Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

sydthebeat wrote: »
    wow, leinster gone from +8 to +1 after teams announced.

Murphy possibly underpowered for the row and fault lines running through centre partnership.

Middle five good though, so who knows?

Ah stop. Just stop.

McGrath is the second best loosehead Ireland have ever had, and has been locked in battle for five years with the best loosehead we've ever had, and he's been pretty close all that time. He's played at every level of the game, from the Pro14 to the World Cup and Lions tests and he's never been found wanting.

He's in a serious slump for whatever reason but Ed Byrne is not a quarter of the player.

There are goldfish with acquired brain injury that have longer memories than some people here.

Dunno about that. Popplewell started all three Lions Tests in 1993.

Not a mention of Frawley at fullback? Has he played there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah, McGrath is in a slump. I'm not saying he should be picked regardless of form or fitness or whatever else is eating him.

But being in a slump does not make you a bad player. The last six years of being a test-quality prop don't go out the window. For me at least.

When did I say he was a bad player? McGrath WAS a great player and hasn't been for a while. Byrne is the better player. That may be temporary, it may not. But Byrne has been routinely picked ahead of McGrath for a months now because he's better.

I don't know if he's started there but he's been moved to fullback a few times. Did he play there against Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think it's a fairly average side. Murphy at lock is bizarre?
    Tomane straight back in, at 12? I reckon he's behind C.O.B at this stage?
    Frawley is good for a look at fb? He's certainly a good athlete.
    Ferg back too, would have thought A.B would need a game.
    Jack must be struggling still. At this rate I think he's most likely leaving!
    Luke back! Hope he gets a good run.
    I think we will struggle, we have a few lads returning and they may be rusty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

troyzer wrote: »
    Ed Byrne was being picked ahead of him months ago. And deservedly so, Byrne is the better player. I'd be shocked if he wasn't brought into Ireland camp for Six Nations 2020.
    We'll agree to disagree then. I'd be picking Ed Byrne over him any day of the week. At least at the moment.

Byrne may be playing better but McGrath is the better player. There's a world of difference between those 2 positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah a few times. First start there though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Covered there a couple of times, most notably against Connacht, but this is his first start at 15.

salmocab wrote: »
    Seems odd alright, I’d be starting to worry he’ll be getting a pain with lack of game time.

The only players with more minutes than him are Ruddock, Fardy, ROL, JGP and Adam Byrne.

While I want him playing more he knows the deal with the foreign player ruling. But he also knows that it expires at the end of this season. I am sure he can hang on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The only players with more minutes than him are Ruddock, Fardy, ROL, JGP and Adam Byrne.

While I want him playing more he knows the deal with the foreign player ruling. But he also knows that it expires at the end of this season. I am sure he can hang on
    The minutes aren’t generally in the big games to be fair, he’s missed out on a few of them.

• Advertisement

Ah stop. Just stop.

McGrath is the second best loosehead Ireland have ever had, and has been locked in battle for five years with the best loosehead we've ever had, and he's been pretty close all that time. He's played at every level of the game, from the Pro14 to the World Cup and Lions tests and he's never been found wanting.

He's in a serious slump for whatever reason but Ed Byrne is not a quarter of the player.

There are goldfish with acquired brain injury that have longer memories than some people here.

I just noticed you edited the comment with a snarky insult.

It has nothing to do with memory. I know how class McGrath was. Ed Byrne is better now which is all that mattters when selecting a team. Whether or not that's just temporary remains to be seen. We don't know if it's a slump.

All of this applies to Seán O'Brien as well. Dan Leavy is nowhere near as good as 2017 Seán O'Brien but he's the better player right now.

salmocab wrote: »
    The minutes aren’t generally in the big games to be fair, he’s missed out on a few of them.

Everyone has missed a fair few. Rotation will always happen.

But lack of game time or time in big games is a misnomer.

He's played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champions cup games.

Fardy has also played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champs cup games

JGP has also played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champs cup games

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Everyone has missed a fair few. Rotation will always happen.

But lack of game time or time in big games is a misnomer.

He's played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champions cup games.

Fardy has also played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champs cup games

JGP has also played in 3 Interpros and 4 Champs cup games

And Lowe was suspended for 2 of those HEC games too wasn’t he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

McGrath married a woman who's father is a raging Munster fan.....

My bet is he is putting poison into McGraths daily soup and this is affecting him, then when he moves suddenly Munster will come in and nab him

it is a devious plan....we have to put a stop to it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There'll be lots of top clubs looking at Lowe when his contract expires next year. He's a proven performer in the league and Europe. Hopefully the lure of test rugby, the pay bump that goes with it, will be enough to stop him signing for clubs with bigger cheque books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    There'll be lots of top clubs looking at Lowe when his contract expires next year. He's a proven performer in the league and Europe. Hopefully the lure of test rugby, the pay bump that goes with it, will be enough to stop him signing for clubs with bigger cheque books.

He was clear he signed for Leinster for money, he could potentially have a shorter career than any other player so he needs to make money

Even with Irish money it wont match a English/French club

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He was clear he signed for Leinster for money, he could potentially have a shorter career than any other player so he needs to make money

Even with Irish money it wont match a English/French club

Or he could also stay in Ireland on a nice wedge of cash and not be absolutely flogged like he would be in England/France and avail of proper player welfare structures.

The silver lining if Lowe did leave would be more gametime opening up on the left wing for O'Loughlin and Daly in the biggest games. They're both more than good enough.

The silver lining if Lowe did leave would be more gametime opening up on the left wing for O'Loughlin and Daly in the biggest games. They're both more than good enough.

Lowe is far better than either though.

Clegg wrote: »
    Lowe is far better than either though.

If Lowe was playing the way he does now in New Zealand, he'd be making a serious push for the All Blacks World Cup squad.

It's night and day between him and the likes of Daly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If Lowe was playing the way he does now in New Zealand, he'd be making a serious push for the All Blacks World Cup squad.

It's night and day between him and the likes of Daly.

But Lowe doesn't play now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Ah stop. Just stop.

I dunno. Phillip Orr had a brilliant tache and belly back in the 80s. That's what a proper prop should be.

Ross Byrne has dropped out of the team and Ciaran Frawley will move to 10. Jimmy O'Brien will now start at 15 and Gavin Mullin comes into the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Either Byrne is injured or Sexton is and he is being minded for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

durthacht wrote: »
    I dunno. Phillip Orr had a brilliant tache and belly back in the 80s. That's what a proper prop should be.

These new modern fans forgetting what being a prop is all about. Bet Phil could down a pint quicker than either of them too no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Either Byrne is injured or Sexton is and he is being minded for Ulster

Sexton was never in contention for playing today, injury or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sexton was never in contention for playing today, injury or otherwise.

He means that Sexton could be injured and that Byrne is being minded for Ulster.

The tweet from Leinster says that "Ross Byrne has been pulled from the team" which is an odd choice of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

He means that Sexton could be injured and that Byrne is being minded for Ulster.

The tweet from Leinster says that "Ross Byrne has been pulled from the team" which is an odd choice of words.

What he said.

Great opportunity for Frawley to start against some serious opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What he said.

Great opportunity for Frawley to start against some serious opposition.

Ah apologies for the misread, I understand.

It's certainly possible, wasn't Byrne left on the bench unused against Ulster earlier in the season from a Pro14 game exactly for this purpose?

Either way, great to see Frawley at 10.

• Advertisement

Ah stop. Just stop.

Yet he's considering going to Ulster as he's not getting gametime. He's not half the player he once was. Class is permanent and all that but apparently not for McGrath for some time now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement