn’t dinted or threatened by bringing in the best he can to help him. This for me makes Leo a top coach.

They're a good team. Cullen as pr manager. Lancaster as coach. Cullen's role is a bit like what Alistair Campbell did on the 2005 Lions Tour.

They're a good team. Cullen as pr manager. Lancaster as coach. Cullen's role is a bit like what Alistair Campbell did on the 2005 Lions Tour.

PR would you give it a break. Utter nonsense even by your standard.

salmocab wrote: »
    PR would you give it a break. Utter nonsense even by your standard.

I think Cullen's legacy as a coach is finishing bottom of the pool in Europe, releasing Tadhg Beirne, and getting comprehensively outclassed by Connacht in the Pro12 Final. Based on Leinster's performance that season, we had establishment figure Gordon Darcy saying that it was impossible for the provinces to compete in Europe anymore and that most of the Euro pools would be over by Christmas.

I think Cullen's legacy as a coach is finishing bottom of the pool in Europe, releasing Tadhg Beirne, and getting comprehensively outclassed by Connacht in the Pro12 Final. Based on Leinster's performance that season, we had establishment figure Gordon Darcy saying that it was impossible for the provinces to compete in Europe anymore and that most of the Euro pools would be over by Christmas.

You are so nonsensically deluded that this sort of sh!te is actually funny.

So to be clear you think people will remember him for those things but not winning the double last year? I see you post a lot of rubbish and I often wonder do you actually believe this stuff or do you think your making some sort of point.

• Advertisement

Leo Cullen. The man who has assembled and developed one of the most effective group of forwards the country has ever produced and won both premier rugby tournaments in the Northern Hemisphere in the one season.

Is a failure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement