Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    I would be shocked if Lowe was in the 23. Given our injuries at lock and in the back row, it would be madness to omit Fardy.

Aside from that, our other wingers are playing great stuff. DK in particular is on fire.

Ah I think it’ll be Fardy but it’s almost a shame to waste the kolpak on probably two subs and have Lowe miss out. Lowe just adds something in attack that we can miss, although as you say there are others performing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah I think it’ll be Fardy but it’s almost a shame to waste the kolpak on probably two subs and have Lowe miss out. Lowe just adds something in attack that we can miss, although as you say there are others performing very well.

Lowe is an excellent player and gives us a different level of incision but, due to the selection issue, it really makes almost zero sense to have him involved next week. Maybe they will but I'd strongly question it if they go with that.

If we even had someone like Leavy or VDF available, we could have Ruddock cover lock as we did against Saracens last year. But this year we're without Jordi Murphy, Leavy and VDF in the back row as well as Mick Kearney and Ross Molony at lock. As someone who can cover lock and the back row, Fardy is a guarantee. The possible option is that they go with Nick McCarthy instead of JGP which I think would be incredibly harsh on JGP but a more likely scenario. But due to a complete lack of game time for Nick McCarthy, it's also very hard to see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Fardy has to be involved. We need to play an 80 minute game of non stop industry up front. We need to drain their energy and give as little ball as possible to their backs. Fardy coming on at 60 minutes is ideal for that.

I'd pick DK and Larmour on the wings and give Larmour explicit instructions that it's ok to run straight and take contact every now and again.

Great to have Henshaw back.

Fardy has to be involved. We need to play an 80 minute game of non stop industry up front. We need to drain their energy and give as little ball as possible to their backs. Fardy coming on at 60 minutes is ideal for that.

He is. The final 20 minutes against Toulouse in Januray was the Fardy show. He was a complete pain in the arse, dominating the ruck and lifting the physicality up front when Toulouse were dead on their feet.

Even if he doesn't start, he'll be a critical player for the final 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Impressed by Jack Dunne today, looks a prospect. Surprised by people saying JGP was good, thought his passing was atrocious (albeit it was windy)

Not the ideal leadup to the big one next weekend, Leinster haven't won in 3 games now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A funny day at the game, we weren't dreadful but we had lapses, which a very sharp Glasgow took advantage of, makes me wonder where that was in their Saracens game.

We had a lot of positives, Toner and Henshaw needed the spin, Rob Kearney looked fresh, even Joe Tomane had a good first half, which is a start. Obviously Furlong isn't ideal, but he strolled off so lets hope it was just extreme caution. Our kicking game is miles off the mark however.

Munster will bemoan the lack of a favour, but frankly they can blame Glasgow's motivation. But by accident we have contributed to some fascinating final day fixtures, 3 of the 7 games have huge consequences.

And for a P.S., Joe Schmidt's interview in the Laighin Out after was really great, funny, nostalgic, emotional, refreshing and empowering really, he's a very clever speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Nick Mccarthy was de-registered from European squad so it's pretty much done. Lowe won't be playing. No way you could play osullivan based on yesterday

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clegg wrote: »
    We're in a bit of a quandary regarding selection for next week. We look predictable in attack without Lowe in the side, but JGP is our best scrum half at the minute. Patterson isn't ready to be in the squad for a European semi final. Fardy must be in the squad as well.

I really don’t know where the Patterson element is coming into it. It’s clear as day that the coaches prefer O’Sullivan.

Biggest headache for next week is who we pick in our back three and that's on the basis of Lowe not being available. DK has been excellent in his all round game in recent times and is probably our best performing winger. Rob Kearney looked decent yesterday and his experience and guidance could be important next week.

Larmour and Byrne provide another dimension in attack. I think I would go with Byrne at 23 and the others starting.

I think the rest of the team is pretty much locked down aside from tight head and outhalf due to injuries. I'd be tempted to stick with Ross Byrne even if Sexton is passed fit due to a lack of game time and form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Both Adam Byrne and Larmour were limping after the game yesterday. Byrne has his quad iced and Larmour seemed in serious discomfort. It’s possible that injury may yet play a part in selections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Biggest headache for next week is who we pick in our back three and that's on the basis of Lowe not being available. DK has been excellent in his all round game in recent times and is probably our best performing winger. Rob Kearney looked decent yesterday and his experience and guidance could be important next week.

Larmour and Byrne provide another dimension in attack. I think I would go with Byrne at 23 and the others starting.

I think the rest of the team is pretty much locked down aside from tight head and outhalf due to injuries. I'd be tempted to stick with Ross Byrne even if Sexton is passed fit due to a lack of game time and form.

In your opinion, what is the likely lineup?

1. Healy, 2. Cronin, 3. Furlong*,
    4. Toner, 5. Ryan,
    6. Ruddock, 7. O’Brien, 8. Conan,
    9. McGrath, 10. Sexton,
    12. Henshaw, 13. Ringrose,
    11. D. Kearney, 14. Larmour,
    15. R. Kearney.

16. Tracy, 17. E. Byrne, 18. Porter*, 19. Fardy, 20. Deegan, 21. Gibson-Park, 22. R. Byrne, 23. A. Byrne.

* if Furlong’s injury is going to keep him out then Porter to 3. And Bent to 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is there anything to be said for starting Fardy in the backrow with Rudds to openside.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for starting Fardy in the backrow with Rudds to openside.

I think SOB went well enough yesterday to stay in the starting 15, especially given Fardy's ability as an impact sub to come on and just torture Toulouse at the ruck and in defence after 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Faugheen wrote: »
    I really don’t know where the Patterson element is coming into it. It’s clear as day that the coaches prefer O’Sullivan.

It's much of a muchness though. Neither are ready to be selected in a European Semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think people are writing off Lowe's chance of starting far too easily.

I think there's a good chance of Leo starting him next week. DK has certainly earned a spot this week though so who knows. I think it's a 50/50 shot if Lowe starts or misses out.

I think people are writing off Lowe's chance of starting far too easily.

I think there's a good chance of Leo starting him next week. DK has certainly earned a spot this week though so who knows. I think it's a 50/50 shot if Lowe starts or misses out.

It's not so much writing off Lowe, it's more we have to have JGP on the bench without a shadow of a doubt, and then it's a shootout between Fardy and Lowe.

If Fardy isn't on the bench, our options are Dunne/Kearney/Connors for 2nd row cover, which aren't really up to scratch yet for a champions cup semi-final, and with Toner only back one game after a long enough layoff, we can't expect him to play the full 80.

It's much the same situation as last year where Lowe missed out on the bigger games due to the Kolpak quota.

Really wouldn't be surprised if Lowe wants to look elsewhere after next season. It's nobody's fault really but this will be two seasons in a row where he misses the biggest games.

I hope that isn't the case and thus is just an overreaction on my part. But players want to play every game they'll available for. And he just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Really wouldn't be surprised if Lowe wants to look elsewhere after next season. It's nobody's fault really but this will be two seasons in a row where he misses the biggest games.

I hope that isn't the case and thus is just an overreaction on my part. But players want to play every game they'll available for. And he just can't.

Would be silly logic given that would no longer be an issue next season

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

It's not so much writing off Lowe, it's more we have to have JGP on the bench without a shadow of a doubt, and then it's a shootout between Fardy and Lowe.

If Fardy isn't on the bench, our options are Dunne/Kearney/Connors for 2nd row cover, which aren't really up to scratch yet for a champions cup semi-final, and with Toner only back one game after a long enough layoff, we can't expect him to play the full 80.

It's much the same situation as last year where Lowe missed out on the bigger games due to the Kolpak quota.

I thought mick Kearney was injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think SOB went well enough yesterday to stay in the starting 15, especially given Fardy's ability as an impact sub to come on and just torture Toulouse at the ruck and in defence after 60 minutes.

I think they'll start Deegan myself. He's been outstanding, whereas SOB hasn't shown anything to warrant starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This 3 into 2 issue will be gone at the end of this season. So he only has a few more weeks to put up with it. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don’t think Toland watches any of the games, head down reading the waffle he has written on the back of his hand.

He kept on saying 5 penalties to their one, when we had new advantage and so on making it about 5 to their 4?

Would Lowe be in the team on current form?

I know he brings an attacking creativity that none of our other wingers, even Larmour, can match - but he hasn't been great.

Maybe that's harsh given he hasn't had any run of games.

If Fardy isn't on the bench, our options are Dunne/Kearney/Connors for 2nd row cover, which aren't really up to scratch yet quota.

Kearney's season is over and Connors is a back row (he wore 19 last night due to us having no alternative really) so it's Jack Dunne into the 23 for a European semi final a week after his first ever start i.e. it's not happening.

Fardy is in the 23 barring a big shock.

Kearney's season is over and Connors is a back row (he wore 19 last night due to us having no alternative really) so it's Jack Dunne into the 23 for a European semi final a week after his first ever start i.e. it's not happening.

Fardy is in the 23 barring a big shock.

Dunne isn't even registered afaik

The only fit option is Molony who doesn't seem to be on the radar at all.

Dunne isn't even registered afaik

The only fit option is Molony who doesn't seem to be on the radar at all.

Molony's out injured as well, was struggling with a back problem according to the injury update ahead of yesterday's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Sounds as if Tomane's coming good? It's amazing what showing a bit of faith in a player can do. It's just a pity it's one rule for Tomane, and another rule for Conor O'Brien and Jimmy O'Brien. Some animals are more equal than others, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sounds as if Tomane's coming good? It's amazing what showing a bit of faith in a player can do. It's just a pity it's one rule for Tomane, and another rule for Conor O'Brien and Jimmy O'Brien. Some animals are more equal than others, it seems.

Young Irish players who might stay long term and are being paid buttons will always get an easier run from fans and the media than highly paid short term foreign signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Young Irish players who might stay long term and are being paid buttons will always get an easier run from fans and the media than highly paid short term foreign signings.

I mean faith from the coaches.

• Advertisement

I'd have problems with the coaches if they lost faith in a player after less than 10 appearances for Leinster. It's simply been good management from Cullen and Lancaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement