Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

People keep saying that McGrath has been dropped because he's leaving, but SOB is getting games and being named captain. Maybe McGrath is being dropped because he isn't playing well enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

molloyjh wrote: »
    People keep saying that McGrath has been dropped because he's leaving, but SOB is getting games and being named captain. Maybe McGrath is being dropped because he isn't playing well enough?

It may be nothing. Equally, we know Jack looked for the move. I'm guessing Sean was told that it was time to move on to get one last deal. For the record i think Jack was right to move, but the circumstances might feel a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cheers Leinster. A great bunch of lads! :)

I'm guessing most Munster fans will be supporting Leinster tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

molloyjh wrote: »

Also a possibility. I might just be very cynical ha.

That cynical part of me does think that if VDF and Leavy were fit, SOB might have played his last game for Leinster last week too.

To be fair to Ed Byrne though. He has been playing at lot better than McGrath in a Leinster setting for a few months now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

No Fardy or Lowe is interesting.

Potentially resting one or both for next week, but you could look at it a number of ways.

• Advertisement

McGrath has been dropped because he hasn't been good enough, simple. I can't remember his last great performance (whether due to injury or otherwise).

Ed Byrne has been playing very well and deserves his spot and claiming hes only benefiting from the move is doing him a great disservice.

If McGrath was being dropped because of his move, he'd be over in the Cara Cup. If he was good enough to play (a la SOB), he'd be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

salmocab wrote: »
    Will Connors first game back?
    Good to see jack Dunne starting I think he’s going to be very good. Wonder how we will be set next year in second row. No confirmation on either Nagle or Kearney yet as far as I can remember.

Wont be long before Baird is able to do a job at pro14 level either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Sean really really needs to show some form

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

scott1974 wrote: »
    Sexton must be fit for next weekend.

Wouldn't be confident with Sexton starting next week given the amount of time off and how poor his form was. I'd rather see Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Will Connors first game back?
    Good to see jack Dunne starting I think he’s going to be very good. Wonder how we will be set next year in second row. No confirmation on either Nagle or Kearney yet as far as I can remember.

No confirmation but the rumours are that Kearney is heading back to Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

McGrath has been dropped because he hasn't been good enough, simple. I can't remember his last great performance (whether due to injury or otherwise).

Ed Byrne has been playing very well and deserves his spot and claiming hes only benefiting from the move is doing him a great disservice.

If McGrath was being dropped because of his move, he'd be over in the Cara Cup. If he was good enough to play (a la SOB), he'd be playing.

The recency effect on this forum is absolutely jaw-dropping sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

No Fardy or Lowe is interesting.

Potentially resting one or both for next week, but you could look at it a number of ways.

how much rest does Lowe need ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sexton hasn't started so Sexton will not start against Toulouse. it would be a huge risk to start him in a semi with no game time at all under his belt since March and plus his last game was a disaster.

Byrne played and beat Toulouse already this season, so not like a huge risk. It is the players around Byrne I would be more concerned about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

How about the recency effect with the coaches? Because they're the ones not picking him.

How about the recency effect with the coaches? Because they're the ones not picking him.

I'm not arguing he should be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

People talk about his form a lot but I actually don't remember him having any bad game. sSure Ed Byrne is playing well but when has J McGrath had a stinker? Maybe I have just missed the games.

Jack Dunne?

Sangre wrote: »
    People talk about his form a lot but I actually don't remember him having any bad game. sSure Ed Byrne is playing well but when has J McGrath had a stinker? Maybe I have just missed the games.

He hasn't played well of late. Nothing horrendous but he's usually all over the pitch and he doesn't seem to have the same energy.

He had surgery in December and hasn't looked right since - fair enough, sometimes the operation doesn't really work or players take longer to get back into top form. It's a pity his Leinster career looks like it's going to peter out like this.

It just baffles me how quickly people forget everything that isn't right in front of their face right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    I still don’t understand why, either for him or Leinster.

Is it expected that a few players to leave? Kelleher is presumably replacing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it expected that a few players to leave? Kelleher is presumably replacing someone.

Fair few contracts up for renewal at the end of the season and been quiet enough on renewals fronts to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think its mostly succession planning given the age profiles of some of the back 3 eg McFadden and the Kearneys.

Kelleher has been around for a while but he is still only 24.

It was a genuine question and legitimate observation so how's it's 'jaw dropping' is a bit odd. I'm not saying he's not a good player, he's a great player.

I genuinely don't remember his last great performance against good opposition, hardly a 'recency effect' given that he's played very infrequently this year.

He's only had 323 Pro14 minutes and 110 HC minutes this year which is likely the reason I can't remember it, and obviously a key reason he's leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In fairness, i dont think people are being hard on Jack. We all (i think) wish him the best. He is third choice at the moment and it is because it is hard to remember him playing a really good game. I would completely back him to find his form again, but thats gonna be elsewhere.

He hasn't played well of late. Nothing horrendous but he's usually all over the pitch and he doesn't seem to have the same energy.

He had surgery in December and hasn't looked right since - fair enough, sometimes the operation doesn't really work or players take longer to get back into top form. It's a pity his Leinster career looks like it's going to peter out like this.

It just baffles me how quickly people forget everything that isn't right in front of their face right now.

So by your own admission he hasn't played well since his injury and prior to that he started only two games this season against Benetton and Munster and had two sub appearances.

So realistically he hasn't had a good run in at least 12 months and you're getting all uppity and 'baffled' because people don't remember it like it was yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sangre wrote: »

So when was it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Burkie1203 wrote: »

That’s sign language for ‘what have I done? Save me’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

stephen_n wrote: »
    Billy Dardis saying he was told he wasn’t getting a Contract because James Lowe was coming. We finally have proof of Johnny Foreigner blocking the path of Irish talent. Richie will be so happy.

Is it not bleedin obvious that, if you add someone, another player, further down the pecking order, will be bumped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

There was an interview with Dardis where he said the same thing months and months ago. No one picked it up then.

I do think Dardis would have gotten a senior cap if he didn't dislocate is shoulder in the 16/17 pre season but I don't think he would ever have been in line for a senior contract. James Lowe or not

Dardis kicked the ball instead of running it because he was scared of making mistakes. He needed a coach or teammate to have a quiet word and advise him to just relax and do what he was good at. Actually, this could be an example of where a signing from NZ or Aus could be of use in helping out homegrown players. I can imagine Lowe, with his carefree attitude, could have given him some useful advice to back himself.

Dardis was also a bit unlucky that his time coincided with MOC, who didn't like picking young backs, and rookie coaches Leo Cullen and Girvan Dempsey. Then he dislocated his shoulder when Lancaster came in. I think I read somewhere that Lancaster implemented a thing where all academy players will get some sort of opportunity before their time's up, so no more Dardises and Tom Farrells never getting a shot in four years, which is good, I think.

If the plan is to play Kelleher at fullback, I think I'd have preferred them to have a look at Dardis again now that he's matured as a player and found the confidence to do what he's good at.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Ulster have ruined Jordi

Is the Macarena only reaching Belfast now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement