Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,680 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    In fairness to him Ulster seemed to live offside all day, they had shooters coming out of the line who were nearly reaching him before the ball did.

We need to talk about..... The offside line.

We also need to talk about.... Coming through the middle of a ruck, no standing defenders.... You can't pick the ball up as second man in... You can't kick through with your foot... You can't ruck the 9 out..... What do you do?

What DO you do??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Never quite understood the point at which you can't ruck through against the 9. Seems very arbitrary to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think you can step over the ball and pick it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Never quite understood the point at which you can't ruck through against the 9. Seems very arbitrary to me.

It’s not arbitrary at all, once a ruck is called you can’t play the 9. These days a ruck is formed almost instantaneously from a tackle.

I think you can step over the ball and pick it

Not anymore, once a ruck is formed you have the drive over the ball and the player coming in behind can pick it, but not the person rucking over it afaik.

• Advertisement

Not anymore, once a ruck is formed you have the drive over the ball and the player coming in behind can pick it, but not the person rucking over it afaik.

Yes, and if the only defender is the 9, you're not allowed touch him...

Its a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes, and if the only defender is the 9, you're not allowed touch him...

Its a bit ridiculous

How is driving over the ruck playing the 9 though? Seems inconsistently ruled imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Should Penny be given a run at 7? he has looked good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Should Penny be given a run at 7? he has looked good

I’d be surprised if Penny didn’t get some decent game time over the next two weeks given that VDF and Leavy are now out for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think it's too soon for Penny to take part in these matches. Deegan. Has performed excellent across the backrow this season. I reckon he'll get another league game at 7 and will be on the bench for The semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Clegg wrote: »
    We're really missing Henshaw. That's an obvious statement, but he's simply so much better in defense than any other 12 we have. Often leads the entire defensive line as well. We're missing linespeed right now in his absence.

I agree , but I really worry for long term future for Henshaw , the amount of injuries he picks up - hopefully he returns fully fit for WC , and gets a good run of games - the past few seasons this has not seamed possible - for Ireland to do well at WC we need him , as do leinster

thebaz wrote: »
    I agree , but I really worry for long term future for Henshaw , the amount of injuries he picks up - hopefully he returns fully fit for WC , and gets a good run of games - the past few seasons this has not seamed possible - for Ireland to do well at WC we need him , as do leinster

Tis grand.

We've auld Joe to step in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Henshaws issues starrted when be bulked up for Ireland when he was still in Connacht and have got worse ever since. Just can't get himself sorted properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Henshaws issues starrted when be bulked up for Ireland when he was still in Connacht and have got worse ever since. Just can't get himself sorted properly.

It’s nothing to do with him bulking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Devastated for Leavy, really takes away from the win for me :(

For him personally and for the team it really is such a huge blow. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Need Sexton Henshaw Toner back for the SF in 3 weeks. Can see Fardy dropping to 6 and Ruddock shifting to 7.

Conan has taken a huge step forward this season.

VDF Leavy definitely out
    SOB just isn't delivering anymore

Saracens are favourites for the tournament now. If the other SF is in Dublin think Leinster have a chance of making the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm delighted for Adam Byrne. Earlier in the season he was playing with the A side and not making the 23 for Pro 14 games. Now he's scoring trys in European QF's. He's improved a lot.

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm delighted for Adam Byrne. Earlier in the season he was playing with the A side and not making the 23 for Pro 14 games. Now he's scoring trys in European QF's. He's improved a lot.

His defence is still not great, he bit in again for Stockdales non try and fell off a tackle on him early on too. It’s frustrating as he offers so much in attack. It’s great that he seems to have his confidence back. When he backs himself he always makes yards and is such a threat in the air.

Gutted for Leavy. Really really tough stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What happened to Leavy? Didn’t see any replays at the time and no one seemed to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    What happened to Leavy? Didn’t see any replays at the time and no one seemed to know.

Looked like someone fell on him.

I knew straight away it was bad. He was writhing in agony but his left leg was completely motionless. Horrible sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »

Hyper extension of his leg at a ruck if I remember correctly. Was fairly nasty and the broadcast decided not to replay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hyper extension of his leg at a ruck if I remember correctly. Was fairly nasty and the broadcast decided not to replay it.

Ah glad I didn’t see that so, I’m terrible seeing that stuff, don’t mind a bit of blood but that stuff makes me weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I would say multi ligament damage, potentially ACL and LCL.

Leg bent entirely as it shouldn't have.

Feel so so gutted for the guy, a really horrible injury for a guy who doesn't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did they replay it at all? or just say they wouldnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

They said they wouldn't. If you type Dan Leavy into Youtube, its shot to the top of the search list but it isn't nice viewing on re-watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Horrible for Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leinster won't be winning in Paris or against Saracens with the back row they'll field at this point. Even if they go with Fardy (which they should) they'll automatically lose out in the backs with JGP or Lowe missing.

SOB is done at this level now for me. He was working hard but really failed to spark. A couple of big clear outs though and put himself about in defence. Hopefully he gets better with more games but the issue is that he's unlikely to get a run of games without copping another injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's a pity Scott Penny isn't a year older. Part of me would love to see him get a go in a huge game but it would be such a step up in the physical stakes compared to what he's faced so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭KH25

His defence is still not great, he bit in again for Stockdales non try and fell off a tackle on him early on too. It’s frustrating as he offers so much in attack. It’s great that he seems to have his confidence back. When he backs himself he always makes yards and is such a threat in the air.

I thought it was noticeable a few times yesterday that when he jumped to contest a ball in the air he looked very apprehensive, as if he didn't want to take contact. When he backed himself he looked far more imposing in the air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement