Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I mean faith from the coaches.

I would imagine the coaches would put more faith in a player who has multiple caps for the Wallabies than two raw young lads.

O'Briens Conor and Jimmy have plenty of time on their hands. Pound-for-pound, right now, Tomane ****s on them from a great height. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dunne isn't even registered afaik

The only fit option is Molony who doesn't seem to be on the radar at all.

Molony's out injured as well, was struggling with a back problem according to the injury update ahead of yesterday's game.
    Yeah, seems to be one of those problematic back issues that locks get once in a while and is very vague in the prognosis. That's 4 games in a row with no sign of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't feature again this season.

It's a real shame Kearney and Molony suffered these injuries as they were both having fine seasons and deserved some involvement in the latter stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think I'd go for the following against Toulouse:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Max Deegan
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Robert Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Max Deegan
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Robert Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Not a hope that ROL or Barry Daly starts on the wing ahead of Dave Kearney on his form. SOB will likely start at 7. Can't see Cronin dropped either.

I think Lowe starts too but obviously requires a shuffle elsewhere.

Long time since I've seen Rob Kearney or Ed Byrne called by their full first names, are you either of their mothers and have they been bold? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

15. Robert Kearney

Hello Demented Mole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not a hope that ROL or Barry Daly starts on the wing ahead of Dave Kearney on his form. SOB will likely start at 7. Can't see Cronin dropped either.

I think Lowe starts too but obviously requires a shuffle elsewhere.

Long time since I've seen Rob Kearney or Ed Byrne called by their full first names, are you either of their mothers and have they been bold? :D

A shuffle where? Fardy is almost on the bench by default at this point - based on the Euro squad it is either him or Ruddock covering second row. JGP is not far away - there are options but they are O'Sullivan or Patterson so not real ones. Lowe isn't getting near the squad on that basis alone, never mind his ropey form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I know Richie is only in it for the wind up when not including, but I think we forget just how good Henshaw is at 12. We've missed him so much this season in blue and in green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Toulouse in a dog fight with Clermont. Holmes gone off after failing a HIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Toulouse in a dog fight with Clermont. Holmes gone off after failing a HIA.

Very lucky not to get a red there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Edged out a very tough game. Will be some sore bodies in the Toulouse camp this week.

• Advertisement

I've seen several people say they reckon Lowe will be selected. Can they reveal whether they think Hugh O'Sullivan or Josh Murphy (the only other fit player who has started at lock in our European squad) will be in the 23 next week in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Max Deegan
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Robert Kearney

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Id honestly have Calean on the bench ahead of SOB

Edged out a very tough game. Will be some sore bodies in the Toulouse camp this week.

They won though. Which generates momentum for next Sunday. We have none going into the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    I've seen several people say they reckon Lowe will be selected. Can they reveal whether they think Hugh O'Sullivan or Josh Murphy (the only other fit player who has started at lock in our European squad) will be in the 23 next week in that case?

It'll clearly be Patterson on the bench for scrum half :p

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    They won though. Which generates momentum for next Sunday. We have none going into the game.

Meh. I don't think it's much of an issue...

Actually a days less recoup for them doesn't suit.

We are well used to bringing players in cold for one off big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I suggested Lowe and I'd say its probably about 50/50 and will depend a lot on training, tomorrow's injury update among other things. Lukes recent injury would have me maybe lean towards Fardy missing out IF Lowe plays.

I'm not saying he's nailed on by any means, I just think if you're breaking it down to what Lowe could bring for 80 mins versus say Fardy off the bench for 20/30, it becomes a trickier call.

As I said though, if it is Fardy and JGP who make the cut, I won't be shocked - I think all three have a good claim and benefit to being in the 23.

Joe Tekori might be in front of a citing committee. Was yellow carded for a high tackle but looked like a direct shoulder to the head of a Clermont player.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Joe Tekori might be in front of a citing committee. Was yellow carded for a high tackle but looked like a direct shoulder to the head of a Clermont player.

Has anyone got a link to this in full? Watching it in real time it looked like Tekori shoved the hookers arm up behind his back leaving him very vulnerable as cover came across and landed on him. I'd be surprised if he hasn't a bad shoulder injury along with the head injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

There is a video up on YouTube now

Shoulder made contact with the head and knocked a guy out cold.

It was a farce that it wasn't a straight red. As it stands, there's no way he should be playing next week. But, just as it was with the provinces in the past, the T14 have a funny habit of working around these things.

Hasn't it been the case previously in Frande where the hearing may not be for another week and he won't be suspended until then i.e. after the Leinster game?

I'm not sure he would have been starting anyway but he is well able to make a big impact from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

I suggested Lowe and I'd say its probably about 50/50 and will depend a lot on training, tomorrow's injury update among other things. Lukes recent injury would have me maybe lean towards Fardy missing out IF Lowe plays.

I'm not saying he's nailed on by any means, I just think if you're breaking it down to what Lowe could bring for 80 mins versus say Fardy off the bench for 20/30, it becomes a trickier call.

As I said though, if it is Fardy and JGP who make the cut, I won't be shocked - I think all three have a good claim and benefit to being in the 23.

I think it is way too risky going into a euro semi with a totally inexperienced 9 on the bench and Ruddock covering lock in a game of this magnitude - Fardy and JGP to make the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shoulder made contact with the head and knocked a guy out cold.

It was a farce that it wasn't a straight red. As it stands, there's no way he should be playing next week. But, just as it was with the provinces in the past, the T14 have a funny habit of working around these things.

Hasn't it been the case previously in Frande where the hearing may not be for another week and he won't be suspended until then i.e. after the Leinster game?

I'm not sure he would have been starting anyway but he is well able to make a big impact from the bench.

T14 Disciplinary Commission meets on a Wednesday, there's been shenanigans before though that if the player isn't cited before Wednesday, they won't have their hearing until the following Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

For all the doom and gloom lately leinster still have the squad to win this thing, obviously anything can happen in a game but I think it is in leinsters hands, they have the experience and talent to close out these games against all three remaining sides

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For all the doom and gloom lately leinster still have the squad to win this thing, obviously anything can happen in a game but I think it is in leinsters hands, they have the experience and talent to close out these games against all three remaining sides

Yeah, we've beaten all 3 in the last 12-13 months. Our squad isn't hugely different since. We're nowhere near our form from last season, but we're still going to be a very hard team to beat.

I know Richie is only in it for the wind up when not including, but I think we forget just how good Henshaw is at 12. We've missed him so much this season in blue and in green.

I dunno. He couldn't get ahead of an outhalf (Farrell) or a league backrower who can't pass (Te'o) for the Lions. What makes you think he'd have been an upgrade on Aki for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I dunno. He couldn't get ahead of an outhalf (Farrell) or a league backrower who can't pass (Te'o) for the Lions. What makes you think he'd have been an upgrade on Aki for Ireland?

Because people change?

Because people change?

How do you mean? Henshaw's best performance was probably prior to the Lions tour, against the All Blacks in Chicago in 2016. It's not as if he's come on markedly since 2017.

The narrative from some people seems to be that Ireland would have been a lot better off if Henshaw had been available to play 12 instead of Aki in the 6N. I'm not sure I buy in to that. Henshaw's defence is excellent when he's playing 12. He's probably a higher level player than Aki. But he's also quite limited in attack. Aki's probably a more rounded attacking player as a 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How do you mean? Henshaw's best performance was probably prior to the Lions tour, against the All Blacks in Chicago in 2016. It's not as if he's come on markedly since 2017.

The narrative from some people seems to be that Ireland would have been a lot better off if Henshaw had been available to play 12 instead of Aki in the 6N. I'm not sure I buy in to that. Henshaw's defence is excellent when he's playing 12. He's probably a higher level player than Aki. But he's also quite limited in attack. Aki's probably a more rounded attacking player as a 12.

Leo one week
    Tomane the next
    Neither of those got the right reaction so hit an Irish player next....sure might as well be henshaw

You do win a prize, your the first person in any forum/radio/podcast/Connacht fan who has ever said Aki is more rounded to Henshaw, so congrats on that one. Does question, again, your rugby opinion

I will answer the lions question, let’s just say Garland like a particular centre which Teo fitted the mould, only after he lost the first match and the press hammering him to play Farrell did he that route...if henshaw got picked you would of had up roar

Let’s move on anyway....I’m sure you can come up with some other extraordinary idea to try cause a storm

Ps I’m not slagging off Aki, he is great player as well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tomane has superior hair so should start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Haven't seen it here but the 'A' team won on Sunday night NE FreeJacks 12 Leinster 'A' 55. What a pointless tour, my within 20 points was even too generous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement