Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    I thought the rules had changed around pros playing in the amateur game?
    They havent. Contracted players can play division 1. Limit of 6 per team per game. But if havent played in at least 3 of the earlier rounds cant play last 4 rounds of competition.
    So taking it seriously.... he would be allowed play AIL if it wasnt so late in the season

awec wrote: »
    I thought the rules had changed around pros playing in the amateur game?
    They havent. Contracted players can play division 1. Limit of 6 per team per game. But if havent played in at least 3 of the earlier rounds cant play last 4 rounds of competition.
    So taking it seriously.... he would be allowed play AIL if it wasnt so late in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Story in IT today so either the joke has been very successful or it is actually happening

Time will tell I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Riskymove wrote: »
    Story in IT today so either the joke has been very successful or it is actually happening

Time will tell I guess...

Devon Toners instagram story says it was April Fool. Looks like the IT got done

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dan Leavy's injury sounds really nasty. A real blow at this point of a RWC season.

I hope he recovers fully and quickly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Altough this is an April Fool, if it is in the national intrest the IRFU can allow a front line national player play in AIL if it is the best intrests of the National team for his recovery, so if that was the case it is concievable that it could happen altough highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Apologies for the side track post but can any one help me i've never bought a ticket to a knockout game in Europe at the Aviva and checked on the site and tickets are unavailable,

how do people buy tickets to the match if living in the UK? or do I have to know someone involved with a rugby club in Ireland,

Sorry if this is a dumb post Im just not sure how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Apologies for the side track post but can any one help me i've never bought a ticket to a knockout game in Europe at the Aviva and checked on the site and tickets are unavailable,

how do people buy tickets to the match if living in the UK? or do I have to know someone involved with a rugby club in Ireland,

They aren’t for sale yet, I’m sure details will be here when they are, you can buy on ticket master and print. Shouldn’t have too much trouble getting one but I’d say don’t hang around either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Tickets for the semi final are organised by EPCR, not Leinster. There will probably be a pre-sale for Leinster season ticket holders, an allocation offered to Toulouse and then whatever is left over after corporates etc will go on public sale.

There hasn't been any word yet on timelines or anything. Just sit tight, you'll be able to get a ticket. It's not like an international.

You can also get a Leinster associate account if you live overseas, I think it gives you access to these presales and might suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Has there been any word if his central contract has been renewed, I think I saw reported somewhere previously that he was on one.
    Given he has slid down the pecking order a small bit recently would it have been under threat i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

8-9 days before the game I was told so that sounds like the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

testtech05 wrote: »
    Has there been any word if his central contract has been renewed, I think I saw reported somewhere previously that he was on one.
    Given he has slid down the pecking order a small bit recently would it have been under threat i wonder?

He’s still contracted with the IRFU till 2020, which I assume means the end of next season, not January. It’s unlikely at this stage he would get another one, but that will depend on him regaining second spot before the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Wouldnt mind seeing Ronan Kelleher get another run - looks like a serious player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A poster on Babbling Brook said Leavy suffered the following: Hamstring and calf torn off the bone, a torn ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL and a broken fibula.

If that's true then he'll be lucky to walk properly again. And if somehow he makes a return to rugby, I don't expect him to come back for at least another 18-24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Clegg wrote: »
    A poster on Babbling Brook said Leavy suffered the following: Hamstring and calf torn off the bone, a torn, ACL ,MCL, PCL, LCL and a broken fibula.

If that's true then he'll be lucky to walk properly again. And if somehow he makes a return to rugby, I don't expect him to come back for at least another 18-24 months.

Jesus. I tore my calf off the bone once, it was excruciating. I can't imagine that pain along with all those other injuries.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A poster on Babbling Brook said Leavy suffered the following: Hamstring and calf torn off the bone, a torn ACL , MCL, PCL, LCL and a broken fibula.

giphy.gif

That definitely sounds like a career ender.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

A poster on Babbling Brook said Leavy suffered the following: Hamstring and calf torn off the bone, a torn ACL , MCL, PCL, LCL and a broken fibula.

Jesus, if thats true then his career is in serious jeopardy.

Video of the incident going around and the ulster player comes in the side, straight off his feet into leavys leg and his whole leg just buckles. Hopefully might encourage the refs to police this sort of "rucking" much more sternly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So what you’re saying is Leavy will come back with a bionic leg?

• Advertisement

The only other athelete I can think of with a similar injury is Robert Edwards. He was a first round pick at running back for the Patriots in 1998 and had an epic rookie season but blew up his knee in a touch football game I think just after? He didn't play for over two years and was a third stringer at best. One year and he was dumped out again to play CFL.

That was 20 years ago, hopefully things are better now. I only remember this guy because ESPN did a special on him a while ago, they were talking about amputation initially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So what you’re saying is Leavy will come back with a bionic leg?

That was exactlythe first thought that popped into my head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That was exactlythe first thought that popped into my head :p

On the bright side, doesn’t look like he damaged his knee cartilage...

(If those injuries are correct, it will be a marvel of modern medicine if he ever plays professional rugby again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I really, really, really hope all of the above isn't true. Forgetting about rugby for a second, he would be lucky to walk properly and without pain again if all of the above has happened

Similar to what I heard separately. You can't even operate with that much damage due to swelling and the prognosis for a return to play isn't positive. Truly hope he can work through it and get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who knows what the exact details are, when I heard 'complex' yesterday i figured it to be at least multiple tears with a bone break somewhere. I mean jesus christ to have that at 24 he's looking at life changing mobility issues later in life if not sooner. Is it really worth it?

I know it was up to the player, but the McGrath move should've been nixed one way or another. One bad day out for ole glass jaw Healy and we're goosed, and lets face it, our luck is not in just now. We are so light in some places now its not funny and so-called depth is only of value when everyone is fit and you can rotate seamlessly at the business end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would take it if mc Grath is moving on then everyone is confident Healy is going nowhere soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Who knows what the exact details are, when I heard 'complex' yesterday i figured it to be at least multiple tears with a bone break somewhere. I mean jesus christ to have that at 24 he's looking at life changing mobility issues later in life if not sooner. Is it really worth it?

I know it was up to the player, but the McGrath move should've been nixed one way or another. One bad day out for ole glass jaw Healy and we're goosed, and lets face it, our luck is not in just now. We are so light in some places now its not funny and so-called depth is only of value when everyone is fit and you can rotate seamlessly at the business end of the season.

McGrath is brillant player but he will be 30 after the World Cup. Cian will be 32.

Not a whole pile of light between both of our top players. For Leinster to stay at the top they need to progress a younger player and bring him forward, challange Healy and hopefully replace him.

That is not going to happen with McGrah and Healy in the squad. It doesn't make sense to pay both players and then drop them for big games. So a call had to be made for long term future. At the moment Healy is the starting Leinster and Ireland player so he is kept and McGrath is let go. Is it right decision, time will tell

Now it is time for one of the academy players to step up and fill McGrath boots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Leinster have lost a lot of their depth since this time last year.

Isa, Jordi, Heaslip, J. McGrath, Carbury, N. McCarthy being or have moved on.

Then Josh and Leavy out long term. Need Henshaw and Toner back asap.

ugh.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    McGrath is brillant player but he will be 30 after the World Cup. Cian will be 32.

Not a whole pile of light between both of our top players. For Leinster to stay at the top they need to progress a younger player and bring him forward, challange Healy and hopefully replace him.

That is not going to happen with McGrah and Healy in the squad. It doesn't make sense to pay both players and then drop them for big games. So a call had to be made for long term future. At the moment Healy is the starting Leinster and Ireland player so he is kept and McGrath is let go. Is it right decision, time will tell

Now it is time for one of the academy players to step up and fill McGrath boots
    Its not really for academy player to step up and fill McGraths boots but the two senior contracted looseheads in Dooley and Ed Byrne

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement