Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well the match looked like it was over early in the second half and yet there was still time. Often that just means that the lead extends, but this squad seem to have gained the belief that they can win no matter what the scoreboard says. If that's the worst game of the season, we'll be fine. If not, we're screwed. :D

On the other hand, whoever did the set design for Eir Sport needs to be taken around the back pronto and shot with a shovel. A white background FFS? And the camera that was on Luke picked up the right side of Tommy Bowe's head. Poor old Donncha had to bend almost double to read his notes on the 'coffee' table. It's not as though they don't have stuff to copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tomane was really disappointing. His defence was obviously a problem but he lost the ball in contact again and again. I don't doubt that he's a good player, but maybe in the back 3 rather than at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Tomane was really disappointing. His defence was obviously a problem but he lost the ball in contact again and again. I don't doubt that he's a good player, but maybe in the back 3 rather than at centre.

Problem is we don't really need cover in the back three at the moment, but a serious shortage of centres.

We've Lowe, Larmour, Rob K, Dave K, Adam Byrne, Ferg, Barry Daly, and potentially stick one of the academy lads in if needed. Out of those only Rob and Larmour will be part of the International squad.

In the centre we've Ringrose, Henshaw, Reid, Tom Daly, ROL and Tomane. Ferg can cover too. The O'Briens are a bit green to be sticking in, although I would hope we'll at least see one or two appearances.

So we won't have our starting centre partnership for international windows, and Reid will likely be 10 cover due to Sexton/Byrne being part of the international squad. And with Frawley currently injured he'll be there for a while.

I reckon we will see him there eventually, but I think for the time being centre is where he'll stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1035650672505630721?s=20

All the scores. JGP's try was a thing of beauty, the weight and accuracy of the kick and then to be so quick to follow it in.

The defending though. Tonight was RoL in a nutshell, bamboozled defenders all night but just can't nail his tackles.

• Advertisement

Ross Byrne was given the official motm award but for me it should've went to either Fardy or Ruddock. Two absolute workhorses and did so much to get us out of the hole we were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ross Byrne was given the official motm award but for me it should've went to either Fardy or Ruddock. Two absolute workhorses and did so much to get us out of the hole we were in.

Although technically Fardy did a bit of digging to get us into that hole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

salmocab wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Team for Scarlets away?

Think I'd go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Rhys Ruddock
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. David Kearney

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Oisín Dowling
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Fergus McFadden

Get the sub front row on early for a bit of impact

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Team for Scarlets away?

Think I'd go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. James Tracy
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ross Molony
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Rhys Ruddock
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. David Kearney

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Oisín Dowling
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Noel Reid
    23. Fergus McFadden

Get the sub front row on early for a bit of impact

As bad as he was, can't see any way Tomane will be dropped from the squad entirely nor can I see the two O'Briens starting together at centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

How did Doris go? I was surprised he got the nod over Deegan.

Our midfield defence was a mess.

So let's drop two capped internationals for lads who've barely played for their provincial side. Stick them against the second best side in the league. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think Fardy may drop out next week to let Lowe in. Although that would leave us light in the second row, maybe Ruddock could be the cover.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

salmocab wrote: »

This. Ruddock MOTM for me. Colossus all night and led by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I wonder if we might see Cronin back next week. He only got 24 mins off the bench in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

So let's drop two capped internationals for lads who've barely played for their provincial side. Stick them against the second best side in the league. No bother.

Yeah O'Loughlin said in his interview last week that in Nacewa's absence it is the centres who are leading defence with Ross Byrne leading the attack. They had a bad night but I imagine they'll spend the week working on defence rather than scrap everything they've done over the summer and start again with an entirely new combination.

On the other hand, if either of the O'Briens are to make a breakthrough they really need to do it soon as they're starting to run out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just watched him debut off the bench there.

I wish the guy all the personal success in the world, but the sight of him in red made me sick up in my mouth a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Larbre34 wrote: »

I wish the guy all the personal success in the world, but the sight of him in red made me sick up in my mouth a little bit.

I turned it off. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Odd thing to specify but I thought the line kicking from both outhalves last night was superb. The distance from the Blues lad was sensational as was the accuracy from Ross Byrne. He measured a couple to absolute perfection.

His kicking from hand was generally good. Found lots of space late on with a territorial kick which allowed a big chase forcing Morgan to skew into touch. One poorly judged chip in the second half and iffy call to go for a grubber early on but they both seemed to be more communication issues more than execution.

• Advertisement

Are you saying there's no possibility an inexperienced centre might be a better defender of the centre channel than an international wing?

Seems like a fairly flimsy premise to me

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are you saying there's no possibility an inexperienced centre might be a better defender of the centre channel than an international wing?

Seems like a fairly flimsy premise to me

Tomane has played more professional games at center than both the O'Briens combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Larbre34 wrote: »

I felt that way about both Felix and Andrew Conway for a while, but then I remembered their empty trophy cabinets which cheered me up a bit!

At least JC and Jordie had some medals in their pockets before they took the walk of shame!

Tomane has played more professional games at center than both the O'Briens combined

Is he any good at it though? That's the question

But of course he'll be afforded far more opportunity to bed in and find his feet than Conor O'Brien has been, which is completely backwards if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is he any good at it though? That's the question

But of course he'll be afforded far more opportunity to bed in and find his feet than Conor O'Brien has been, which is completely backwards if you ask me

I have no idea if he's any good at it yet. I've only seen him there once for Leinster. I've seen both O'Briens quite a bit and neither are outstanding, so I'm interested to see what he can do. However obviously if the coaches thought he wasn't then Leinster wouldn't be starting him, so clearly Lancaster and Cullen think he is.

The idea that Leinster, of all teams, would start an NIQ ahead of a better young Irish player is madness, and its quite clear this is all really just part of your weird crusade against foreign players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Turnipman wrote: »
    I felt that way about both Felix and Andrew Conway for a while, but then I remembered their empty trophy cabinets which cheered me up a bit!

At least JC and Jordie had some medals in their pockets before they took the walk of shame!

Happiness does not come from the failure of others. I think it's great that Leinster, athy and blackrock are developing Irish talent, whether they stay or not, it all contributes to a positive culture at those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Thought all the talk about Tomane being woeful seem to be a bit premature. He has all the attributes to be a top Leinster player just doesn’t seem to know the systems yet. He gave away a few soft line breaks in midfield but you could equally blame Kearney McFadden for not making tackles on their men. Some people seem to say the line was broken and it was not their fault but I believe the whole back line were sloppy and lazy when it came to defence to pin the blame on Tomani alone is a weak position to take.

Ross Byrne seems to want an armchair ride every time he takes the field and isn’t willing to fight for good position and possession when he gets sloppy ball. He doesn’t seem to have the leadership attributes to Marshall the team when times are hard . His kicking is not at all to the standard of pro14 and relying on teammates to take up your bread and butter fly half duties shows a frail ness in character.

Was very impressed what I saw of Dorris. Involved in a lot of the early opening physical exchanges and held his own despite being only 19/20 years of age. Could easily see him usurping Deegan and Conan in the next year or two and potentially being Ireland contention soon after that. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Heymans wrote: »
    Ross Byrne seems to want an armchair ride every time he takes the field and isn’t willing to fight for good position and possession when he gets sloppy ball. He doesn’t seem to have the leadership attributes to Marshall the team when times are hard . His kicking is not at all to the standard of pro14 and relying on teammates to take up your bread and butter fly half duties shows a frail ness in character.

You're absolutely talking out of your hole here.

You're absolutely talking out of your hole here.

Yup. Had his ankle strapped up after taking the ball into heavy contact and didn't take the next kick as a result.

Basically the opposite of what Heymans said lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Heymans wrote: »
    Thought all the talk about Tomane being woeful seem to be a bit premature. He has all the attributes to be a top Leinster player just doesn’t seem to know the systems yet. He gave away a few soft line breaks in midfield but you could equally blame Kearney McFadden for not making tackles on their men. Some people seem to say the line was broken and it was not their fault but I believe the whole back line were sloppy and lazy when it came to defence to pin the blame on Tomani alone is a weak position to take

I’m pretty sure that everyone who said that Tomane was woeful on Friday also said that they’ve no doubt that he will improve as he beds in. Nobody is prematurely writing him off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement